Jameis humbled our D

CanadianFan

After reigning the NFL as the top scoring defense for a few weeks, Bills defense has come back to reality. We are now the 4th ranked scoring defense in the league. Mighty seahawks are leading that title once again.

We have one of the better run defenses, ranking 7th in the league at 84.5 yards given up per game.
We were all worried about this secondary before the season began. Its early bright start had us thinking they are way better than we thought. Look again: Bills secondary is 26th in the league at 258.7 yards given up per game. Only 5 teams are worse. And we have yet to face Brady. (Giants are one spot below us, but have the same yardage given up at 258.7. I assume the tie breaker was this:) The one consolation we have is that we have 2nd most INTs in the league with 9.
So yeah what we thought is still true. We will have trouble slowing down Brady.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After reigning the NFL as the top scoring defense for a few weeks, Bills defense has come back to reality. We are now the 4th ranked scoring defense in the league. Mighty seahawks are leading that title once again.

We have one of the better run defenses, ranking 7th in the league at 84.5 yards given up per game.
We were all worried about this secondary before the season began. Its early bright start had us thinking they are way better than we thought. Look again: Bills secondary is 26th in the league at 258.7 yards given up per game. Only 5 teams are worse. And we have yet to face Brady. (Giants are one spot below us, but have the same yardage given up at 258.7. I assume the tie breaker was this:) The one consolation we have is that we have 2nd most INTs in the league with 9.

and by contrast we have one of the best defenses against the run and allowing points. Also creating turnovers as you mention is also a point of strength. Yet let's also not forget that Gaines has been in and out of the lineup at various times this season and it seems we're better with him in there than without. Stopping New England won't be easy and even if we don't we're also competing with the Dolphins and a few other teams for a Wild Card spot too.

It is not the Bills secondary that is struggling. They got killed by a tight end this week. The linebackers, Milano apart, cannot cover.

Alexander has always been fecal matter in coverage. Brown has been our best and below average for the league for some time. Milano is learning so I'll be nice.

We need to find a way to play nickel more without Alexander on 3rd down because he is struggling.

I don't know that I agree with the OP sentiments. For one, Gaines has been in and out with injuries and the turnovers have been consistent through the first 6 games, which is an important part of Defense so to dismiss it or slight it by saying it's a "consolation" to me is misleading. Second, Offenses are seeing they can't run very well on this Defense so they are passing more, which unless it's a total shutdown will lead to more yards. The OJ Howard TD was a TOTAL miff on the Defense and they admitted as much. Evans made a fantastic catch after a really high quality throw by Jameis, and yes the D should shut that down, but we can't expect perfection.

That said, not fielding more than 4 corners in a game is a concern, and hopefully McD sees this and dresses 5....and, the Defense does need to stand up again against the pass, but saying they're not good or "as bad as we thought they were", really isn't accurate either. I think given the game plan, which I believe in the last few weeks has been to bend and not break, to try and avoid the big play, ala AJ Green and OJ Howard, they seem to content to give up the yards in the middle of the field to keep the points off the board. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think when we get to December the numbers will start to make more sense and even out a bit...meaning, TOs may come down a little, sacks go up, Run D stays strong, and passing yards per game comes down a ways also....it wasn't until Atlanta that the D gave up a passing TD....so let's not call them out just yet.

Edited by BigBuff423

I believe that tiebreaker is alphabetical order.

Alexander has always been fecal matter in coverage. Brown has been our best and below average for the league for some time. Milano is learning so I'll be nice.

We need to find a way to play nickel more without Alexander on 3rd down because he is struggling.

Which would be fine if we had any corners beyond White and the oft injured Gaines. Leonard Johnson isn't great either.

As Belichek always point out, people obsess about yards, you dont lose a game based on yards, you lose it based on points.

Wit the Bills zone were are going to give up chunks of yards to good QBs that have a quick release and are accurate short to intermediate range. Brady could put up 500 against us. Key is our defense tightens up in the red zone as the field compresses and we are constantly going for turnover, the Bucs had 6 fumbles, 6 last weekend. Most of those were forced by our defense.

So yes we have and we wil continue to give up chunks of yards, but to win we have to keep forcing turnovers and hold teams to FGs instead of TDs.

