[POLL] Are you going to watch the Super Bowl?

You gonna watch?  

259 members have voted

1. 1. Will you actually watch the Super Bowl?

• Yes, I always do regardless of who is in it
    • Yes, I am a Patriots* fan
    • Yes, I am an Eagles fan
    • Yes, for the commercials
    • Yes, for the half-time show
    • Kinda - going to a party where it will be on
    • I dunno. Maybe.
    • NFW!

21 hours ago, klos63 said:

Had to comment - as a business owner, I really hate staff that call in sick when they are not sick. Really crappy thing to do.

Maybe you employ him and dont even know it. Wouldnt that be something. Lol

Of course I’ll watch it. Im a football fan. Football fans watch football. Philly being in it improves the food options too

Edited by bobobonators

1 minute ago, bobobonators said:

Maybe you employ him and dont even know it. Wouldnt that be something. Lol

Of course I’ll watch it. Im a football fan. Football fans watch football. 

Only if he dresses like a woman. I have all female staff.

I don't know this year. I have a feeling the ratings will be lower than years past to be honest. I might check in early to see what it's looking like. Then I'll probably check back in in the 4th some time. I likely won't watch the whole game though.

1 hour ago, H2o said:

I don't know this year. I have a feeling the ratings will be lower than years past to be honest. I might check in early to see what it's looking like. Then I'll probably check back in in the 4th some time. I likely won't watch the whole game though.

Ratings for tv as a whole are down, but the nfl still holds the highest rating on avg.

Pats - jags was the highest rated since sb51. Networks are still willing to fork over huge sums of cash. So ratings cant be that bad.

Not sure really. I'll probably watch some of it just to see if the Eagles can pull it off. Most of the day I'll find something better to do. Tired of seeing the Pats and tired of game changing questionable calls. 

Edited by Scott7975

2 hours ago, OrtonHearsaWho said:

I am absolutely blown away by the number of "NFW!" responses.  I get hating the Pats, but it's the freaking Super Bowl.

For me it has nothing to do with the pats and more just a lack of interest in the NFL in general except for the Bills.

My answer would have been NFW pats or no pats ... unless the Bills were in it :)

Edited by CodeMonkey

10 minutes ago, CodeMonkey said:

For me it has nothing to do with the pats and more just a lack of interest in the NFL in general except for the Bills.

My answer would have been NFW pats or no pats ... unless the Bills were in it :)

That makes sense to me.  I just get the impression that otherwise die hard football fans aren't watching because it's the Pats and to me that's crazy.

1 hour ago, OrtonHearsaWho said:

That makes sense to me.  I just get the impression that otherwise die hard football fans aren't watching because it's the Pats and to me that's crazy.

I suspect most if not all of the hard core nfl fans will end up watching.  They might be too ashamed to admit it, but they'll be watching ;) 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Chris66 said:

Ratings for tv as a whole are down, but the nfl still holds the highest rating on avg.

Pats - jags was the highest rated since sb51. Networks are still willing to fork over huge sums of cash. So ratings cant be that bad.

Conference championship games ratings were a little below normal compared to the last 12 AFC and NFC Championship games, but not disastrous.  The Patriots are still a ratings machine as satisfaction of them losing is a strong motivator to watch.  Patriots and Eagles lacked star power.

4 hours ago, OrtonHearsaWho said:

I am absolutely blown away by the number of "NFW!" responses.  I get hating the Pats, but it's the freaking Super Bowl.

Who cares if it's the SB.

I have no interest in seeing same movie over and over.

Let the Pats and their fans have their fun. I won't be anywhere near it.

Edited by njbuff

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 10:35 AM, klos63 said:

Had to comment - as a business owner, I really hate staff that call in sick when they are not sick. Really crappy thing to do.

No not even close.

I worked for a place that after calling in sick 3 days a year you were fired. That is a crappy thing to do.

Edited by cba fan

1990 hey billare in the superbowl. Nice story.

1991 bills in superbowl. Maybe they might win this time.

1992 bills in superbowl. Cowboys are going to be tough.

1993 bills in the superbowl. Hope cowboys crush em.

How you see it all depends who you root for. Imagine backlash Bills would have had if there was social media.

10 hours ago, cba fan said:

No not even close.

I worked for a place that after calling in sick 3 days a year you were fired. That is a crappy thing to do.

they can both be crappy things.

You are hired with the expectation of showing up every day that you're on the schedule. That's what I tell my employees.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, klos63 said:

they can both be crappy things.

You are hired with the expectation of showing up every day that you're on the schedule. That's what I tell my employees.

Single parents have many things happen they can not control. Not every family can afford to have one parent be a stay at home caregiver. Kids get sick in a matter of hours. Kids need to be picked up when school calls and says they have to go home early for whatever reson, daycare shuts down for a day, weather closings, people get sick and hurt and can not make it in when they planned to work,  cars break down, fender benders happen everyday on commutes to work, etc etc.

Very unrealistic to expect all employees to show up every day they are on schedule. That is why many places in essential fields like healthcare, police, fire, etc etc have designated people on-call for theses normal occurrences.

