CBS.com: This year’s version of Dak Prescott = Mason Rudolph

1 hour ago, Buffalo Bills Detective said:

I give up.  I hope they stay at 12 and take Rudolph at 22.  Then, we can sit on our butts and wait 3 years for him to debut and hope and pray that he's learned how to read a legitimate NFL defense and make throws through tight windows over the middle.  WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!

Good now we're in the same place with these QBs. I feel like that about all of them except Mayfield or Jackson.

58 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Are you talking about Gunner? If the criticisms get too heated he puts on his worn out raincoat and gets lost in the crowd at the neighborhood pub.

No, the CBS guy is not afraid to go against the grain. All of the analysts at nfl.com and ESPN have very similar opinions. It gets boring reading the same thing over and over. I'm sure NFL teams have very different opinions on a lot of these prospects. If Rudolph ends up being the best QB from this class he is going to look like a genius. 

It's nice to see some coming around to Rudolph.  Lots of us on here have been saying he is the guy in the 1st, and have been bashed for it.  I personally think he is the guy Beane was referring to after trading into #12, when he said to his  guys "why are  we looking at this guy?  He's not going to be available at 22"....or something like that.

4 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

If we draft Rudolph over Rosen or Mayfield I’ll be pissed. If I’m wrong, I’m wrong. I am not passing on the superior talent (especially in Rosen’s case). 

Oh I think there is no way we draft hin over them. He is the backup option if they can't get up only I suspect and that is how I view him too. 

41 minutes ago, PIZ said:

It's nice to see some coming around to Rudolph.  Lots of us on here have been saying he is the guy in the 1st, and have been bashed for it.  I personally think he is the guy Beane was referring to after trading into #12, when he said to his  guys "why are  we looking at this guy?  He's not going to be available at 22"....or something like that.

Rightfully so.

5 hours ago, HappyDays said:

The thing that worries me with Rudolph is he comes from the Air Raid offense and there are very few if any Air Raid QBs that have made the transition to the NFL. That being said he seems smart enough to figure out NFL offenses if he's given time to develop. This video made me a believer:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/0ap3000000919190/Combine-Whiteboard-Mason-Rudolph-with-Steve-Mariucci

His arm strength doesn't worry me. It is good enough for the NFL. He'll have to get accustomed to NFL speed and learn to work through progressions faster. I'd take him in the 20s and hope his football smarts make him a good one-year project. If he picks up a pro offense quickly enough he could see starting time before his rookie season is over.

I still don't get why the NFL teams refuse to adapt to what QBs are comfortable with in college.  Who dictated what an NFL offense should look like?   If a QB excelled in college in an Air Raid offense, why doesn't the NFL team that drafts him hire an OC that has been successful with that offense and implement it?  Why make the QBs have to "transition to an NFL offense"?

The most infamous NFL OC/head coach that actually did this was June Jones with the run-and-shoot.  I don't understand why there haven't been more.

6 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

If we draft Rudolph over Rosen or Mayfield I’ll be pissed. If I’m wrong, I’m wrong. I am not passing on the superior talent (especially in Rosen’s case). 

I don't think it's a matter of drafting him over Rosen or Mayfield.  I think it's more of in case we can't get Rosen or Mayfield.

Rudolph has a million question marks coming out of a bs gimmicky offense and he did nothing in the offseason to answer those questions. He had to fake an injury to get out of the senior bowl where he was going to look like a fool vs better players like Mayfield, Allen, even probably White and Lauletta. Then he gets to the combine and doesn't know how to do a 3 step drop and was literally throwing the ball into the ground because he's too unathletic to figure out the concept.

Chris Trepasso last year grabbed on to the idea that this was a senior with ideal size and stats so he must be good so I'll make a name for myself by going against the grain and say he's the top QB prospect. Perhaps at one point he was up there but then you need to evaluate how this player translates to the next level and nothing he has shown is NFL caliber. I would urge anyone who is on the Rudolph train to watch the tape for yourselves and let me know where you see an NFL level throw because it's all lob passes and dink and dunks

I've never been down on Rudolph. I just think 12 is a reach. That said, QBs are usually taken too early because it's the most important position.

His velocity is something that can be improved at the next level.

My biggest question mark is actually his leadership potential. I admittedly know very little about his personal makeup, but from interviews and stories, he just seems like he could be too immature (in terms of life experience/relatability) at this time to be expected to lead a group of men. It could be a non-issue or it could be a problem. Who knows. Maybe McDermott's "process" is perfect for mitigating that, if it's an issue.

3 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I've never been down on Rudolph. I just think 12 is a reach. That said, QBs are usually taken too early because it's the most important position.

His velocity is something that can be improved at the next level.

