POLL: If TT can't play vs. Jets and Peterman looks "good".

Assuming TT's concussion keeps him out vs. Jets  

78 members have voted

1. 1. How well would Peterman have to play week 1 to keep starting over TT?

• Better than Tyrod in 2015 (QBR 99.4)
    • Better than Tyrod in 2016 (QBR 89.7)
    • Better than EJ in 2014 (QBR 80.4)
    • Better than EJ in 2013 (QBR 77.7)
    • Better than Peterman's 2017 preseason (QBR 71.4)
    • Better than Yates' 2017 preseason (QBR 60.3)
    • Better than Tyrod's 2017 preseason (QBR 27.9)
    • Peterman can play brutally - as long as they win, he keeps the job!

OK - so OBD says Taylor is still the starting QB.

But that obviously assumes he clears the concussion protocol and can get ready for the Jets game.

Hypothetical - suppose Tyrod can't play against the Jets and Peterman steps in for the win (against a bad team with a good defense).

How well would Peterman have to do to keep Tyrod on the bench for week 2 even if he's healthy?

IE - my title said "good" but how good does that have to be?

Edited by BobChalmers

Just be better than he was in preseason. Show improvement. That being said if taylor is healthy and is out of concussion protocol in time to prep for week two, then you sit Peterman and give your starter a chance to win his job back. If he can't do it, it's Peterman's team going forward. It's the only way to know what we have to do in the next phase of the rebuild (because that's what it is right now).

TT is not the Future.

Maybe Peterman is not the Future, maybe he is or maybe he is a future backup.

McD has to take the temperature of the Players he intends to keep and go from there. Does benching TT ruin the lockerroom? Does it just tick off guys McD doesn't intend to keep?

Unless NP has a Tuel- like melt down in the regular season game you ride with him.

Yes, I believe TT is and should be the starter. That said if he hasn't cleared protocol by Wednesday morning before the game, that's it. He's not starting for me, no way no how even if he clears Thursday or Friday. It's not like he is Brady. If Peterman wins, it's still Tyrod's. If Peterman wins and looks good or just better suited in game for the type of offense the Bills are running then I don't think you wreck a good thing...keep the kid in.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

To me if there is chemistry, momentum and winning with Peterman you keep that relationship fresh until it cannot overcome adversity. 1 loss is adversity but you give the relationship time to overcome that. So if Peterman looks in command; has chemistry with the players; and momentum is being built, ride until the wheels fall off.

If Peterman beats the Jets and looks okay, TT comes back as starter against Carolina. He has to lose his job.

If Peterman looks great against the Jets, like 3 TD's 275+ yards...I still think TT starts against Carolina but his leash is really short.

this is how I see it.

QBR is a joke! If he has to start week 1 against the NYJ, it's back to the bench as soon as Taylor is ready.

what if taylor stinks it up against carolina? not saying he will or wont but if he does, he should be sent to the bench.

If Peterman beats the Jets and looks okay, TT comes back as starter against Carolina. He has to lose his job.

If Peterman looks great against the Jets, like 3 TD's 275+ yards...I still think TT starts against Carolina but his leash is really short.

If you start Peterman, you trade TT and get him off this team period. You don't need the fanbase and locker room BS.

This is Taylor's team until he loses the job due to poor play, that simple.

Pretty sure (just assuming here obviously) that Tyrod will be fine for the opener. He walked off the field on his own. I have no doubt he has a concussion, but I don't think he'll be out the next 2 weeks

And he travelled with the team.

All this talk today is just pretty twisted wishful thinking.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2013/07/31/concussions-keeping-nfl-players-off-the-field-longer/2604023/

This article is a little older (2013) but on average players with concussion missed 16 days. With the sensitivity of this issue and the NFL I think there is a real chance TT will not be cleared in time for week one.

So to answer the OP's question, I give Peterman all the reps with the ones this week and I play him for the first quarter and maybe start the second quarter against the Lions. If he starts week one against the Jets its his job to lose. If he goes out and gets a win and the offence looks good, I'm starting him week 2. Tell the media and fans you do not want to rush TT back. If he goes in and beats the panthers guess what??? He is the hot hand and now its onto Denver with him.

I don't buy into you shouldn't lose your job to injury. If this kid steps up and is balling you play him. If he struggles, TT slides right back into the starting spot.

I like on one of the other threads. The idea of trading for Chad Kelly. We'd only have to Give maybe a 6th. Polish who I disagree with people saying the game has passed him by because he is a HOF and knows how to evaluate talent. Pick him up from Denver and work him into the system.

Cut Yates, and develop Peterman. If TT is out of concussion protocol in two weeks, no problem. He wouldn't play next week anyway.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2013/07/31/concussions-keeping-nfl-players-off-the-field-longer/2604023/

This article is a little older (2013) but on average players with concussion missed 16 days. With the sensitivity of this issue and the NFL I think there is a real chance TT will not be cleared in time for week one.

