Someone make the case against Dontrelle Inman for a 7th!

Lv-Bills

So, the Wide Receiver starved Bears got Dontrelle Inman for a 7th round pick today. He's 28 years old. He caught 53 passes for 850 plus yards last year after Keenan Allen got hurt. He was on the bench this year.

We are in the hunt for the playoffs. Our receivers are mind boggling horrible. So, tell me. Make a case against why we wouldn't want a guy like Inman (minus a 7th round pick) over say......Andre "YMCA League" Holmes?

By the way....I get our plan. I love our high picks. I'm on board. I like our direction. We just have a chance.....now.....as well as in the future.

But we are talking a 7th rounder. For a guy that is practically Jerry Rice compared to Andre Holmes. Same Andre Holmes that sucked with David Carr and all other QB's he's played with.

This outta be good......

And remember, for a 7th........so seriously.......a 7th rounder next year. That's the last round in case you didn't know.

I'm just sayin'

And before all you "he needs to know the system" guys speak out......well, there was Deonte Thompson last weeked.....that didn't know the "system" but still lead us in receiving. And yeah, I know Thompson played for us before. For a completely different staff.

Just sayin'

Edited by Lv-Bills

So, the Wide Receiver starved Bears got Dontrelle Inman for a 7th round pick today. He's 28 years old. He caught 53 passes for 850 plus yards last year after Keenan Allen got hurt. He was on the bench this year.

We are in the hunt for the playoffs. Our receivers are mind boggling horrible. So, tell me. Make a case against why we wouldn't want a guy like Inman (minus a 7th round pick) over say......Andre "YMCA League" Holmes?

By the way....I get our plan. I love our high picks. I'm on board. I like our direction. We just have a chance.....now.....as well as in the future.

But we are talking a 7th rounder. For a guy that is practically Jerry Rice compared to Andre Holmes. Same Andre Holmes that sucked with David Carr and all other QB's he's played with.

This outta be good......

And remember, for a 7th........so seriously.......a 7th rounder next year. That's the last round in case you didn't know.

I'm just sayin'

And before all you "he needs to know the system" guys speak out......well, there was Deonte Thompson last weeked.....that didn't know the "system" but still lead us in receiving. And yeah, I know Thompson played for us before. For a completely different staff.

Just sayin'

We're in the AFC, and direct competition to them for a wildcard berth... Perhaps they didn't consider us an option to trade to.

They also play us in a few weeks.

Edited by dneveu

Trading for a WR who is about to be a FA and has no previous history working with the QB or familiarity with the offense really isnt ideal at this time if they want him to at all contribute this season. Its a waste of an asset, even with it only being a 7th rounder. If he was under contract for at least another year it would make more sense. WR is one of the harder positions to bring in cold mid-season.

I'm pretty sure we don't have a 6th or 7th in 2018, so that could he why. Not against it had we made the trade, but logistically it could have been a hang-up. Plus, we just got Matthews back and Thompson looked pretty good.

If this is true, this would be a good reason. I think we have a 7th though.

Trading for a WR who is about to be a FA and has no previous history working with the QB or familiarity with the offense really isnt ideal at this time if they want him to at all contribute this season. Its a waste of an asset, even with it only being a 7th rounder. If he was under contract for at least another year it would make more sense. WR is one of the harder positions to bring in cold mid-season.

You mean like Jordan Matthews? And really Thompson? I don't want to hear about Deonte Thompson being here two years ago. That doesn't count anymore. He showed up, and gained over 100 yards.

We're in the AFC, and direct competition to them for a wildcard berth... Perhaps they didn't consider us an option to trade to.

They also play us in a few weeks.

Not a bad thought. At least this makes sense. Edited by Lv-Bills

I'm pretty sure we don't have a 6th or 7th in 2018, so that could he why. Not against it had we made the trade, but logistically it could have been a hang-up. Plus, we just got Matthews back and Thompson looked pretty good.

