Jerry Hughes

YoloinOhio

It's a league where the best systems, and the best QB's win.

Lets go over the best WR's in the league. Off of the top of my head- Brown, OBJ, Julio, Green, Dez, Hopkins, Cooper. Throw in Sammy if you like, or even go back to guys like Megatron.

Now add up all the championships.

This is the NFL. There is great talent everywhere, even on the worst teams. But, in general, the same organizations win every year- even though they consistently pick later in the draft and acquire lesser "talents." Why? How do the great teams let their expensive players walk in FA. reload with lesser talent, and not miss a beat?

System and QB trumps talent in a league where everyone is talented. We will be good if MCD and Beane are good. It is that simple. In the salary cap era, a strong organization trumps even the best non QB talent. We need to hope we finally got it right with our front office.

From a team building perspective, it's probably not the best strategy to give up extra draft assets, and commit a large portion of the salary cap, to a #1 WR without a franchise QB in place. No matter how elite.

How do you increase your odds of finding a QB? Stockpile picks and manage the cap to allow for maximum flexibility in acquiring one, either in the draft or FA. Not by carelessly using our resources to- trade up for non QB players, or sign non QB players to big FA contracts. We have seen how that works. I know everyone likes to reference losing Lynch, but we do sign guys. We've extended Dareus, Glenn, and Hughes. Gone after guys like Shady and Mario. Keep and add all of this talent, and still don't win. Great talent but none of it really matters.

Are you still going to claim that you were correct in thinking that the trade up for Sammy was the correct move for this organization?

Until we have the right front office in place (hopefully now), and identify our franchise QB, the rest is just noise and doesn't really move the needle. Sammy included.

Talking QB to me is barking up the wrong tree........I am the guy that points out every year at draft time that by simply staying put and drafting BQBA they could have had Brees, Flacco, Aaron Rodgers........

But while I wouldn't have traded up for Sammy......I know the team isn't going to commit that hard to the QB position with tenuous retreads or nobodies manning the GM and HC positions.......so getting a superstar talent to add to the passing game was a good alternative.

Sammy was just getting started........in the short term and long term they've CLEARLY made far worse use of early draft picks......so not exactly sure what you think they MISSED by getting a difference maker at WR...........and over the long haul I'd say that trade would have looked GREAT.

If they had let it play out........as they should have with future HOF'ers like Jason Peters or Lynch.....they would have been rewarded.

Or take a guy like McGahee.......who like Watkins was about to have a breakout/get paid season.......and whose trade netted lesser talent in return and necessitated the use of prime draft capital to replace him(Lynch).

But like I said in the previous post......ake an objective look at what the draft typically yields the Buffalo Bills.

Only 1 Bills first rounder left on the roster from pre-Shaq/Tred White.

The love affair some fans have with draft picks is insane.......the Bills have more of their first and second rounders playing on OTHER TEAMS than they do their own.........and yet some fans keep thinking they are getting 4-6 long term starters from every draft.

Edited by #BADOL

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes! Only 2 more years and then we can start dismantling the strongest part of our weak-ass team! Perfect Buffalo plan, so Billsy.

Hughes will be 31 in 2 years. It would be smarter to find another DE in the draft between then and now, pay them half the price, and let another team pay for the downslope of Hughes' career.

If we want this team to find a franchise QB, sooner or later we will have to accept that a franchise QB eats up 20+ million of the cap. You can't be paying your whole DL 10+ million AND a franchise QB 20+ million without opening holes elsewhere. Big picture.

Talking QB to me is barking up the wrong tree........I am the guy that points out every year at draft time that by simply staying put and drafting BQBA they could have had Brees, Flacco, Aaron Rodgers........

But while I wouldn't have traded up for Sammy......I know the team isn't going to commit that hard to the QB position with tenuous retreads or nobodies manning the GM and HC positions.......so getting a superstar talent to add to the passing game was a good alternative.

