Beane: "I have no intent to move up or down"

KDIGGZ

6 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

does anyone really believe he would tell anyone he was not going to move up? stock piling picks, with two firsts would make one assume/speculate he had some serious plans to use them

waiting for a QB to drop in their lap does not seem like an aggressive move, something beane has been since coming aboard, pretty aggressive.

I agree, he probably has some serious plans to use them.

But it might be to address all the other aging/weak positions on our team.

McDermott keeps on stressing how much this is a process and recently talked about how this team isn't nearly as far along as people think it is.

The Bills have 5 draft picks in the 1st 3 rounds, which are the rounds that are supposed to yield NFL starters.  As of last September, the Bills had the 2nd oldest roster in the NFL and the 9th oldest starting lineup in the NFL:

http://nfltraderumors.co/nfl-rosters-ranked-average-age/

http://www.espncricinfo.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/29045/cardinals-have-nfls-oldest-roster-browns-the-youngest

I want McBeane to trade up in this draft for Mayfield or maybe Darnold or stay put and draft Jackson.  But I think Beane and McDermott have a good amount of flexibility with the Pegulas knowing that we just broke the longest playoff drought in all of American sports in 2017. 

As much as people would absolutely hate it, flooding this roster with young (and cheap!) talent through the draft and "punting" (as Rodak puts it) the QB position for one more year isn't the worst option for this team.

Address your aging team and build up your roster and roll with Taylor for one more year, and then be off the hook next year with regards to him and invest everything you can into that QB with a younger, stronger team in place. 

It's certainly a possibility.

Edited by transplantbillsfan

6 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

They arent spending tons of time with guys like Rosen, Mayfield, and Darnold if their intent is to stay at 21.  My mind would be blown if they dont trade up.   Guys like Beane and McDermott, who are intentional about everything they do, have to know they will be out the door in three years if they don't fix the QB situation as soon as possible.  Waiting until next year would be a horrible choice. 

Didn't the Bills spend a lot of time with someone like Bryce Petty a couple years ago?  To the point where they met up with him before the draft and took him out to dinner or something with Pegula?

Beane and McDermott are doing their due diligence on the most important position in Football, but I wouldn't just assume that they're so intent on drafting a Franchise QB that they'll  give up a bunch of picks to trade up or that they'll just ignore any worries or red flags they might have.

On 3/7/2018 at 11:58 AM, Reed83HOF said:

Welcome to the board Doug! We loved this strategy of yours, Buddys, Russ's & Marv's...

it worked out well for us - we made the playoffs this year finally!

Very enlightening response.  Thank you.  I will be sure to post more often.

One thing I have been amazed at for the last few years, and probably beyond, is that after reading all the info out there as to who the Bills will draft, I will end up totally surprised at what they end up doing, as in (didn't see that happening).

"I like the depth of the draft, especially early on in those rounds," he told the Bills' official radio program last week. "I'm excited to have five picks [in the first three rounds]. So I'm not going in, right now as I sit here, saying we got to move up or we got to move back.

"I'm excited at 21 and 22 because it showed we made the playoffs, and that was big for our city and our team and the culture that Sean and I are building. So I have no intent to move up or down. We're focused right now on who we think we could get at that value."

See those bolded areas? Those are qualifiers. Notice that in BOTH sentences he left the wiggle room of "this is how I feel RIGHT NOW". I would not in any way, shape, or form conclude that this statement indicates that the Bills won't move around the board.

• Like (+1) 1

Bills Links, 3/9: Trade speculation with the New York Giants continues

Recent moves have fans thinking the Giants would trade the second pick

By Anthony Marino@AnthMarino  Mar 9, 2018, 6:15am EST

Bills Links

592331838.jpg.0.jpg

Free agency does not begin until next week. The NFL Draft is 48 days away. So while there is still plenty of time for discussion, with the most recent conversation is around the Buffalo Bills making a trade with the New York Giants for the second overall pick. This is obviously all speculation at this point, but it is understandable considering Brandon Beane’s connection with the Giants new general manager, David Gettleman.

