McD: Dareus in competition with Thornton for starting role

YoloinOhio

I wish there were some financially feasible way to move him now.

Might have to just bite the bullet on this one.

He looked to be a real stud and then bam presto hes a smoking pile of turd.

the guy is a turd.

I agree

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you sure? Dareus has had a rocky road with the Bills from the very beginning...filled with ups and a lot of downs.

I'm not sure his deficient character traits couldn't have been diagnosed prior to the draft.

I would actually rank "bad attitude" or "no character" as MORE IMPORTANT than athletic talent.

I.E., huge talent trumps all concerns, EXCEPT bad attitude or huge character flaws...

And that's b/c no matter how talented you are in sports, if you are a punk dead beat, your talent will not consistently shine through.

I just wonder how much the Bills organization back then tried to assess character issues in guys. Or how much that is really done around the league. It should be a huge priority.

Watch HARD KNOCKS on HBO over the years and all the guys called in to the coach's office to get cut or placed on practice squad, etc...

It is very easy to tell who the good kids are and who have their act together...and who the dead beats are.

I actually think the current regime at OBD is thinking a lot about "character" and considers this a priority.

So that is good!

They drafted by the league rankings,why actually scout or talk to the players ;)

BTW perfect team coming up Cinci,loads of talent plenty of BA's over there.

You are right. It's just our luck though that all of those guys are potential hall of famers and the 1 guy that's not is the one we picked. He has talent worthy of a #3 any other year but in one of the best drafts ever we get the worst of the bunch

I hear you.... me I had delusions that Von would drop to third...

Incredible that even the dud in the top still landed top ranked money

Dareus should be flat out embarrassed by this...he has the talent to dominate but not the will...what a waste.

Sounds a lot like Mario was.

Will he have the same fate? Sure looks like it right now.

Can Dareus become a beast again?

All I know is that Dareus totally pisses off this fan base and rightfully so.

this year it's going to be if Darnold came out we would have Rosen. when Rosen is in the Pro Bowl in 5 yrs we are going to be kicking ourselves

We have no shot at Rosen. Not even close, even if Darnold were to come out. Rosen would be picked well before Darnold anyway. Edited by mannc

We have no shot at Rosen. Not even close.

well sure, now. at one point i was expecting them to trade TT and Shady and go for a QB in the draft. now we just have to enjoy the ride and hopefully it works out. but in the end let's say we don't make the playoffs. meanwhile Rosen ends up being a pro bowl QB. it's going to be a bummer

Interesting so many think Dareus is so bad. The ratings don't show him as anything less than a quality starter. He may not be playing up to his contract, but he is definitely a quality starter.

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2017/09/buffalo_bills_marcell_dareus_holds_long_streak_in_run_game_says_pro_football_foc.html

well sure, now. at one point i was expecting them to trade TT and Shady and go for a QB in the draft. now we just have to enjoy the ride and hopefully it works out. but in the end let's say we don't make the playoffs. meanwhile Rosen ends up being a pro bowl QB. it's going to be a bummer

Except even in your scenario, I think the Bills would still have a shot at a quality QB. I think Rudolph, Allen, Mayfield, Browning and a few others could turn out to be really good. Some will be available late in the first or even second round.

Interesting so many think Dareus is so bad. The ratings don't show him as anything less than a quality starter. He may not be playing up to his contract, but he is definitely a quality starter.

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2017/09/buffalo_bills_marcell_dareus_holds_long_streak_in_run_game_says_pro_football_foc.html

wont work man. minds are made up around here.

but I found that to be a great article. it's pretty clear that this defense is made up of a lot of rotation now. a smart move in my opinion by keeping players fresh. when he gets over his nagging injury hopefully soon, I hope he continues to be a force up front, which I believe he will be. right now, he's the whipping boy around here and the only way to silence it to a degree, is to step up and be the force he knows he can be on that line. some will still complain about his money because well, they have to have something to complain about I suppose. I'm pulling for him to get back to form and help this team make it in to the post season?

wont work man. minds are made up around here.

but I found that to be a great article. it's pretty clear that this defense is made up of a lot of rotation now. a smart move in my opinion by keeping players fresh. when he gets over his nagging injury hopefully soon, I hope he continues to be a force up front, which I believe he will be. right now, he's the whipping boy around here and the only way to silence it to a degree, is to step up and be the force he knows he can be on that line. some will still complain about his money because well, they have to have something to complain about I suppose. I'm pulling for him to get back to form and help this team make it in to the post season?