Sammy was just getting started........in the short term and long term they've CLEARLY made far worse use of early draft picks......so not exactly sure what you think they MISSED by getting a difference maker at WR...........and over the long haul I'd say that trade would have looked GREAT.

If they had let it play out........as they should have with future HOF'ers like Jason Peters or Lynch.....they would have been rewarded.

Or take a guy like McGahee.......who like Watkins was about to have a breakout/get paid season.......and whose trade netted lesser talent in return and necessitated the use of prime draft capital to replace him(Lynch).

But like I said in the previous post......ake an objective look at what the draft typically yields the Buffalo Bills.

Only 1 Bills first rounder left on the roster from pre-Shaq/Tred White.

The love affair some fans have with draft picks is insane.......the Bills have more of their first and second rounders playing on OTHER TEAMS than they do their own.........and yet some fans keep thinking they are getting 4-6 long term starters from every draft.

😂

We have 6 picks in the first 3 rounds next year.... They will make good players in a few years on others teams...

the love is palpable between you two!

Btw, the reports from practice said Jordan Mills tried to start a fight with Jerry two plays in a row.

Could the coaches be asking players to push Jerry's buttons one purpose? They know he is an emotional player, so there trying to push him and use it as learning tools?

We have 6 picks in the first 3 rounds next year.... They will make good players in a few years on others teams...

There is zero proof that the current regime will repeat the mistakes of past regimes. They are unrelated. Assuming so is being negative for negatives sake.

Hughes will be 31 in 2 years. It would be smarter to find another DE in the draft between then and now, pay them half the price, and let another team pay for the downslope of Hughes' career.

If we want this team to find a franchise QB, sooner or later we will have to accept that a franchise QB eats up 20+ million of the cap. You can't be paying your whole DL 10+ million AND a franchise QB 20+ million without opening holes elsewhere. Big picture.

Eddie Yarbrough is only 24 and they really like him, if things continue with Jerry they will trade him and go after someone they want along with draft picks.

This is the hot head who picks up half a dozen 15 yard penalties a year because he can't control his behavior under emotional stress. I'm not surprised at this behavior in practice.

Jerry Hughes just got into it with Leslie Frazier.

Hughes walked away as Frazier yelled "ITS ALL ABOUT YOU JERRY! ALWAYS ABOUT YOU!" #Bills

https://twitter.com/danfetes/status/897101489788903424

What do you mean?

They just traded Sammy Watkins for a draft pick.

And we'll see how it works out. Maybe they will be wiser with our picks, and cap situation, and use them to land us a QB.

The book is hardly written that this is a mistake.

which is better value for 2018 ??? Sammy at $16 mil/yr or the Ram's early 2nd round pick at $1.75 mil/yr

Huh?

They are both free agents after 2017. You likely got way more bang for the buck with Sammy this year than you are likely to get from EJ Gaines.

which is better value for 2018 ??? Sammy at $16 mil/yr or the Ram's early 2nd round pick at $1.75 mil/yr

Don't be so sure it'll be "early." They were 15th in defensive DVOA last season and 7th the year before. They are talented on D, and they now have one of the best DCs ever (Philips). They have also undergone a massive upgrade on offense with Watkins/Woods. Gurley, despite his stats last season, is one of the best pure RBs in the league. It all depends on whether Goff takes the next step, but Goff, who did not impress last year, has real talent.

that was yesterday.... however I laugh every time I read it :lol:

Same. I keep reading it in George Costanzas voice from seinfeld

Ill take talent over value any day.

Sammy at $16 mil/yr with plenty of cap space over a complete unknown 2nd round pick.

I agree at face value bc im ignorant to how good beanes drafting will be, he cud get a winner or a bust. Its in 'wait n see' mode

Don't be so sure it'll be "early." They were 15th in defensive DVOA last season and 7th the year before. They are talented on D, and they now have one of the best DCs ever (Philips). They have also undergone a massive upgrade on offense with Watkins/Woods. Gurley, despite his stats last season, is one of the best pure RBs in the league. It all depends on whether Goff takes the next step, but Goff, who did not impress last year, has real talent.