Buffalo has a seventh, but not a sixth. I think they actually have two seventh round picks, but for sure they at least have one.

If this is true, this would be a good reason. I think we have a 7th though.

You mean like Jordan Matthews? And really Thompson? I don't want to hear about Deonte Thompson being here two years ago. That doesn't count anymore. He showed up, and gained over 100 yards.

Not a bad thought. At least this makes sense.

Jordan Matthews was not traded for mid-season

Jordan Matthews was not traded for mid-season

Right, but he got here late and is fine. Same with Thompson. Not buying the while system thing. Guy can either separate and catch or he can't. Football is not that complicated. Andre Holmes was here all camp and has 8 catches in 6 games. I'm pretty sure Inman can do that.

no case to make, I wish we would have done it. Inman is a good WR. We could use the help, but the Bills must have some hope for Streater and Thompson.

Also this scheme isn't to WR friendly. McCoy and our TE's will be the top targets all year, We're not going to get a better WR than Matthews,who is super underrated on here and if Jones and/or Thompson can show consistentcy, we're set. Also since Clay hasn't been placed on IR ,he should be back in 5-6 weeks..

Streater had the same kind of production a couple seasons ago in a similar role and he's free and knows the playbook. The Bills are building for the future they aren't giving up picks we don't have on rent a players with hopes that they maybe make the wild card this year.

And it's oughta as in ought to not outta like in get outta here with this nonsense.

Do you want to hear he played with Tyrod for 2-3 full years and one of them is in this same offense coached by the same OC?

it doesnt count because it doesnt fit his narrative

Also apparently Matthews coming in during Training camp mid-August is the same as bringing in a WR Week 7.

This outta be good......

I'm just sayin'

Just sayin'

I agree he would have been a solid add but think he's due to be an UFA after this season and not sure he'd be brought back so we might get more use of a 7th Rounder long term.

Buffalo has a seventh, but not a sixth. I think they actually have two seventh round picks, but for sure they at least have one.

No, the extra 7th we got from Carolina in the Clay/Seymour is in 2019.

Edited by The Jokeman

This outta be good......

I'm just sayin'

Just sayin'

The guy was 4th string on the Chargers. I don't see anything that would convince me that he's significantly or even marginally better than our own 4th stringer, Holmes. I think that you're itching to complain about something and Inman is just a guy that you've heard of.

If anything, we should have a thread to bury the Bears for making a dumb trade. They aren't good. The odds that Inman is on their roster at such a point in time when they are good is very low.

Right, but he got here late and is fine. Same with Thompson. Not buying the while system thing. Guy can either separate and catch or he can't. Football is not that complicated. Andre Holmes was here all camp and has 8 catches in 6 games. I'm pretty sure Inman can do that.

Well thats probably why you arent a coach or GM.

So youre expecting an immediate impact from Inman in Chicago? Like what do you picture a WR of his quality to do? Say over someone like Thompson?

Well thats probably why you arent a coach or GM.

So youre expecting an immediate impact from Inman in Chicago? Like what do you picture a WR of his quality to do? Say over someone like Thompson?

LOL. I love those "your not a GM" comments. Yes, I'm expecting immediate impact from Inman in Chicago over who they have currently on their roster because he's better than all of them. Period. That's why their GM traded for him. Immediate impact doesn't mean he'll catch 8 passes for 118 and 2 TD's this week. It means though, that a better WR will be on the field, almost certainly.

What do I picture a WR of this quality to do for us? Play football at a higher level than all of our guys other than Jordan Matthews. He's better. He's proven better. He's only 28 years old. He makes us better immediately. He'd be a one year rental for a 7th round pick. On our current team, that would help us.

And over Thompson.......yes! Over Thompson. Thompson had one good game, and for all we know, and judging by his past in the NFL, he got lucky. He got most of his yardage on a busted coverage. But, we sure can hope Thompson ends up being a gem, but most likely, he had a nice game, and it probably won't continue. He's already a bit of a journeyman, like our other guys. But more so for me, it would be over Holmes. Holmes gives us almost next to nothing on the field. At all.

