Worst local media commentator on the Bills?

I actually like Schopp.  I get it, he can come across as a bit snarky at times, but the show is smart.  I actually have trouble listening to that show when Mike is out and Bulldog has to carry the show by himself.

The morning show doesn't move the needle for me.

• Like (+1) 5

1 minute ago, Estro said:

I actually like Schopp.  I get it, he can come across as a bit snarky at times, but the show is smart.  I actually have trouble listening to that show when Mike is out and Bulldog has to carry the show by himself.

I agree, I enjoy Schoop. I think your point about the show being smart is true and probably what turns some people off. We all have different opinions as to what makes good radio/commentary, some are looking for a different perspective and some are looking for homers. To each their own.

What a strange thread...

• Like (+1) 1

Schopp is unjustifiably condescending and is miserable about his vocational choice, Bulldog has a voice for print media, Jeremy White spouts opinion as fact and lives to shut down Howard's statements with a simple "no" (a great teammate he is).  Howard is always depressed about something (I wonder why).  The only decent guy is Sal, but he can be wierdly combative on Twitter (so I'm told).  

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Estro said:

He gets moody and acts like a 2 year old at times.  Gets political and assumes people have alterior motives, he sucks.

8 minutes ago, Estro said:

YES! Mike can carry his own show....Bulldog is lost without Mike there

Nah Schoop is not that bad.  He certainly is unlikeable and starky, but you can’t deny that he’s a smart guy that forms well thought out opinions.  

As far as the worst?  It depends how you define “local.”  Just Buffalo, Rochester, or all of Western, NY?  Or how about the national reporters who cover the Bills like Crooked Rodak?

IMO I don’t really like Bulldog on WGR.  He is close to unlistenable for me.  In Rochester, I don’t like Bob Matthews.  He’s an old-time journalist who is outdated and pretty much irrelevant these days.  He essentially is a less-polished and less intelligent version of Mike Schoop.

Also the guy that grinds my gears locally is Greg Gabriel for blocking me for criticizing his opinion 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, mattynh said:

He gets moody and acts like a 2 year old at times.  Gets political and assumes people have alterior motives, he sucks.

They are all political. Most people in media are super liberal.  And its annoying

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Mrbojanglezs said:

They are all political. Most people in media are super liberal.  And its annoying

Exactly. It's not even the fact that I agree or disagree, it's just the fact that I don't want to hear political BS with my sports. It's that simple. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, SmokinES3 said:

Exactly. It's not even the fact that I agree or disagree, it's just the fact that I don't want to hear political BS with my sports. It's that simple. 

You don't want to hear politics with your sports?   Why that's shocking!  These guys, like movie stars, have a platform, didn't you know that entitles them to tell you what to think?  And you're supposed to think they're cool and informed.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, mattynh said:

I have noticed the politics. Jeremy, Bulldog, and Schopp are all raging liberals.  They do let it seep into their sports talk shows, which IMO isn't a great idea, because your likely alienating about half of your listeners.

Bulldog in particular tweets some far out there left wing, nutty stuff.  Like, I said I personally think it's a bad business decision to alienate half your auduence.....but he thinks he's some type of social justice warrior.....So whatever.  I don't really get caught up or offended by differing political opinions.  That's something liberals do!

• Like (+1) 1

to me its Murphy and Jones.  It is so vanilla and unlistenable.  Boring.  I like Murphy too from the most part, he runs a good show.  I think the problem is Jones.  I don't hate him so much, I just think you need a better Yang to Murphy's Yin.  Put the wrong guy there and the show is ruined.

Kind of when the Sabres put Harry Neale with Jeanneret and it was awful.  With Jeanneret, you need kind of a straight man (which Lorentz was and Rob Ray is, believe it or not). 

Jones is kind of boring, never really thinks outside the box or takes chances, and always agrees with Murphy.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

How about the other side of the coin? Who are the best local media (print or tv/radio) to pay attention to?

(I live in Baltimore so I get most of my Bills news from this website, twitter, and occasionally will listen to WGR on my Amazon Alexa. However my wife (who likes the Bills) can't stand listening to WGR because she says the guys' voices give her a headache).

I think the best "follows" on twitter are: Sal C., Joe B., and Matthew Fairburn.

For me it's Murphy.  I get that he's on the Bills payroll but dear lord man.

Schopp can be insufferable at times but I can listen.  I can see why people don't like him at all though (and no, it's not because the show is "too smart," whatever the hell that means).

39 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

I live out of town and I disagree...not all sports personalities get political.  Most may from time to time but for instance I listen to Sirius XM NFL and politics rarely gets in.   For Schopp and BD its part of their show.

WGR intentionally has a diverse group of hosts on their station. Every bills fan is different, so they try and accommodate a show for each type. I cannot stand the John Murphy show, but clearly a lot of people still like his show. I personally prefer Schopp and the Bull Dog as the best show on that station. I know a lot of other people hate them. I was hoping there would be a poll set up on this thread.

6 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

The Callers are the worst commenators in Buffalo Sports Media. For as ridiculous as Schoop or Jeremey or even Sully might be, the second they "go to the phones" on WGR it's time to turn off the radio.

This 1000%

I usually turn down the radio during caller, because I cant listen to their idiotic takes.

• Like (+1) 1

These bashing posts are getting old.  I don't like this guy, he's a homer, doesn't know what he's talking about, he cuts people off...blah blah blah.   It just sounds like bitching and whining.  There will never be a local radio/TV personality that everyone likes.  It's a tough job, especially with a passionate (and sometimes whiny, fan base).  They all have their flaws and good points.  Look at the posters here, some are terrible, so you just ignore them.  We're better than this....at least I hope.

• Like (+1) 2