That defense is gonna be something with wade calling the plays. Ultimately It really does depend on Goff tho.

A key cog in that defense is out gor the season in Easley. Donsld hadnt reported to training camp, and they are dealing with a new coach.

There is zero proof that the current regime will repeat the mistakes of past regimes. They are unrelated. Assuming so is being negative for negatives sake.

Proof? Perhaps not but the first thing they did was pass on drafting a quarterback and grab another first round corner (this after letting one walk).

It might not prove much but it sure sounds familiar, no?

Proof? Perhaps not but the first thing they did was pass on drafting a quarterback and grab another first round corner (this after letting one walk).

Possibly. But in doing so, they traded back and pickup up an extra first for next year (which is widely considered a better QB class at this point). A little different than trading up for a non QB, and giving up future assets to do so without a franchise QB in place.

Edited by SWATeam

Where is your lover/nephew Teeflebees? You guys on a timeout?

we've been toghether since 2008. that's nothing to scoff at in this day and age!

Ill take talent over value any day.

Sammy at $16 mil/yr with plenty of cap space over a complete unknown 2nd round pick.

i don't know if i'd take talent over production every day though.

this is honestly why we are having this discussion. sammy just wasn't productive enough when he was here, and i'm 100% willing to bet his numbers would be very similar this year had he stayed on the bills. i don't think his numbers will be even better with the rams. i kinda feel bad for him in the sense that he didn't go to a better qb situation.

Disagree.

If he stayed he would've had a BIG year.

ok. based on what? why would watkins have a big year? there's literally nothing to suggest that would happen.

why? still has question on his health, has the same qb, now has boldin and jones on the team which could take away targets. you're not the only person to say that, but it's just something you're pushing to complain more.

oddly enough, badol said watkins would have a "big" year too?

Edited by teef

ok. based on what? why would watkins have a big year?

This is what makes these discussions so frustrating.

The only thing everyone can accurately predict about this upcoming season is that no one can assuredly predict anything. Even the concept of "strength of schedule" is ridiculous because the team and circumstances which created last year's results are not the team and circumstances that will create this year's results.

Every team is one injury, one suspension, one accident, one baby or one death away from having their season altered.

There are some, however, who insist they know everything they need to know, if only to argue that they're right exclusively because you're wrong.

In the end, no one knows anything for certain, so worrying, bitching and whining about is a self-serving waste of time.

Edited by LABillzFan

This is what makes these discussions so frustrating.

The only thing everyone can accurately predict about this upcoming season is that no one can assuredly predict anything. Even the concept of "strength of schedule" is ridiculous because the team and circumstances which created last year's results are not the team and circumstances that will create this year's results.

Every team is one injury, one suspension, one accident, one baby or one death away from having their season altered.

There are some, however, who insist they know everything they need to know, if only to argue that they're right exclusively because you're wrong.

In the end, no one knows anything for certain, so worrying, bitching and whining about is a self-serving waste of time.

17 years, fam.

I'm sure LABillzfan would prefer playing Cleveland 16 times to New England 16 times, so there is obviously a preseason strength of schedule issue in EVERYONE'S skull, the rest is negotiating.

I have full confidence the MNF schedule the NFL hands to ESPN will be 95% total dogs not worth watching, while NBC gets to pick the game of the week on a Sunday. And Thursday games will mostly blow as well.

I think when a new regime comes in they should be judged by the merits of their own actions and not pay for the sins of previous ones. You can have two separate franchises who follow similar models and have two completely different results because of the execution of that model, so just because one regime's actions have similarities than previous ones does not automatically mean that they will be as lousy as the last.

This will be apparent in 2018, 2019 and 2020 when we miss the playoffs because we don't have a true no. 1 WR. No way do we even sniff the playoffs this year.

I'm not sure many of the fans here even care about the "playing" part. Being a Bills fan has become all about the draft - it's just a twisted version fantasy football.

I agree. The draft has been the high point of most seasons for the past 17 years. When have you felt more hopeful?

• 2 weeks later...