11-13: McDermott and Coordinator Pressers

26CornerBlitz

59 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I have to believe it's Coach Speak....gotta defend your players in the press conference.

I can't believe for a second he really believes in these guys.  He's not an idiot.  He will try to replace them in the offseason.

Thank you - he isn't an idiot.

Though I do believe he supports both Tolbert and Ducasse, and every other player this board has a gripe with starting (rightly so). But no HC would openly hang their players out to dry without calling instability/media "crisis" rhetoric into question, which kills seasons more quickly than TT and porous line play. It would help if he added in more sincere "we will evaluate these positions" moving forward, but doubt anything comes of it this season. 

Tolbert may be around next year as a locker room guy, but many of these guys will be either let go or not starting here next season. I doubt McD see these guys as integral building blocks for the future. 

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Sure.

Unless your QB is Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers your not winning a game like that with the way the defense played yesterday. 20 straight runs or something to that effect. Are you kidding?

Drew Brees can definitely still win that type of game.  He'd done it many many times in his career.

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Lawd, Rico.....I'd like to see the All-22 footage or any coverage of those 3rd down plays to see what was called. Have to believe Rico is partially responsible for these 3rd Down checkdowns to Tolbert/O'Leary for 5-7 yds when we're 3rd & 15, as much as TT is. 

Also can't believe he calls Castillo to seek insight into our run game...

Just now, thenorthremembers said:

Its week 11, if you dont know what you do best by now you shouldn't be coaching in the NFL. 

Pretty bad for sure, but after the last two weeks they have to reassess because it has been stuffed at the LOS with very few exceptions.

I listened to McDermott’s remarks to the press immediately following the game yesterday... He was in shock... sounded timid... confused... unsure....

Today after a night’s sleep, he sounds more like the McDermott prior to yeterday’s humiliation... Confident, certain, and positive...

He attributes the failure to fundamentals and technique... not effort.... He never mentioned poor game plan... poor preparation... poor coaching... Think he is in denial...

• Thank you (+1) 1

I am willing to give McD a pass for this season as this is what he inherited.  After this year with a new GM, new scouts and a year under his belt I will expect better is year 2.  McD and Beane seem to have a good head for this and come well credentialed.  We have been teased with playoffs and that is what drives a lot of the frustration as we have fallen for that before (Yes we Chan).  So long as McD doesn't pull the crap Rex did I will give him three to five years to change the team and the culture and get the Bills back to playoff football.  The Chargers game is going to be a Waterloo situation; lose and you're at 5-5 and probably have missed the exit for the playoffs.  If he wants to win now, he will probably start TT and give him a quarter+.  If the offense sputters again I think he will have to pull TT for a series or two just to see what the kid can do.  If Peterman falters, you haven't destroyed him and can pull him back out and use it as a growth experience; and maybe light a fire under Tyrod.  If he did well, then you play the hot hand.  All easy decisions from the armchair.

1 minute ago, ctk232 said:

Lawd, Rico.....I'd like to see the All-22 footage or any coverage of those 3rd down plays to see what was called. Have to believe Rico is partially responsible for these 3rd Down checkdowns to Tolbert/O'Leary for 5-7 yds when we're 3rd & 15, as much as TT is. 

Also can't believe he calls Castillo to seek insight into our run game...

Isn't he the run game coordinator?

1 minute ago, DCBongo said:

I am willing to give McD a pass for this season as this is what he inherited.  After this year with a new GM, new scouts and a year under his belt I will expect better is year 2.  McD and Beane seem to have a good head for this and come well credentialed.  We have been teased with playoffs and that is what drives a lot of the frustration as we have fallen for that before (Yes we Chan).  So long as McD doesn't pull the crap Rex did I will give him three to five years to change the team and the culture and get the Bills back to playoff football.  The Chargers game is going to be a Waterloo situation; lose and you're at 5-5 and probably have missed the exit for the playoffs.  If he wants to win now, he will probably start TT and give him a quarter+.  If the offense sputters again I think he will have to pull TT for a series or two just to see what the kid can do.  If Peterman falters, you haven't destroyed him and can pull him back out and use it as a growth experience; and maybe light a fire under Tyrod.  If he did well, then you play the hot hand.  All easy decisions from the armchair.

No it isn't. He made decisions on who to keep, who to jettison, and who to acquire.  

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

No it isn't. He made decisions on who to keep, who to jettison, and who to acquire.  

True, but there are limits to that in your first year.  Consider the team Marv started with wasn't the same one on the field in 1990. 

If Dennison wants to know what we do best watch some tape from last year but shouldn't he have done that already?  If he was interested in scoring points he would have taken last years run game and added some route variation to the passing game and called it a day.  As it is he's single handedly stopped our running game which effectively cripples everything else because our offense fed off the running game.

