49ers could be our trading partner

Niagara Dude

At the end of day yes the Bills have many holes to fill,  but you need to first fix the biggest problem we have moving forward and that is QB. The 49ers who traded for Garoppolo should end up with a top 3 pick and could be our trading partner so we can grab one of the top QB'S available.  How many times has this franchise been distracted with filling other holes and have avoided going all in to get a franchise QB.  TT is not the answer and we need to move on,  just look at free agent WR'S who avoided signing here because they know he is useless.  Time to go all in and get the best one available and i am ok with (2) # 1 draft picks and a second plus another second the following year if required,  use other picks and free agency to fill out front seven and other positions and go from there. A franchise QB is the foundation of any winning team and we have not had one in a long time.

Edited by Niagara Dude
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Are the QBs this year worth a massive trade? Mayfield is really growing on me (and Falk had another great day) but is he worth the cost to trade with SF?

I don't think there is any reason to believe this is a particularly weak QB class. The wait 'till next year thing is not going to get it done. We need to trade up and get our guy. We've waited 20 years to get a middle of the road guy in Taylor, who is never going to  get us over the hump. The team needs to go all-in on finding their guy. Attempting to win with a run-first offense has gotten us nowhere. 

3 minutes ago, ALF said:

McD passing on Mahomes and Watson scared me . I hope he has a better QB to target or Peterman is the lottery ticket . 

I hate the price of trading up unless you see another Goff or Wentz , that I can't judge.

I mean - he's not a scout and we didn't have our real GM at that point.  So I'm fine with taking a safer approach to the draft and getting scheme and leadership fits in year 1.  

Year 2?  We need to bring in a QB.  

15 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I mean - he's not a scout and we didn't have our real GM at that point.  So I'm fine with taking a safer approach to the draft and getting scheme and leadership fits in year 1.  

Year 2?  We need to bring in a QB.  

We had Whaley whom wanted to draft Watson.

Let see what Beane has in store though. All I can hope on now is that NP turns into QB gold.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/4/8/15225118/buffalo-bills-doug-whaley-possibly-in-love-with-deshaun-watson-nfl-draft-2017

1 hour ago, ALF said:

McD passing on Mahomes and Watson scared me . I hope he has a better QB to target or Peterman is the lottery ticket . 

I hate the price of trading up unless you see another Goff or Wentz , that I can't judge.

Mahomes is a backup qb that hasn't proven anything.

11 other teams also passed on Watson.

Before we can think of trading up we need to get out of the twenties for both of our picks.  Hard to tell at this point, but if the season ended today I imagine we would have picks 21 and 25, the highest we could get with those two picks is #6 overall and in that scenario you're probably gunning for the third rated QB, I imagine this is Rosen or Mayfield.

I understand the trust the process stuff, but this is what happens when you try and win now and later, you cant serve two masters.  

1 hour ago, ALF said:

Mahomes hasn't done anything so...as for Watson, I think they felt it would've been redundant getting him.  His play was similar to Tyrod's.  Shorter QB with at the time accuracy issues and scrambled a lot.  That probably raised red flags to them.  It potentially ended up being a mistake.  However, look at all of the running QBs that have come out of the draft lately.  A lot of them seem to be getting hurt frequently in the early part of their career.  Maybe they wanted a pocket passer instead.  

1 hour ago, ALF said:

You know what really surprised me?

KC trading(reaching) up for a QB when they really needed LB or Edge rusher help.

They have a serviceable QB and could have waited another year.

Thanks KC for the freebie :)

1 hour ago, May Day 10 said:

Im actually terrified of Rosen.

same here.  Everyone hates him on his own team.  Not a good thing for the NFL.  

1 hour ago, racecitybills said:

Mason Rudolph. Period.

yep.  If we don't get him, draft DL, DL, LB, OL, secondary, and RB (no more Tolbert.  Guy is a FB).  

