Fans burning their NFL apparel on social media...

eball

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I may not agree with all of this, but this is how you craft a counter argument-ish.

To the last part, two wrongs don't make a right and never will. both have done and said things that damaged their reputations to a lot of people.

how about a nice game of chess?

Boyst, c'mon. There are hundreds of videos out there. How many do you have to see?

The videos prove very little. They don't show the whole sequence of events etc. they are pure propaganda. People love to hate on Cops, so it's really low hanging fruit. There are statistically very few of these things nationwide per annum. It's practically irrelevant. That can't be overstated. Michael Brown was described as " unarmed" yet he tried to grab a Cops gun from his holster. Great guy, Huh? All these cases go through the legal system if warranted. At the very least there is a grand jury investigation and an internal one. No one in the USA is a 007. Even Cops are subject to the legal proceedings. Such a false narrative out there. If a jury decides to acquit, they do so according to the eveidence and the letter of the law. Not just a 15 second video vignette, but all the evidence. I've yet to hear of a way to resolve this huge " problem" that happens to a minuscule fraction of a decimal of a percentage point of people. What do we do? Is there a better system than a jury or bench trial that suspects are allowed? Do we just have all Cops focus on speeding tickets and send them only when a crime has already taken place? Do we tell them to profile Grandmothers and pull them over more often to keep things " balanced out ". I've yet to hear one practical suggestion. If we take away the ability to use force from Cops, there will be lots more police funerals and a huge uptick in crime. About ten times as many people die per year at the hands of a drunk driver. A much bigger problem statistically. Who's taking a knee for them ? Over 5 million women report being abused per year with over a thousand murders attributed to this annually. About the same as all races involved in police shootings. Is Joe Mixon or any one of these wonderful NFL players taking a knee for them ? Why did they pick the " struggle" they have chosen? It's cool in society to hate on Cops, just ask Colin with his " pig " socks.

Yup.

But you will be shouted down. They have to make it seem like the players are the reasonable ones.

Funny how the people who so strongly support players protesting will quickly smash people protesting on their own time. At least these folks are protesting the thing they are upset about, which is more than you can say for the players protesting.

Others smash them for the attention grab, but isn't that what protestimg is for? Isn't that what the players are doing too? Couldn't they donate money to their respective causes, or would that not be enough "look at me".

@promo... so people don't love their country unless fox news tells them to? I would argue that the liberal side of media clearly has more push because they are successfully running a narrative that the general population does not agree with for the most part. And it's gaining traction. People have lomg since been offended by flag disrespect, and your suggestion that they only believe what they are told to is another in a long list of liberals telling people who disagree that they are dumb. Next up they are racist, right?

I don't mind being "shouted down." Went through all this with Viet Nam, so it's nothing new..

We're not talking about people protesting "on their own time." These are highly paid athletes who could never replace their income and status, but having said that, they are also employees of the teams and by extension the NFL who is responsible for anything that happens.

It's funny that the NFL refused to remember 9-11 because it was "too political." They also refused the Dallas Cowboys from remembering the 5 murdered Dallas Police officers, for the same reason. Somehow this is not too political for them?

Protesting is not about "smashing" anything! And no, I don't rely on Fox news to form my views. I'm very capable of forming views without outside "news" influence. The racist tag, always comes at the end of a conversation where the person using the tag, has been unable to prove or accept the other side.

Let's edit that a bit. They work in democracies that embrace concepts like those embedded in the Constitution and Bill of Rights.

Not so much for this guy who reportedly was executed 14 days later...

The-unknown-rebel-in-front-of-tank-in-Ti

I thought that was never proven to be true?

Boyst, c'mon. There are hundreds of videos out there. How many do you have to see?

hundreds of videos.

That's the best reply?

I seriously would beloeve you to be sarcastic if I did know better.

Hundreds of videos which show individual actions of intolerable nature means there is an issue I should care about?

There are thousands of non-shown videos and issues I care more about than the alleged police brutality against minorities. I will list them because I am on the can and don't feel like doing any work.

1) cancer

2) kids with cancer

3) puppies with cancer

4) the girls name who I was out with last night

5) did she have cancer?

6) why can't tyrod call an audible?

7) will I ever actually try to make ribs? I mean, I've tried and failed.

8) I'm hungry now and wonder if Jim will send me some of that meat he is curing

9) Mead loves my meat

10) giraffes with cancer

11) people born under the birth sign cancer (myself)

12) the girl I took to prom who has been creeping in my Facebook

13) that travel nurse who leaves this week and if I'll get to see her before she leaves

14) buying a boat

15) the injustices of those who were here upon this land before us

16) is covfefe a real word?

17) Letterman's job was easy, I'm already at 18, but he has a nice beard

18) I do have a nice beard, but do I grow the mustache like the handlebar I did last year?

