QB Draft confessional

Dadonkadonk

I propose before posting about the QB position you disclose your past.  

I have been a TT supporter and wanted the Bills to trade down as they did and then trade back up in 2017 draft for Kizer when he fell.  I thought they were trading up for Kizer when they took Zay Can't catch Jones.  I thought he should have stayed in school but he could sit a year or two behind TT.  I think jury is still out on him.  Will be so interesting to see what Cleveland does. 

I know at least 25% or more of this board wanted Manziel.  I'm not saying just because you wanted Manziel you should not have a voice in the discussion but those that did should come clean and own that draft suggestion.  Most of us knew he was a bust waiting to happen. 

As for 2018 and as of now, Josh Allen would be my top rated QB but likely will be gone or cost too much to move up and get.  

I've been a TT supporter, b/c he's been the best QB we've had since at least Flutie.  And, as Flutie was, I love rooting for the underdog.

I'm a humongous Sooners fan, and I'm hoping we end up with Baker.

If we choose not to move around in the draft, and Mayfield is not there for us at our first pick, I hope we get Rudolph.

• Like (+1) 2

The closest I get to a confessional is that I had Blake Bortles graded as the best Quarterback in the 2014 class. I have rewatched some of Derek Carr's college games since that draft and even knowing what I know now I still would have a 1st/2nd borderline grade on him.  He has, in 2015 and 2016 certainly, played better than that in the NFL but I stand by the grade I put on his college tape.  And Bortles is the first QB from that class to play in a Conference Championship game..... so there's that.  :)

• Like (+1) 1

2011 was the first draft class that I really paid attention to. I'll list 'my guys' from that point on.

2011 - Colin Kaepernick

2012 - Russell Wilson (honourable mention to the blue turf beast himself, Kellen Moore)

2013 - Matt Barkley (I've watched those USC games back, still would draft him)

2014 - Teddy Bridgewater/Zach Mettenberger

2015 - Loved Jameis, liked Marcus, hated everyone else like they slept with my sister.

2016 - Early Wentz truther, Goff lover, Dak appreciator. Paxton Lynch still looks like he should be in a knock-off Pirates of the Caribbean film.

2017 - Deshone Kizer, king of my heart. I'm going to die on this hill. If anyone knows where Hue Jackson lives, I have a package to send him.

As far as the Bills go, I'm on record as being a Tyrod 'hater' from his second preseason game. Not because I think he's terrible, just that he's the type of guy you cling to for years because of the odd spark here and there. I worried the team wouldn't strive to do better than 'on his day, he can be good enough.'

Hated the Peterman pick, disliked the EJ pick. Long live Kyle Orton.

Edited by Blokestradamus
  • Like (+1) 3

Not from the draft, but a QB confession just the same. I thought Brian Brohm was going to be a find. 

The year we drafted EJ, didn't like any of the QBs, so I talked myself into Matt Scott because at least it would be a low round pick spent on him.

When we signed TT, I hoped he would win the starting position. Only because the other 2 options were horrible. 

The only time I knew they should trade a QB was Wilson.  The Bills traded up in the 3rd round and I though, yes they are picking a QB then, CJ Graham.  Watch him at NCS and knew he had those intangible qualities you want. 

I would have loved Carolina passing on Cam Newton because we would have picked him at #3.

I can't believe the QB Cleveland has passed on. 

3 hours ago, Blokestradamus said:

2011 was the first draft class that I really paid attention to. I'll list 'my guys' from that point on.

2011 - Colin Kaepernick

2012 - Russell Wilson (honourable mention to the blue turf beast himself, Kellen Moore)

2013 - Matt Barkley (I've watched those USC games back, still would draft him)

2014 - Teddy Bridgewater/Zach Mettenberger

2015 - Loved Jameis, liked Marcus, hated everyone else like they slept with my sister.

2016 - Early Wentz truther, Goff lover, Dak appreciator. Paxton Lynch still looks like he should be in a knock-off Pirates of the Caribbean film.

2017 - Deshone Kizer, king of my heart. I'm going to die on this hill. If anyone knows where Hue Jackson lives, I have a package to send him.

As far as the Bills go, I'm on record as being a Tyrod 'hater' from his second preseason game. Not because I think he's terrible, just that he's the type of guy you cling to for years because of the odd spark here and there. I worried the team wouldn't strive to do better than 'on his day, he can be good enough.'

Hated the Peterman pick, disliked the EJ pick. Long live Kyle Orton.

My history in terms of really spending time on it goes back to 2014.  The guys I had rated as first and second rounders since then are:

2014 - 1st round: Bortles, Bridgewater; 2nd round: Carr, Garoppolo.

2015 - 1st round: Mariota, Winston; 2nd round: None.

2016 - 1st round: Wentz, Goff; 2nd round: Cook, Prescott.

2017 - 1st round: Watson, Trubisky; 2nd round: Kizer.

EDIT: And I was right there with Blokes on Peterman.  Hated, hated, hated the pick.  

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

I wanted T-Mobile to succeed and attributed some of his bad games to schemes and the people around him, but after watching this year, I was wrong.  Taylor is a good back-up who can come in and not hurt a team, but he is not leading the team to a win consistently.  

QB's I have wanted in the past -- biggest push was for Cousins in the 3rd round.  This year, I've been on the Mayfield bandwagon and I think he could be good, but there will be some developmental time for him and the aging Bills don't have that time.  I'm now on the Alex Smith bandwagon and with him, I think the Bills can make and advance in the playoffs in 2018.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Full disclosure, I was living in Florida in 2004.  I had two roommates,  one a Dolphins fan and one a Pats fan.  We had a friend over who was a Bucs fan.  I was the lone Bills fan and when the Bills traded up with the Cowboys, before the Bills picked, I was repeatedly saying out loud, not J.P. Losman, not J.P. Losman...  the Buffalo Bills select, J.P. Losman, quarterback, Tulane.  My friends died laughing.

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

6 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

When Ryan leaf and Peyton Manning were coming out, I told people that Leaf was a sure thing and Manning was the 1999 equivalent of “meh.”

so, not sure I have a lot of credibility. :lol:

I think fans evaluate college qbs on their occasional bad games and not on their overall body of work. That's what I think is going on with Darnold now, who was mostly really good. I'm not saying he's going to be Manning, of course.

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I think fans evaluate college qbs on their occasional bad games and not on their overall body of work. That's what I think is going on with Darnold now, who was mostly really good. I'm not saying he's going to be Manning, of course.

I agree. Occasional bad game and occasional good ones. If a guy has a huge bowl game (eg, sammy watkins), he suddenly skyrockets through the roof.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

It is definitely what happened with Deshaun Watson last year.  He had two years of being mainly excellent and 4 games at the start of least season where looked kind of off for whatever reason.  Those 4 games led some people to say he couldn't play in the NFL and should be a mid round pick.  

• Like (+1) 1

I tend to cling to a single prospect in multiple areas of the draft rather than liking a bunch that will go in the same general spot. Here's the guys I liked:

2010: Zac Robinson Day 2, Dan LeFevour Day 3

2011: Cam Newton Top 5 pick, Ryan Mallett Day 2, Tyrod Early Day 3

2012: Luck obviously, Russ Wilson Rd 2

2013: Geno Smith Rd 1, Landry Jones Day 2

2014: Blake Bortles Top 10, Aaron Murray Day 2

2015: Marcus Mariota Top 5, Garrett Grayson Day 3

2016: Jared Goff Top 5, Cardale Jones Day 2, Brandon Doughty Day 3

2017: Deshaun Watson Mid-1st, Davis Webb Day 2, C.J. Beathard Day 3

2018: Josh Rosen Top 5, Mason Rudolph Late 1st, Riley Ferguson Day 2, Mike White Early Day 3

• Like (+1) 1

I was an E.j supporter.  Still feel like the first year really messed him up . and no I an not saying he would have been a top 10 qb but better then what we lived through the last two years .  

Gave Taylor year one and over the last two years came to realize he is way below average.   Average qb play and this team wine 11 games this year .  

I have to admit I am like the Bills I haven't loved any of these qb's over the last few drafts enough to make a big move to get one.   I like grabbing one every year in the mid rounds however.  For some reason they didn't do that for a lot of years.  

This year. I am all about getting a quality vet.  Weather it is Dalton, smith, Bradford they all can play. Bradford gets hurt i get it . If he didn't get hurt you wouldn't be able to sniff him . 

I would Draft someone in the Middle rounds again , White, Ferguson Falk work they all have some skills to work around.  

I do not see a way to trade in for the top two guys so that makes the decision not to move up easier to make   

In general, I do not have strong opinions on specific QB.  I don't watch enough college football.  The only time I had a strong general opinion was when Blaine Gabbert was being touted pre-draft as a #1 pick, maybe better than Newton, because I see Mizzou sometimes.  I did not agree and did not want to see the Bills draft Gabbert!  The only time I had can recall being irate at a draft is when the Bills passed up Russell Wilson and traded up for TJ "are you kidding me?" Graham.   I was also opposed to Manziel - at a minimum I think NFL QB need a strong and consistent work ethic to succeed, and it was clear from the stories pre-draft he didn't know what "work ethic" meant.

I have been irate for years at how little "draft capital" the Bills have expended on QB, and how they are always trying to find a "hidden gem" on the second-tier trade or FA market or in the late rounds, and taking that as sufficient.    The way fans here go over-the-top supporting and overvaluing late round picks who have not shown anything exceptional in TC or preseason or game glimpses (like Levi Brown, Cardale Jones, and Nathan Peterman) is a symptom of this IMHO.

Full disclosure: I was delighted when we ditched Trent Edwards for Ryan Fitzpatrick.  He was remembered in St Louis as a gamer and a guy who showed some flashes.  I thought he had a chance to improve and grow into a starting QB when he brought us back in some games.  I also thought Tyrod Taylor had promise.  I think the relative success of "meh" QB like Josh McCown and Case Keenum shows that offensive scheme and playcalling (and the weapons around a guy) have an effect.  I still think fans here go "over the top" dissing them as "garbage" and "worst" and all - it's not that I think they're top-10 QB, they had their shot and they didn't take the needed step - but I feel the over-the-top fan critique is also symptomatic of the underattention the Bills have given to the QB position in the last 2 decades.  We don't need Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers to succeed, and bringing in "dark horse FA" and late- round draft picks is fine - but we have to stop doing this one at a time and giving each of them 3 years apiece as the unquestioned starter.  We should have drafted and brought in someone else Ryan Fitzpatrick's 2nd year, and Tyrod Taylor's 2nd year.  

Bottom line: in general, I am less in favor of some specific QB in the draft than of something the Bills have lacked for the last 2 decades, a coherent and high-effort strategy to acquire and develop high-level QB play.

35 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

When Ryan leaf and Peyton Manning were coming out, I told people that Leaf was a sure thing and Manning was the 1999 equivalent of “meh.”

I had no opinion either way, but you were not alone, and if everyone else who favored Leaf "came out of the closet" there'd be plenty of space in that closet.

I was intrigued with the idea of TT from the start but wasn't happy he was only put against Cassel and EJ to "win" the job. I thought back then if he had any halfway decent comp, he wouldn't have won the job. I pulled for him to progress, but very early in his 2nd year I was convinced he was never going to change. Great back up to have but never going to be The Guy. That said, I won't be too upset if they decide to keep him if they make a move to draft our future...if they allow him to play his style, on the move, and if/when he gets hurt, move on to the rookie without looking back.

41 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I think you've just lost whatever credibility you ever had left.

Aye Carumba

Last year they had Deshaun Watson and Mahomes on the board and I thought they should have just taken whoever they thought was the best one. A lot of people thought that it would be Mahomes. I was not high on either but they needed a QB and either one was just as good as Trubisky. When they traded down I posted and said this will haunt us and we will watch these QB's career and wonder what if.

Year before I didn't like any of the top guys. I did not believe Wentz would be any good because of the competition he faced and going to the pros and starting right away would be too big of a jump. Admittedly I didn't give him much of a chance because of where he played. People kept mocking to us Dak in the 3rd and I wanted them to take him real bad. I thought he was just as good as the top 2 if in the right offense. Connor Cook in the 2nd made sense too but I though he would go round 1 and I didn't think he was worth the pick because of his attitude. Cardale made zero sense and I got online to voice my displeasure and I was told I was wrong.

Year before that the only person I liked was Jameis Winston. I saw him as the best QB since Luck to come out. I did not think Mariota would pan out.

This year it's Josh Rosen. He is far and away the best of the bunch. If he falls because of his entitled attitude they would be dumb not to try and trade up to get him. He's the best QB since Winston and I think he can be better. Winston raped and stole and was still #1 and you aren't going to take the best QB since then because he acts like a know it all? That's silly to me. When he is in the pro bowl in 2 yrs come back and look this up and laugh about how he did not go #1.

I thought Trent Edwards would succeed. Then I was optimistic about Nathan Peterman before he played against San Diego. Now, I say, although my first two calculations perhaps were a bit premature or a bit off, ok maybe a lot off,  three is the charm, as Baker Mayfield is our franchise guy. He is stocky and cocky, elusive and  and with good enough arm, talent and intangibles that he will lead us to our first Super Bowl win. Do not draft china dolls, fumble rooskies, those who would fold under pressure, and those who  are one dimensional. I am ok with Alex Smith for a few years though, before Mayfield plays. Let him learn and trust the process, and not give the job to him from day one. So, trade away our two #1's and one of our second rounders, to move up to number four in the draft, to draft Mayfield.. And get on the phone to our trade buddies in KC, to trade for Alex Smith. 

I appreciate the honesty and the candor of this confessional...Takes guts and shows character plus - based on College film - it really is crazy how it turns out for some.

Personally I wanted TT to succeed since he is a hard worker and because I met him so it makes it easier to root for a good guy like that.  Selfishly - had he clicked, then we wouldn't have to use sacred Draft Capital to get another.

I am not as knowledgeable as the Draft Gurus on here (love reading their insight) but the guy I wanted when watching back in the day was Big Ben and he went just 2 picks before us.

This year I think the Bills will go for Rudolf because he checks off the character and  playing 3/4 seasons as a starter boxes.  

I liked and still like Tyrod. I didn't expect much from him when he originally signed, but I knew a guy that had connections to the team and he was telling my family that Rex favored Tyrod the whole way. I still think Tyrod is roughly an average starting QB; he's just a unique QB that is best suited to be playing on a team with a great defense and WRs that can go deep. I was also told that going back a little further, the previous regime badly wanted Eddie Lacy the year he was in the draft. I also had a heads up that the Bills were secretly in love with EJ Manuel a few months before the draft and were letting the media run wild with the Nassib connection to hide their interest.

Going back to past draft classes:

2013: I didn't love any of them, but if forced to choose, I preferred Nassib and Geno. As I mentioned though, I had a heads up about the interest in EJ...I remember absolutely hating his film but the Bills loved his personality and physical tools and were hoping they could coach him up the way Marrone did with Nassib at Syracuse. Of course the plan was never for EJ to play as early as he did but their plans went out the window very quickly.

2014: Manziel was my #1 QB. I didn't (and still don't) like Bridgewater at all. I was meh on Bortles; thought it was a reach at #3 but thought he was fine in general as a 1st round pick. I liked Garappolo a lot, but I may have subconsciously been rooting for him just due to him coming from a small school. I still think Manziel would have been a good QB if not for his addiction problems.

2015: I loved Jameis. I liked Mariota a lot. The Bucs were my childhood team and I still watch almost all their games, so I was extremely invested in that draft class. I always preferred Jameis but I would have been happy with either guy. The rest of that class was pretty awful; I thought Petty at least had some potential, but he was just a developmental guy and the rest were garbage.

2016: I loved Wentz. I preferred Paxton Lynch over Goff. I despised Cardale. I also was told that Buffalo planned to take Dak at that spot but obviously the Cowboys beat them to the punch by a couple of picks.

2017: I viewed last year's class like this: there was a QB prospect for all types of philosophies; no Andrew Luck-level prospect, but you could get a good prospect for any type of QB that you prefer. I personally loved Mahomes. My rankings were Mahomes, Watson, Kizer, Trubisky, Webb, in that order.

This year, my rankings are (not necessarily who I think will be best, but the order in which I'd take them):

1. Lamar Jackson

2. Sam Darnold

3. Josh Allen

4. Baker Mayfield

5. Josh Rosen

6. Kyle Lauletta

7. Logan Woodside

8. Luke Falk

9. Mason Rudolph

Edited by DCOrange

Not a fan of TT going into the season.  It was clear what he could do at this point.  Hated the Ej pick, wanted Geno.  Liked Barkley.  Loved Jameis but did not like Mariota.  Liked Wentz and Goff but not Lynch.  liked Bridgewater and couldn't believe he fell as far as he did.  Really wanted Trubisky or Watson last year and wanted no part of Mahomes.  I'll take Darnold or Rosen.  Allen if they let him sit bc he needs to work on his touch.  Do not want Baker or Jackson at all.  Would settle for Rudolph.

When Tyrod beat out Manuel, I thought there would be improvement in QB play, and I think I was right.  I gradually came to believe that Tyrod had a lower ceiling than the Bills needed at QB to become more than a borderline playoff team.  That's were I've been for about a year.

In the draft, I don't think it is likely to be feasible to trade up where Buffalo can draft one of the top 2 QBs (Rosen or Darnold) and I've heard enough about Rosen's attitude, I don't think I'd want him anyway.  I would not be upset if Buffalo drafted someone from the second tier when their picks come up at 21 and 22.  I consider the second tier to include Josh Allen (though some include him at the top with Darnold and Rosen.  With Allen in that second tier are Mayfield, Rudolph, and Jackson.  I also think it's possible that Buffalo will wait until the third tier.

23 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I liked and still like Tyrod. I didn't expect much from him when he originally signed, but I knew a guy that had connections to the team and he was telling my family that Rex favored Tyrod the whole way. I still think Tyrod is roughly an average starting QB; he's just a unique QB that is best suited to be playing on a team with a great defense and WRs that can go deep. I was also told that going back a little further, the previous regime badly wanted Eddie Lacy the year he was in the draft. I also had a heads up that the Bills were secretly in love with EJ Manuel a few months before the draft and were letting the media run wild with the Nassib connection to hide their interest.

Going back to past draft classes:

2013: I didn't love any of them, but if forced to choose, I preferred Nassib and Geno. As I mentioned though, I had a heads up about the interest in EJ...I remember absolutely hating his film but the Bills loved his personality and physical tools and were hoping they could coach him up the way Marrone did with Nassib at Syracuse. Of course the plan was never for EJ to play as early as he did but their plans went out the window very quickly.

2014: Manziel was my #1 QB. I didn't (and still don't) like Bridgewater at all. I was meh on Bortles; thought it was a reach at #3 but thought he was fine in general as a 1st round pick. I liked Garappolo a lot, but I may have subconsciously been rooting for him just due to him coming from a small school. I still think Manziel would have been a good QB if not for his addiction problems.

2015: I loved Jameis. I liked Mariota a lot. The Bucs were my childhood team and I still watch almost all their games, so I was extremely invested in that draft class. I always preferred Jameis but I would have been happy with either guy. The rest of that class was pretty awful; I thought Petty at least had some potential, but he was just a developmental guy and the rest were garbage.

2016: I loved Wentz. I preferred Paxton Lynch over Goff. I despised Cardale. I also was told that Buffalo planned to take Dak at that spot but obviously the Cowboys beat them to the punch by a couple of picks.

2017: I viewed last year's class like this: there was a QB prospect for all types of philosophies; no Andrew Luck-level prospect, but you could get a good prospect for any type of QB that you prefer. I personally loved Mahomes. My rankings were Mahomes, Watson, Kizer, Trubisky, Webb, in that order.

This year, my rankings are (not necessarily who I think will be best, but the order in which I'd take them):

1. Lamar Jackson

2. Sam Darnold

3. Josh Allen

4. Baker Mayfield

5. Josh Rosen

6. Kyle Lauletta

7. Logan Woodside

8. Luke Falk

9. Mason Rudolph

What is it about Rudolph that you have him last?

Certainly his throwing motion isn't as long but that and pocket presence can be coached, but curious why last of the crop above?

Thanks in advance

1 hour ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I think a lot of people felt the same way.  Leaf had all the physical attributes to be the guy.  Just didn't have any redeeming intangibles which is often times, especially at QB(where the intangibles are so important) are much tougher to measure.  I guess when in doubt go with the strong pedigree, which PM certainly had.

I did something similar telling people RG III was going to be a better pro than Luck.  Although who knows if Luck comes back from this shoulder injury. 

I was always a Brady fan...during high school in CA and college in Michigan. I wanted the Bills to draft him in the 4th round.

Desean Watson - I knew from wayy back this kid was gonna be special.

Wentz - I think I was one of the first on this board saying how he would dominate the NFL.

