Zay Jones drops huge catch. <radio edit>

r00tabaga

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wtf?

He makes the catch and gets out of bounds there is 9 seconds left with 1st and goal from the 4.

Thats why the Smash concept was called. If you cant turn it up to get in get out of bounds.

They also had a TO in pocket so if tackled immediately call TO still have shots.

But hey no just ran the wrong route thats easier than understanding gameflow

Uhhhh we had another timeout

Yeah and if can save it by getting OB after the Corner (if cant get in) leaves run pass option from the 4 with a TO in pocket

He makes the catch and gets out of bounds there is 9 seconds left with 1st and goal from the 4.

Thats why the Smash concept was called. If you cant turn it up to get in get out of bounds.

They also had a TO in pocket so if tackled immediately call TO still have shots.

Based on recent history, its no sure thing McDermott calls the TO.

Yeah and if can save it by getting OB after the Corner (if cant get in) leaves run pass option from the 4 with a TO in pocket

Watching you go out of your way to defend your point is very entertaining. Move on. Tyrod didn't even play well today, it is bizarre that are you so intent on proving something you can't possibly know. If you would take your blinders off for a minute you would admit there was some kind of miscommunication, Zay got his hands on it, it should have been a catch. I am waiting for the All-22 to judge Tyrod in this game.

Zay was clearly lookin for the ball over his right shoulder, meaning that he probably was doin what a smart rookie should do, look to get out of bounds as fast as possible. of course the placement of the ball was left shoulder so he twists and contorts and stumbles his way to a ball that glances offa his fingertips while hes completely stretched out. its possible he ran the wrong route, its possible he looked over the wrong shoulder, its also extremely possible that his QB who doesnt throw guys open or hit them in stride, or throw the ball where its supposed to be on a regular basis blew the pass.

either way, we dont know, only Zay, Tyrod, and the coaches know. Thinking that Zay admitted it was his fault actually means it was his fault is naive, no WR throws his QB under the buss, especially a rookie.

thinking that this one play that was fouled up (possibly) by a rookie WR shows that Taylor isnt a bad QB is also naive.

I don't think anyone's comparing it to OBJ catches, Certainly not David Tyree. I certainly never said it was a circus catch. But reducing it to a routine catch is misguided IMO. I see guys drop that. All. The. Time.

I didn't say it was a routine catch. I said it wasn't a circus catch.

Bit time players may big plays at the right time. TYrod threw an inaccurate pass at the worst possible time. TT is a backup QB who can come in as a change of pace player. He is not an elite QB and never will be as much as we might wish for this to happen.

I hope he's more than bit time or next time he won't make the play. :cry:

I've watched the reply 25 times.

I can't figure out where Zay was heading after he made his cut to get open.

Looks like he was headed out of bounds, then he turned to the ball and recovered.

Looks like Tyrod split the 2 defensive backs with his throw.

People complain that Tyrod can't throw to an area and has to have the receiver,

stop, look back, and wave his arms...............

Well this was a case where Tyrod anticipated where Zay should have been

and threw the ball to the widest open area.

Can't say I blame Tyrod on that throw, because it looked like Zay ran a crazy route.

Watching you go out of your way to defend your point is very entertaining. Move on. Tyrod didn't even play well today, it is bizarre that are you so intent on proving something you can't possibly know. If you would take your blinders off for a minute you would admit there was some kind of miscommunication, Zay got his hands on it, it should have been a catch. I am waiting for the All-22 to judge Tyrod in this game.

Where anywhere in that post that you quoted had ANYTHING to do with me saying TT played bad or made a bad throw. That will be very entertaining.

The excuses for TT are crazy. NO pressure and a WIDE OPEN receiver, it was a BAD THROW, a clutch QB makes that throw. I dont care who the ball was thrown to, it was HOT GARBAGE. His whole game was a joke today.

No offense, but you either haven't REALLY watched the play or don't know what you are looking at.

Its clear as day to poor cut ZJ made that cost him his balance and he turned to look for the ball LATE. When ZJ stumbles the ball is in the air. Had ZJ made a CLEAN cut on the route and got his head around he not only catches the ball but on his feet as he steps into the endzone.

NOW...that being said, this ONE play isn't why we lost. The Offense, and that includes not only TT but the guys who dropped passes, the bad play calling, the bad clock management, the missed holes in the run game, the poor OL play, etc as a whole that was all bad and cost us this game. Everyone had a bad week this week on the offense, including our coaches.

