QB Velocity Numbers for 2018 Draft Released

For those that might be wondering, basically anyone that throws less than 55 MPH has no chance of being successful in the NFL. Only like 2 QBs have been and one of those 2 is Tyrod.

Notable guys that didn't make the cut:

Mason Rudolph

Kyle Lauletta

Lamar Jackson

Luke Falk

Allen broke the record for strongest arm ever and Baker Mayfield is top 5 all time.

http://www.ourlads.com/story/default/Quarterback-Ball-Velocity-at-2018-NFL-Combine/10241/dh/

Edit: I should add that tracking the ball velocity is still pretty young (I believe only going back to 2008 if I remember right), but the lack of success for anyone under 55 is pretty scary.

Edited by DCOrange
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5

13 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

For those that might be wondering, basically anyone that throws less than 55 MPH has no chance of being successful in the NFL. Only like 2 QBs have been and one of those 2 is Tyrod.

Mason Rudolph

Kyle Lauletta

Lamar Jackson

Luke Falk

Allen broke the record for strongest arm ever and Baker Mayfield is top 5 all time.

http://www.ourlads.com/story/default/Quarterback-Ball-Velocity-at-2018-NFL-Combine/10241/dh/

Edit: I should add that tracking the ball velocity is still pretty young (I believe only going back to 2008 if I remember right), but the lack of success for anyone under 55 is pretty scary.

DeShaun appears to be an outlier as I believe there is a pretty decent correlation with this and future success from the past?

8 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Remember when Deshaun Watson had a 49 mph ball speed at the 2017 Combine.  That really meant a lot in Houston. :lol:

Deshaun Watson is light years ahead of Jackson as a passer. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

It does appear to be pretty scattered. Looks like you could say a preferred level for success is in the mid e50s. But, like I said ...scattered

16 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

For those that might be wondering, basically anyone that throws less than 55 MPH has no chance of being successful in the NFL.

Where did this conclusion that anyone throwing less than 55 mph has "no chance" come from?

Trubisky 51/50

Watson 45/45

Peterman 49/49 - throw him out NOW! (jk)

Dak Prescott 54

EJ Manuel 54 -hey that explains a lot, why didn't we follow the rules *g*

And then how do you deal with the "did not throw" guys like Darnold, Derek Carr, Bridgewater, Andrew Luck, Bob Griffin, Tannehill etc?

Interesting Notables under 55:

Deshaun Watson - 45

Nate Peterman - 49

Dak Prescott- 54

Mitch Trubisky - 51

AJ McCarron - 53

It seems a bunch of starters are right around 55, including Wentz, Mahomes, Winston and Mariota. The number appears arbitrary to me and may not be applicable in game conditions. Peterman’s ball seems a lot slower to me in game situations than Watson’s but he was 4mph faster at the combine.

EdW

35 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Mason Rudolph

Kyle Lauletta

Lamar Jackson

Luke Falk

Pretty sure we argued about this last year with Watson and he proved everyone wrong. Watson had the athletic ability and accuracy to make up for it though. 

• Like (+1) 1