Murphy or Brown made the comment this afternoon that the vets would not be happy switching from Taylor to Peterman, but is that really true. If the vets believe Peterman would give them the best opportunity to win, wouldn't they be ready to move on, loyalty to Taylor be damned?

The quote about the baseball pitcher was the most concerning thing about this presser....it made me believe that McDermott still thinks Taylor will develop into a franchise quarterback. Someone should tell him that Taylor has been in the league for seven years and it is just not going to happen. Also, don't get the love for Tolbert.

1 minute ago, jkirchofer said:

The quote about the baseball pitcher was the most concerning thing about this presser....it made me believe that McDermott still thinks Taylor will develop into a franchise quarterback. Someone should tell him that Taylor has been in the league for seven years and it is just not going to happen. Also, don't get the love for Tolbert.

McD, Dennison and Beane are there own worst enemies right now.

Peterman stuff was at the end of a finished game.  It meant nothing so stop singing praises.  Our line play on both sides was terrible.  TT had little to do with this defeat.  NO had our number.  admit it and move on.  Amazing how fast some get off the wagon.

Edited by Direhard Fan

26 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Isn't he the run game coordinator?

Not only is that, in and of itself, an issue, but as the Offensive Coordinator, you should understand by this point in the season what is effective in your run game and what isn't. Considering it's half of all offensive football, and specifically what this team's offense has been predicated on for the past couple years. 

This is different than a simple, "hey Juan, let's get together and discuss the run game" in so many words. 

Just now, Direhard Fan said:

Peterman stuff was at the end of a finished game.  It meant nothing so stop singing praises.  Our line play on both sides was terrible.  TT had little to so with this defeat.  NO had our number.  admit it and move on.  Amazing how fast some get off the wagon.

That is an unfair statement. The only reason any of us are still here posting on this forum is because we can't find our way off the wagon.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Direhard Fan said:

Peterman stuff was at the end of a finished game.  It meant nothing so stop singing praises.  Our line play on both sides was terrible.  TT had little to do with this defeat.  NO had our number.  admit it and move on.  Amazing how fast some get off the wagon.

Just because our defense was terrible doesn't mean Taylor wasn't.  He was as bad as the defense yesterday.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, ctk232 said:

Not only is that, in and of itself, an issue, but as the Offensive Coordinator, you should understand by this point in the season what is effective in your run game and what isn't. Considering it's half of all offensive football, and specifically what this team's offense has been predicated on for the past couple years. 

This is different than a simple, "hey Juan, let's get together and discuss the run game" in so many words. 

I can see the conversation 

"Dennison How do we fix run game? "

'

"Juan  Play Vlad till he pukes. If we had a whole team of Vlad for O-Line we have a Super Bowl team"

"Dennison Great idea that is how we do it! Gotta run Tolbert more and make him a WR by giving him 20 more targets a game"

Juan " They will never expect that"

Edited by Buffalo Bills Fan
  • Haha (+1) 3

35 minutes ago, DCBongo said:

I very much agree with your armchair assessment, esp. on the QB situation.  

15 minutes ago, Roch-A-Bill said:

Murphy or Brown made the comment this afternoon that the vets would not be happy switching from Taylor to Peterman, but is that really true. If the vets believe Peterman would give them the best opportunity to win, wouldn't they be ready to move on, loyalty to Taylor be damned?

I think the receivers would be happy with the switch.  If the backup gives you a better chance to win, you play the new guy/backup.  I'm not saying Peterman does, I'm saying that any vet that believes TT should play because they are "friends," or because TT "paid his dues" has issues.  

11 minutes ago, jkirchofer said:

I don't think McD believes that about Tyrod.  I think he believes that in order to win this season and not have total anarchy in the locker room, you don't switch now.  I also think that Tolbert must have damning "process" photos on McD.  That has to be the only reason why this man is on the field, getting option tosses.

36 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

It’s scary that Dennison is still figuring this out.

Yes, it is.

I'm not concerned about McDermott, he's not going to bad mouth his players to the press, that would be dumb.

Dennison on the other hand is scaring me. Calling plays that require passes to Tolbert, is greatly disturbing.

SEAN MCDERMOTT: "GETTING BACK TO WORK" (17:37)

Head Coach Sean McDermott addressed the media Monday topics include; improving the run defense, correcting mistakes, and an injury update.

QUICK HITS: TYROD STILL THE STARTER

tyrod-taylor-11-13.jpg

Head coach Sean McDermott is supporting his starting QB, urging a big picture perspective and re-committing his staff to teaching fundamentals.