Gronk committed deliberate, intentional, and defenseless criminal assault with his metal elbow brace

reginald

Just now, RoyBatty is alive said:

If the NFL is going to waste millions on deflategate then they the NFl really needs to examine that elbow brace to determine how much of a weapon it really could be.

they've fallen all over themselves trying to stop spearing and other leading with the helmet type tackles, this seems stupidly obvious.  How about this, no steel allowed in anything that can come in contact with an opposing player?  And if you use your steel augmented arm in an assaultive manor, and there's no doubt about your intent, then you're done.  Out of the league and offered up as a sacrificial lamb to law enforcement.  one big jackass like gronk gets banned from the league it'll never happen again

Just now, stevewin said:

Or a pitcher throwing at a batters head while he's stepped out of the batter's box and is looking at the base coach for signals, not paying any attention to the pitcher

Except that there's a good chance that the pitcher would miss the batter's head.  There was zero chance Gronk would miss White's.

I don't think this would ever solve any of this - but in my opinion would be just punishment.  If you have a flagrant foul where you are intending to injure someone, you should be suspended for 2x the number of games they are out without pay, minimum 2 games.

This is NOT blood sport...  What in the hell was he thinking?  Roid Rage?

Let's take it easy.... more than half of this fan base frustration is that the Pats just dominated and will continue to dominate the Bills so long as Brady is around.  Cheap shot... Yes... Criminal act... come on now...

The way White was holding him all game... it's understandable that Gronk's frustration would have been at a high level.  Although what he did is still not acceptable, it is understandable.

Edited by Jobot
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Paulus said:

"Serious" as in community service.

Not true.  I don't know what the law is in NY, but in the state where I live, they have mandatory minimum sentences for violent crimes like assault.  I have known people with no prior record being sent to prison for what is essentially a bar fight.

Edited by mannc

4 minutes ago, Jobot said:

Let's take it easy.... more than half of this fan base frustration is that the Pats just dominated and will continue to dominate the Bills so long as Brady is around.  Cheap shot... Yes... Criminal act... come on now...

The way White was holding him all game... it's understandable that Gronk's frustration would have been at a high level.  Although what he did is still not acceptable, it is understandable.

really?  i get really mad at people i work with too, but i've never done that.  i'd be fired forever if i did

"It's an emotional game and these are like spur of the moment things, they just happen," Brady says.

"You always love to keep your cool all the time but you're in a sport where you're trying to run and block and hit and tackle and be physical and aggressive. That's why people tune in." 

Tom Brady: I Hope Gronk Isn't Suspended For Late Hit on Bills Player

3 minutes ago, Jobot said:

Right.  The victim was at fault.

White is a bad, bad man. Very naughty of him to instigate the other nice boy.

5 minutes ago, Jobot said:

Congrats - you're nearly as big a piece of crap as that psychopath Gronk.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, mannc said:

Not true.  I don't know what the law is in NY, but in the state where I live, they have mandatory minimum sentences for violent crimes like assault.  I have known people with no prior record being sent to prison for what is essentially a bar fight.

Gronk has $$$. 

2 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

I think the OP needs to know what the definition of a deadly weapon is. 

I think a metal elbow brace wielded by a 270 lb world class athlete could be considered a deadly weapon.

"A deadly weapon is generally defined as a firearm or anything manifestly designed, made, or adapted for the purposes of inflicting death or serious physical injury."

I believe his elbow brace was "adapted" by Gronk to inflict serious physical injury.

3 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

"It's an emotional game and these are like spur of the moment things, they just happen," Brady says.

"You always love to keep your cool all the time but you're in a sport where you're trying to run and block and hit and tackle and be physical and aggressive. That's why people tune in." 

So when an OLineman is frustrated for being held for the 20th time, and decides to take it out on Brady's knee - it is perfectly acceptable because you know - emotional game and spur of the moment

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Jobot said:

My ignore list is getting a workout today. Anyone who can understand why a player would do this can’t be taken seriously for me. And please note that it is far, far more than just “sad Bills fans” who feel this way. Check the overall reaction from nearly everyone on social media and regular media. Using that as a cop out is hilarious. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

My ignore list is getting a workout today. Anyone who can understand why a player would do this can’t be taken seriously for me. 

