OJ confession on Fox

Mr. WEO

11 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

What if he kills again?  His new girlfriends?  His kids?  What if he kills all of them and Terry Pegula?

Stills stays up there?

Seems it might be ok in the parking lot, but crosses the line if on the turf. Not sure if that changes based on day of week or whether it’s the sideline vs field of play

I get not wanting things to be crazy slippery slopes but sometimes the answer is just easy and obvious and you don’t really need to worry about implications. Guy that ran real fast having his name painted on a wall and it getting painted over because he killed his wife and another guy seems like it’s easy and obvious enough. We can save real debate for another day, right? Right? No? Jeeeeze.

I guess the question is where morality enters into the Wall conversation.

Do we take someone down because they committed a misdemeanor?  

A felony assault? 

A rape?

A murder?

We know our football heroes are not paragons of virtue.  They're on the wall for their accomplishments on the field, not their behavior off. 

Yet it bothers me to see OJ's  name honored in our stadium when he's a murderer.  How must the families of his victims feel?  How would I feel if he killed my son or daughter and the Bills still saw fit to celebrate him?

I'm not sure where the line is, but - in my mind - OJ crossed it.  His name should come down.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

A felony assault? 

A rape?

A murder?

We know our football heroes are not paragons of virtue.  They're on the wall for their accomplishments on the field, not their behavior off. 

Yet it bothers me to see OJ's  name honored in our stadium when he's a murderer.  How must the families of his victims feel?  How would I feel if he killed my son or daughter and the Bills still saw fit to celebrate him?

I'm not sure where the line is, but - in my mind - OJ crossed it.  His name should come down.  

I think the problem comes in when you are forced to confront the reality that he is not a murderer in the eyes of our system of laws and process that we have constructed our entire society upon.

Had he been convicted it would have been an easy call.

15 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Seems it might be ok in the parking lot, but crosses the line if on the turf. Not sure if that changes based on day of week or whether it’s the sideline vs field of play

I get not wanting things to be crazy slippery slopes but sometimes the answer is just easy and obvious and you don’t really need to worry about implications. Guy that ran real fast having his name painted on a wall and it getting painted over because he killed his wife and another guy seems like it’s easy and obvious enough. We can save real debate for another day, right? Right? No? Jeeeeze.

Taking OJ off the wall due to the airing of this interview shedding some kind of new light on his past is disingenuous and silly at best. If morality were the criteria all along, leaving his name up all this time was just ignoring the elephant in the room. Whistling by the graveyard... if you will. 

42 minutes ago, TtownBillsFan said:

And you're a piece of **** if you think he should remain on the wall.

Wow... overreact much? 

9 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Taking OJ off the wall due to the airing of this interview shedding some kind of new light on his past is disingenuous and silly at best. If morality were the criteria all along, leaving his name up all this time was just ignoring the elephant in the room. Whistling by the graveyard... if you will. 

Wow... overreact much? 

Sooooo if the owners, or perhaps some new leaders in the organization (as we’ve had a ton added this last year) were sitting down watching tonight and walk into the stadium tomorrow and it really smacks them in the face and they decide to act... There’s something wrong with that?

id agree that the interview wasn’t the thing that should be the red line that can’t be crossed but I’m not buying that they’ve put themselves into any corner by not moving sooner. It should’ve been handled previously but that doesn’t mean you can’t now. And doing it now doesn’t make the whole wall a sham.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Sooooo if the owners, or perhaps some new leaders in the organization (as we’ve had a ton added this last year) were sitting down watching tonight and walk into the stadium tomorrow and it really smacks them in the face and they decide to act... There’s something wrong with that?

id agree that the interview wasn’t the thing that should be the red line that can’t be crossed but I’m not buying that they’ve put themselves into any corner by not moving sooner. It should’ve been handled previously but that doesn’t mean you can’t now. And doing it now doesn’t make the whole wall a sham.

I don't see them wanting to deal with the publicity that comes with taking it off the wall at the current home. I would say all bets are off once they build and move into a new stadium; it could simply be left off instead of removed...

37 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

A felony assault? 

A rape?

A murder?

Yeah, this one's not tough.  Acquitted on murder charges, but found responsible for both killings in a civil trial, and now (well, I guess 12 years ago) obnoxiously touting what he did under the preposterous notion of providing a "hypothetical" scenario.  Remove him from the wall. Exile him from the Hall of Fame. I guess I'm ok with keeping his stats in the record books since I'm not a fan of rewriting history, but anything that counts as an ongoing honor should be undone to the extent possible. 

What a despicable human being. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

They are the owners and can do as they wish. If they passed off the interview as reason to now remove his name from the wall? ( they would probably never admit it but we know it aired) then yes, I think that's pretty ridiculous. I'd probably feel differently if they had removed OJs name when they took over as owners. Even silently. Hey, they bought the team. They don't want the name up there and we all know why. Just don't try to tell me it's a football wall if fame anymore. It's not. 

4 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Debatable. Does Coy wire go on the wall then? Brian Moorman ? 

Disagree. Football skill shouldn't give anyone a pass on terrible **** they did off the field. I am FAR more embarrassed at him being on the wall then I ever was of the playoff drought. Probably why I like mcdermott and beane so much. Id rather lose with class then win with pieces of trash. Sometimes its bigger than football. I don't have kids yet, but someday I hope to want to show my kids what good men play for the Buffalo Bills, win or lose. 

