RUMOR: Browns to take Wyoming QB Josh Allen #1 Overall per Peter King

On 4/11/2018 at 11:23 AM, Dalton said:

The delta in the ceiling between Darnold and Allen is smaller than the delta between them in the floor.

To me this is a clear risk management decision and Cleveland will select Darnold as a result.

Gotta disagree on both.  Their floors are both rock bottom.  That delta is 0.  Allen actually has a much higher ceiling, although I’d certainly say the odds of him achieving it are even smaller than Darnold’s (which aren’t high). 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BuffaloHokie13 said:

If he comes here I expect that pressure number to be in the high 40's, kind of like the weather.

Allen probably sits a year while McCarron faces the pressure.  Next years draft and FA will presumably greatly improve the oline (plus whatever we add in this draft.)

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

There’s a possibility that the Browns draft Josh Allen No. 1 and LeBron leaves the Cavs all in a span of a little over three months. 

K Bye.

LeBrons as good as gone unless Altman makes some impressive moves.  I just don’t think the Browns could take Allen.  Could they??  

3 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Gotta disagree on both.  Their floors are both rock bottom.  That delta is 0.  Allen actually has a much higher ceiling, although I’d certainly say the odds of him achieving it are even smaller than Darnold’s (which aren’t high). 

A bust is a bust and a bust is rock bottom however you want to slice it. When all is said and done I think that Allen is a riskier pick than Sam Darnold, though they could both bust. Each has a very high ceilings but again, because of Allen's greater downside risk profile he is less likely than Darnold to achieve it IMO. 

21 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

A bust is a bust and a bust is rock bottom however you want to slice it. When all is said and done I think that Allen is a riskier pick than Sam Darnold, though they could both bust. Each has a very high ceilings but again, because of Allen's greater downside risk profile he is less likely than Darnold to achieve it IMO. 

True, but this:
If you bust with a presumably safe pick, nobody is second guessing you. If you bust at the top of the draft taking a guy everyone warned you about, you're a real idiot.

It's said no stock broker ever got fired for telling a client to buy Berkshire Hathaway. But wouldn't buying Netflix five years ago feel pretty good right about now?

19 minutes ago, Tyrod's friend said:

True, but this:
If you bust with a presumably safe pick, nobody is second guessing you. If you bust at the top of the draft taking a guy everyone warned you about, you're a real idiot.

It's said no stock broker ever got fired for telling a client to buy Berkshire Hathaway. But wouldn't buying Netflix five years ago feel pretty good right about now?

Well I agree that not all busts are created equal. I think I saw where Joe Marino predicted that both Darnold and Allen will bust, but I don't think he assigned probability factors. Given his conclusion maybe it really doesn't really matter.

No doubt if Allen realizes his potential whoever picks him is going to look really smart. If he busts the more you sacrifice to get him the dumber you will seem to be. I like Allen but I would not push all my chips on that square. I'd move up for Darnold even if Rosen is my preferred pick.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Lagoon Blues said:

Maybe I am paying more attention this year, but it sure seems like more rumors and flying around this draft than I can ever remember.

Might be that way with no clear cut #1 QB with five that are expected to go in the 1st.

2 minutes ago, Lagoon Blues said:

Maybe I am paying more attention this year, but it sure seems like more rumors and flying around this draft than I can ever remember.

probably just because there are so many QBs.....

Just now, JinxedBill1 said:

Is it Thursday yet?

No, it's Monday...Thursday is in a few days

9 minutes ago, Lagoon Blues said:

Maybe I am paying more attention this year, but it sure seems like more rumors are flying around this draft than I can ever remember.

I think we might be looking at the beginning of the Josh Allen era at 1 Bills Drive. 

• Like (+1) 1

No idea why so much hate on this board over Josh Allen. 

The goal is to win a Super Bowl, correct? What potential better way to do so then pick the QB with the most potential and most atheltism at the position in the last 5-10years. He would come into a great situation where he could sit and learn for a year. Let McCaron start in 2018, then after a big offseason next year in which we have $90 million in cap space, he would come in, & start with a (hopefully) loaded roster. It makes too much sense. 

Its not all about 2018.... its about the next 10 years. Gotta look at the bigger picture here. Beane and McDermontt are buidling for longevity and future... clearly eyeing 2019 and beyond for continual success. 

