Fans burning their NFL apparel on social media...

eball

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty absurd. I'd like to put a camera on each one of these mouth-breathers, because I'm willing to bet 99.9% of them will forget their "outrage" pretty quickly and be watching their teams on Sunday.

So silly.

It's been linked and discussed in all the other threads about this crap.

It's the middle of a football week. Get this crap out of my face I'm ready for the Falcons.

oh man, I loved it. haha it was such a funny way to end yesterday's evening. I loved the woman that couldn't light her steelers flag on fire, and was quite possibly the least articulate of the bunch. then there was the one dude that was talking about burning his $400 steelers jacket, and stated that this country was founded on the Torah.

I saved them all for future laughs.

Edited by 87168

Pretty absurd. I'd like to put a camera on each one of these mouth-breathers, because I'm willing to bet 99.9% of them will forget their "outrage" pretty quickly and be watching their teams on Sunday.

So silly.

Those who do not watch football consider everyone associated with the sport to be half the wits of a mouth-breather.

Yeah, I don't really understand outrage to that point. I have my opinions about the protest but will not be controlled by it.

But what is overlooked, I think, is that some people do take it very seriously, and many of these folks actually may never come back. You can dismiss them as dumb rednecks like I have seen a number of times, but the fact is they are paying customers, too. Apparently they take America very seriously, so I don't think you can say, with any certainty at all that "they will be back next week", or ever. They see it as a direct shot to their core belief set, and often times that is much, much stronger that a sports allegiance.

So silly.

Its my favorite thing so far. They are All LAMP's.

They want to feel like they are a part of something, and they want attention (Hence posting on Facebook) but in the long run are going to be made to look like fools and in the long term will contribute to more profits to the NFL because they have to buy all new stuff.

Yeah, I don't really understand outrage to that point. I have my opinions about the protest but will not be controlled by it.

But what is overlooked, I think, is that some people do take it very seriously, and many of these folks actually may never come back. You can dismiss them as dumb rednecks like I have seen a number of times, but the fact is they are paying customers, too. Apparently they take America very seriously, so I don't think you can say, with any certainty at all that "they will be back next week", or ever. They see it as a direct shot to their core belief set, and often times that is much, much stronger that a sports allegiance.

Nah, they are the attention seekers. The people that "wont" be back are the silent ones that don't post on social media ranting and raving screaming LOOK AT ME!.

Congrats on burning tickets though and wasting thousands of dollars though, you really showed the NFL!

they will be back.. they just need the trumpet to calm down and focus on something else like nuking NOKO again and they will be watching football again. They might sit out a week or two but the neanderthal in them will bring them back

Nah, they are the attention seekers. The people that "wont" be back are the silent ones that don't post on social media ranting and raving screaming LOOK AT ME!.

Congrats on burning tickets though and wasting thousands of dollars though, you really showed the NFL!

I get what you are saying. I would guess alot will come back.

But you don't know that. That's my point.

NBA went through the same thing in the 90s. The game went from Hoosiers to drug dealers overnight. They've never recovered. No one likes hypocrites and ingrates who would betray their neighbors when things get tough, or burn down a city for free stuff, or assassinate police officers because it's fun.

Trends have been against the NFL for a long time. This was just the bubble popping.

ah, this is just part of the c%$#@#f%$# the nfl has become. PEDs, cheating scandals, court cases to determine the outcome of cheating scandals, CTE, the marijuana question and evolving laws and social norms, domestic abuse, cheerleader controversies and now the politicization of the game day experience. what makes me chuckle is you really couldn't find a more exclusive, high-end, misogynistic club than that of nfl players and owners.

I saw yesterday that a member of the steelers spoke about some fan reaction, and basically suggested that they weren't looking to politicize it, they just wanted to play football. he went on to say if some fans don't want to watch, they shouldn't watch. seemed reasonable enough, but if you're part of the ownership group, that should chill you to the bone. the whole point is to get consumers to embrace the product.

oh man, I loved it. haha it was such a funny way to end yesterday's evening. I loved the woman that couldn't light her steelers flag on fire, and was quite possibly the least articulate of the bunch. then there was the one dude that was talking about burning his $400 steelers jacket, and stated that this country was founded on the Torah.