You don't look to go out of bounds at the four yard line instead of walking in untouched for a touchdown. He knew no one was near him. Come on.

entirely possible Zay didnt know where the safety was and thought he might get tackled if he turned up field. lot of variables for a rookie to worry about in the spot.

Where anywhere in that post that you quoted had ANYTHING to do with me saying TT played bad or made a bad throw. That will be very entertaining.

Why do you resort to these kinds of tactics Bobby? You have multiple posts criticizing Tyrod for making an awful throw. Don't treat me like I'm stupid.

There has to be at least some fault on both Taylor and Jones. I think there is more on Jones and would put a 75% Jones - 25% Taylor ratio of fault on it.

It seems like Jones probably ran a little different of a route than was called for, and also that Taylor overthrew the ball a bit. We don't have a way to know where Taylor's throw would have been in relationship to Jones had he ran a correct route, so that is tough to judge.

Regardless, I tend to stick to a general rule that if the football hit the WR's hands, then the QB likely did his job and the WR did not where the result is an incomplete pass.

You don't look to go out of bounds at the four yard line instead of walking in untouched for a touchdown. He knew no one was near him. Come on.

Thank You. This has really turned into some kind of bizarro world

I've watched the reply 25 times.

I can't figure out where Zay was heading after he made his cut to get open.

Looks like he was headed out of bounds, then he turned to the ball and recovered.

Looks like Tyrod split the 2 defensive backs with his throw.

People complain that Tyrod can't throw to an area and has to have the receiver,

stop, look back, and wave his arms...............

Well this was a case where Tyrod anticipated where Zay should have been

and threw the ball to the widest open area.

Can't say I blame Tyrod on that throw, because it looked like Zay ran a crazy route.

THIS 100000%.

Again, doesn't excuse all the offensive woes throughout the game, but that was a great pass that ZJ just didn't come through on either the route or the late adjustment to make the play.

That was all TT's fault.. just an inaccurate throw IMO

Zay had already made his cut way before TT threw it.

Zay could of run a little better route.. but Jones had made his break and had trajectory before TT released the ball

Edited by ddaryl

Why do you resort to these kinds of tactics Bobby? You have multiple posts criticizing Tyrod for making an awful throw. Don't treat me like I'm stupid.

Dont treat me like i am stupid. I quoted why would a route like that be run and explained a smash concept and why that type of concept would he called there. I mean jesus i can talk about a couple things at once.

I think everyone is on to your schtick. It's old and tiring. You apologized to everyone months ago and promised to saddle it in. Promises, promises.

I think everyone is on to your schtick. It's old and tiring. You apologized to everyone months ago and promised to saddle it in. Promises, promises.

Hey look your back dude i am married

And actually it was a year ago.

Now back to why a smash concept was called there that had nothing to do with TT

Edited by MAJBobby

No offense, you've completely gone off the rails dude. The play was to the endzone and its clear as day. ZJ stumbles on his cut and gets his head around way late after getting his balance back and is slightly off position and because he is late he has to try and make a tough catch.

All this other mumbo jumbo you are spitting is just off base. First, a Smash Concept requires the WR to read and cut based on the DBs and where the Safety was, the absolute mandated cut is to exactly where TT threw the ball. The QB also throws based on the same read, he knows where the WR should be going based on the same read and throws the ball to that spot. Its up to the receiver to make sure they are in that spot to catch the pass.

So even if you want to argue the Smash Concept, it actually further puts the blame on ZJ in the first place. You ONLY cut that shallow to create space from the deep Safety. The safety was behind on the play with a clear path to the end zone wide open. So, in your argument, ZJ would have run the wrong route in the first place if he intentionally cut that shallow on a Smash Concept.

Again, I don't feel he intentionally went that sharp as he clearly stumbles on the cut and the regaining of his balance took him slightly off and forced him to make a last adjustment as he got his head around way too late.

No offense, you've completely gone off the rails dude. The play was to the endzone and its clear as day. ZJ stumbles on his cut and gets his head around way late after getting his balance back and is slightly off position and because he is late he has to try and make a tough catch.

All this other mumbo jumbo you are spitting is just off base. First, a Smash Concept requires the WR to read and cut based on the DBs and where the Safety was, the absolute mandated cut is to exactly where TT threw the ball. The QB also throws based on the same read, he knows where the WR should be going based on the same read and throws the ball to that spot. Its up to the receiver to make sure they are in that spot to catch the pass.

