Ryan Shazier Wants to Come Back and Play Football

26CornerBlitz

Does anyone know if he can even walk right now?  What is the state of his recovery? 

Even if he were to recover to the point where he is capable of performing on an NFL field (I doubt that's possible) he would be insane to step foot out there. 

4 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Selfish and stupid. 

I don't agree with this.  I think it's great to have that as a goal to become 100% healthy.  It's to keep him in the right frame of mind with a positive attitude.  

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I don't agree with this.  I think it's great to have that as a goal to become 100% healthy.  It's keep him in the right fram of mind with a positive attitude.  

*I edited my post to make my point more clear.

Edited by Chicken Boo

Enjoy life after being on the field Ryan. Get a gig on NFL Network or ESPN discussing the NFL or NCAA Football somewhere. Think about your long-term health, not getting on the field. You are very fortunate. Embrace that. 

On one hand, I get the fire in him and passion to play the sport he loves and was supposed to be how he provided for him and his family and set them up for life after football.  Then on the other hand, he has to think about the risk vs reward and the danger he is more vulnerable to if he comes back.

The danger isn't just physical, its also the mental side of it too.  Its easy to sit there going through rehab and use the desire to play again as motivation and feel like you can get all the way back.  Its an entirely different animal to put those pads back on and go out on that field and not let the fear of what he went through not impact his game.  A guy playing fearful is only going to raise his injury risk.  

I just can't see someone going out there after what he went through and playing without fear or concern of it happening again.  And a guy playing tentative or in his head is only going to increase the risk of injury again.  Not to mention how his mind will respond when hard contact occurs.  

I just dont see it.  I think right now, he NEEDS this motivation to fight his way back.  But I don't think he realistically will play again if he gets all the way back physically and has to look at his family before going back out on that field. 

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Must be the CTE.

No team physician will clear his spine.  

Someone needs to talk to this poor kid...

Dude just needs a goal and Nfl football is probably his most familiar goal. Odds are low he gets there but if he works like he’s trying to  get back hopefully he ends up somewhere pretty good 

• Like (+1) 3

50 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I don't agree with this.  I think it's great to have that as a goal to become 100% healthy.  It's to keep him in the right frame of mind with a positive attitude.  

100% healthy has nothing to do with returning to the NFL.  His goal should be 100% health, that's all.  He's financially set for life, he should be happy he isn't paralyzed permanently.

12 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Dude just needs a goal and Nfl football is probably his most familiar goal. Odds are low he gets there but if he works like he’s trying to  get back hopefully he ends up somewhere pretty good 

I don't think it's healthy for him to be deluded by dreams of returning to the NFL.  He needs to be redirected to being healthy in general and satisfied that he is otherwise intact.

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

100% healthy has nothing to do with returning to the NFL.  His goal should be 100% health, that's all.  He's financially set for life, he should be happy he isn't paralyzed permanently.

I don't think it's healthy for him to be deluded by dreams of returning to the NFL.  He needs to be redirected to being healthy in general and satisfied that he is otherwise intact.

You don't, but he does and that's what matters. 

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

It's his mindset and has nothing to do with any rehab team.   

I disagree.  His rehab team should be very clear as to what is possible and what is not reasonable to encourage a rehabbing patient to believe.  

His neck has been instrumented.  I can't imagine he would be cleared due to the immense risk (and obvious liability) to clearing him.

4 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Don't you have to play in the NFL for 5 years to get the 300k/yr per life pension? I hope he keeps his benefits. Only been playing for 4 years.

He made 9.5 million over 4 years and the Steelers picked up his 5th year option for 8.7 million guaranteed for injury according to overthgcap.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

We often agree but on this one.... like 3 months after possibly losing his dream I am not going to stress on him using it as a motivator to get out of bed in the morning and try to crush his PT. Eventually he has to make the transition to normal person but if Nfl dreams help him get back to walking sooner (or at all) - dream away dude.

I think the young man deserves credit for setting a high goal for himself.  He may never achieve it but 

he'll definitely work his butt off in physical therapy, which is usually quite painful.  I would expect that down the 

line, he'll reconsider playing.  

