McDermott: Not Enough Separation from the Bills' WRs

26CornerBlitz

I often feel this message board is some kind of secret government psychological experiment. The way some posters read or hear something then conclude something from that is really fascinating. It is like the pass-it-on game. Wonderful fun sometimes....completely off base....but wonderful fun nonetheless.

HAHAH

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jordan Matthews is 100% correct. He doesn't have to SAY that running zone coverage is easier for opponents defensive backs for anyone to know that is true. Keeps coming back to the same point that Taylor just isn't confident enough to "throw" his receivers open. I would expect every team we face this season to run zone coverages and put 8-9 guys in the box to defend the run. Why wouldn't you do that, until it starts to beat you?

Jordan Matthews is 100% correct. He doesn't have to SAY that running zone coverage is easier for opponents defensive backs for anyone to know that is true. Keeps coming back to the same point that Taylor just isn't confident enough to "throw" his receivers open. I would expect every team we face this season to run zone coverages and put 8-9 guys in the box to defend the run. Why wouldn't you do that, until it starts to beat you?

because some coaches are to proud/cocky to do something that will work vs their style of defense.

Really hoping it doesn't turn into Rexs abomination of defense on offense but they have essentially done the same thing.

It's unfortunate because the offense really was a solid unit the past couple years despite the people on this board who constantly throw Tyrod under the bus.

It would be nice if this franchise didn't constantly !@#$ up good things.

This

Who'dAthunk it! A bad WR group struggles to get separation!

And that.

@SPECNewsROC

McDermott acknowledged the #Bills' wideouts haven't done well winning individual battles during the first two games.

http://www.twcnews.com/nys/rochester/sports/2017/09/20/buffalo-bills-denver-broncos-sean-mcdermott-wide-receivers-.html

@JonScottTV

Jordan Matthews with some interesting comments regarding the WR criticism. #Bills

https://twitter.com/i/videos/tweet/910601730827718657

So what he specifically said was - twice - "we have to work on ...."

What do you think he would say if you asked him if there were any areas at all that they didn't have to work on in any offensive or defensive area? Exactly. He'd say we have to work on everything. That's what all coaches say, and for good reason. You work on areas of weakness, but you also work on areas of strength. You constantly work on your whole game, from fundamentals to arcane details.

I don't see anything much there.

Edited by Thurman#1

This, exactly. I'm tired of Dennison. He is AWFUL.

We have a terrible game plan that is clear to the defense, plus a sub-par QB, and one to two above average WR's (Matthews and Zay) and average WR's (Holmes, Tate). We don't have an all-star, but you shouldn't need a game-braking all-star WR to put up points when you have Shady, IMo. You need a decent QB and game plan.

this. TT's biggest weakness is that he refuses to throw with anticipation and to give his guys the chance to win jump balls. Put TT on Dallas and Dez is just another WR. Put him on Arizona, and Larry Fitz would get 0 catches.

It's funny how every year it's the OC's fault that the passing game sucks. Then the next year they bring in a new OC and we fail again and it's the new OC's fault. Year after year.

Weird coincidence.

Edited by Thurman#1

It's funny how every year it's the OC's fault that the passing game sucks. Then the next year they bring in a new OC and we fail again and it's the new OC's fault. Year after year.

Weird coincidence.

Not a coincidence when you are bad at hiring people to run your team. It's incompetence, not coincidence.

1. Jordan Matthews, Zay Jones, Andre Holmes, and Brandon Tate; are still better than:

2. Marquise Goodwin, Justin Hunter, Walt Powell, and Brandon Tate.

They're both crap. But Group #1 is better overall IMO.

The Bills were able to produce 25 points with group #2 @ Miami last season with Shady injuring himself and rushing for 11yds that game.

A. Lynn >>>>>>> Dennison. The end.

Any given week will have ups and downs as 1-2 explosive plays can really impact the score... but the WR group being weak and struggling to gain separation is totally expected. Some week say will get that catch and maybe another and it'll look hopeful but on a whole I don't think we have the talent to do it week in and week out (even healthy yet alone when injury strikes)

Weird coincidence.

i don't know if you've noticed, but the run game has also suffered, drastically.

@SPECNewsROC

McDermott acknowledged the #Bills' wideouts haven't done well winning individual battles during the first two games.

http://www.twcnews.com/nys/rochester/sports/2017/09/20/buffalo-bills-denver-broncos-sean-mcdermott-wide-receivers-.html

@JonScottTV

Jordan Matthews with some interesting comments regarding the WR criticism. #Bills

They trade/let-walk their best receivers and wonder why the B league or rookie players they have left can't get separation. Yikes.

They trade/let-walk their best receivers and wonder why the B league or rookie players they have left can't get separation. Yikes.

He just said in his presser this morning that Brandon Tate can stretch the field. You know, they guy he deactivated for Kaelin Clay last week. :cry:

To me this has more to do with play calling than player execution. Once Buffalo decided they should let Taylor throw the ball on first down they moved the football. I understand with the teams strength they can not abandon the run however, they need to do a better job of keeping the defenses guessing. This week will be interesting to see into coach Mcdermott's philosophy. I want to see them open up the offense but I expect they are going to use a similar game plan as to the one that was used vs Carolina.