A Giant opportunity

http://www.wgr550.com/articles/opinion/giant-opportunity

After trading two of their picks this year to acquire [expensive] linebacker Alec Ogletree from the Rams, the Giants are running out of assets

Let’s be honest, this trade doesn’t make a whole ton of sense unless, you know, you plan on using that second overall pick to get yourself a host of picks and potentially a roster player or other assets. I mean, that’s the only way this trade makes sense.

That’s where Brandon Beane and the Buffalo Bills come in.

Let’s first start by stating the obvious. Beane worked under Giants general manager Dave Gettleman, and by all accounts they had a great working relationship in Carolina. This is an obvious help me, help you situation, right?

The Bills desperately need a franchise quarterback and the Giants just declared draft pick bankruptcy! There’s a big “for sale” sign at the top of the draft. And for those who have been worried sick about who the Bills could potentially find as trade partners, this trade sounds the dinner bell.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

5 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

Bills Links, 3/9: Trade speculation with the New York Giants continues

Recent moves have fans thinking the Giants would trade the second pick

By Anthony Marino@AnthMarino  Mar 9, 2018, 6:15am EST

Bills Links

592331838.jpg.0.jpg

Free agency does not begin until next week. The NFL Draft is 48 days away. So while there is still plenty of time for discussion, with the most recent conversation is around the Buffalo Bills making a trade with the New York Giants for the second overall pick. This is obviously all speculation at this point, but it is understandable considering Brandon Beane’s connection with the Giants new general manager, David Gettleman.

A Giant opportunity

http://www.wgr550.com/articles/opinion/giant-opportunity

After trading two of their picks this year to acquire [expensive] linebacker Alec Ogletree from the Rams, the Giants are running out of assets

Let’s be honest, this trade doesn’t make a whole ton of sense unless, you know, you plan on using that second overall pick to get yourself a host of picks and potentially a roster player or other assets. I mean, that’s the only way this trade makes sense.

That’s where Brandon Beane and the Buffalo Bills come in.

Let’s first start by stating the obvious. Beane worked under Giants general manager Dave Gettleman, and by all accounts they had a great working relationship in Carolina. This is an obvious help me, help you situation, right?

The Bills desperately need a franchise quarterback and the Giants just declared draft pick bankruptcy! There’s a big “for sale” sign at the top of the draft. And for those who have been worried sick about who the Bills could potentially find as trade partners, this trade sounds the dinner bell.

I sure hope this scenario plays out. It makes sense , the dots connect for sure. This would really be the ideal draft trade for the Bills. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Logic said:

"I like the depth of the draft, especially early on in those rounds," he told the Bills' official radio program last week. "I'm excited to have five picks [in the first three rounds]. So I'm not going in, right now as I sit here, saying we got to move up or we got to move back.

"I'm excited at 21 and 22 because it showed we made the playoffs, and that was big for our city and our team and the culture that Sean and I are building. So I have no intent to move up or down. We're focused right now on who we think we could get at that value."

See those bolded areas? Those are qualifiers. Notice that in BOTH sentences he left the wiggle room of "this is how I feel RIGHT NOW". I would not in any way, shape, or form conclude that this statement indicates that the Bills won't move around the board.

Ohh I have no doubts they'll move around IF they can get partners to agree on things.  The issue is WHERE they will move.  I have my doubts about them moving where some people think they are going to.  I don't see that.  They'll move, but I highly doubt it'll be a top 5 move.  If they do that I'll be completely shocked.

I think they'll trade up if Mayfield or Allen fell in the 10-15 range, I have no doubt in my mind. I don't see us trading in the top 10 though. There is a big difference between trading 21 + a 2nd versus trading three 1st round picks and two 2nd round picks is a huge difference. I think he meant that he won't do the latter IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

If they land on a Qb in this draft and he doesnt go 1 I think Buffalo would go hard at 2.  Glenn 21, 22 and 53 could be enough.  With the second round pick they could still land a linebaker.  The next 2 months will very interesting and also exciting.  Teams are starting to trade in the NFL more often.  I could see Buffalo looking at Rosen, than Jackson, than Rudoplh.  Early for Rosen, 10 to 12 for Jackson stay put or a slight move up for Rudoplh.  

It is definitely smokescreen season at this point in the calendar.