I saved them all for future laughs.

probably had trouble burning that flag because they are made out of flame resistant material as so not too catch on fire. Still funny though.

It's anything but absurd! Many of us were raised to honor God & Country, and see all the kneeling foolishness as an attack on their values. Many fought and died for what we have today, and the flag represents all that. People naturally respond to that.

As for Social media, I've never been a subscriber but have heard horror stories about people being attacked and threatened for expressing their views. Obviously that reflects a lack of values and respect, and those who were not raised that way, just don't get that!

Just heard on the radio that a bar in N VA is cancelling Sunday Ticket because they have a daughter that is currently serving in the military, They clearly have the courage of their convictions, may suffer from a business standpoint, but are OK with that, so I support them..

It's anything but absurd! Many of us were raised to honor God & Country, and see all the kneeling foolishness as an attack on their values. Many fought and died for what we have today, and the flag represents all that. People naturally respond to that.

As for Social media, I've never been a subscriber but have heard horror stories about people being attacked and threatened for expressing their views. Obviously that reflects a lack of values and respect, and those who were not raised that way, just don't get that!

Just heard on the radio that a bar in N VA is cancelling Sunday Ticket because they have a daughter that is currently serving in the military, They clearly have the courage of their convictions, may suffer from a business standpoint, but are OK with that, so I support them..

They see it as an attack on their values because they are told to see it that way by their favorite media outlets.

I find it curious that those who complain about values the loudest seem to care the least about those same values of life and liberty being denied to certain groups of people.

You realize they are protesting the comment that the president made about how they should be fired if they don't stand and not the flag, right? Yes, there are others that started protesting by kneeling but this past Sunday was not about that.

It was the players showing a unified belief that what he said was wrong. Not the flag is wrong or the country is wrong but what he said about how people should stand up and shut up (paraphrasing). Kind of disrespectful to those people that fought and died too don't you think?

Edited by The Wiz

Yup.

But you will be shouted down. They have to make it seem like the players are the reasonable ones.

Funny how the people who so strongly support players protesting will quickly smash people protesting on their own time. At least these folks are protesting the thing they are upset about, which is more than you can say for the players protesting.

Others smash them for the attention grab, but isn't that what protestimg is for? Isn't that what the players are doing too? Couldn't they donate money to their respective causes, or would that not be enough "look at me".

@promo... so people don't love their country unless fox news tells them to? I would argue that the liberal side of media clearly has more push because they are successfully running a narrative that the general population does not agree with for the most part. And it's gaining traction. People have lomg since been offended by flag disrespect, and your suggestion that they only believe what they are told to is another in a long list of liberals telling people who disagree that they are dumb. Next up they are racist, right?

They clearly have the courage of their convictions, may suffer from a business standpoint, but are OK with that, so I support them..

So you thnk Kaep did not have the courage of his convictions? Man lost his livelihood to show stand up and show his beliefs. You an old guy like me, what did you think when Ali had the courage of his convictions to not go to Vietnam(while guys like Trump sat home and claimed a booboo on his foot)?

NBA went through the same thing in the 90s. The game went from Hoosiers to drug dealers overnight. They've never recovered. No one likes hypocrites and ingrates who would betray their neighbors when things get tough, or burn down a city for free stuff, or assassinate police officers because it's fun.

Trends have been against the NFL for a long time. This was just the bubble popping.

Nah, Just people overreacting, who will be back in a few weeks.

Yup.

But you will be shouted down. They have to make it seem like the players are the reasonable ones.

Funny how the people who so strongly support players protesting will quickly smash people protesting on their own time. At least these folks are protesting the thing they are upset about, which is more than you can say for the players protesting.

Others smash them for the attention grab, but isn't that what protestimg is for? Isn't that what the players are doing too? Couldn't they donate money to their respective causes, or would that not be enough "look at me".