My biggest question mark is actually his leadership potential. I admittedly know very little about his personal makeup, but from interviews and stories, he just seems like he could be too immature (in terms of life experience/relatability) at this time to be expected to lead a group of men. It could be a non-issue or it could be a problem. Who knows. Maybe McDermott's "process" is perfect for mitigating that, if it's an issue.

At some point this class is going to hit a wall and guys will fall. Something like 6 QBs in the top half of the first round after one of the best free agent classes in a long time seems crazy. Especially if some GMs see a few of the guys as interchangeable.

2 hours ago, billspro said:

No, the CBS guy is not afraid to go against the grain. All of the analysts at nfl.com and ESPN have very similar opinions. It gets boring reading the same thing over and over. I'm sure NFL teams have very different opinions on a lot of these prospects. If Rudolph ends up being the best QB from this class he is going to look like a genius. 

I was responding in jest because Gunner has also not been reluctant to go against the grain. :)

Just now, billspro said:

Gunner does a very good job with his analysis. 

Gunner, Bandit and Bloke are terrific. What I find most interesting is not when they usually agree but when they have fundamental differences. I believe that it is Bandito who embraces Josh Allen more than the other two stalwarts. On this issue I lean toward the Bandit. 

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

I think I like Rudolph more than most, but NOT over Rosen or Mayfield! 

If you like Rudolph but prefer either Rosen or Mayfield then the question is whether it would be worth it to move up to get one of the qbs you like better or stay at 12 and get Rudolph and still have a full complement of picks? If either Rosen ,Mayfield or Allen slides then the price for moving up becomes less costly. 

My feeling is if you have a conviction on a qb or two then be aggressive. If there isn't much disparity in rankings then be less aggressive or simply wait for the draft to come to you. It's not an easy call. If I had to guess right now I would say that the Bills are targeting Rosen and Allen. If a reasonable deal can be made then I see the Bills making the move for one of them. 

8 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Beane might not be able to move up for either of them.  Or he might not want to move up for either of them for whatever reason.  No reason to be pissed unless you know their draft board.

9 hours ago, billspro said:

It is definitely a breath of fresh air to have a draft analyst formulate an opinion not in line with everyone else. 

At this time of the year, it is hard to believe who is telling the truth.  Everyone is getting someone to talk about them.  The stakes have become way too high....This is an exciting year when 6 QBs are likely to go in the top 15 and may be even a few other in the top half of the 2nd round.....

1 hour ago, reddogblitz said:

Dak Prescott's playoff record is the same as Hotrod's even with a monster run game. 0-1.

Not good enough.

Prescott went 12-4, won the division, and went to the playoffs as a rookie. Tyrod won 8 games and went to the playoffs in his 7th season. He also had an all-pro RB.

Not sure you can say Dak isn’t “good enough” at this point. 

24 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Prescott went 12-4, won the division, and went to the playoffs as a rookie. Tyrod won 8 games and went to the playoffs in his 7th season. He also had an all-pro RB.

Not sure you can say Dak isn’t “good enough” at this point. 

Show me the baby.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Show me the baby.

We all want things. People in hell want ice water. I want you to stop calling TT “hotrod” and to get rid of the TT wearing a fedora avatar. You want Dak’s baby. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Dak was Dak because of the O Line and Zeke.

Games are won in the trenches.  A top 5 O line makes any good QB, great. 

ALMOST any QB, but yes, win the line of scrimmage and you should win the game. 

11 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...what about 22 or with the first 2nd?..........

I can't see any reason to take Rudolph before the very late 2nd round. Yes, some team might reach for him. Yes, he may turn out better than predicted, but most draftniks say he will be very average. I wouldn't mind taking him late on day 2 as a 2nd option, but please not in round 1.

19 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Dak was Dak because of the O Line and Zeke.

Games are won in the trenches.  A top 5 O line makes any good QB, great. 

Great? I think that's a stretch. How about "much better"?

Article on how finding the next draft steal is an inexact science and very difficult to identify. It basically talks about how Dak stepped into an ideal situation for success in terms of players around him. Interesting read. It also mentioned how Cincy had Andy Dalton #2 on their board after Cam that year. They still waited and did not overdraft him. 

https://www.theringer.com/2017/4/24/16042746/nfl-draft-quarterback-steals-dak-prescott-russell-wilson-4ec09ab7f4a1

Last season Jerod Evans of Vigninia Tech was said to be the next Dak. 

Oh and here is an article that lists the top 5 possibilities of being the next Dak Prescott from the 2017 draft. #1 on the list: Nathan Peterman

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/nfl-draft-2017-5-quarterbacks-who-could-be-next-dak-prescott-120516

This what someone wrote about Nathan Peterman: 

"Peterman wasn't asked to be "the man" at Pitt, but when you watch his game tape, it's hard to say that he wasn't. 

I love his footwork. I love his accuracy. I love his tenacity. 

He doesn't have the best arm in the world. He rolled out on a lot of bootlegs. He doesn't have a totally ideal frame. 