Way too early to construct draft scenarios, there are just a million things that will happen before then and now.   Here are some certainties though:

1.   We need to get some more data on Peterman as a starter.   Colts game as home favorites is probably the best place to start.   If the kids prepares all week with the 1's and shows promise then we likely aren't trading up for anyone, maybe we trade down.   

2.  We appear to have major needs in the trenches on both sides of the ball.   I expect this will only get worse as guys like Kyle and Lorax decline or retire.  Washington and Lawson are two good young run stoppers and they got tossed around yesterday.   Maybe the Saints O-line is that good, but maybe our guys are just below average.  Either way, you can hear McD's emphasis on winning in the trenches and see him influencing Beane to draft some big bodies.

3.  Dennison may have been the wrong choice for us.   The new trend is to run the same offense your qb did in college, not force some "pro style" on them.   Look what KC did for Alex Smith this year, or Philly did with Wentz:  design your offense around what your qb did in college to get them Heisman consideration.  With this in mind, the draft might play out very differently with a new OC, the type of players we want etc.

Just now, dave mcbride said:

Talk about exaggeration! Link? 

for Rosen.  Sure: http://www.walterfootball.com/nflhotpress/article/Scout Evaluates 2018 Quarterback Class; Down on Josh Rosen

To be fair, when individual teammates are interviewed they say they like him, and he wins, and I don't care about the other "off-field" antics: hottub in dorm, etc.  Who cares.  But this is concerning.  

That said, if the reports are false, he could fall to use and we could have the next A Rodgers!

7 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

for Rosen.  Sure: http://www.walterfootball.com/nflhotpress/article/Scout Evaluates 2018 Quarterback Class; Down on Josh Rosen

To be fair, when individual teammates are interviewed they say they like him, and he wins, and I don't care about the other "off-field" antics: hottub in dorm, etc.  Who cares.  But this is concerning.  

That said, if the reports are false, he could fall to use and we could have the next A Rodgers!

I'm pretty skeptical of Walter Football, and I can find any number of articles from more reputable sources saying differently: http://www.ocregister.com/2017/08/28/ucla-qb-josh-rosen-is-chosen-for-a-good-reason-5/ .

Is he arrogant? Probably. Is that disqualifying? No. Like you, I think he has Rodgers potential. We shall see!

Edited by dave mcbride

Just now, dave mcbride said:

You're really citing Walter Football? I can find any number of articles from more reputable sources saying differently: http://www.ocregister.com/2017/08/28/ucla-qb-josh-rosen-is-chosen-for-a-good-reason-5/ .

Is he arrogant? Probably. Is that disqualifying? No.

again, when a player/teammate is NAMED, they will not publicly bash the QB.  But plenty of GM's have concerns.  His coach has said he has to choose between being "Manning" or "Manzel."  So I'm not pro-Rosen at this point, but that could change.  I wouldn't move for him.  

4 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

again, when a player/teammate is NAMED, they will not publicly bash the QB.  But plenty of GM's have concerns.  His coach has said he has to choose between being "Manning" or "Manzel."  So I'm not pro-Rosen at this point, but that could change.  I wouldn't move for him.  

I think his issue is arrogance rather than partying. He's from a very well-educated family and I think he brings a noticeable degree of arrogance with him. Manziel seems like the wrong negative comparison. I'd say the better comparison is Jay Cutler/Aaron Rodgers.

UCLA is a 2-9 team with a regular qb, and they'll get to .500 with him. 

PS - with regard to Rosen, something tells me that he's not a McDermott/Beane type of guy. If that's true, I think that's a shame because he is very good and you have to be able to put up with some difficult players if you're going to maximize talent on the team.

Edited by dave mcbride

I think trading up in this draft for a QB is a stupid idea.  To this point nobody can agree for more than a couple weeks who the best QB is, and it's not just a couple QBs in the conversation.  Within the past month I have seen Sam Darnold, Baker Mayfield, Josh Rosen, and Mason Rudolph all projected as the first QB taken.  I honestly don't think that is going to change leading up to the draft.  I'm not opposed to taking a QB in the first round, but in this draft, I don't think the odds of getting your franchise guy is any better at #1 over all than they are at #20 overall, and if the last two games are any indicator, it looks like Buffalo could be drafting higher than that.