I don't want someone working for me who puts a job over the safety and welfare of their kids/family. That is just bad business.

3 hours ago, Chris66 said:

I bet their unemployment insurance is through the roof.

They fought every one of them claiming they were fired for cause. Since they won all of them, in our state the unemployment laws are all written to favor employer and put the burden of proof on employee. So they paid no unemployment insurance to the state as their account  was full and never taking any hits from any unemployed. Only had to pay in some when state mandated higher amounts periodically.

Edited by cba fan

10 minutes ago, cba fan said:

Single parents have many things happen they can not control. Not every family can afford to have one parent be a stay at home caregiver. Kids get sick in a matter of hours. Kids need to be picked up when school calls and says they have to go home early for whatever reson, daycare shuts down for a day, weather closings, people get sick and hurt and can not make it in when they planned to work,  cars break down, fender benders happen everyday on commutes to work, etc etc.

Very unrealistic to expect all employees to show up every day they are on schedule. That is why many places in essential fields like healthcare, police, fire, etc etc have designated people on-call for theses normal occurrences.

I don't want someone working for me who puts a job over the safety and welfare of their kids/family. That is just bad business.

They fought every one of them claiming they were fired for cause.

It depends....

I did see a gushing Patriots promo in which the headline was something like the Patriots vying for a record tying 6th Super Bowl title.

That made me feel a little better about it. Record tying. Ok, I might not throw up if things go wrong. Record tying. Record TYING....

LOL

25 minutes ago, cba fan said:

They fought every one of them claiming they were fired for cause. Since they won all of them, in our state the unemployment laws are all written to favor employer and put the burden of proof on employee. So they paid no unemployment insurance to the state as their account  was full and never taking any hits from any unemployed. Only had to pay in some when state mandated higher amounts periodically.

Most of my staff are single mothers, I understand their plight. I don't fire them for 3 absences, but I also can't run a business where they call in too much. I've had outrageous attendance issues over the years, it prevents me from growing my business. I'm a single parent as well, and i don't miss any work. I have backup plans, they need to also.

This all started with a poster saying he would call in sick to watch the Bills in the super bowl. Totally different to what is being discussed now. Calling in to watch a game or do whatever fun thing you'd like to do is BS no matter how you cut it.

• Like (+1) 1

How would you feel about putting in for a vacation day the Monday after the Super Bowl a couple months in advance in preparation for the Bills going?

I already put in for a PTO day on April 8, 2024 for the total lunar eclipse.

Everyone thought I was kidding but I went through the process and got it approved. I'll be in my backyard enjoying the totality!

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 1

On 1/23/2018 at 10:00 AM, Moose said:

That's not what my BS meter says.

Sorry but my team is Tampa so you sir are WRONG. Try again. Sorry that you are one of the bitter Bills fans that can't appreciate greatness when they see it. I bet you are one them that isn't going to watch the Super Bowl.

Of course I am.

Not a pats fan but it will certainly be a sight to behold when Brady and Hoodie hoist their 6th Lombardi trophy and start fitting rings on their other hands because of all the ones they have already.

We are truly privy to something special and will never see something like this again in the NFL or any pro sports league in our lifetimes.

3 hours ago, klos63 said:

Most of my staff are single mothers, I understand their plight. I don't fire them for 3 absences, but I also can't run a business where they call in too much. I've had outrageous attendance issues over the years, it prevents me from growing my business. I'm a single parent as well, and i don't miss any work. I have backup plans, they need to also.

This all started with a poster saying he would call in sick to watch the Bills in the super bowl. Totally different to what is being discussed now. Calling in to watch a game or do whatever fun thing you'd like to do is BS no matter how you cut it.

Agreed 100%.

Yes I took this thread pretty far off topic. Sorry I didn't mean to bust on ya. We agree on a lot here. Business owners have a tough job keeping it all running smooth I know. 

Edited by cba fan
  • Like (+1) 1

I do not intend to watch and, even if I did, I am banned from watching any Patriettes game on the main TV in the living room because a stream of obscenities usually ensues. 

Even the commercials have been obtuse, so that's no draw either. (I am, however, a sucker for commercials with dogs in them. Woof!)

1 hour ago, Moose said:

I do not intend to watch and, even if I did, I am banned from watching any Patriettes game on the main TV in the living room because a stream of obscenities usually ensues. 

Even the commercials have been obtuse, so that's no draw either. (I am, however, a sucker for commercials with dogs in them. Woof!)

I agree that the Super Bowl Commercial phenomenon jumped the shark a handful of years ago.  And about the stream of Patriots*-related obscenities. :censored:

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

I agree that the Super Bowl Commercial phenomenon jumped the shark a handful of years ago.  And about the stream of Patriots*-related obscenities. :censored:

Hello, Jay - how are you doing? I've only recently taken the time to drop by TBD. It's good to be back, but I'm dismayed that there are so many Patsie fans that hang out here. What is their problem? It's as if they need to come here and engage in order to convince themselves that their team is as wonderful as they like to think it is.