To all that, I say put on the Clemson tape. 

This guy is the top sleeper at the position and could prove to be a Day Two steal." 

So yeah. We can find articles that defend our guys, or we can do true analysis and see that Rudolph is a guy who will not be able to make NFL level throws. Teams are trying to push him up the board to get a team to panic which forces talent down the board. 

13 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Dak Prescott's playoff record is the same as Hotrod's even with a monster run game. 0-1.

Not good enough.

Oh jeez. Prescott was 24-38 for 302 yards, 3 tds, and 1 turnover (pick) for a 103.2 rating. The Cowboys scored 31 points and lost on a miracle play by Rodgers. Prescott did not "lose" the game.

People, be better than this. (Also, Yolo: the Cowboys went 13-3, not 12-4.)

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The comparison in the article is about playing style, not being a “steal” like Dak was. 

How can that be true though?

One guy was a zone read QB who rushed for 2,500 yards.

The other guy is purely a spread pocket passer who rushed for 250 yards. 

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

How can that be true though?

One guy was a zone read QB who rushed for 2,500 yards.

The other guy is purely a spread pocket passer who rushed for 250 yards. 

I guess you will need to read it... it’s just one analyst’s opinion

Edited by YoloinOhio

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The comparison in the article is about playing style, not being a “steal” like Dak was. 

Trappaso's argument is just simply wrong. It is inaccurate. Plus I have to take all of his articles with a grain of salt because he clearly has an agenda when it comes to his Rudolph love. 

"Prescott didn't enter the NFL with a huge arm" 

This is wrong. Comparing Dak's arm strength to Rudolph is such a lazy way to try and support his argument. 

Here is Greg Cosell:

Arm strength is not an issue with Prescott. He can make every required NFL throw. He doesn’t have the arm strength of Joe Flacco or Matt Stafford, but he doesn’t have limitations like many quarterbacks around the league.

Rudolph has a limitations in his arm strength. Dak had a really good arm, huge hands, and physical specimen. He dropped because the spread offense and his arrest. What makes them most similar is that they often threw to wide open receivers and struggled making accurate tight window throws. The Cowboys offense allows Dak to continue to throw to mostly open receivers. Plus he fell into a great situation. The Cowboys only took him because they couldn't trade up for Paxton Lynch and missed out on Connor Cook. 

He was a second round pick who fell to the fourth. Rudolph is a third round pick who people want to draft at 12. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Trappaso's argument is just simply wrong. It is inaccurate. Plus I have to take all of his articles with a grain of salt because he clearly has an agenda when it comes to his Rudolph love. 

"Prescott didn't enter the NFL with a huge arm

This is wrong. Comparing Dak's arm strength to Rudolph is such a lazy way to try and support his argument. 

Here is Greg Cosell:

Arm strength is not an issue with Prescott. He can make every required NFL throw. He doesn’t have the arm strength of Joe Flacco or Matt Stafford, but he doesn’t have limitations like many quarterbacks around the league.

Rudolph has a limitations in his arm strength. Dak had a really good arm, huge hands, and physical specimen. He dropped because the spread offense and his arrest. What makes them most similar is that they often threw to wide open receivers and struggled making accurate tight window throws. The Cowboys offense allows Dak to continue to throw to mostly open receivers. Plus he fell into a great situation. The Cowboys only took him because they couldn't trade up for Paxton Lynch and missed out on Connor Cook. 

He was a second round pick who fell to the fourth. Rudolph is a third round pick who people want to draft at 12. 

1. The bolded part seems to be the qualifier as "huge" in that Dak's is fine, it's not just Stafford like. Rudolph has average arm strength as well, his downfield throws show he's got the arm but not that high speed velocity that Josh Allen or Rodgers or Newton have. That's not a deal breaker, plenty of good QBs have average arm strength. Look at the article from 20 years ago when comparing Peyton to Leaf...Peyton wasn't thought to have a "huge" arm either, but we know how that worked out. 

2. As for how it worked out for Cowboys, I'd say they did all right....and yes, sometimes we're protected from our own poor decisions by extraneous factors. Russell Wilson, 3rd, Cousins, 4th, now Dak in 4th....keep in mind, everyone who thinks they KNOW what QBs will do well and which ones won't are simply over confident. Rudolph has had one of the best college careers and he's shown he can throw deep, make progressions - give Trapasso credit for pointing this out and showing you how he's doing it, and is accurate. Can he throw the ball on a frozen rope on the 20 yard out? Probably not right now....but velocity can improve just a notch...and he doesn't need it to be improved that much. The key will be will the OC scheme to fit Rudolph's strengths? But, that could be said about all the QBs, especially the Rookie type and this year seems to be even more in that direction. Rudolph is a decent late 1st to 2nd round guy. He'll be good on the right team in the right system.