Have you ever played or done anything competitively...  You get pissed off and you retaliate

There is implied consent in sports that usually protects players from assault charges. But there’s no implied consent for a defenseless hit to the back of the head on someone laying on the ground. Gronk could and should be charged criminally, or at the very least be sued. Can’t think of a dirtier hit in blatant memory.

13 minutes ago, Jobot said:

What if Gronk pulled out a knife and stabbed White in the leg? Would that be understandable? What he did is actually just as dangerous.

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

There is implied consent in sports that usually protects players from assault charges. But there’s no implied consent for a defenseless hit to the back of the head on someone laying on the ground. Gronk could and should be charged criminally, or at the very least be sued. Can’t think of a dirtier hit in blatant memory.

sue and get a jury trial.  gronk will be returning cans for a living

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

What if Gronk pulled out a knife and stabbed White in the leg? Would that be understandable? What he did is actually just as dangerous.

LOL and totally different from pulling out a knife!  Your argument makes no sense! 

I guess this is this the first time that people have seen a hit after the whistle in the NFL!

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Hyperbole much?

It was a dirty hit.  Very dirty.  But no one came close to dying and he shouldn't be brought up on criminal charges.  This wasn't a curling match, for Christ's sake. 

Agreed it was an emotional dirty play and he even admitted as much when interviewed. He should be suspended for games if not the remainder of the season until playoffs.

But this crap that it was "criminal" and "assault" is just insane. Really stupid emotional plays that are dangerous and dirty happen in sports. In response so do massive suspensions. At the same point you cannot start to regulate things with the law with athletes who are at their max emotionally.

The bigger outrage should be if the NFL only suspends him a game or none at all. Examples need to be set especially with head hits. If Gronk is out the remainder of the season or at least misses the Pittsburgh game and NE loses that is a massive blow to the Pats to have to go on the road for the AFC title game.

Man watching the replay is even worst. Watching it live I though he got him in the middle of the back (still really bad). But that's straight to the friggen back of his head. We are actually pretty lucky the injury is only a concussion. Very easily could have been some damage to the C-vertebrae. Hopefully the league office can use common sense hear and suspend him for multiple games and give out a fine much larger than usual.

12 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

I hope the Bills have this posted in the locker room from now until the Patriots game. It’s an emotional game, who knows what might happen.

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

My ignore list is getting a workout today. Anyone who can understand why a player would do this can’t be taken seriously for me. And please note that it is far, far more than just “sad Bills fans” who feel this way. Check the overall reaction from nearly everyone on social media and regular media. Using that as a cop out is hilarious. 

If you can't separate yes Gronk was frustrated for how he was being covered and that is understandable from but he shouldn't have done that please stop reading and go to bed. Virtually everyone I have read has stated as much that it was a blatant cheap shot because the dude lost his cool. Guess what it happens all the time in sports across the board. Doesn't make it anymore right but Gronk is on a long list of idiots who did something stupid and now will face what should be massive repercussions that could cost his team home field in the playoffs.

1 minute ago, corta765 said:

Agreed it was an emotional dirty play and he even admitted as much when interviewed. He should be suspended for games if not the remainder of the season until playoffs.

But this crap that it was "criminal" and "assault" is just insane. Really stupid emotional plays that are dangerous and dirty happen in sports. In response so do massive suspensions. At the same point you cannot start to regulate things with the law with athletes who are at their max emotionally.

The bigger outrage should be if the NFL only suspends him a game or none at all. Examples need to be set especially with head hits. If Gronk is out the remainder of the season or at least misses the Pittsburgh game and NE loses that is a massive blow to the Pats to have to go on the road for the AFC title game.