In short - he needs to play UP to the contract.

Paid like a star.

Play like a star.

He hasn't.

Let's all overreact, shall we? He's got a bum ankle. He can still play at probowl level when it heals. Besides, we have only 2 good DT's on the roster. Let's get real. After Kyle and Marcel, the other DT's on this roster are terrible! We have enough holes to fill at LB, C, G, WR, CB and OT ( if Dawkins flops) without adding DT to that list. Also, Lorenzo, Richie and Kyle are near retirement age. And then there's the question of QB. Unless Mr. Beane can do magic, I can't see all those holes getting filled even with all our picks in the next draft and no one is going to trade for him. If he is released, we will be wearing that dead money like an anchor around our necks for far too long.

We're stuck with Marcell. The good news is that he played lights out before Rex arrived. I expect McDermott will use either the carrot or the stick to try to motivate him. If that doesn't work, we are in trouble. Let's hope it does. I'm not buying the notion that our defense has arrived just yet. We're still only 4 games into the season and our run D hasn't looked very good these past 2 weeks. We still have some tough games ahead too.

Let's all overreact, shall we? He's got a bum ankle. He can still play at probowl level when it heals. Besides, we have only 2 good DT's on the roster. Let's get real. After Kyle and Marcel, the other DT's on this roster are terrible! We have enough holes to fill at LB, C, G, WR, CB and OT ( if Dawkins flops) without adding DT to that list. Also, Lorenzo, Richie and Kyle are near retirement age. And then there's the question of QB. Unless Mr. Beane can do magic, I can't see all those holes getting filled even with all our picks in the next draft and no one is going to trade for him. If he is released, we will be wearing that dead money like an anchor around our necks for far too long.

We're stuck with Marcell. The good news is that he played lights out before Rex arrived. I expect McDermott will use either the carrot or the stick to try to motivate him. If that doesn't work, we are in trouble. Let's hope it does. I'm not buying the notion that our defense has arrived just yet. We're still only 4 games into the season and our run D hasn't looked very good these past 2 weeks. We still have some tough games ahead too.

The same dts that are filling in admirably for the individual this thread is about?

We just re sighned wood the center.

Our cbs are fine.

Our lbscare fine.

Our guards are fine. We literally could use a tackle and a wr out of those you listed. You are way overreacting. If Marcell isnt pulling his weight to the likings of this staff and the owner then he will be gone and no amount of hyperbole, overreaction from fans, or blatant lies about his performance will stop thst from happrning.

You should prepare yourself for the possibility of it happening; as from the looks of it its pretty probable.

I don't know if this applies to Dareus, but I don't know how many people here are aware that many NFL players don't actually like playing football. It hurts - a lot. I'll never forget hearing an interview with Chargers D-lineman Burt Grossman on the Jim Rome show over two decades ago. In response to the question of how much he still loved the game (he was nearing the end of his very solid 6 year career, in which he had 43.5 sacks), he essentially said that he never liked playing in the NFL and only did it for the money. Rome then asked him if college was the last time he liked playing. He said he hated playing in college too (he went to Pitt and was drafted 8th overall in the first round). He closed by saying that the last time he liked playing football was in high school. He had stuck with it because of the money.

Kris Jenkins' NYT piece from a few years back is quite revealing about the punishment DTs take: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/20/sports/football/kris-jenkinss-view-of-life-in-the-nfl-trenches.html .

Consider all of this when thinking about Dareus, who is effectively set for life. The only financially stupid thing Dareus could do at this point is retire, because he'd forfeit millions of dollars. Even if he's unmotivated, he needs to stick it out to collect that cash. Again, I don't know if he hates playing football, but he might. We as fans are justified in not liking this, but this sort of situation is more common than you might think. It's why teams are terrified of guaranteed contracts. This ain't MLB w/regard to "love of the game."

The Kris Jenkins article is great. Thanks for the link. I think you hit the nail on the head - fans can't stop criticizing guys like Dareus because we're so wedded to the cliches about giving 110% and leaving nothing in the locker room. From a purely rational economic perspective, Dareus will get the money whether he pushes himself to the limit and accepts additional pain and suffering (and possible long term physical consequences) or whether he just shows up and does the minimum. Call it lazy, call it rational, call it whatever you want.

Appearing in just 22 snaps, the fewest for any member of the Bills defense, Dareus did not record a solo tackle, did not record an assisted tackle, did not record a tackle of any sort in Buffalo’s big 23-17 win over the Falcons.