Trust the process.... Draft Josh Allen 

P.S. I will support whomever the Bills pull the trigger on (preferable Josh Allen, Rosen, or Darnold tho)

5 minutes ago, TOboy said:

Am I mistaken in recalling it was Peter King who originally started the Allen to the Browns talk? And now he's shooting it down?

Exactly....these guys a !@#$in idiots

• Like (+1) 1

Browns take Darnold #1

Barkley goes #2

Rosen or Baker for NYJ at 3

Browns take Allen #4

Mass Hysteria!

Pick 5:  Trade announced:

Bills trade #12 / #22 / #53 / #56 / 2019 1st

Bills get:  Sam Darnold

Browns trade Darnold

Browns get:  #5 / #22 / #53 / 2019 Bills first

Broncos trade #5

Broncos get #12 / #56 / #65

Browns take Chubb #5

The Browns get the same players they could potentially take at 1 and 4 and add #22 / #53 / 2019 Bills 1st

We get Darnold

On 4/2/2018 at 1:22 PM, LedyardCTbillsfan said:

God that would be awesome but I don't buy it.

That would be horrible if we cant move up to number 2, that would mean the Jets would have the choice of Darnold or Mayfield. Cleveland have Big Ben fever if they draft Allen, he might end up being a Big Ben clone but he has a ton of work to do to get there.

If you are the Browns you cannot take Allen.  You just can't, even if he turns out to be good you just can't do it because you don't know if he will be good and you have to make the safest pick at 1 that you can and Allen is not a safe pick at 1.  You go with the guys that have production and experience.  If they don't work out then they don't work out, but if you take Allen and he doesn't work out the consequences are much more serious.

3 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

If you are the Browns you cannot take Allen.  You just can't, even if he turns out to be good you just can't do it because you don't know if he will be good and you have to make the safest pick at 1 that you can and Allen is not a safe pick at 1.  You go with the guys that have production and experience.  If they don't work out then they don't work out, but if you take Allen and he doesn't work out the consequences are much more serious.

I actually think they are in the best position to take Allen. They are clearly promoting TYrod as the starter. He’s getting starting QB treatment around Cleveland. They are setting it up as the QB of the future will be drafted but as a developmental guy. I think they can sell Allen as the high upside guy as they sell Tyrod as the guy who is going to come in an actually win some games for the city, get the team back to being competitive, jmo

contrast that to the Bills, who aren’t really promoting AJ at all and signed him to a backup level deal relatively late in FA. They are setting it up as they are taking the starting QB in the draft. It would be weird to me if the one who needs the most development is their pick. Again  Jmo 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

They are clearly promoting TYrod as the starter. He’s getting starting QB treatment around Cleveland. They are setting it up as the QB of the future will be drafted but as a developmental guy.

On that point:

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I actually think they are in the best position to take Allen. They are clearly promoting TYrod as the starter. He’s getting starting QB treatment around Cleveland. They are setting it up as the QB of the future will be drafted but as a developmental guy. I think they can sell Allen as the high upside guy as they sell Tyrod as the guy who is going to come in an actually win some games for the city, get the team back to being competitive, jmo

contrast that to the Bills, who aren’t really promoting AJ at all and signed him to a backup level deal relatively late in FA. They are setting it up as they are taking the starting QB in the draft. It would be weird to me if the one who needs the most development is their pick. Again  Jmo 

I agree they are in the best position to do so, but to me, you still can't do it.  He's just not as safe as Darnold for them.  The Browns have been in this spot needing a QB too many times and they have missed on a QB too many times.  They have failed so much that they were afraid to take a QB with the #1 pick last year.  They have to make a safer pick.  Given that both will need time (Allen moreso than Darnold) I also agree that Buffalo is not a great spot for Allen.  But if everyone else is gone and he's on the board at 6 or later I'd take him.

22 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

That's a reasonable train of thought. However, if the Bills stay put at 12 and take Allen, while I'm not a big Allen guy, and they keep all of their current picks or even add some through more trades, the argument could be made that AJ was brought in to give himself a one year audition. Not just for the Bills but for other teams to see that he can play in this league....or he can't. Simply put, if the Bills sit still at 12, I think AJ playing out the year is a consideration. IF the Bills trade up into the top 5, then IMHO, I agree with your take. I don't see them taking a guy like Allen at 5 and still needing so much. They would need to take a guy who could at least legit push AJ to start this year.