Bills Sign Newhouse and Bodine

1 hour ago, Bills Freak said:

How, signings for depth & camp. Need 90 for roster 

If you were to compare the quality of the depth of the line from last year to this, and tell me that it was anything but worse, you know you'd be lying to yourself.

Last year
C: Eric Wood and Ryan Groy

This year

C: Eric Groy and Russell Bodine

Replayed at nearly every position along the line.

1 hour ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Doesn’t matter if he can get the ball out on time. People don’t realize how well our line was doing because Taylor held it way too long til someone was wide open. 

Most of the running around he did was because of how long it took him to find a receiver. Not because of the line. 

Lauding Taylor for keeping a play going when he was the cause is took so long to begin with was the main reason people think our line was worse than it was. 

no it was because he could not trust the line, or his receivers. they sucked. Dennison sucked, Castillo still sucks.

AJ could get killed. Peterman is still traumatized

4 minutes ago, Tyrod's friend said:

If you were to compare the quality of the depth of the line from last year to this, and tell me that it was anything but worse, you know you'd be lying to yourself.

Last year
C: Eric Wood and Ryan Groy

This year

C: Eric Groy and Russell Bodine

Replayed at nearly every position along the line.

That's likely true but Eric is gone & we gotta start somewhere. These guys may not even make the roster. i have a feeling there will be some line shuffling w/ our current roster. Another consideration is, we have no idea what Daboll has in mind for the blocking scheme.

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Care to explain?   Nobody has promised them a roster spot, much less declared them as starters. 

Sure.

The quality of the depth is less. And the line last year was frankly terrible - especially with the RT and RG. The idea that I expect everyone to be a starter is bull (not that you are saying it). But as fans, let's be honest enough to call a spade a spade. 

This team was bad at several positions last year and just damned lucky to make the playoffs - we should have won somewhere around 6 games. Now at center instead of a near Pro Bowl Center in Eric Wood and a high quality backup in Groy, you have a high quality backup and really,  a below replacement.

Now ... if we use three of the top 6 picks and return great young talent - say, Wynn, Ragnow, MIller - ok. I'm wrong. But we're out of money and the 7th cavalry to upgrade the line is a turnstile RT and a much below league average C. 

From bad, to worse.

1 minute ago, Bills Freak said:

That's likely true but Eric is gone & we gotta start somewhere. These guys may not even make the roster. i have a feeling there will be some line shuffling w/ our current roster. Another consideration is, we have no idea what Daboll has in mind for the blocking scheme.

Big Fan of Groy btw. Hope they fix the f'n blocking scheme though.

Actuall Daboll is my undercover Hero. Draft RT at least. good lord. i see Mills whiff and lunge again i will puke

1 minute ago, Bills Freak said:

Say hello to Lamar Jackson!

its coming

Hi ! Lamar !

3 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

no it was because he could not trust the line, or his receivers. they sucked. Dennison sucked, Castillo still sucks.

AJ could get killed. Peterman is still traumatized

Nah, bro. Watch those games again. Taylor had forever to throw. 

Benjamin made good almost every time he was given his chance to our jump someone. Taylor refused to throw to anyone that didn’t have 14 steps and standing stationary with two outstretched and waiting hands. 

One of my old friends is a diehard Bengals fan. What he says about the Bills' acquisitions from the Bengals does not speak well about McBeane and "The Process":

"McCarron is a great leader, smart, relatively accurate, arm like a wet noodle. Hope the improved draft position turns out well. Bodine on the other hand is the worst center I have ever seen." 

Just now, Bobby Hooks said:

Nah, bro. Watch those games again. Taylor had forever to throw. 

Benjamin made good almost every time he was given his chance to our jump someone. Taylor refused to throw to anyone that didn’t have 14 steps and standing stationary with two outstretched and waiting hands. 

I know he made time to throw, and often had a clean pocket which he would not step up into. But he also was getting blown out in two seconds and needed to move.

Of course there are plenty of reasons why that happened Bobby.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BBillsWestCoast said:

Josh Allen or Mayfield could fall all the way to 7-9 and we could trade up. It all depends on Denver. Just because analysts say what they think it doesn't mean that 1-2 guys won't drop...

I want to wait until draft day and move to #9 from #22; If we trade #22, #56 and #96 to SF 49ers (they have no 2nd rounder) for pick #9 and their #124. 

I would be satisfied with #9 Allen/Mayfield, #12 Roquan Smith or Tremaine Edmunds, then still have picks #53, #65, rounds 4-6. This team is built to win on defense and needs help on the offensive line badly.

This is kind of interesting.

50 minutes ago, BillzFreak said:

Exactly, having veteran backups is a great thing on any team. It seems people think every player we sign is here to start.

No.  They think they should be All Pros.

