Oh Marcell

billsfan_34

People act as if the Bills' D was gashed today.

All while wearing his Captain's hat.

Just as long as he wears it at the correct angle relative to the plane of his eyebrows. Committing a fashion faux pas while going 5-on-1 in an NFL game is just unacceptable.

In fact, I have no faith that the lazy fat slob will wear his hat correctly. Cut his unmotivated ass now, cap hit be damned.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool so he can choose when ever he wants to play to the level of his contract or not.

Thats a good way not to be on the team.

What does this even mean? He was the sole focus of their blocking scheme all game long. A dominant DT can be dominant without showing up in the stat sheet. Not saying he dominated today, but if he was left one on one, I still have no doubt he would have.

Ah tough guy behind the keyboard syndrome- cool story bro. I think I did watch the game- in the stadium ya douche. Now make me a sammy

As did I. Third row behind the bench. He was excellent at covering his gaps. Took up two blockers almost every snap. Not saying he couldn't play better, but he's so talented that he's really great even when he's on cruise control.

You'll never win the name-calling game against me you mouth-breather, so don't bother. But do yourself a favour and rewatch the game and speak with someone who knows football before you post.

I tend to think how a player looks from week to week has a lot to do with the scheme being used. The scheme they used today was designed to be good enough to beat the Jets and probably also not to show much about exotic packages. So Dareus probably was doing about what he was told to do.

That said there was no reason for the D line not to exert itself. None of the starting four was very visible. Again, it could by design, that they were supposed to keep the Jets' O linemen from getting onto our LBs, so they just did that.

There are games within the games, and there is no way we civilians are going to know whether a guy was failing to accomplish his assignments.

For $100 million he should be able to shed blocks while being quintuple teamed by the offensive line. 5-on-1 is no excuse for not succeeding for $100 million. Or something.

Lol

William Wallace is seven feet tall. And if he were here, he'd consume the English with fireballs from his eyes. And bolts of lightning from his arse.

It's one frickin game.

I wouldn't get attached to defending Dareus too much. I don't think he will be here next season. This staff and front office isn't playing around. Dareus wasn't Dareus today and it was pretty obvious. He makes roughly 10 million per game. When you make that kind of money you don't just go through the motions. Plenty of hungry guys out there that can play their hearts out for a lot less money. Yeah, Yeah, I get it... he is one of the best tackles in the league. Problem is its only when he feels like it. So far, he doesn't feel like it. It's almost as if Mario trained him.

I wouldn't get attached to defending Dareus too much. I don't think he will be here next season. This staff and front office isn't playing around. Dareus wasn't Dareus today and it was pretty obvious. He makes roughly 10 million per game. When you make that kind of money you don't just go through the motions. Plenty of hungry guys out there that can play their hearts out for a lot less money. Yeah, Yeah, I get it... he is one of the best tackles in the league. Problem is its only when he feels like it. So far, he doesn't feel like it. It's almost as if Mario trained him.

K

There's a lot of people on this board that need to learn more about football. I attribute this to the rise in fantasy and hot takes.

Marcell played a good game. I'm sure there are some plays he could have done more, but it appeared to me that his role today was to eat space and shut down the run. The defense did a great job of that today.

I know it's just the Jets which is why I wouldn't derive many conclusions either way. But to say Dareus was poor today is very incorrect.

My god. The jets had 214 yards, 3.9 ypp, and a 56.2 passer rating. Focus on the postive. Dareus was fine. He was totally stout on running plays.

One would almost think that the Bills defense was playing the run and daring Josh "HoF" McCown to beat them through the air.

He didn't look dominant but he didn't look bad, he definitely was productive but needs to take it up a notch against better offenses. Rush defense was very stout up the middle and he was a big part of that. There seemed to be pressure coming from the middle at times and there wasn't a clean pocket consistently.

I hope he plays better but he wasn't bad at all out there in fact he was pretty good. Not much to complain about from the defense.

If he made 10 million per game he would be getting paid 160 million per-season.

He didn't play bad. Did he play up to his contract? No, but who could? Maybe the Bills should sign Aaron Donald to that contract instead. That's a guy that works his butt off and is a superior athlete deserving of the big bucks

Yup. And while they're at it, sign Brady, Rodgers, Watt and Mack Edited by QB Bills

As did I. Third row behind the bench. He was excellent at covering his gaps. Took up two blockers almost every snap. Not saying he couldn't play better, but he's so talented that he's really great even when he's on cruise control.

You'll never win the name-calling game against me you mouth-breather, so don't bother. But do yourself a favour and rewatch the game and speak with someone who knows football before you post.