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Yeah, this one's not tough.  Acquitted on murder charges, but found responsible for both killings in a civil trial, and now (well, I guess 12 years ago) obnoxiously touting what he did under the preposterous notion of providing a "hypothetical" scenario.  Remove him from the wall. Exile him from the Hall of Fame. I guess I'm ok with keeping his stats in the record books since I'm not a fan of rewriting history, but anything that counts as an ongoing honor should be undone to the extent possible. 

What a despicable human being. 

This ^ ... yes It's important to keep context. Nobody is perfect and no we shouldn't just go removing great players for not being perfect imo. But cmon, the guy beat and then brutally killed his wife and an innocent young man with a knife. It's much different than a manslaughter charge where someone killed someone without purpose. He should be off the wall. He is a terrible human and should not be recognized for anything great

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

They are the owners and can do as they wish. If they passed off the interview as reason to now remove his name from the wall? ( they would probably never admit it but we know it aired) then yes, I think that's pretty ridiculous. I'd probably feel differently if they had removed OJs name when they took over as owners. Even silently. Hey, they bought the team. They don't want the name up there and we all know why. Just don't try to tell me it's a football wall if fame anymore. It's not. 

Taking his name down doesn't diminish the wall. If anything, his name still being up there diminishes the others on the "Wall of Fame" who haven't spent the majority of their non-football life being most famous for being a murderer and pariah.

Also. Who cares. It's not the Ten Commandments, it's names on a wall next to logos for Dunn Tire and Labatts. Yes, it is an honor to have your name displayed in a stadium for your achievements. OJ Simpson was the best football player in franchise history, but taking his name down doesn't mean the games weren't played. It means he doesn't continue to receive passive endorsements of honor from the organization.

Take his name down, or put an asterisk next to it & the list of crimes he's been tried for right beneath.

Edited by LA Grant
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I wanted to see how this topic was up to 6 pages. Now I see, and glad to add my post. 

Guys and gals try not to name call. While someone’s posts here may always rub you the wrong way you really don’t know that person (unless you do in reality). Calling people names isn’t sticking to the topic. It also says something about you , and not necessarily the other poster. 

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

8 hours ago, NoSaint said:

You would think...

7 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Remember the book he wrote, "If I DID IT "?  He's already confessed.  This is the worst kind of media exploitation.  

If I did It 2.png

You're joking right? This was an interview done in 2006 in anticipation of the book's publishing. 

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

You would think...

You're joking right? This was an interview done in 2006 in anticipation of the book's publishing. 

Sorry, I should have been more clear.  I think Fox choosing to air this interview is crass exploitation in the name of ratings, which I sincerely hope sucked.  I didn't watch, and would never watch, OJ's "confession".  He's free to confess all he wants, now that he's been acquitted.  Meanwhile the pain of the Brown and Goldman families goes on, and Fox just rubbed their noses in it one more time.   Disgusting.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Socal-805 said:

Funny.  There's people out here in L.A. who won't believe he's guilty even if he DOES confess.

it was the greatest day of their lives, millions paraded and danced with joy when he was found not guilty.

40 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Sorry, I should have been more clear.  I think Fox choosing to air this interview is crass exploitation in the name of ratings, which I sincerely hope sucked.  I didn't watch, and would never watch, OJ's "confession".  He's free to confess all he wants, now that he's been acquitted.  Meanwhile the pain of the Brown and Goldman families goes on, and Fox just rubbed their noses in it one more time.   Disgusting.

No, you should have been more careful:  the tape was recently found by Fox and they had the Goldman family's approval to air it.

Just now, Jauronimo said:

I think OJ should be removed from the wall and replaced with a more prolific killer like John Wayne Gacy. 

Clowns though...

Just now, ShadyBillsFan said:

I'm with Boyst on this one.   

What happens after you play or enshrined has less weight. 

Meh it's annoying the way words are spun here. "you're a piece of **** if...". Dude, few people talk like that.  Few people throw that kind of hostility out there when they speak.

OJ Simpson is a football player. That's all I know.  Never met him.  Don't care if I never do but I would like to if given the chance. I'd pose for a picture and ask him to sign my knife, too.

But, I judge him on football. Anything else is pointless.

• Haha (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Meh it's annoying the way words are spun here. "you're a piece of **** if...". Dude, few people talk like that.  Few people throw that kind of hostility out there when they speak.

OJ Simpson is a football player. That's all I know.  Never met him.  Don't care if I never do but I would like to if given the chance. I'd pose for a picture and ask him to sign my knife, too.

But, I judge him on football. Anything else is pointless.

Agreed.  I'm surprised how so few people seem to get the point here.  Hes a football player and should be judged as such.  That's why I judge Hitler on his art.  Turns out Hitler is pretty pedestrian. 

Edited by Jauronimo

29 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Agreed.  I'm surprised how so few people seem to get the point here.  Hes a football player and should be judged as such.  That's why I judge Hitler on his art.  Turns out Hitler is pretty pedestrian. 

Hitler did nothing wrong.  He didn't kill anyone.

God damn Godwin for the win.  

Arguments are always so !@#$ing sad when Godwin comes in to play.  

39 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Well sure, but as far as killing people goes the Bills should probably retire Hitler's number. The guy was prolific, easily one of the best all time.

35 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Well sure, but as far as killing people goes the Bills should probably retire Hitler's number. The guy was prolific, easily one of the best all time.

Hitler killed one, maybe two, people in his entire life.  It's like saying Belichick threw for 66,000 yards.

15 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Argument is down the hall. This is abuse, stupid.

argument is you opening up to opine on something that has nothing to do with the subject at hand.

What exactly is abusive?