The NFL can't have it both ways.  Either they are concerned with brain injuries or they aren't.   If the NFL isn't going to address the issue, it falls on outside entities to do so.  That could be the NFLPA, it could be the DA

4 minutes ago, Jobot said:

LOL and totally different from pulling out a knife!  Your argument makes no sense! 

I guess this is this the first time that people have seen a hit after the whistle in the NFL!

Quick anatomy lesson. Humans have this thing attached to their neck that we call the head. The head contains something very important called the brain. The brain is responsible for normal function of the rest of the body. If hit with a sufficient speed and force, the brain can be irrepably harmed and cause life-long bodily impairment.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, dorquemada said:

The NFL can't have it both ways.  Either they are concerned with brain injuries or they aren't.   If the NFL isn't going to address the issue, it falls on outside entities to do so.  That could be the NFLPA, it could be the DA

I have see far worse hits then what Gronk did in the last 5 years and those didn't require nor should they have a DA being involved. People commenting for the justice system to get involved are a straight embarrassment to the fan base.

21 minutes ago, Jobot said:

Dumb take. Really dumb. 

1 minute ago, corta765 said:

I have see far worse hits then what Gronk did in the last 5 years and those didn't require nor should they have a DA being involved. People commenting for the justice system to get involved are a straight embarrassment to the fan base.

5 years ago the NFL didnt care about turning young men into brain damaged husks.  It doesn't seem that they do now either.

4 minutes ago, corta765 said:

Can you provide a link to those videos? I want to see far worse dirty hits. 

Edited by Lfod

Just now, Lfod said:

Can you provide a link to those videos? I'm curious to see far worse dirty hits.

Just watch the Steelers Bengals WC game for starters from 2 years ago for starters. Burfict alone has a highlight real worth of hits.

1 minute ago, mannc said:

Name one.

Kiko Alonso on Joe Flacco a few weeks ago for starters or as I said above the entire Bengals Steelers WC game was a straight joke by both teams.

Just now, corta765 said:

Just watch the Steelers Bengals WC game for starters from 2 years ago for starters. Burfict alone has a highlight real worth of hits.

No give a specific example. You’re the one who said you’ve seen dirtier hits. You must have one in your memory then.

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

No give a specific example. You’re the one who said you’ve seen dirtier hits. You must have one in your memory then.

Broncos vs Cam Newton season opener in 2016 especially Stewart on Newton. Or Kiko on Flacco this season was far worse to me.

Edited by corta765

Just now, corta765 said:

Broncos vs Cam Newton season opener in 2016 especially Stewart on Newton.

Wow, what a horrible example.  It was a flagrant foul (or should have been) but it happened during a football play.  What are the other four? 

3 minutes ago, corta765 said:

Broncos vs Cam Newton season opener in 2016 especially Stewart on Newton. Or Kiko on Flacco this season was far worse to me.

You can’t pick a hit that happened during a football play. Gronk threw his full weight onto the back of his head and neck when White was on the ground and the play was over.

2 minutes ago, corta765 said:

Kiko Alonso on Joe Flacco a few weeks ago for starters or as I said above the entire Bengals Steelers WC game was a straight joke by both teams.

Yes, that Burfict hit on Antonio Brown in that game was horrible and cheap and dangerous. But at least it was still in the middle of a play, on the field, where he was trying to make a play for his team.

Gronk's hit yesterday was well after the whistle, to a defenseless player lying out of bounds. And as others pointed out, he thought about it, shuffled his feet to get the most impact possible and slammed a metal instrument to the back of Tre's head. It was premeditated, not within the confines of the game (whistle had blown), and cowardly (never shoot a man in the back).

Sorry Gronk's hit was worse than even that Burfict hit and I thought Burfict should have been suspended for the season for that one...

6 minutes ago, corta765 said:

You don't get it, do you?  All of those Burfict hits and the one by Kiko occurred as part of a football play.  Gronkowski's assault occurred when White was lying on the ground, well after he was tagged by another Patriot.  

11 minutes ago, corta765 said:

Please mention of few "far worse hits"?  Just a few.

Only one I can think of that even close close is some of Suh antics but nothing as egregious as Gronks.