19) I believe we should support laser hair removal upon all those who need it.

20) I care a lot about children's book authors. Those books make kids happy

21) I wonder what Sean Penn is doing right now and if he realizes no one really cares what he is doing and I am saddened by that because I am sure he is still heart broke by Madonna.

22) I don't get why anyone would name.their daughter Madonna

23) or sue

24) what would Johnny Cash think of this

25) some day my words could be prolific and I fear for this.

26) I don't want to be Jesus. He had a dead best dad

27) I didn't check for toilet paper before I sat down

28) if sitting here too long, my legs go numb

29) if I drop my phone, it's waterproof

Athletes are nothing more than entertainers. They can protest all they want. Kneeling/sitting/stretching during the National Anthem is of huge disrespect. The display on Sunday was nothing more than privileged millionaires throwing a tantrum because a privileged billionaire said some mean things. I don't even think anyone remembers what the original protest was.

As for being a mouth breather, I am college educated, live in one of the most liberal/progressive cities in the nation, vote straight libertarian and am practically an anarchist in my philosophies on how government should operate, and I turned off the TV and removed my Bills gear at home and at work. I've put up with 3-13 seasons of Rob Johnson and never felt so apathetic as I did on Sunday.

The product is unwatchable, the league has been mired in scandal for years, the health effects (and coverups) of CTE are now fully out in the open. My sons will never play football, and I will probably never watch the Bills or any other NFL team again. The death spiral was already there, this was the final push to irrelevance. No I will not be posting again. Yes, I realize no one cares. Good day.

Athletes are nothing more than entertainers. They can protest all they want. Kneeling/sitting/stretching during the National Anthem is of huge disrespect. The display on Sunday was nothing more than privileged millionaires throwing a tantrum because a privileged billionaire said some mean things. I don't even think anyone remembers what the original protest was.

As for being a mouth breather, I am college educated, live in one of the most liberal/progressive cities in the nation, vote straight libertarian and am practically an anarchist in my philosophies on how government should operate, and I turned off the TV and removed my Bills gear at home and at work. I've put up with 3-13 seasons of Rob Johnson and never felt so apathetic as I did on Sunday.

The product is unwatchable, the league has been mired in scandal for years, the health effects (and coverups) of CTE are now fully out in the open. My sons will never play football, and I will probably never watch the Bills or any other NFL team again. The death spiral was already there, this was the final push to irrelevance. No I will not be posting again. Yes, I realize no one cares. Good day.

Later

The videos prove very little. They don't show the whole sequence of events etc. they are pure propaganda. People love to hate on Cops, so it's really low hanging fruit. There are statistically very few of these things nationwide per annum. It's practically irrelevant. That can't be overstated. Michael Brown was described as " unarmed" yet he tried to grab a Cops gun from his holster. Great guy, Huh? All these cases go through the legal system if warranted. At the very least there is a grand jury investigation and an internal one. No one in the USA is a 007. Even Cops are subject to the legal proceedings. Such a false narrative out there. If a jury decides to acquit, they do so according to the eveidence and the letter of the law. Not just a 15 second video vignette, but all the evidence. I've yet to hear of a way to resolve this huge " problem" that happens to a minuscule fraction of a decimal of a percentage point of people. What do we do? Is there a better system than a jury or bench trial that suspects are allowed? Do we just have all Cops focus on speeding tickets and send them only when a crime has already taken place? Do we tell them to profile Grandmothers and pull them over more often to keep things " balanced out ". I've yet to hear one practical suggestion. If we take away the ability to use force from Cops, there will be lots more police funerals and a huge uptick in crime. About ten times as many people die per year at the hands of a drunk driver. A much bigger problem statistically. Who's taking a knee for them ? Over 5 million women report being abused per year with over a thousand murders attributed to this annually. About the same as all races involved in police shootings. Is Joe Mixon or any one of these wonderful NFL players taking a knee for them ? Why did they pick the " struggle" they have chosen? It's cool in society to hate on Cops, just ask Colin with his " pig " socks.

What is there to say?

buh bye.

hey, there's always nascar :thumbsup:

Protests like this work. Its how women got the vote in England and in the US. Its how the civil rights movement gathered support. Its how Ghandi rallied the masses. Its how a tax revolt in Boston became a revolution. Its how the political battles over the HIV epidemic were won. High profile protest by minorities that irritated and confounded the majority didn't achieve all these things by itself but it was an important part of all of these movements. In their day, Act UP, the Sons of Liberty, the suffragettes, NAACP, etc. were all despised as instigators, agitators, terrorists, traitors and the like. Authority never bows to the obedient. This is civil disobedience and civil disobedience works. Yes it irritates some, yes it alienates some but in the end, it may just work.