Wow! Aren't you special, sitting 3 rows behind the bench and all. Sounds like the worst spot to have any perspective on how a player on the D line did. Unless you are a know it all with x-ray vision. Congrats on that!

None of us know what the game plan for the dline was today. It looks like there was some attempt to rush four only and make sure they were gap conscientious while pushing the pocket. It was almost always a four on five and even four on six scenario. They played the bend but don't break cover three and cover four on the back end and were allowing McCown to try and beat them.

I admit, this is boring to watch, but if you have been a fan for any time, you will remember the Bills of old used to play a similar bend but don't break defense themselves. I am not defending the fact that the pash rush could have been better at times on third downs, but there seemed to be a plan in place. We will see as we move forward if this was just a premonition or not.

Edited by ajmac

Our offense last year put up a lot of yards and points.

Go Mills! Sign him to a long-term deal. Your logic is clearly undeniable.

Ouch!

True. My apologies OP.

Having said that, I disagree with your assessment of his play. I think he was solid. Not spectacular though.

Apology accepted- can we agree that solid isnt enough with his talent set and HUGE contract?

Go to LA if you want Sammy.

That was STOOOOOOPID

i'm no fan of dareus.....but

was at the game not paying attention to him, so last night rewatched dareus isolated via game pass.

he was NOT used as a "penetrating DT" in the entire first half......that's not his fault....that's coaching.

and on most 3rd downs he was taken off field, so he wasn't able to make an "impact" sack or tackle for loss.

he held his point of attack vs run, mostly lined up over center. he was chipped by a second blocker on a lot of plays.

he did NOT have a "bad" game.

Marcell played a good game. I'm sure there are some plays he could have done more, but it appeared to me that his role today was to eat space and shut down the run. The defense did a great job of that today.

I know it's just the Jets which is why I wouldn't derive many conclusions either way. But to say Dareus was poor today is very incorrect.

I think this is close to being correct. Easiest way to win the game against Josh McCown is to make him pass. Make them one-dimensional and attack him at that point.

Marcell didn't have a great game but he did what seemed to be asked of him. He's a 330 pound behemoth, I don't want to see him chasing plays down to the sideline.

The likelihood of him meeting the value of his contract is minimal, especially if they rotate at DT as much as they did yesterday. Dareus played 59% of snaps.

Sorry man I watched the whole game and there was no pressure on McCown. C'mon man. Only pressure I seen was K. Williams on 3 or 4 plays. I don't even think we registered a sack. We were good stopping the run but no QB pressure will kill against any above average QB.

No pressure on McCown? Our two interceptions were direct results of dline pressure forcing McCown to throw sloppy balls down the field.

The DL was solid and Hughes didn't do anything stupid today. Marcell was a space eater today. When the defense gets gouged and he is nonexistent then we can revisit the situation.

If you can't see this is a vast improvement from last year there's no hope.

I tend to think how a player looks from week to week has a lot to do with the scheme being used. The scheme they used today was designed to be good enough to beat the Jets and probably also not to show much about exotic packages. So Dareus probably was doing about what he was told to do.

That said there was no reason for the D line not to exert itself. None of the starting four was very visible. Again, it could by design, that they were supposed to keep the Jets' O linemen from getting onto our LBs, so they just did that.

There are games within the games, and there is no way we civilians are going to know whether a guy was failing to accomplish his assignments.

More logic!

With this new regime "cutting the fat", Marcel Dareus will have the bullseye on him all season.

Just like Stephon Gilmore had in 2016 during his contract year.

Let's be honest. At the $100 million we are paying Dareus (not to mention all the off-field headaches), fans are expecting more than a guy that occupies blockers and helps stuff the run. They are expecting dominance. They are expecting a guy that plays like a Top 5 DT in this league. They are expecting him to look like a Pro-Bowler. And I think those expectations are reasonable.

We saw that Dareus 3-4 years ago, before he got the big contract and Rex Ryan came to town. Since that point, he's been a solid player. But nothing special. (Just like Gilmore). At this point in his career, he's still the second best defensive tackle on the Bills - even with 34 year old Kyle Williams contemplating retirement.

He didn't look dominant but he didn't look bad, he definitely was productive but needs to take it up a notch against better offenses. Rush defense was very stout up the middle and he was a big part of that. There seemed to be pressure coming from the middle at times and there wasn't a clean pocket consistently.

I hope he plays better but he wasn't bad at all out there in fact he was pretty good. Not much to complain about from the defense.

If he made 10 million per game he would be getting paid 160 million per-season.

Don't know how that came out 10. Meant 1mil.