Switching from a 3-4 to a 4-3 defense, the Bills (3-1) find themselves alone in first place in the AFC East.

Without any productivity from “Mr. Big Stuff,” the Bills defense is currently the stingiest in the league, allowing 13.5 points per game, and the Bills rank third in interceptions (six), are eighth in sacks (11), and are 10th in total yards allowed per game (306.5).

Dareus, the team’s highest-paid defensive player, has now logged a grand total of ONE assisted tackle, with no sacks and no quarterback hurries through the first quarter of the season. He is one of only three current Bills without a solo tackle along with Jerel Worthy, who just made his season debut in Atlanta (matching Dareus’ season total with one assisted tackle and managing a quarterback hit). Tanner Vallejo, Buffalo’s rookie linebacker, is the other Bill with one assisted tackle.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/10/2/16396586/buffalo-bills-curious-case-of-the-disappearing-marcell-dareus

So could the Bills actually rid themselves of the Dareus contract? Some have speculated that Dareus is simply too expensive to trade. ESPN had this to say about it:

Trading Dareus before this season would result in a cap savings of $9.75 million in 2017 -- Dareus' base salary -- but a $14.2 million dead-money charge in 2018 from the acceleration of his signing bonus proration. Given that the Bills could roll over the $9.75 million in 2017 savings into their 2018 cap, the dead money could be palatable. However, any team acquiring Dareus in a trade would be taking on risk by inheriting the 2017-21 seasons of his deal. In addition to Dareus' fully guaranteed $9.75 million salary in 2017, his new team would be on the hook for the fully guaranteed portion ($7.35 million) of his $9.925 million salary in 2018, as well as non-guaranteed salaries of $8.335 million (2019), $12.35 million (2020) and $12.4 million (2021). If any team was willing to take on that contract, the risk would cost the Bills in the trade compensation that team would receive.

According to that breakdown, the Bills would save a little under $10 million this season but be on the hook for about $14 next season. In other words, the Bills would be out about $4.5 million which isn’t exactly an unreasonable amount. The new team would be on the hook for a shade under $20 million over the next two seasons before either cutting the cord or picking up about $33 million the next 3 seasons. While big numbers, they aren’t insurmountable.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/10/4/16406836/will-marcell-dareus-remain-with-buffalo-bills-sean-mcdermott-brandon-beane-trust-the-process

Edited by Scott7975

Interesting. It isn't completely outside the realm of possibility that some team could still believe in him and pay that salary. It's doubtful but not out of the question.

If so, maybe you could get anywhere from a 3rd to a 5th for him.

Interesting. It isn't completely outside the realm of possibility that some team could still believe in him and pay that salary. It's doubtful but not out of the question.

If so, maybe you could get anywhere from a 3rd to a 5th for him.

You meant to say we could give a 3rd or 5th for someone to take him and his massive contract right? That makes much more sense

The Kris Jenkins article is great. Thanks for the link. I think you hit the nail on the head - fans can't stop criticizing guys like Dareus because we're so wedded to the cliches about giving 110% and leaving nothing in the locker room. From a purely rational economic perspective, Dareus will get the money whether he pushes himself to the limit and accepts additional pain and suffering (and possible long term physical consequences) or whether he just shows up and does the minimum. Call it lazy, call it rational, call it whatever you want.

I call it unethical to ink a contract for services and then screw the payer of said contract by not honoring it.

....does anybody realistically think it would make a rat's azz bit of difference if Thornton started over Fat Albert II?.....guilt trip?...NOT.....longer paid vacation of doing nothing?....YUP.....

when are you going to get off his back? your name calling of the kid is beyond getting old. I used to think you were pretty cool but your obsession with him has me questioning it now.

no, I'm really not trying to defend him, just an observation by the numerous posts you have against him. does it change anything? will he be gone any sooner?

give it a rest man.

I call it unethical to ink a contract for services and then screw the payer of said contract by not honoring it.

...sure is.... a contract is a mutually accepted agreement for services to be performed IF structured properly.....but the finite language that probably exists in sports contracts is probably hugely gray......unable to perform "duties" means what and determined by whom?....our docs say you can whereas your docs say no way...who wins?.....that is the blatant fallacy of guaranteed contracts, be it the horror or WHORE......and the Fat Alberts of the world are money whores IMO....."paging Mr Dareus, pick up the lobby phone"......

