What is your favorite Buffalo Bills memory?

The goalposts coming down in '88 against the Jets.  You just knew it was the start of something special.

Second favorite was the '02 Miami snow game.  It was my wife's (gf at the time) first Bills game.  She was a born and raised San Diegan and had never even spent time in the snow.  It was the quintessential Buffalo Bills experience (tailgate, booze, snow, comeback against divisional rival, Kelly whooping it up on the sideline, etc.) and she absolutely loved it!

Edited by TheBrownBear

Nate Odomes, 1990 against the Raiders.  Raiders receiver catches the ball, cradles it...and Odomes just plucks it out of his arms and runs it in for the touchdown.

That, and Bruce Smith against Indianapolis, when he came around the end for something like is 19-thousandth sack of the day, and Jeff George's eyes went as wide as dinner plates as he very clearly said "Oh, ****!" just before getting road-killed.

My first game at the Rockpile in '67

First Monday night game against the Chiefs at Rich stadium 

Beating the Dolphins to end the streak

Taking my Dad to see two Super Bowls

A fantastic week in London (met Jim Kelly at Buckingham Palace)

Just to name a few!

1 hour ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Too many !!!!! But one I haven’t shared was the ‘91 Steelers game when Kelly threw 4 first half picks. 

My buddy Joe and I had season tickets in the tunnel EZ. Two Steelers fans were in front of us just being Jackwagons. Taunting us with” How many picks was that ?  Two picks!!!”  Etc

Then Kelly started throwing TDs. 6 total.

They left in the early fourth as we kept taunting them, “ How many TDs was that? 3 TDs.” Etc

Kelly threw 2 picks that day not 4, I remember I was at that game. 

58 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

aside from this hit...the comeback game by a mile

clements-hits-brady-o.gif

Jesus can you imagine if some player did that now to Brady, he would be banned from the league for life.

Come back game....the roller coaster ride of emotions was incredible. I remember yelling so loud when the last TD was scored and again when Christie hit the game winner, I was upstairs in the den watching on tv, and the cat was downstairs, he jumped so far and high he was hanging on the curtains. 

15 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

Come back game....the roller coaster ride of emotions was incredible. I remember yelling so loud when the last TD was scored and again when Christie hit the game winner, I was upstairs in the den watching on tv, and the cat was downstairs, he jumped so far and high he was hanging on the curtains. 

it wasn't on TV for this fan in the Buffalo blackout zone....

27 minutes ago, Gordio said:

Kelly threw 2 picks that day not 4, I remember I was at that game. 

Jesus can you imagine if some player did that now to Brady, he would be banned from the league for life.

You are correct.   They say the mind is the first thing to go....

56 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

The first Biscuit game was an amazing moment. The Rosie Leaks game, Ahmad Rashad game and Roland Hooks game were tremendous fun and euphoric feelings.

Ah, yes, the Roland Hooks game in 1981...and the catch before the Hail Mary was more spectacular than the TD.  I remember looking down a tunnel in the upper deck and seeing guys piling out of the bathroom to see what the hell happened...many with their pants still down around their knees!

4 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

Ah, yes, the Roland Hooks game in 1981...and the catch before the Hail Mary was more spectacular than the TD.  I remember looking down a tunnel in the upper deck and seeing guys piling out of the bathroom to see what the hell happened...many with their pants still down around their knees!

Yeah, the catch before the TD was ridiculous. Hard to remember a guy making two spectacular plays in a row like that to win a game. 

12 minutes ago, row_33 said:

it wasn't on TV for this fan in the Buffalo blackout zone....

My Dad was able to watch it because his Uncle had satellite TV at the time and back then you could get the Bills even if they were blacked out.

It's so weird to talk about the blackout days kids these days have zero clue that some years you only saw 12-13 games tops.

2 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

depending on how you look at this ...

It may just be memorable.  

Playoff game at the Ralph, Joe Montana lying on the frozen turf staring off into space after being sacked by Bruce Smith and the last play of his career.  

My buddy stole a Burke or Chase ( can’t remember which) security guys hat off his head as they were keeping the fans from rushing the field afterwards.

It was a rainy, warm January day.

The more I think about this, the more it takes me to when I got hooked. It was the mid 60’s and the neighborhood rented a school bus that drove us to a neighborhood I’d never seen, full of other school buses, cars parking in yards and thousands of people. I remember thinking “do NOT lose my parents”,  and walking up to the main gate at the rockpile. At that moment I was hooked. I have no idea who we played, and I don’t remember if there was alcohol on the bus (but I can guess!), but I was instantly hooked. 

I took both my boys to Buffalo for a home game when they turned 16 as a rite of passage. Best move ever  as I hear from them almost daily (year round) about the Bills. Some might argue that was bad parenting, but they’re tough. They will be fine until we turn the corner.  :)

Edited by Augie

Another great Bills memory is a collective one, but from the opening kickoff of the 51-3 Championship Game until the Last play of the Super Bowl game was a tremendous week. We went down to Tampa on Wednesday. There were so many Bills fans there. The partying in the days before was insane. I brought a VHS tape of the 51-3 game to Nickel City Bar and they played it on a loop for three straight days. That whole time was awesome (although the city of Minneapolis did a better job than the city of Tampa Bay and me and my friends had more fun in Minny.)

