QB Velocity Numbers for 2018 Draft Released

For those that might be wondering, basically anyone that throws less than 55 MPH has no chance of being successful in the NFL. Only like 2 QBs have been and one of those 2 is Tyrod.

Notable guys that didn't make the cut:

Mason Rudolph

Kyle Lauletta

Lamar Jackson

Luke Falk

Allen broke the record for strongest arm ever and Baker Mayfield is top 5 all time.

http://www.ourlads.com/story/default/Quarterback-Ball-Velocity-at-2018-NFL-Combine/10241/dh/

Edit: I should add that tracking the ball velocity is still pretty young (I believe only going back to 2008 if I remember right), but the lack of success for anyone under 55 is pretty scary.

Edited by DCOrange
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5

13 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

For those that might be wondering, basically anyone that throws less than 55 MPH has no chance of being successful in the NFL. Only like 2 QBs have been and one of those 2 is Tyrod.

Mason Rudolph

Kyle Lauletta

Lamar Jackson

Luke Falk

Allen broke the record for strongest arm ever and Baker Mayfield is top 5 all time.

http://www.ourlads.com/story/default/Quarterback-Ball-Velocity-at-2018-NFL-Combine/10241/dh/

Edit: I should add that tracking the ball velocity is still pretty young (I believe only going back to 2008 if I remember right), but the lack of success for anyone under 55 is pretty scary.

DeShaun appears to be an outlier as I believe there is a pretty decent correlation with this and future success from the past?

8 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Remember when Deshaun Watson had a 49 mph ball speed at the 2017 Combine.  That really meant a lot in Houston. :lol:

Deshaun Watson is light years ahead of Jackson as a passer. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

It does appear to be pretty scattered. Looks like you could say a preferred level for success is in the mid e50s. But, like I said ...scattered

16 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

For those that might be wondering, basically anyone that throws less than 55 MPH has no chance of being successful in the NFL.

Where did this conclusion that anyone throwing less than 55 mph has "no chance" come from?

Trubisky 51/50

Watson 45/45

Peterman 49/49 - throw him out NOW! (jk)

Dak Prescott 54

EJ Manuel 54 -hey that explains a lot, why didn't we follow the rules *g*

And then how do you deal with the "did not throw" guys like Darnold, Derek Carr, Bridgewater, Andrew Luck, Bob Griffin, Tannehill etc?

Interesting Notables under 55:

Deshaun Watson - 45

Nate Peterman - 49

Dak Prescott- 54

Mitch Trubisky - 51

AJ McCarron - 53

It seems a bunch of starters are right around 55, including Wentz, Mahomes, Winston and Mariota. The number appears arbitrary to me and may not be applicable in game conditions. Peterman’s ball seems a lot slower to me in game situations than Watson’s but he was 4mph faster at the combine.

EdW

35 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Mason Rudolph

Kyle Lauletta

Lamar Jackson

Luke Falk

Pretty sure we argued about this last year with Watson and he proved everyone wrong. Watson had the athletic ability and accuracy to make up for it though. 

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Mason Rudolph

Kyle Lauletta

Lamar Jackson

Luke Falk

Very impressive for Rosen and Mayfield. 

I thought Jackson had a bigger arm than that. That is another red flag for him with the accuracy issues. The other guys didn't have great arms on tape so I am not surprised. There are not many pocket passers that make it with low velocity. I would be a little worried expecting Falk or Lauletta to be anything more than backups. I still think Rudolph has a chance though. 

Edited by billspro

Bwahahahahaha!!! :lol:

Folks... look at who has the weakest arm... wow... what a bunch crap.

Doesn't seem to jibe with reality... in the same way Tyrod was measured as having a weak arm

But according to this, Jackson's arm is weaker than Tyrod's... and both their arms are weaker than EVERY other QB measured at the 2018 Combine.

Anyone else?

Hmmm.  Tyrod Taylor  -  50

It is an interesting stat, and obviously the stronger the arm the better, but arm strength is one thing a QB can develop.  I suspect there have been successful QBs who could only throw in the upper 40s.

7 hours ago, DCOrange said:

Mason Rudolph

Kyle Lauletta

Lamar Jackson

Luke Falk

He'll Yeah!  My boy Mayfield!

• Like (+1) 1

That spreadsheet is increasingly devalued and its arbitrary "minimum thresholds" need to be consigned to the NFL history bin with 12 round drafts, coaches wearing fedoras and the Houston Oilers.  

Look, I get it, we live in the analytics age and there is a deep desire to build metrics that you can predict future success against.  But the 55mph was absolute nonsense in the first place because the spreadsheet never had measurements for guys who would to the eye at least not have the strongest arms but went on to show they could play - Matt Ryan being the key one.  The fact is that 55mph is not predictive factor in a guy's success as an NFL Quarterback.  Nor is hand size. 

You want to know the best way to predict whether someone will succeed in the NFL? Watch their college tape and interrogate it thoroughly.  

A lot of the velocity numbers are a direct result of form. Jackson for instance throws all arm, doesnt get his lower body into it. Rudolph trying to drop back was absolutely comical. The guy is not a QB. Who doesn't know how to do a 3 step drop? I know a lot of guys like Mayfield and he showed good velocity because he gets his whole body into it. A little too much in fact. He has to step up and basically do a curl hop to throw a deep ball. The pocket isn't that large in the NFL to be able to do that, especially when you are short. You need to keep a certain depth otherwise you are stepping right into the pass rush. Josh Rosen has flawless form and maybe he's not the best arm but he's right up there because he is well balanced and has a nice motion. All of the drills Tom Brady does with Tom House, I saw that in action with Rosen. I would bet anything that he has worked with him. Absolute perfection. Josh Allen it's just pure natural talent. His drop back was actually very nice and I was surprised. I don't know if he's been working on it or if he's just a pure thrower of the football. The numbers speak for themselves. The guy is next level

24 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

I remember arguing with people for a year that Mayfield has a great arm. 

People are so lazy with their analysis that you have a guy who is 6’0 they immediately question his arm strength but don’t watch tape. Ball explodes off his hand.

Best QB in the draft :thumbsup: