The NYJ Extend the Contracts of GM Mike Maccagnan and HC Todd Bowles

26CornerBlitz

Just now, Happy Gilmore said:

Although their record may not reflect it, I think the Jets are headed in the right direction; it will take a little more time.  Plus, the players seem to like Bowles and play hard for him.

I agree and it was a good move for the franchise to give both of them two additional years.  They need a long term answer at QB just like many other teams including the Bills.

Hmmm. This seems Billsy to me. They are 5-10. They played a last place schedule. They weren’t complete trash like Cleveland but they weren’t good. No idea if they are headed in the right direction. They spent a 2nd on Hackenberg and 2 years later he still hadn’t taken a snap. They drafted Petty before that and he’s nowhere. How do the Jets know these guys can evaluate a QB?  I will give them credit for mccown looking better than expected. But the drafting has been underwhelming and I think Bowles is pretty bad. They surpassed expectations but that’s because expectations were rock bottom. Jmo.

14 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

I'm sure Joe Benigno is just loving life right now

He's triggered and may have a heart attack on air, I fear.

3 minutes ago, McBean said:

Good move for the Jets.

I think what Bowles has done this season is nothing short of a miracle.

The same can be said for bills coaching.

18 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Hmmm. This seems Billsy to me. They are 5-10. They played a last place schedule. They weren’t complete trash like Cleveland but they weren’t good. No idea if they are headed in the right direction. They spent a 2nd on Hackenberg and 2 years later he still hadn’t taken a snap. They drafted Petty before that and he’s nowhere. How do the Jets know these guys can evaluate a QB?  I will give them credit for mccown looking better than expected. But the drafting has been underwhelming and I think Bowles is pretty bad. They surpassed expectations but that’s because expectations were rock bottom. Jmo.

I strongly lean towards this too.  They look okay on certain weeks because Bowles an put together a very solid "D" game plan for certain teams and schemes.

Mccown had allot to do with them having as much success as they had. I don't blame ownership for giving Bowles more opportunity to develop this team. When he became coach he had allot of players on their way out of the league and he had to make some less than popular decisions and it was gonna take time to rebuild. They obviously need a QB and allot of help but allot people didn't think they would win a game this year.

25 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Good news for Bills fans.

Um, we're 1-3 against them In the last 2 years.

they set TB to fail this year with possibly the least talented roster in the NFL and they were in basically every game.  I think He's a very solid coach. They should keep McCown and get a qb high in the draft.  

Bowles seems like a good coach.  His players seem to play really hard for him.  Horrible drafting in recent history has hurt them; especially their handling of the QB position.  2017 picks Adams and Maye have been a good, physical tandem.  I think this is probably the best move for the Jets.

1 minute ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Bowles seems like a good coach.  His players seem to play really hard for him.  Horrible drafting in recent history has hurt them; especially their handling of the QB position.  2017 picks Adams and Maye have been a good, physical tandem.  I think this is probably the best move for the Jets.

I like that they took shots going after Qbs.  They just picked terrible Qbs who a lot of people didn't like. 

They had even more strife and necessary turnover than us.  They alsways can surprise everyone and beat the Pats Sunday.  I agree with the extension.  Everyone thought they would be worse than the Browns and maybe win one game at best.  They were in a lot of games this year and played hard.

i like the move.  Give them time and see if they can turn it around is my vote.

6 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Exactly. I think them staying is good for the Bills.

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

I think this was a really good move by the Jets.

The revolving door - as we all know - does not work.

Bowles has earned this extension.

Earned it by having one of the worst teams in the league?

I feel like they’ll be going after a veteran QB. Watch them grab an edge rusher in the first round, or an offensive lineman. Could definitely see them going after an Alex Smith/Sam Bradford/Blake Bortles/Tyrod Taylor/AJ McCarron/Trevor Siemian/ possibly even Kirk Cousins and then draft a guy later on in the draft. 

5 minutes ago, Dkollidas said:

I feel like they’ll be going after a veteran QB. Watch them grab an edge rusher in the first round, or an offensive lineman. Could definitely see them going after an Alex Smith/Sam Bradford/Blake Bortles/Tyrod Taylor/AJ McCarron/Trevor Siemian/ possibly even Kirk Cousins and then draft a guy later on in the draft. 

Other than Alex Smith, those names are no better than mccown and they should just stick with him as the vet QB since he already knows the system. I don’t consider mccarron a vet - he only has a few games of experience. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Other than Alex Smith, those names are no better than mccown and they should just stick with him as the vet QB since he already knows the system. I don’t consider mccarron a vet - he only has a few games of experience. 

Couldn't agree more, they appear to be all in on the rebuild and I'd be shocked if they don't draft a QB early. McCown played well this year, Petty is not the answer and Hack hasn't seen the field (which tells me everything I need to know about him). McCown is a perfect fit for their rebuild. 

When the season started I thought Bowles was a caretaker for this year. The team totally quit on him last year but I have to admit they played hard for most of the games this year and I guess that's why they extended him. Personally I still have my doubts about him and I'm surprised he was extended. 

4 minutes ago, H2o said:

Bowles seems like a good coach, but the GM? He should be fired for the Hackenberg pick alone. 

Maccagnans picks:

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/04/nfl_draft_2017_grading_mike_maccagnans_jets_draft.html

Petty was his pick too.  Ouch.  He was a 4th rounder, Hack a 2nd, I assume he'll take one in round 1 this year.  Better not miss.

10 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Although their record may not reflect it, I think the Jets are headed in the right direction; it will take a little more time.  Plus, the players seem to like Bowles and play hard for him.

They also don't have a QB but are in a position to get one in this years draft

No Jets fans should have a problem with this considering what Bowles did with a team that most expected to be in the running for 0-16 like the Browns did this year.

And unfortunately for the Bills and rest of the division, if they secure a franchise QB in the draft they could have a very quick turnaround and be back in the playoff conversation next year.