As for this year's draft...there's a few sleeper picks I like but I'll wait and see how everyone else goes on the record.

• Haha (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Beef on Weck said:

What is it about Rudolph that you have him last?

Certainly his throwing motion isn't as long but that and pocket presence can be coached, but curious why last of the crop above?

Thanks in advance

To be clear, I think Rudolph is a fine choice around the 4th round or so. He's just a very blah prospect IMO.

I think he has a very low ceiling. I think his best case scenario is to become a poor starter. There isn't anything about him that you can really hang your hat on. The velocity on his throws are probably below average or average at best. His ball placement is average at best. His athleticism is below average. He plays in a one-read system. There just isn't really anything there to get you excited IMO while the others all have at least something (maybe Falk as the exception; he's pretty similar to Rudolph but I slightly prefer him).

In order:

Lamar: Athleticism, arm strength, dramatic improvements to accuracy, experience going through progressions

Darnold: above average athleticism, ball placement, lots of flashes

Allen: Athleticism, arm strength, experience going through progressions

Mayfield: Mobility, ball placement

Rosen: Arm strength, above average ball placement, experience going through progressions

Lauletta: Ball placement

Woodside: Ball placement

Edited by DCOrange

2011 - Badly wanted Cam, remember when everyone in the national media laughed at Buddy Nix in February for wanting Cam, then we was the consensus #1 pick by April.

2012 - I really badly wanted Wilson.  Was jumping for joy when they traded up and he was on the board, then they took TJ Graham, and I remembered "oh yeah, I'm a Bills fan".

2013 - I liked EJ the best but I didn't want to take him before round 3.

2014 - Certainly wanted nothing to do with Manziel.  I thought Aaron Murray or Zach Mettenberger would be a steal late.  Liked Carr the best of the "1st round" QBs.

2015 - Thought Jameis would be a superstar.  Wasn't sold on Mariota transitioning, liked Hundley the best of the later round QBs.

2016- Loved Cardale where we got him.  Thought Conner Cook would be ok.  Was not a believer in Dak, I thought there was too much Tebow in his game.

2017- Liked Watson the best and Mahomes a close second, thought we should have taken either one with our pick.  I'm still intrigued by Davis Webb.  I think Peterman sucks.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

To be clear, I think Rudolph is a fine choice around the 4th round or so. He's just a very blah prospect IMO.

I think he has a very low ceiling. I think his best case scenario is to become a poor starter. There isn't anything about him that you can really hang your hat on. The velocity on his throws are probably below average or average at best. His ball placement is average at best. His athleticism is below average. He plays in a one-read system. There just isn't really anything there to get you excited IMO while the others all have at least something (maybe Falk as the exception; he's pretty similar to Rudolph but I slightly prefer him).

In order:

Lamar: Athleticism, arm strength, dramatic improvements to accuracy, experience going through progressions

Darnold: above average athleticism, ball placement, lots of flashes

Allen: Athleticism, arm strength, experience going through progressions

Mayfield: Mobility, ball placement

Rosen: Arm strength, above average ball placement, experience going through progressions

Lauletta: Ball placement

Woodside: Ball placement

Nice to see other people who aren't immediately writing off Jackson.  I still like Darnold and Rosen more than him, but I'd put Jackson 3rd.  I have irrational (maybe rational) hatred of Mayfield, I think he's a moron who is too small and makes too many bad choices both on and off the field.  Blows my mind that people who didn't want Watson or Mahomes last year are now stumping for Mayfield.  Allen / Lauletta / Woodside are admittedly blindspots I have, but my gut feels like Allen is riding Wentz's coat tails a bit.

25 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Nice to see other people who aren't immediately writing off Jackson.  I still like Darnold and Rosen more than him, but I'd put Jackson 3rd.  I have irrational (maybe rational) hatred of Mayfield, I think he's a moron who is too small and makes too many bad choices both on and off the field.  Blows my mind that people who didn't want Watson or Mahomes last year are now stumping for Mayfield.  Allen / Lauletta / Woodside are admittedly blindspots I have, but my gut feels like Allen is riding Wentz's coat tails a bit.

I tend to favor upside when I choose QBs, and Allen has arguably the most upside in the entire class if he can sort out his footwork issues. He's got some serious issues with his footwork and I think it explains at least some of his accuracy issues.