I think the stuff before the combine is often what is closest to the truth. At that point, there is no reason for smokescreens and stuff. A lot of those rumors come from seeing GMs and scouts at certain games and things of that nature. It could be the result of a rival scout having a conversation at a water cooler or something. I think rival teams are very much in touch with what other teams want to do and what their boards look like. With that in mind, I think two rumors can be very close to the truth and those are a trade up for Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold or possibly going after Mason Rudolph later.

I think the intent for McBeane is to find a way to bring Rosen on board as I think he is their #1 quarterback and I think the rumblings about them loving Rosen are true. All of these rumors came well before the combine. I think they did their due diligence on guys at the Senior Bowl. I also think it is possible that Sam Darnold is the apple of their eye as there were rumblings about the Bills loving him at one point well before the combine as well. I think one of these two are their #1 targets.  

I also think it is possible they really like Mason Rudolph. Now I think he is terrible and I want nothing to do with him. However, I think there is enough proof of Beane scouting him, that he might have significant interest in him. 

I think interest in Jackson is  a smokescreen. There are a number of Erhardt-Perkins teams besides the Bills and that is really where that connection came from. The Cardinals just hired Mike McCoy, an E-P guy and they need a quarterback. The Chargers' Ken Whisenhunt is an E-P guy, and they could use a guy to groom behind Rivers. I also think we will start hearing a million rumors about Baker Mayfield soon and how we like his competitiveness and toughness. I think that is a smokescreen as well. Allen I am not sure on because he does fit what Beane has talked about wanting. Allen to me is the enigma and I still think he goes #1 overall when the dust settles. I suppose Allen could be the guy they want because we haven't heard much of anything connecting him to the Bills, but I don't think he is their guy. 

Based on everything I have heard and read, I think it's Rosen or Darnold early or Rudolph, unfortunately, later. 

we are all aware that this isn't the first time the team has said this, right? Out of the gate Beane said you'd get old waiting for him to 

• make a drastic move up in the draft and
  • spend a lot in free agency.

Nothing has changed. His intent right now is to trade for his QB, retain nearly all of his picks, and rebuild through the draft. It's not like the only way you use the draft capital is by moving up. 

If he is forced, I think he'll move - to #9 or #10, using a 1st, 2nd and 3rd and leaving a 1st 2nd and 3rd. But the intent hasn't changed. Nick Foles.

• Like (+1) 1

I mean you really expect him to publicly tell teams what he is planning to do?

Stop believing anything until the draft is over. Its near impossible to tell what is true and What isnt and what is intentionally misleading.

54 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I mean you really expect him to publicly tell teams what he is planning to do?

Stop believing anything until the draft is over. Its near impossible to tell what is true and What isnt and what is intentionally misleading.

Now that Taylor is traded we know one thing, Bills need a QB. So really it starts Wednesday to see what Veteran QB Bills go and gets. If it is someone like Moore than they are drafting one high. If it is a trade or a top name from free agency then Bills most likely will not draft high for one. Bills made the first move so speculation they need one is gone!

Edited by USABuffaloFan

On 3/7/2018 at 9:01 AM, kdiggz said:

Mike Rodent reports that Beane has no intention of trading up and will pick at 21 and 22.  

http://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/31327/bills-still-in-quarterback-purgatory-could-punt-big-changes-to-2019

Sure beanie, we believe you ;)

but then you will tell us of  this great deal that you just couldn't refuse :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, USABuffaloFan said:

Now that Taylor is traded we know one thing, Bills need a QB. So really it starts Wednesday to see what Veteran QB Bills go and gets. If it is someone like Moore than they are drafting one high. If it is a trade or a top name from free agency then Bills most likely will not draft high for one. Bills made the first move so speculation they need one is gone!

If its someone like Moore I'd want to know why bother...id rather lose the game with Peterman getting development time if it came to that cause Moore is going to lose you the game anyway...his recent stretch as a starter has been dreadful...

11 hours ago, matter2003 said:

If its someone like Moore I'd want to know why bother...id rather lose the game with Peterman getting development time if it came to that cause Moore is going to lose you the game anyway...his recent stretch as a starter has been dreadful...

You didn't get what I meant. Moore is a teacher, he won't start at least more than a few games. Buffalo will be getting Baker or Rosen meaning trading up to get their man. I don't think this is the path but Free Agency will tell us where they are leaning.