But he's most definitely not stupid or selfish.  

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

We often agree but on this one.... like 3 months after possibly losing his dream I am not going to stress on him using it as a motivator to get out of bed in the morning and try to crush his PT. Eventually he has to make the transition to normal person but if Nfl dreams help him get back to walking sooner (or at all) - dream away dude.

13 minutes ago, gobillsinytown said:

I think the young man deserves credit for setting a high goal for himself.  He may never achieve it but 

he'll definitely work his butt off in physical therapy, which is usually quite painful.  I would expect that down the 

line, he'll reconsider playing.  

But he's most definitely not stupid or selfish.  

I guess I don't understand why being a healthy, fully functional, extremely wealthy young man shouldn't be his goal.

Why does the impossibility of returning to the NFL have to be the point of his rehab?  His surgeon will tell him he can't play anymore.  His rehab team should tell him as well.  It should be emphasized how incredibly lucky he will be to achieve normal movement without a lifetime of constant pain.

Are people really telling him "yeah, you could return to the NFL, Ryan!  Let's focus on that!"?

If so, they are being cruel, I think.  This isn't a matter of "dreaming" or "defying the odds".   He should be encouraged to believe that healthy life can exist without football and that should be his focus.  False hope isn't proper rehab. 

Edited by Mr. WEO

45 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I guess I don't understand why being a healthy, fully functional, extremely wealthy young man shouldn't be his goal.

Why does the impossibility of returning to the NFL have to be the point of his rehab?  His surgeon will tell him he can't play anymore.  His rehab team should tell him as well.  It should be emphasized how incredibly lucky he will be to achieve normal movement without a lifetime of constant pain.

Are people really telling him "yeah, you could return to the NFL, Ryan!  Let's focus on that!"?

If so, they are being cruel, I think.  This isn't a matter of "dreaming" or "defying the odds".   He should be encouraged to believe that healthy life can exist without football and that should be his focus.  False hope isn't proper rehab. 

Im guessing he is setting this goal not his team. I would assume he has been told that it would be an incredible long shot and he’s decided to try to beat the odds. Dudes probably rolled into a ton of workouts the last 10-15 years with that in his head. I don’t expect it to instantly disappear from who he is as a human. 

Hopefully as this goes on he makes the transition you outline - but how and when that happens isn’t the same for everyone and at least his view of the future is skewed towards optimism and hard work instead of depression and hopelessness

9 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Im guessing he is setting this goal not his team. I would assume he has been told that it would be an incredible long shot and he’s decided to try to beat the odds. Dudes probably rolled into a ton of workouts the last 10-15 years with that in his head. I don’t expect it to instantly disappear from who he is as a human. 

Hopefully as this goes on he makes the transition you outline - but how and when that happens isn’t the same for everyone and at least his view of the future is skewed towards optimism and hard work instead of depression and hopelessness

I don't expect it to disappear from his psyche.  What I'm saying is that is the job of those running his rehab to tell him the playing football is off the table and should not be what motivates him toward full function.  Such delusion serves no purpose when it is guaranteed to disappoint and possibly depress this guy in the near future.

it is good to have a vision and motivation for rehab, especially if it is taken to the aggressive level of getting back into pro athlete condition.

time will tell, and I think the Steelers are the only franchise that does not allow players with crutches or other support on the sidelines during games.

10 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Must be the CTE.

No team physician will clear his spine.  

Someone needs to talk to this poor kid...

Yes, I suspect it will be as it was for Aaron Williams - even if he is healed and pronounced healthy, no team physician will clear him to play football.

They really ought to tell him straight up, and not string him along as Aaron was apparently strung - on the other hand if the hope of coming back is motivating his rehab I'm sure no one wants to dampen that.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yes, I suspect it will be as it was for Aaron Williams - even if he is healed and pronounced healthy, no team physician will clear him to play football.

They really ought to tell him straight up, and not string him along as Aaron was apparently strung - on the other hand if the hope of coming back is motivating his rehab I'm sure no one wants to dampen that.

Williams was not injured like Shazier.  But i'm not sure anyone was stringing AW along.