I often feel this message board is some kind of secret government psychological experiment. The way some posters read or hear something then conclude something from that is really fascinating. It is like the pass-it-on game. Wonderful fun sometimes....completely off base....but wonderful fun nonetheless.

Dude. You just totally blew my mind.... :huh:

@SPECNewsROC

@JonScottTV

Also, in other news the sun rises in the east and sets in the west.

I just wish they would act like they know what it is a evaluation year. I think most Bills fans can accept a crap win year if they are seeing the entire playbooks on Sunday (wait no they wont what am i saying)

Do you honestly think that if the team came out and said "We're going to spend the next year evaluating everything, and will probably only get about 3 wins," that most posters here would change what they think and write?

I swear some of you treat this team like it's a girlfriend.

"I love you, baby, but I just wish you'd be honest with me. I've been hurt before, baby, and my emotions are raw, and I just need to know the truth so I don't look like a fool. I just can't handle another night of you banging another guy, unless you'll just be straight and tell me that's what you're doing. I still won't like it, but at least I know you're being honest with me."

Do you honestly think that if the team came out and said "We're going to spend the next year evaluating everything, and will probably only get about 3 wins," that most posters here would change what they think and write?

I swear some of you treat this team like it's a girlfriend.

"I love you, baby, but I just wish you'd be honest with me. I've been hurt before, baby, and my emotions are raw, and I just need to know the truth so I don't look like a fool. I just can't handle another night of you banging another guy, unless you'll just be straight and tell me that's what you're doing. I still won't like it, but at least I know you're being honest with me."

:lol::lol::lol:

Interesting analogy.

If the Bills team is Bills fans' girlfriend, then Bills fans are Ray Rice :D

I don't like this. We saw on the All22 that WRs were open against the zone. They need to given a chance to make plays.

I agree with this 100%...sure the whole offense played like crap, but Tyrod is the leader of the offense, and to me it was he who left plays on the field...and I'm getting tired of hearing coaches throw everyone under the bus EXCEPT suspect #1- the QB...why don't you ever hear coaches say their QB needs to keep his eyes down field more, get rid of the ball on time, and hit his open receivers? They act like there is no elephant in the room.

Edited by JaCrispy

I agree with 100%...sure the whole offense played like crap, but to me it was Tyrod who left plays on the field...and I'm getting tired of hearing coaches throw everyone under the bus EXCEPT suspect #1- the QB...why don't you ever hear coaches say their QB needs to keep his eyes down field more, get rid of the ball on time, and hit his open receivers? They act like there is no elephant in the room.

Same issue for 2+ years now...guys sit wide open adn Tyrod doesn't see them or he could throw them wide open and won't do it.

By Conor Orr

Around The NFL Writer

After watching both Bills games this season, I've come away thinking that Matthews is a more practical fit for the improvisational Taylor, as are the rest of Buffalo's remaining receivers. When he becomes engrained in this offense, it will start to diversify.

While the run game is their absolute strength, it becomes a detriment when the team is consistently plowing into a brick wall of eight or nine defenders on every play.

Mathews is good. When given the chance he will make a play on the ball. When his contract is up and the bills don't want to pay, he will go somewhere with a real QB and be a player. Tyrod needs to start trusting his WRs and let these guys make plays. Every good QB does this all the time. It's not a huge deal, it's only Tyrods 7th year in the league and he has only had the same issues for his entire time as a starter. I'm sure it's just a matter of time here before he figures it out. We just got to give this guy 4 or 5 more seasons. By then he will probably realize that most decent WRs will make plays on almost any corner. I'm sure that day is coming....

I don't like this. We saw on the All22 that WRs were open against the zone. They need to given a chance to make plays.

of course they were, but the narrative here is that they suck.

Matthews has caught as WR 1 in Philadelphia, 85 passes from Bradford & Sanchez in 2015 and 73 passes from rookie Wentz in 2016. Granted, the total yardage could be better (11.7 YPR), but the guy can and does get open. it's just a matter of throwing him the ball.

Everything is so predictable, why not try different players. The defenses key on Clay, try Logan big target unexpected. Try any w/o they never heard of, nothing to lose, keep rotating. We can find the match up, but we have to take chances, let Tyrod move and buy time, line is not going to hold up. Von Miller will have have a Buffalo zip code if Mills has to block him alone. Our D can ruin Denvers offenses day!

Well that's usually what happens when you have a rookie and a bunch of cast offs. This organization remains a joke until proven otherwise, the trade of Sammy is just unthinkable. Please spare the 'something for nothing' argument. We should have extended his rookie option and kept him a bill as long as possible. I feel bad for the QB savior we attempt to draft with this wr core... it could be the second coming of Jim Kelly and he will struggle mightily.

of course they were, but the narrative here is that they suck.

Matthews has caught as WR 1 in Philadelphia, 85 passes from Bradford & Sanchez in 2015 and 73 passes from rookie Wentz in 2016. Granted, the total yardage could be better (11.7 YPR), but the guy can and does get open. it's just a matter of throwing him the ball.

He was never their #1 target.