5 minutes ago, Augie said:

The more I think about this, the more it takes me to when I got hooked. It was the mid 60’s and the neighborhood rented a school bus that drove us to a neighborhood I’d never seen, full of other school buses, cars parking in yards and thousands of people. I remember thinking “do NOT lose my parents”,  and walking up to the main gate at the rockpile. At that moment I was hooked. I have no idea who we played, and I don’t remember if there was alcohol on the bus (but I can guess!), but I was instantly hooked. 

I took both my boys to Buffalo for a home game when they turned 16 as a rite of passage. Best move ever  as I hear from them almost daily (year round) about the Bills. Some might argue that was bad parenting, but they’re tough. They will be fine until we turn the corner.  :)

Ahh the Rockpile days, Augie. They were the best. We must not forget.

21 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

My Dad and I left and heard the roar of the crowd from the lot. It was his birthday. Will always remember that day.

8 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Another great Bills memory is a collective one, but from the opening kickoff of the 51-3 Championship Game until the Last play of the Super Bowl game was a tremendous week. We went down to Tampa on Wednesday. There were so many Bills fans there. The partying in the days before was insane. I brought a VHS tape of the 51-3 game to Nickel City Bar and they played it on a loop for three straight days. That whole time was awesome (although the city of Minneapolis did a better job than the city of Tampa Bay and me and my friends had more fun in Minny.)

While I didn’t LOVE single digit temps for a SB, we had a blast in Minny. At the hotel we accidentally got on the wrong bus - it was full of a bunch of guys from Germany. Some spoke english, and it quickly became apparent they had little respect for a weak Budweiser or twenty. They all had backpacks full of beer on the ride to the stadium and it was flowing and they were generous. We should invite them to Hammers!  

Edited by Augie

Just now, Augie said:

While I didn’t LOVE single digit temps for a SB, we had a blast in Minny. At the hotel we accidentally got on the wrong bus - it was full of a bunch of guys from Germany. Some spoke english, and it quickly became apparent the had little respect for a weak Budweiser or twenty. They all had backpacks full of beer on the ride to the stadium and it was flowing and they were generous. We should invite them to Hammers!  

Minneapolis was amazing. I went to seven Super Bowls total and that city was the best by far. It was freezing, yes, but so much fun. We stayed in the Marriot that was across from seven corners by University of Minnesota. The owner of the bar, Bullwinkles, which was a college bar, wrote a letter to the Buffalo News saying how great the Bills fans were and they never had better customers. That place was nuts. 

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Minneapolis was amazing. I went to seven Super Bowls total and that city was the best by far. It was freezing, yes, but so much fun. We stayed in the Marriot that was across from seven corners by University of Minnesota. The owner of the bar, Bullwinkles, which was a college bar, wrote a letter to the Buffalo News saying how great the Bills fans were and they never had better customers. That place was nuts. 

THAT, is very cool. That was my only SB, but I’ve been to Minny 3 times. GREAT city! They celebrate summer like crazy! Walking, jogging, biking, flowers everywhere! We went into a restaurant on a Thursday night and had a long wait. Great place, worth the wait. The next night, FRIDAY NIGHT, we walk past and it’s empty! “Where is everybody?”, I ask. They tell me it’s Friday. HUH? Isn’t that a big night? No they tell me, everyone takes a 3-4 day weekends all summer to go to their lake houses. Then you just work all winter. (At least you never have to go outside downtown with all the enclosed skywalks.) 

Random memory:

Does anyone remember during the Knox/ Ferguson years; a fan threw a roll of TP on the field. 

A thirty foot strand of it got on the whole D line, then when they got out of it the O line got into it, just blowing down the field.

They had to stop the clock

Edited by Buffalo Boy

Things I've personally been involved in:

• First game in November 1970 at the Rockpile
  • Being on the Buffalo News "picture page" in my Bills uniform 1970
  • Being at the first game at Rich Stadium
  • Waiting in line for hours to meet OJ at a Radio Shack in 1973
  • Come-back win over the Raiders on MNF - 1974
  • Jim Kelly's first game in 1986
  • First away game - Bills/Browns Playoff game 1990 (birth of the K-Gun)
  • Win over Miami to clinch division 1990
  • Playoff win over Miami 1990
  • 51-3
  • Super Bowl XXV 
    • National Anthem still gives me goosebumps
    • That final drive, the anticipation of the last kick
  • Walking into our hotel lobby the night before SB XXVI to find the team checking in - ours was the 'secret hotel'
  • The Comeback
  • Celebrating signings of Chris Spielman & Takeo Spikes
  • Being at the "snow game" vs Miami with my 6 year old son and having him refuse to leave early
  • 18 years of TBDAHOTs
  • HOF Inductions - JK, Thurman, Bruce & Ralph, Andre
  • Memorable road trips (New Orleans being tops)
Edited by JÂy RÛßeÒ

I was at The Comeback game in Jan. 1993 with my dad and a stripper (I used to DJ at Club Diamond Dust and she was a Jeff Wright fan) and should pick this one as my favorite, but I'm going to pick the Miami game, week 16 in 1990 (https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199012230buf.htm).  Frank Reich was the starter, we won the AFC East after that game, and the crowd rushed the field and started tearing down the goal posts on the tunnel end, which is where I was seated.  I'll never forget seeing one of the uprights make its way to the top of the visitor's side upper deck by the time I made it out to the parking lot.  Pure insanity!  