These guys may provide depth.  Or may not be on the roster come November

2 hours ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Doesn’t matter if he can get the ball out on time. People don’t realize how well our line was doing because Taylor held it way too long til someone was wide open. 

Most of the running around he did was because of how long it took him to find a receiver. Not because of the line. 

Lauding Taylor for keeping a play going when he was the cause is took so long to begin with was the main reason people think our line was worse than it was. 

Yeah? Ask Peterman how great our OL was! Watch highlights of Sucasse and Mills whiffing on the same guy! Wood getting pushed back into the backfield...Comon man, TT did hold the ball and wouldn't make the throws but there is no argument that our OL was dreadful!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, inaugural balls said:

This is kind of interesting.

Allen should fall. Mayfield could too but... I hear the the Jets like Mayfield (great system fit) and the only issue with Rosen is that he wore an F*** Trump hat while golfing - https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/aug/26/woody-johnson-trump-uk-ambassador-new-york-jets which could be an issue. Which makes me think Rosen may get picked at #2 by the Giants or Bills.

13 minutes ago, Bills Freak said:

Bodine signed for two years and $5MM. 

You can feel free to continue to believe that he isn't going to definitely make the roster, that he's camp filler if that's your belief. But you don't pay $5,000,000 over two seasons to guys that are only intended to spend time at St. John Fisher.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

Big Fan of Groy btw. Hope they fix the f'n blocking scheme though.

Actuall Daboll is my undercover Hero. Draft RT at least. good lord. i see Mills whiff and lunge again i will puke

its coming

Hi ! Lamar !

I think both Groy and Miller will look better with a different blocking scheme. If they draft a T and a G/C then I think they'll be some serious competition along the OL and some very hard cuts to make.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, vincec said:

I think both Groy and Miller will look better with a different blocking scheme. If they draft a T and a G/C then I think they'll be some serious competition along the OL and some very hard cuts to make.

see, I too like Miller and Groy under new management as well.

Am a Daboll fan ( minority i assume )

Go Bills

7 minutes ago, vincec said:

Let's hope. Price's injury is a gift from Heaven; he could slip all the way to the 4th round. Wynn, to me, sounds like Dion Dawkins (at least, physically; they play a different game). 

I never understood the fascination with Vlad. God, don't let the improvement on the line be these two signings.

41 minutes ago, Tyrod's friend said:

Sure.

The quality of the depth is less. And the line last year was frankly terrible - especially with the RT and RG. The idea that I expect everyone to be a starter is bull (not that you are saying it). But as fans, let's be honest enough to call a spade a spade. 

This team was bad at several positions last year and just damned lucky to make the playoffs - we should have won somewhere around 6 games. Now at center instead of a near Pro Bowl Center in Eric Wood and a high quality backup in Groy, you have a high quality backup and really,  a below replacement.

Now ... if we use three of the top 6 picks and return great young talent - say, Wynn, Ragnow, MIller - ok. I'm wrong. But we're out of money and the 7th cavalry to upgrade the line is a turnstile RT and a much below league average C. 

From bad, to worse.

That might be fine....if we had to play a game tomorrow. These guys are not done. 

3 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

It doesn't sound like it is solid OL depth.  Bad players with experience are desperation depth.

Well, what do you expect? Good players with experience are not affordable and/or readily available as Free Agents.

1 hour ago, Tyrod's friend said:

So sorry they disappointed you and won games you thought (not a lot of effort there) they should have lost, lose any money betting against the Bills?

4 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Weren't these guys rated worse then Ducasse last year and he was the whipping boy everyone wanted to chase out of here cause they didn't think he was good. Now everyones happy they sign 2 of the lowest graded linemen from last season, even if its only to be a backup?

Perhaps you are being sarcastic.

Since Wood retired, Glenn was traded and Henderson is gone they get former starters in the league. How dumb.

I remember a few years ago we cut a couple guys, Glenn Parker and Dusty Ziegler, put them on the scrap heap.  The next Super Bowl they were starting for the Giants.  Patriots always seem to have a good line, as do the Steelers.  I'm thinking that a good OL coach can turn these pieces of meat into good linemen.  They were good enough athletes go get through college and make a pro football roster.  They ain't junk, no matter what the pundits in this group surmise.  

We either trust Beane or we don't.  I was happy when they traded Sammy and got EJ and a 4th rounder.  I was thrilled when they got a 3rd rounder and Matthews from Philly.  Now, Matthews failed to live up to even his own expectations, but was hurt all year.  We got draft capital that they will probably use to move up and get the quarterback they want.

I read that Beane says he's not ready to decide which guy he wants.  They've only spent 15 minutes with each candidate.  There's a lot of time between now and the draft.  They will pick the guy they want, and I think they'll get him.  At least that's what they'll say in the press conference:  "This is the guy we targeted all along!"  Bam!