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

...sure is.... a contract is a mutually accepted agreement for services to be performed IF structured properly.....but the finite language that probably exists in sports contracts is probably hugely gray......unable to perform "duties" means what and determined by whom?....our docs say you can whereas your docs say no way...who wins?.....that is the blatant fallacy of guaranteed contracts, be it the horror or WHORE......and the Fat Alberts of the world are money whores IMO....."paging Mr Dareus, pick up the lobby phone"......

I bet you wish you had his contract. thank whaley and company for printing it out for him. pretty deep when one can be so obsessed with a football player and his money, deep.

You all are nuts if you think Dareus can't still wreck sh** on the field. I don't know where people get this Dareus is lazy crap from. He's a huge asset on defense. He just needs to show professionalism and maturity when away from the field.

He hasn't been an asset on the field at all this year. Our defense has been dominant without him.

Nor has he been very effective this year. He has been completely invisible.

Edited by Scott7975

You all are nuts if you think Dareus can't still wreck sh** on the field. I don't know where people get this "Dareus is lazy" crap from. He's very effective and is a huge asset on defense. He just needs to show professionalism and maturity when away from the field.

He hasn't been an asset on the field at all this year. Our defense has been dominant without him.

What?

He hasn't been healthy.

The defense becomes that much more of a problem with him. You don't let him go just like that. The sack totals will only increase with a healthy Dareus in the lineup.

You guys turn on talented players who run into a little trouble in a heartbeat even when they are contributors much like you'll lose faith in the team entirely after a loss until the next win.

You all are nuts if you think Dareus can't still wreck sh** on the field. I don't know where people get this "Dareus is lazy" crap from. He's very effective and is a huge asset on defense. He just needs to show professionalism and maturity when away from the field.

What?

He hasn't been healthy.

The defense becomes that much more of a problem with him. You don't let him go just like that. The sack totals will only increase with a healthy Dareus in the lineup.

You guys turn on talented players who run into a little trouble in a heartbeat even when they are contributors much like you'll lose faith in the team entirely after a loss until the next win.

He had a sore ankle in week two. Big deal. We are on to week 5 and the D hasn't missed a beat without him.

I turn on high dollar players that don't perform. Yes getting suspended is part of it. Next suspension is 10 games minimum for him. Dareus has been a problem for every coaching staff this team has had. Isnt worth the cap space when you can spend the money on multiple players that play hard.

Luckily, this doesn't appear to be a gray area. It's just Dareus not caring.

He had a sore ankle in week two. Big deal. We are on to week 5 and the D hasn't missed a beat without him.

I turn on high dollar players that don't perform. Yes getting suspended is part of it. Next suspension is 10 games minimum for him. Dareus has been a problem for every coaching staff this team has had. Isnt worth the cap space when you can spend the money on multiple players that play hard.

Of course a sore ankle is no big deal to you because you're not standing on it. The defense hasn't missed a beat without him because he doesn't make the defense by himself.

Did you even call for this great start at the beginning of the season?

Did you even call the McDermott hiring like I did?

If no, I don't think you have any room to be so dismissive of what Dareus has to offer to this team.

I think the coaching staff understands the talent he is better than you do.

Edited by BurpleBull

at least you're respectful with your views.

when are you going to get off his back? your name calling of the kid is beyond getting old. I used to think you were pretty cool but your obsession with him has me questioning it now.

no, I'm really not trying to defend him, just an observation by the numerous posts you have against him. does it change anything? will he be gone any sooner?

give it a rest man.

...I'm not giving anything a rest.....IGNORE is a beautiful thing and I suggest you use it with me...no harm no foul here.....you emphasize with him and I despise him period........adios......

Of course a sore ankle is no big deal to you because you're not standing on it. The defense hasn't missed a beat without him because he doesn't make the defense by himself.

Did you even call for this great start at the beginning of the season?

Did you even call the McDermott hiring like I did?

If no, I don't think you have any room to be so dismissive of what Dareus has to offer to this team.

I think the coaching staff understands the talent he is better than you do.

Yup defense didn't miss a beat without him so why pay him 100 million dollars?

No but I did feel it would be far better than Rex Ryan. What does that have to do with Dareus... needless to say the great start has pretty much happened without him so again why tie up the cap resources?

Call the McD hiring? What does that have to do with Dareus.

I have plenty of room to be dismissive of a guy eating up cap space that has no ambition to play football.

I think they do to and all signs point to him not being on the team next season.