Inman is a relatively young WR, that has history, and was acquired for a measely 7th round pick. Absolutely sign me up for that guy for the rest of this year. Again, he had 53 for over 850 last year. He's better than anyone but Matthews.

The guy was 4th string on the Chargers. I don't see anything that would convince me that he's significantly or even marginally better than our own 4th stringer, Holmes. I think that you're itching to complain about something and Inman is just a guy that you've heard of.

If anything, we should have a thread to bury the Bears for making a dumb trade. They aren't good. The odds that Inman is on their roster at such a point in time when they are good is very low.

Oh please. Our wide receivers sucked coming in to this year. We needed one, even if Watkins was around. And significantly or marginally better than Holmes? Are you serious? Holmes is awful. He was awful before he came here, and he's awful now. Inman actually had a decent year last year. Holmes has only caught more than 25 passes once in his 7 year career, and that was 47, 4 seasons ago. So yes, Inman is marginally better for sure. Can't even question that. And really, he's probably significantly better. So, that's that. Nice try to marginalize that though.

And bury the Bears? Really? Do you watch football? They have been maybe the only team in the NFL to have been mentioned to have a worse receiving corps than the Bills. That's actually saying something. So, it's hardly a dumb trade, when you have a rookie QB, who needs some NFL caliber WR's to throw to, and for a 7th rounder. It makes a ton of sense for the Bears. At least they have a decent WR, that has a recent track record of being able to put up any kind of positive numbers in the NFL. That should help Trubisky have a bit more confidence this year. They only threw 7 passes last game. Whether he's there after this year or not, means nothing. They gave up a 7th to help their rookie. Big deal. And they aren't out of the race yet, especially with Rogers out. Not likely, but it's not like they are 0-7.

Edited by Lv-Bills

LOL. I love those "your not a GM" comments. Yes, I'm expecting immediate impact from Inman in Chicago over who they have currently on their roster because he's better than all of them. Period. That's why their GM traded for him. Immediate impact doesn't mean he'll catch 8 passes for 118 and 2 TD's this week. It means though, that a better WR will be on the field, almost certainly.

What do I picture a WR of this quality to do for us? Play football at a higher level than all of our guys other than Jordan Matthews. He's better. He's proven better. He's only 28 years old. He makes us better immediately.

And over Thompson.......yes! Over Thompson. Thompson had one good game, and for all we know, and judging by his past in the NFL, he got lucky. He got most of his yardage on a busted coverage. But, we sure can hope Thompson ends up being a gem, but most likely, he had a nice game, and it probably won't continue. He's already a bit of a journeyman, like our other guys.

Inman is a relatively young WR, that has history, and was acquired for a measely 7th round pick. Absolutely sign me up for that guy for the rest of this year. Again, he had 53 for over 850 last year. He's better than anyone but Matthews.

Chicago's 7th would look better than ours. No way to know if Buffalo made an offer or not. Maybe LAC wouldn't trade him to us because we play them in 3 weeks. Its not like Inman is Randy Moss. LAC is not a juggernaut. Without their first rd pick WR he couldn't make it on the field.

The Bills receivers are terrible.

They could add the #4 WR from most teams around the NFL and he'd probably be the best receiver we have on the roster.

Pretty close. Matthews is solid, but he's certainly not a #1.

Chicago's 7th would look better than ours. No way to know if Buffalo made an offer or not. Maybe LAC wouldn't trade him to us because we play them in 3 weeks. Its not like Inman is Randy Moss. LAC is not a juggernaut. Without their first rd pick WR he couldn't make it on the field.

Agreed. But he could make it on ours.

Do you want to hear he played with Tyrod for 2-3 full years and one of them is in this same offense coached by the same OC?