@promo... so people don't love their country unless fox news tells them to? I would argue that the liberal side of media clearly has more push because they are successfully running a narrative that the general population does not agree with for the most part. And it's gaining traction. People have lomg since been offended by flag disrespect, and your suggestion that they only believe what they are told to is another in a long list of liberals telling people who disagree that they are dumb. Next up they are racist, right?

No one is shouting you down.

The people on Facebook who post the "Look at me burning all my stuff" will all be back by playoff time at the latest.

Players got the attention they wanted, now do something constructive with it, if they don't, all this was all for nothing.

you mean like this

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/08/colin-kaepernick-nfl-national-anthem-protest-one-million-dollar-pledge-donations-empower-communities

or this

http://www.stab.org/cf_enotify/view.cfm?n=7454

Or the countless other donations we know nothing about?

Yup.

You're making my point. You say it's about love country. Those protesting made it clear it's about the President's statements. So either you don't believe them or don't care.

Yes, many have put their money where their mouth is and I applaud them. I was responding to someone who said these jersey burners were just trying to get views. That is what most of these players are doing too.

If players want to effect change through real means, like the example you provided, that is awesome amd they should continue. I am not against protesting in general, but was pointing out the double standard.

Yes...it's a complex issue. Personally, I would think if people really understood what the flag represents "and all that", they would be fully behind the protest. But, they don't seem to be able to acknowledge, or process into the equation, the reason these people are protesting.

And, good on the N VA bar owner cancelling the Sunday Ticket. He is free to do so...but there are many from military families (both active and retired) who feel the opposite. In fact, I think I heard over the last few days, close to 200 NFL players have family members who are currently in the military, and I am sure many more had/have family members who served at one time. Of course, many of those may very well choose to stand for the anthem...and that is great...but to consistently interpret what the protestors are doing as an assault on America, and disrespectful...why can't they ever pause to consider what the protesters are protesting?

The right held up Kim Davis as some sort of folk hero for protesting at her job, because she didn't agree with gay marriage laws...all kinds of hypocrisy and double standards being thrown around... "on both sides, on both sides" as our president would say. Nobody is forcing anyone to kneel, and nobody is forcing anyone to stand...

Edited by Buftex

You're making my point. You say it's about love country. Those protesting made it clear it's about the President's statements. So either you don't believe them or don't care.

Yes, people who are offended are because of love of country. It is not important to them what players are protesting, but that they are taking it out on America as a whole.

My point is these people are not offended because they want to defend Trump. Nobody believes that. They are not offended because the news told them to. They are generally offended by flag disrespect, and the suggestion that they are just dumb or misguided is condescending nonsense.

So you thnk Kaep did not have the courage of his convictions? Man lost his livelihood to show stand up and show his beliefs. You an old guy like me, what did you think when Ali had the courage of his convictions to not go to Vietnam(while guys like Trump sat home and claimed a booboo on his foot)?

Thought he lost his livelihood by taking bad advice (or ignoring good advice) from his agent & opting out of his contract. :unsure:

Yes, people who are offended are because of love of country. It is not important to them what players are protesting, but that they are taking it out on America as a whole.

My point is these people are not offended because they want to defend Trump. Nobody believes that. They are not offended because the news told them to. They are generally offended by flag disrespect, and the suggestion that they are just dumb or misguided is condescending nonsense.

I would happen to think they are extremely misguided, or have tunnel vision and don't want to see what is really going on.

I would happen to think they are extremely misguided, or have tunnel vision and don't want to see what is really going on.

What is really going on? Players are protesting the flag and anthem, but don't have a problem with the flag or anthem? That seems to make much less sense to me.

These fans are upset with football, so they protest football.

NFL players are upset with croked cops, white supremacy, and Trump so they protest the flag?

I just fundamentally don't tunderstand how you can make a point that the players protest is somehow more legitimate. Clearly the issues they have a problem with are legitimate, and a big problem in the country, but that doesn't make the misappropriation of anger any less puzzling.