So even if you want to argue the Smash Concept, it actually further puts the blame on ZJ in the first place. You ONLY cut that shallow to create space from the deep Safety. The safety was behind on the play with a clear path to the end zone wide open. So, in your argument, ZJ would have run the wrong route in the first place if he intentionally cut that shallow on a Smash Concept.

Again, I don't feel he intentionally went that sharp as he clearly stumbles on the cut and the regaining of his balance took him slightly off and forced him to make a last adjustment as he got his head around way too late.

There is zero doubt that he caused the stumble himself and not adjusting to the pass.

I agree with that. The stumble likely shortened the route. It was a smash / corner concept whatever you want to call it. And the reason that is called is the exact reason I said

If he cant turn it up to the endzone can carry Ob and save the TO.

Shady was on the outside and ran a stop route. Zay ran a corner behind it and the DB has to make a decision. DB went with Shady, therefore the play was Zay which is what Tyrod did. I would assume the throw was suppose to go to the pile on in the endzone which is where Zay was running. Pass was way inside and IMO Zay made Tyrods throw look better than it really was. No way any QB is taught to throw that ball anywhere close to that safety with inside coverage. Terrible, terrible throw by Tyrod.

I agree with that. The stumble likely shortened the route. It was a smash / corner concept whatever you want to call it. And the reason that is called is the exact reason I said

If he cant turn it up to the endzone can carry Ob and save the TO.

Had he not stumbled he would have been running and catching the pass and stepped in the endzone. The only reason it was a diving out stretched catch attempt was because ZJ took himself off route slightly on the stumbled cut. Had he cut clean and tracked the ball he catches that right on the numbers walking into the endzone for the win.

It was a perfectly thrown ball by TT, remember ball is in the air on the cut going to where ZJ should be. Unfortunately, ZJ slightly tripped himself up just enough to get him out of position enough to make that a hard catch to make.

I dont excuse TT and the offense for the rest of the game, but on this play ZJ was the one who didn't execute cleanly and cost us the chance to win. NFL is a game of inches, and that small stumble was just enough to get him out of position.

I am more concerned by the play calling, the drops, the OL, the clock management, TT execution, no running lanes, etc that plagued us all day. I wish it was one play we could pin this loss on, but it was a total offensive suck fest from top to bottom.

Terrible, terrible throw by Tyrod.

Just because you say it is doesn't mean it was. Many on Twitter who have video proof and even Zay himself said it was a good throw and he should have come down with it.

So, was it Fitz fault Stevie dropped the GW catch vs Pitt? You haters are looking real bad tonight.

Edited by r00tabaga

THIS 100000%.

Again, doesn't excuse all the offensive woes throughout the game, but that was a great pass that ZJ just didn't come through on either the route or the late adjustment to make the play.

Calling that pass great is just awful, I'm sorry.

On no planet is that a great pass

Just because you say it is doesn't mean it was. Many on Twitter who have video proof and even Zay himself said it was a good throw and he should have come down with it.

So, was it Fitz fault Stevie dropped the GW catch vs Pitt? You haters are looking real bad tonight.

I think you have it wrong.

The ones who look bad are TT and the ones who keep excusing TT and his play over and over again.

Last week it was Clays fault on the interception, this week it's Zays fault on this play. Tyrod makes some good throws but he is an inaccurate passer overall. That's a fact. Plus the offense was pathetic most of the day and he has the ball in his hand every play. He's the best we got but he ain't good enough.

Last week it was Clays fault on the interception, this week it's Zays fault on this play. Tyrod makes some good throws but he is an inaccurate passer overall. That's a fact. Plus the offense was pathetic most of the day and he has the ball in his hand every play. He's the best we got but he ain't good enough.

This disturbing pattern has been going on for quite some time now, and it's a bit puzzling, as well.

I have theories, but I just don't get it personally because I would rather roll the dice than to stick with a proven failure.

This disturbing pattern has been going on for quite some time now, and it's a bit puzzling, as well.

I have theories, but I just don't get it personally because I would rather roll the dice than to stick with a proven failure.

I love how you put absolutely NO blame on Zay. You NNN's never find any fault with anyone but TT.

You say THE SAME THING EVERY POST. WE KNOW HOW YOU FEEL. Let the big kids discuss this topic. You got school tomorrow. Go to bed.

Edited by r00tabaga