So, he ran scout team stuff with Tyrod 4 years ago in Baltimore. Caught 38 NFL passes in the 3 and a half years since that time (meaning he probably really isn't that great), and has lifetime stats over 7 years that doesn't equal Inman's one year last year.

And I should be confident about that why? Inman is an instant upgrade over all of these guys. I don't care when he shows up.

Just hypothetical though. They may not even wanted to trade with us. I just hope we try to uncover guys like Inman is what I'm saying. For a 7th rounder, on a team with horrible WRs like the Bills (Or Bears in this case), seems like a slam dunk, no brainer.

And again, I'd take Inman at the expense of Holmes. Period. Tomorrow. Who thinks we'd really miss Holmes' 8 catches this year?

I agree with that. It shouldn't be too complicated for a WR to come in and learn/ catch basic slants, post patters and out routes

Pretty close. Matthews is solid, but he's certainly not a #1.

Agreed. But he could make it on ours.

Matthews is a terrible fit on this team because he runs the type of routes over the middle of the field that Taylor has never successfully targeted.

Taylor excels throwing the ball down the field, outside the hashes to speedy receivers, and that's what Matthews and Jones are worst at. Neither of them offers anything beyond 10 yards.

I said it last week and I'll say it again, Taylor and Martavis Bryant would be lethal. With Bryant and Thompson on the outside with sub 4.4 speed, and Matthews working out of the slot, our passing game could actually be pretty good and Shady would face a lot fewer 8 man fronts.

Edited by jrober38

Matthews is a terrible fit on this team because he runs the type of routes over the middle of the field that Taylor has never successfully targeted.

Taylor excels throwing the ball down the field, outside the hashes to speedy receivers, and that's what Matthews and Jones are worst at. Neither of them offers anything beyond 10 yards.

I said it last week and I'll say it again, Taylor and Martavis Bryant would be lethal. With Bryant and Thompson on the outside with sub 4.4 speed, and Matthews working out of the slot, our passing game could actually be pretty good and Shady would face a lot fewer 8 man fronts.

A real deep threat would be nice. Tyrod doesnt really risk much though, wont do a lot of jump ball kinda throws. At the end of the day if you wanna throw it down the field.....its not gonna be open most of the time and you have to be willing to risk the INT.

This offense works on open throws and the run game, very safe. Not a high risk offense. Is that good enough? yeah....will it be good enough come playoff time? Prolly not.

Oh please. Our wide receivers sucked coming in to this year. We needed one, even if Watkins was around. And significantly or marginally better than Holmes? Are you serious? Holmes is awful. He was awful before he came here, and he's awful now. Inman actually had a decent year last year. Holmes has only caught more than 25 passes once in his 7 year career, and that was 47, 4 seasons ago. So yes, Inman is marginally better for sure. Can't even question that. And really, he's probably significantly better. So, that's that. Nice try to marginalize that though.

And bury the Bears? Really? Do you watch football? They have been maybe the only team in the NFL to have been mentioned to have a worse receiving corps than the Bills. That's actually saying something. So, it's hardly a dumb trade, when you have a rookie QB, who needs some NFL caliber WR's to throw to, and for a 7th rounder. It makes a ton of sense for the Bears. At least they have a decent WR, that has a recent track record of being able to put up any kind of positive numbers in the NFL. That should help Trubisky have a bit more confidence this year. They only threw 7 passes last game. Whether he's there after this year or not, means nothing. They gave up a 7th to help their rookie. Big deal. And they aren't out of the race yet, especially with Rogers out. Not likely, but it's not like they are 0-7.

That's a lot of noise without anything backing it up. Holmes is fine. Inman's counting stats are worthless. He's a random guy that you've happened to have heard of. Move along.

You didn't address the point that Inman most likely won't be on Chicago's roster when they are actually trying to compete. Yes their WRs are bad now. Incrementally improving one aspect of a bad team in the middle of the year is just a misguided waste of resources.