So to answer the OP's question, I give Peterman all the reps with the ones this week and I play him for the first quarter and maybe start the second quarter against the Lions. If he starts week one against the Jets its his job to lose. If he goes out and gets a win and the offence looks good, I'm starting him week 2. Tell the media and fans you do not want to rush TT back. If he goes in and beats the panthers guess what??? He is the hot hand and now its onto Denver with him.

I don't buy into you shouldn't lose your job to injury. If this kid steps up and is balling you play him. If he struggles, TT slides right back into the starting spot.

If TT appears to be in danger of missing the opener, there is just no way any sane coach would play Peterman an appreciable amount of time in PS game 4. Maybe a series or two if at all.

If TT appears to be in danger of missing the opener, there is just no way any sane coach would play Peterman an appreciable amount of time in PS game 4. Maybe a series or two if at all.

Well right - that's what I'm thinking - and presumably they'd bring in a challenger to Yates for that game too.

------

I have to say I'm struck by how many people say Peterman could light it up against the Jets and they still wouldn't keep him starting.

How do you think you find the next Wilson/Prescott/Brady? The starter gets hurt, your 3rd/4th/6th rounder steps in and takes the job.

This is why we can't have nice things.

Well right - that's what I'm thinking - and presumably they'd bring in a challenger to Yates for that game too.

------

I have to say I'm struck by how many people say Peterman could light it up against the Jets and they still wouldn't keep him starting.

How do you think you find the next Wilson/Prescott/Brady? The starter gets hurt, your 3rd/4th/6th rounder steps in and takes the job.

Are they saying that or saying that is what McD or any coach for that matter, is likely to do? Wilson was not an injury situation, he just flat outplayed their FA signing all offseason/ preseason but was still considered a surprising move. A one game performance vs the Jets isn't going to change an NFL coach's mind. The injury situations you mentioned had the luxury of being longer term. Where it just became obvious that you don't disrupt what was taking place. A one week absence with a concussion isn't providing that luxury of a longer look. Edited by Boatdrinks

------

We're talking about the starter missing one game...

You're talking about starters who miss the season or are clearly outplayed in the off-season.

Just be better than he was in preseason. Show improvement. That being said if taylor is healthy and is out of concussion protocol in time to prep for week two, then you sit Peterman and give your starter a chance to win his job back. If he can't do it, it's Peterman's team going forward. It's the only way to know what we have to do in the next phase of the rebuild (because that's what it is right now).

But we already know what Tyrod can't do. Peterman will either let the Bills know they need select a qb in the first round or he will let them know they can use them picks to address other areas. Either way going with Tyrod it says get a starting quality qb asap. So it would be wise to go with Peterman. This regime came in lacking confidence in Taylor. And Peterman do look better then Tyrod by a long shot

TT is not the Future.

Maybe Peterman is not the Future, maybe he is or maybe he is a future backup.

McD has to take the temperature of the Players he intends to keep and go from there. Does benching TT ruin the lockerroom? Does it just tick off guys McD doesn't intend to keep?

Unless NP has a Tuel- like melt down in the regular season game you ride with him.

If McD wants to be a coach in this league longer than a year or two, he goes with the QB that can execute all facets of the game. If he has a QB that can see over the line, can't see open receivers 10 yards downfield and can only throw to guys standing still, he needs to find another QB. TT is not the future regardless how much his teammates like him or how well he can escape trouble after 5 seconds in the pocket.

The future is now, go with somebody, anybody out there(possibly not even on the team yet) that is willing to throw to a receiver that is running while the ball is thrown.

I'll bet that Woods and Watkins among others are thankful they don't have to catch a ball and get lambasted. Just ask McCoy when he almost lost his life last year catching a ball from TT because he had to stop to catch it.

You're 100% right, but you're going to get crucified

Our Oline is not good in pass protect right now. Will take a scrambler like TT and a quick throwing Dennison gameplan to move the chains against the Jets D.

I like what I see from Peterman thus far, but the best thing for this team is to not throw the kid in there until he learns more AND we can give him some time to execute. He probably could win us the Jets game but he really needs at least full year on the bench.

I pretty much agree with this as well. Concussions are easy to "stretch out" medically because few will ever kill a team for playing it safe with someone's brain. I don't think the above is the most likely scenario but it is totally plausible.

Edited by Golden*Wheels

Personally, I feel like Peterman's a much better fit for this offense than Tyrod is. Without the offensive strategy of the past few years that played to Tyrod strengths, i.e. deep throws, improvisation, I don't think Tyrod will ever be as good as he was the past two years. Especially considering the current strategy seems to play to all of Tyrod's weakness, i.e. quick decision making, throwing people open, medium throws, throwing over the middle, and rhythm passing. I honestly believe Peterman would do a better job as the starter.

That being said, I'd personally put Peterman as the starter regardless of Tyrod being healthy or not, and let Peterman develop, see what he can do.

We're talking about the starter missing one game...

You're talking about starters who miss the season or are clearly outplayed in the off-season.

Well, this is the situation we have. If Nate goes 1st Quarter against the lions and continues to develop and then beats the jests to start the season, by all rights he has to be considered as our starter.