Just now, TigerJ said:

I think trading up in this draft for a QB is a stupid idea.  To this point nobody can agree for more than a couple weeks who the best QB is, and it's not just a couple QBs in the conversation.  Within the past month I have seen Sam Darnold, Baker Mayfield, Josh Rosen, and Mason Rudolph all projected as the first QB taken.  I honestly don't think that is going to change leading up to the draft.  I'm not opposed to taking a QB in the first round, but in this draft, I don't think the odds of getting your franchise guy is any better at #1 over all than they are at #20 overall, and if the last two games are any indicator, it looks like Buffalo could be drafting higher than that.

Tell that to Philly and LA. 

11 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I think his issue is arrogance rather than partying. He's from a very well-educated family and I think he brings a noticeable degree of arrogance with him. Manziel seems like the wrong negative comparison. I'd say the better comparison is Jay Cutler/Aaron Rodgers.

UCLA is a 2-9 team with a regular qb, and they'll get to .500 with him. 

PS - with regard to Rosen, something tells me that he's not a McDermott/Beane type of guy. If that's true, I think that's a shame because he is very good and you have to be able to put up with some difficult players if you're going to maximize talent on the team.

My issue is, he seems to have a lot of opinions, ideas, and goals outside football.  I want a QB who wants to be the best and is willing to dedicate the majority of his life over the next 15 years or so to focus on being the best quarterback.  Mentally and physically.   

Dont repeat the mistakes of Whaley. The only direction they should trade is down. Benjamin fills a hole and who knows what they will do in FA. But they could draft 5 OL/DL and still not fill all the holes on the lines. Milano and,Humber hopefully are the OLBs of the future. P. Brown needs to go.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I'm pretty skeptical of Walter Football, and I can find any number of articles from more reputable sources saying differently: http://www.ocregister.com/2017/08/28/ucla-qb-josh-rosen-is-chosen-for-a-good-reason-5/ .

Is he arrogant? Probably. Is that disqualifying? No. Like you, I think he has Rodgers potential. We shall see!

They had a personal vendetta against Travis Kelce in his draft year.

Looks like a real good TE to me and a great person.

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

I understand the trust the process stuff, but this is what happens when you try and win now and later, you cant serve two masters.  

THIS. They blew a golden opportunity to pull off an ubertank this year. And now, having won 5 games, they're in no-mans-land and !@#$ed for the long term.

52 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

Mahomes hasn't done anything so...as for Watson, I think they felt it would've been redundant getting him.  His play was similar to Tyrod's.  Shorter QB with at the time accuracy issues and scrambled a lot.  That probably raised red flags to them.  It potentially ended up being a mistake.  However, look at all of the running QBs that have come out of the draft lately.  A lot of them seem to be getting hurt frequently in the early part of their career.  Maybe they wanted a pocket passer instead.  

No, they needed a CB because they let Gilmore walk, and intended to use their first pick on a DB.  CBs are just about the Bills' favorite first round position to pick, along with WRs and RBs.   QBs, not so much.

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

The nightmare is happening. We aren’t going to have enough ammo to move up in the draft. 

I said it in the preseason: they needed to trade Tyrod and Shady and make SURE they ended up #1 in the draft. But no. Had to try and win this year.

Failure.

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

The nightmare is happening. We aren’t going to have enough ammo to move up in the draft. 

Ha! It's classic Bills luck for their extra first rounder to be KC's pick, their extra second rounder to be LA's pick, and their third rounder to be Philly's pick. They traded their own 3rd rounder for Benjamin. 

5 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Odd, as I thought the Bills have 2 first round picks... I'm quite certain that would suffice for a trade-up, not to mention the 2 second round picks.