I hope they don't so that a local person with a nose for business opportunities and a better understanding of the role of civil disobedience in nascent political movements opens a place with loads of big fat TV's showing every game.

I'm all for the right to protest and agree with the historical perspective offered. Where we probably disagree is the time/place and venue for the protest. Ghandi did not pull up in his $108,000 Mercedes to his private parking spot outside a billion dollar stadium, walk into his tastefully appointed locker room to put on the uniform left in his locker by an attendant, stroll out into a stadium filled with paying customers and take a knee on fake grass infused with shredded tennis balls and crested to account for proper drainage with a team of highly paid physicians nearby to tend to his every need as needed. True, Ghandi didn't have to deftly sidestep 350 pound men trying to de-toga him, but I guess that's the trade off.

Love this post, especially the signoff! Good Day Sir!

I'm all for the right to protest and agree with the historical perspective offered. Where we probably disagree is the time/place and venue for the protest. Ghandi did not pull up in his $108,000 Mercedes to his private parking spot outside a billion dollar stadium, walk into his tastefully appointed locker room to put on the uniform left in his locker by an attendant, stroll out into a stadium filled with paying customers and take a knee on fake grass infused with shredded tennis balls and crested to account for proper drainage with a team of highly paid physicians nearby to tend to his every need as needed. True, Ghandi didn't have to deftly sidestep 350 pound men trying to de-toga him, but I guess that's the trade off.

I'm sorry, I simply don't understand this perspective. What does the fact that Kaepernick and the other players are highly paid have to do with the legitimacy of their protest? Does the fact that they are comparatively well off mean that they don't have the right to protest injustice? Can you explain why that should be the case? And surely you understand that they are not protesting their own situations so much as the perceived plight of black people in general, right? Isn't it admirable that people who have been wildly successful (and therefore have much to lose) would put that success on the line to support less fortunate members of their community (whether you agree with them on the underlying issue or not)?

Fist paragraph was pure gold.

Second one was okay.

Third one sounded over emotional.

Sign off/Mike drop = excellent.

It's silly. most will be back and will need to but everything again.

I have no issue with the players kneeling. they aren't disrespecting the flag they are honoring it. People died to give us those freedoms. At times not enough people take a stand against injustice but yet when millionaires do people get upset and call them overpaid crybabies. They aren't kneeling for themselves. The only people actually feeling disrespected are the people who wrap themselves in the flag and yell "I am an American patriot". that is not patriotic at all.

This thread is hilarious. I might as well throw in my two cents on this one. I know I will be in the minority on this issue.

I don't get wrapped around the axle when they kneel because I know they are not disrespecting the country or the military. They are just trying to shed light on a problem in America. In fact I've read articles where vets don't mind protesters because they fought in wars to preserve that right here in America. In this case I think the protesters are showing their love for country because they are trying to improve the country.

Here is where I'm in the minority. I don't think the police should carry guns at all. If a gun situation arises, call in the swat team that is trained for that situation. I think a lot less people and police would be getting shot. Just my opinion, maybe it would work maybe it wouldn't. I formed this opinion because of an article I read about prison guards. They don't carry guns because they are surrounded by criminals and it would be unsafe. So why do police carry guns when they are surrounded by law abiding citizens? Doesn't make sense to me.

I'm sorry, I simply don't understand this perspective. What does the fact that Kaepernick and the other players are highly paid have to do with the legitimacy of their protest? Does the fact that they are comparatively well off mean that they don't have the right to protest injustice? Can you explain why that should be the case? And surely you understand that they are not protesting their own situations so much as the perceived plight of black people in general, right? Isn't it admirable that people who have been wildly successful (and therefore have much to lose) would put that success on the line to support less fortunate members of their community (whether you agree with them on the underlying issue or not)?

sure, I'd be glad to offer my perspective, understanding that yours might be different. here's what I wrote that should answer your question:

I'm all for the right to protest and agree with the historical perspective offered... Where we probably disagree is the time/place and venue for the protest.

As for admirable protesting, no, I don't think it's particularly admirable for professional athletes to protest at work, or for that matter, I don't expect the Walmart greeter to hand me fliers in the aisle, nor my dentist to talk to me about the needs for whitey to band together when I'm getting my choppers cleaned. To be blunt--I think it's an insult to Ghandi, Rosa Parks, Jackie Robinson and MLK to compare the two. Take all this stuff outside, I feel (mostly) different.

One step further. I differentiate between protestors. I feel it's my right as an American. I'm perfectly comfortable thinking CK is an insufferable jacka$$ for cops are pigs, and tossing on mighty t shirts you buy at a retro clothing shop of famous revolutionaries and el presidentes who likely would ask him "Hey, dude, ain't you worth like $20 m, wtf are you doing here?". That's just me though.