McDermott's clapping really ticks me off

Do you like his sideline mannerisms?

I appreciate his intensity and it seems sincere, but I cannot get over when he claps adamantly when there is a 3 and out, a defensive collapse or even something positive. It is the same robotic motion every time.

This thread is ridiculous, I know. But it really pisses me off to see how eager he is to greet his players to the sideline when the just blew a big opportunity.

It's up there with:

Marrones blank stare

Todd Bowles **** eating grin

Carrols gum smacking confusion

Looks like he might have cracked my top three...

Edited by EmotionallyUnstable

I appreciate his intensity and it seems sincere, but I cannot get over when he claps adamantly when there is a 3 and out, a defensive collapse or even something positive. It is the same robotic motion every time.

This thread is ridiculous, I know. But it really pisses me off to see how eager he is to greet his players to the sideline when the just blew a big opportunity.

It's up there with:

Marrones blank stare

Really. The nerve of that guy clapping for his D when they forced the Panthers to 3 when they had 1st and goal at the one.

Agreed! it actually really annoys me. If you clap once in a while to motivate when things go wrong i get that, but to do it after every negative play just gets redundant

This is where I am.

Watching him clap for his guys running off after a terrible three and out is concerning. Maybe I am different, as some have mentioned, but a constructive response doesn't necessarily need

ALWAYS be met with a hip hip hooray.

He's trying to lift their spirits to perform better rather than chew them out. It's a style of coaching.

I like it. You don't. Whatever.

True. It is my opinion.

Maybe it's my experience in my profession where awarding effort and not results leads to an overinflated sense of success that leads to complacency? Who knows. I am cherry picking here, I realize that. But sideline demeanor is something that jumps out at me on screen and I can't ignore it

Agreed! it actually really annoys me. If you clap once in a while to motivate when things go wrong i get that, but to do it after every negative play just gets redundant

I know what the OP is talking about.

It's creepy because he does it ALWAYS, including many times when it is not warranted as a part of "go team go" schtick that is a sort of religion. You get that same sort of crap in the corporate world.

I have heard McDermott speak enough now and observed him enough to know that he is more "traditional football coaching robot" and much less "unique, interesting, critical thinking individual" than I had hoped for.

He is not going to break any coaching molds in Buffalo or be a pathfinder to some revolutionary new approach to the game.

Doesn't mean he can't be an effective HC though, and the jury is still very much out on that. I'm happy to give them time to show they are good.

It's up there with:

Marrones blank stare

I'm more worried about our inept QB than the head coaches clapping. Sorry

You nailed it. This thread is ridiculous.

The amount of nitpicking over what our players and coaches do has become pathetic.

Can you believe he wore a long sleeve shirt in Carolina? Fire him. Now.

As part of a larger theme focusing on what we all think of McDermott as the new HC at this early stage in his career in Buffalo, it's an interesting enough topic.

More than just silly nitpicking here IMO.

Really. The nerve of that guy clapping for his D when they forced the Panthers to 3 when they had 1st and goal at the one.

No... I made a comment in the gameday thread twice. He was clapping when our offense was 3rd and 6 and we passed for 2 yards. I seen him do that a couple times. You don't give good job guys claps when you cant get a first down.

Probably being on the field it helps.

But as viewer...seeing a head coach so happy for his defense as his offense is a walking embarassement is a little embarrassing for him.

Keep clapping little buddy!

Ever think the clapping is 100% genuine and sincere? He's been preaching about everyone buying in and culture. So maybe, just maybe this is his way he shows enthusiasm. The players coming off the field seem to enjoy the high fives and clapping so why is it such an issue with our fans?

No... I made a comment in the gameday thread twice. He was clapping when our offense was 3rd and 6 and we passed for 2 yards. I seen him do that a couple times. You don't give good job guys claps when you cant get a first down.

There are a ton of meatheads at this forum who have no ability to perceive nuance in any aspect of their lives, including the Buffalo Bills and/or the mannerisms of the Bills HC.

Just ignore them.

Ever think the clapping is 100% genuine and sincere? He's been preaching about everyone buying in and culture. So maybe, just maybe this is his way he shows enthusiasm. The players coming off the field seem to enjoy the high fives and clapping so why is it such an issue with our fans?

Can't speak for others. But let's say it isn't authentic like you suggest...that's weak. Not a fan of inauthentic emotion. Optics just aren't good as your offense hops into their time machine and takes us back to the 1940s

I think it is more of a habit personally. Maybe a nervous habit when things go wrong. Who knows

Had we scored at the end to pull out a win, I'll bet it might have been less annoying. I'll stick to major problems, then work down the list. I'm putting this waaaaaay down the list..... And if he wins? I'll learn to love it!

I can see the old "that's OK, we'll get 'me next time! This thing isn't over yet! We'll get this!" Clap.

Can't speak for others. But let's say it isn't authentic like you suggest...that's weak. Not a fan of inauthentic emotion. Optics just aren't good as your offense hops into their time machine and takes us back to the 1940s

If it's not authentic I'm on board with you. I hate fake leaders who show fake emotion.

The offense did suck though.

He is trying to remain positive and upbeat. This is starting to get ridiculous. I cant wait til we finally get a franchise qb (hopefully next year) so we can stop seeing stuff like this

It still pisses me off that Pete Carrol smacks his gum and yells at refs at phantom penalties that he thinks should be made. It's an aspect of the game I noticed. Does it have an impact on the out come of the game? Probably not. Does it say something about his personality and demeanor? Absolutely. Since we are so focused on building a culture, I think sideline actions and behavior to be equally important. If you want to beat a dead horse about TT or lack of positional strength, look at another thread.

It still pisses me off that Pete Carrol smacks his gum and yells at refs at phantom penalties that he thinks should be made. It's an aspect of the game I noticed. Does it have an impact on the out come of the game? Probably not. Does it say something about his personality and demeanor? Absolutely. Since we are so focused on building a culture, I think sideline actions and behavior to be equally important. If you want to beat a dead horse about TT or lack of positional strength, look at another thread.

So again if his demeanor and personality are sincere and that clapping is something he believes it helps and encourages and motivates his guys then really what's the problem?