5 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

I was at The Comeback game in Jan. 1993 with my dad and a stripper (I used to DJ at Club Diamond Dust and she was a Jeff Wright fan) and should pick this one as my favorite, but I'm going to pick the Miami game, week 16 in 1990 (https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199012230buf.htm).  Frank Reich was the starter, we won the AFC East after that game, and the crowd rushed the field and started tearing down the goal posts on the tunnel end, which is where I was seated.  I'll never forget seeing one of the uprights make its way to the top of the visitor's side upper deck by the time I made it out to the parking lot.  Pure insanity!  

Going to hit the link, but then I realized it wasn’t to the stripper, so.... ;)

4 hours ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

• First game in November 1970 at the Rockpile
  • Being on the Buffalo News "picture page" in my Bills uniform 1970
  • Being at the first game at Rich Stadium
  • Come-back win over the Raiders on MNF - 1974
  • Jim Kelly's first game in 1986
  • First away game - Bills/Browns Playoff game 1990 (birth of the K-Gun)
  • Win over Miami to clinch division 1990
  • Playoff win over Miami 1990
  • 51-3
  • Super Bowl XXV 
    • National Anthem still gives me goosebumps
    • That final drive, the anticipation of the last kick
  • Walking into our hotel lobby the night before SB XXVI to find the team checking in - ours was the 'secret hotel'
  • The Comeback
  • Celebrating signings of Chris Spielman & Takeo Spikes
  • Being at the "snow game" vs Miami with my 6 year old son and having him refuse to leave early
  • 18 years of TBDAHOTs
  • HOF Inductions - JK, Thurman, Bruce & Ralph, Andre
  • Memorable road trips (New Orleans being tops)

Dude....I think you may actually be....me! 

5 hours ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

Unless I missed another post, I think this is the first OJ reference. 

From a selfish Bills fan perspective it sucks that his accomplishments as a Bill can no longer be enjoyed. 

Fitz-scream and the Comeback heard round the world is up there for me.  The week before that featured another huge second half comeback against the Raiders.  Its a bit sad that the Super Bowl years were so long ago that the warm fuzzy Bills memories in my adult brain are comebacks in another 7-9 season.

23 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Unless I missed another post, I think this is the first OJ reference. 

From a selfish Bills fan perspective it sucks that his accomplishments as a Bill can no longer be enjoyed. 

OJ was mentioned at least once previously, but I’ll agree it’s strange that wasn’t more of a lead story. 

1 minute ago, Augie said:

OJ was mentioned at least once previously, but I’ll agree it’s strange that wasn’t more of a lead story. 

I'll bet some people have great memories of the 2003 yard season. I followed it through the newspapers.

Anyway, just sad that an all-time great is (and should be) an after-thought.

Just now, SinceThe70s said:

I'll bet some people have great memories of the 2003 yard season. I followed it through the newspapers.

Anyway, just sad that an all-time great is (and should be) an after-thought.

I lived around the corner from him as a high school kid. It was weird when we’d go by his house and yell stupid stuff to the guys in his front yard hours after a game. 

9 hours ago, Augie said:

As a gimmick they ran OJ until he had to use a golf cart to get around, Earl got the same treatment.

OJ's best moment. for me, was his reflection on his greatest game (to him) for 200 against the Bradshaw Steelers. He said every man on D was exactly textbook where he should have been and that he was able to leap above that thinking and go against where they should be. I have never heard a team complimented like that nor another RB able to tell us he took the game to that level of thought.

35 minutes ago, Gugny said:

The day Doug Flutie left.

There isn't even a close second, for me.

I liked Flutie's incredible twisted negative outlook, which he brings to his broadcasts...

I was aghast at fans who WORSHIPED!!!! this guy though.... he touched some sad-sack unfair resentment that they held in their heart.

Athletes aren't meant to make you feel better about failures and emotional boo-boos when you are 40....

Really enjoyed watching he Jim Kelly Era Bills teams.  It was before I moved to Buffalo and started rooting for the Bills, but it was so much fun to watch them.

While watching the comeback over the Oilers in a Cleveland Flats bar my uncle got into an argument about Moon with a guy there.  My uncle kept calling him the biggest choke artist in the game and the other guy kept circling back to it being a racial thing.  He was black and my uncle white). That escalated during the first half and at halftime my uncle bet the guy $20 that Moon would choke the game away and that Houston would lose.  That guy kept getting more and more angry as the game slipped away.  He stormed out right after the Bills took the lead.  I almost felt bad for him.  Luckily the bartender kept the bet money for us.  He was laughing his ass off. 

After those it’d have to be Rex getting canned.