What killed them was when Howard would just scoot across the other side of the OL, get lost, and then emerge completely uncovered. Hopefully they get that figured-out.

But man I would love to have Tampa's receiving options. They should be putting up beaucoup points like that every weekend.

It is not the Bills secondary that is struggling. They got killed by a tight end this week. The linebackers, Milano apart, cannot cover.

Zo was horrid in coverage against TB. Brown also struggled to a degree.

anyone know when Humber will be back?

Edited by Foxx

I blame the pass rush. I mean were not loaded with talent in the secondary. But if the pass rush is better I dont think theyd get exposed as much. All the money is invested into the front, they should have solid pressures even without blitzing. 3rd down seems to be an issue sometimes. And as I said earlier I blame the pass rush for that. Overall though I cant complain much. The team has already overachieved more than I expected.

Those couple of big plays aside, what really humbled our D was the quick slant. Winston was hitting those at will. I think our guys forgot how to defend against the slant. Hopefully they are doing some refresher training on it this week.

zone coverages usually struggle against quick slants as the play develops quickly and the coverage transition leaves us lacking whilst exposed at Linebacker

but what?

maybe they should of just lost the game.....but

but.... it wasn't impressive for looking forward

the Steelers and Pats put the hurt on their opponents and looked like division winners

Bills squeaked out a win at home against a middling opponent....

the Steelers and Pats put the hurt on their opponents and looked like division winners

Have you watched all of the Pats* and Steelers games?

Tyrod would have trouble hitting the Pacific Ocean with a rock standing 20 feet away.

This is the Bills, if you want to start looking for home playoff tickets, be my guest.

I haven't seen the Bills dominate like the Pats (against a real team) and the Steelers did since..... 1999? Maybe Jim Kelly's late years?

And regardless... nobody is saying we are at their level yet. They are each a decade plus into coaching regimes and coach / QB combinations that are established Superbowl champion calibre.

We are year 1 of a new regime with a QB who most agree isn't at the Brady / Big Ben standard. We are not as good as those teams yet but we are finding ways to win games with the talent we have. That was sufficient to make the Dolphins a playoff team last year.

eh...the nfl doesn't really work like that. some weeks superior opponents will squeak out wins against teams they should blow out, and some times they're upset. all that matters is a win. on top of that, this doesn't seem like a year when anyone his heads and shoulders above anyone else, (except maybe the eagles?).

Tyrod would have trouble hitting the Pacific Ocean with a rock standing 20 feet away.

This is the Bills, if you want to start looking for home playoff tickets, be my guest.

I haven't seen the Bills dominate like the Pats (against a real team) and the Steelers did since..... 1999? Maybe Jim Kelly's late years?

Funny, he didn't have any trouble hitting Deonte Thompson and I think he's smaller than an ocean.

Keep swinging for the fences.

Jameis was surprisingly accurate especially for not practicing all week. Guys get open vs the zone and if the QB is accurate and on time he will hit them. There are dead spots in every zone and they were running good plays to defeat it.

Our biggest weakness is our LB's. Teams are going to see this film and how bad they are in coverage and attack the middle of the field more and more. Just wait until we play a really good offense. The raiders can put some points on the board, saints and Pats after that

but....patsies struggled against the same team and the steelers are not winning all that impressively but it's always easy to put your team down and degrade a win.

have a nice day

What killed them was when Howard would just scoot across the other side of the OL, get lost, and then emerge completely uncovered. Hopefully they get that figured-out.

But man I would love to have Tampa's receiving options. They should be putting up beaucoup points like that every weekend.

Ya I was getting mad at the Bills defence because I was saying the Bills should be able to stop Winston. But then I paused for a sec and thought... Holy sh**, they have Doug Martin, Desean Jackson, Mike Evans, a beast tight end in Brate and even a good 2nd tight end in Howard. Those are some serious weapons

Edited by billsfan11

Ya I was getting mad at the Bills defence because I was saying the Bills should be able to stop Winston. But then I paused for a sec and thought... Holy sh**, they have Doug Martin, Desean Jackson, Mike Evans, a beast tight end in Brate and even a good 2nd tight end in Howard. Those are some serious weapons

Yup. The size alone on Evans, Howard, and Brate (6'5" or over) makes them a huge mismatch, while Jackson is a waterbug.