Jameis humbled our D

CanadianFan

After reigning the NFL as the top scoring defense for a few weeks, Bills defense has come back to reality. We are now the 4th ranked scoring defense in the league. Mighty seahawks are leading that title once again.

We have one of the better run defenses, ranking 7th in the league at 84.5 yards given up per game.
We were all worried about this secondary before the season began. Its early bright start had us thinking they are way better than we thought. Look again: Bills secondary is 26th in the league at 258.7 yards given up per game. Only 5 teams are worse. And we have yet to face Brady. (Giants are one spot below us, but have the same yardage given up at 258.7. I assume the tie breaker was this:) The one consolation we have is that we have 2nd most INTs in the league with 9.
So yeah what we thought is still true. We will have trouble slowing down Brady.

I would slow down a bit here and use some perspective. The Bills did allow 300 yards against Cincy which inflates their stats but 77 yards of it was an AJ Green TD which he got a rookie (White) to bite on a route and had him by a step them. Tampa Bay has one of the most explosive rosters in terms of offensive talent and Buffalo forced 3 TO's and held them to 27 pts with Gaines out for half the game.

I think your a bit jaded because its been 17 years of rough times and we look for trouble anywhere we can as Bills fans because we have become conditioned to. I personally thought they were toast down 27-20 because that was the type of game we always lose despite having numerous chances to win. The secondary will have better weeks coming up and it probably will have a few downers just because its hard to be that good a lot and its still a new defense finding its way.

As long as White, Gaines, Poyer, & Hyde are starting I feel pretty confident in what we have and can handle the lumps along the way.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After reigning the NFL as the top scoring defense for a few weeks, Bills defense has come back to reality. We are now the 4th ranked scoring defense in the league. Mighty seahawks are leading that title once again.

We have one of the better run defenses, ranking 7th in the league at 84.5 yards given up per game.
We were all worried about this secondary before the season began. Its early bright start had us thinking they are way better than we thought. Look again: Bills secondary is 26th in the league at 258.7 yards given up per game. Only 5 teams are worse. And we have yet to face Brady. (Giants are one spot below us, but have the same yardage given up at 258.7. I assume the tie breaker was this:) The one consolation we have is that we have 2nd most INTs in the league with 9.

Well when you play zone, a good qb will move the chains. Zone is meant to be more effective as you get closer to the endzone. I think every FG we give up is a pretty decent defensive possession against a stronger team.

I believe it was Andy Dalton that humbled it...Jameis followed suit.

Brady gonna carve us up if they don't get it fixed.

I have been saying this since the day they decided on this zone, Brady could put up 500 yards/game against us. His game is ideal matchup against us., all i can say is thank god Edleman is out.

every game is different

In his PC yesterday, Frazier said he instructed his DL to make the Bucs one dimensional, make them pass a lot to win. The DL certainly nailed that part of the strategy. Fortunately the turnovers + offensive production were enough yesterday.

honestly, we're not having this conversation if our offense could convert turnovers to points (also leaving 6 points on the table). they made the Bucs pass and Winston made some mistakes 1INT (including another dropped INT). Did the same to siemen, made him pass 40 times. same with matt ryan 42 times. 4 INTs between the two of them. it's an okay strategy, it just leaves little room for error vs good QBs. if we made them eat their lunch on those turnovers and hit the FG and the one at the end of the half, it's not even close. but again, that's what good teams do, the jury's still out on us.

Edited by quinnearlysghost88

I don't know that I agree with the OP sentiments. For one, Gaines has been in and out with injuries and the turnovers have been consistent through the first 6 games, which is an important part of Defense so to dismiss it or slight it by saying it's a "consolation" to me is misleading. Second, Offenses are seeing they can't run very well on this Defense so they are passing more, which unless it's a total shutdown will lead to more yards. The OJ Howard TD was a TOTAL miff on the Defense and they admitted as much. Evans made a fantastic catch after a really high quality throw by Jameis, and yes the D should shut that down, but we can't expect perfection.

That said, not fielding more than 4 corners in a game is a concern, and hopefully McD sees this and dresses 5....and, the Defense does need to stand up again against the pass, but saying they're not good or "as bad as we thought they were", really isn't accurate either. I think given the game plan, which I believe in the last few weeks has been to bend and not break, to try and avoid the big play, ala AJ Green and OJ Howard, they seem to content to give up the yards in the middle of the field to keep the points off the board. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think when we get to December the numbers will start to make more sense and even out a bit...meaning, TOs may come down a little, sacks go up, Run D stays strong, and passing yards per game comes down a ways also....it wasn't until Atlanta that the D gave up a passing TD....so let's not call them out just yet.

True, Gaines being out is a huge issue for us. Jameis got more productive after he left as I recall. And our LBs can't cover TEs. I didn't think we had the speediest linebackers (I thought Milano was supposed to be good in coverage) and people are going to exploit that.

I'm not necessarily "calling them out". We are winning because of our defense. But well, the ease with which Jameis moved his team up and down concerns me. That's not the sign of a "stout" D. Say we didn't get that third turn over. Do you think we'd still win?

Yes we won. Yes I still love our defense. They are the reason we won 4 games. But, I'm not as confident in this D as I used to be.

In his PC yesterday, Frazier said he instructed his DL to make the Bucs one dimensional, make them pass a lot to win. The DL certainly nailed that part of the strategy. Fortunately the turnovers + offensive production were enough yesterday.

REALLY??? Frazier said that??? Tampa has the best passing offense in the league. And next to worst rushing offense. And our plan was to stop their RUN? hmmm are you sure he said that?

Jameis and the TB passing offense benefited greatly from Gaines' exit from the game that left Wright exposed. They also capitalized on poor coverage by the LB crew ( Alexander) that twice lost OJ Howard for TD receptions.

I hope Gaines is back. And I can't believe it was Lorenzo who lost OJ. I'd understand if it was Milano. Not a vet!

Here's what we're facing next week, in case anyone needed reminding:

u8gty5zjjttz.jpg

It is not the Bills secondary that is struggling. They got killed by a tight end this week. The linebackers, Milano apart, cannot cover.

Julio Jones was eating them alive before he got hurt, and A.J. Green took White to school. It's a true bend but don't break secondary. They'll get torched a lot but will come up with a big play when needed.

Yeah they got burned a bit in the passing game. But I'd rather focus on the fact that the offense stepped up and overcame that, just as the D overcame offense issues earlier in the season. That's what good teams do, figure out ways to win when not all cylinders are firing.

I have faith McD and Frazier can see what went wrong and fix it.

Yeah they got burned a bit in the passing game. But I'd rather focus on the fact that the offense stepped up and overcame that, just as the D overcame offense issues earlier in the season. That's what good teams do, figure out ways to win when not all cylinders are firing.

I have faith McD and Frazier can see what went wrong and fix it.

Having the right Jimmys and Joes (in this case Gaines and Poyer) in the lineup will certainly help.

How does this fit into TBD fan logic?

Derek Carr and Russel Wilson passed for over 333 yards and won

Alex Smith and Jameis Winston passed for over 333 yards and lost

Bortles sucks so his yards don't count

That 300 yard passing games guarantee nothing. Recovering turnovers and not turning the ball over yourself is more important.