Jerry Hughes

YoloinOhio

It's not arguable that Bills got worse on paper. It's certainly arguable whether the talent they lost would have contributed to more wins. To me it's a stretch to surmise that if the Bills jump out to 5-3, they would wilt without Sammy & Darby.

I'm not saying it's going to happen, but it is the case that seemingly every year some undertalented team gets off to a fast start (e.g., the Bills in 2007 and 2011). Then the talent problem emerges. Teams figure out what to take away, and said teams go 2-6 the rest of the way because they have players that can't overcome gameplanning that targets their deficiencies. Again, this seems to happen every goddamn year.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. One of those losses they put up over 600 yards of offense.

What was more impactful to the loss, Sammy's 154 yards or Darby getting lost in coverage (in a scheme that suited his strengths).

This is the realization I was hoping people would make about TT this off season. There are certainly worse qbs than him.

So how good will they do without those play makers? This trade upset me because you don't get rid of talented players for what ifs. Especially YOUNG talent. If you are going to move on from guys it should be the ones closer to the end than the beginning. Sammy is only 2 years older than Zay Jones for comparison. Sammy has proven he can play in this league.

I did finally put my finger on it though. I'm always excited for Bills football good or bad. This year I was pumped to watch the first preseason game. I got about 12 hours of excitement before the Bills decided I have to wait another 12 months for competitive football. I watched 4 straight passes from TT to Sammy and thought "that combo can do something this year" then they broke it up. Teams just don't give up YOUNG players of Sammy's caliber unless forced and certainly not for a 2nd round pick.

I'm a koolaid drinker but since this trade I feel a lot more like ScottLaw than I do John from Hemet. I'm left with a lot of why bother. I feel like someone kicked my dog. The Bills do this to me pretty much every year but at least they let me make it until November before they do that. :lol::bag::cry: Sorry to go so far off topic I still can't formulate my thoughts other than it f*cking sucks.

I think if you can look at the Bills objectively you understand that they may never win a Super Bowl........or if they do maybe it will only be one.......over the course of 70-100 years.

They are a very bad pro sports organization......always have been a mess at heart......mainly due to a lack of understanding of the sport.......which I think is what Ralph Wilson saw and liked/related to so much in Terrence Pegula. :lol:

But the journey is the real reward.......and that's what got lost with this trade........they deprived Bills fans that enjoy exciting football of a potentially dynamic playmaker with a long career in front of him in Sammy Watkins.

The concept........maybe using that modest little second round pick as part of an enormous grouping of picks to trade up for a QB........makes sense to those that can't simply understand that the Bills are entertainment........and not just a win-one-eventually-so-I-can-die operation.

Tanking doesn't work any better than building from mediocrity.......the best, most consistently competitive teams in the league got where they are now from levels very much like where the Bills have been.......mediocrity.

NE, Pittsburgh, GB, Seattle, Baltimore......even new arrivals like Dallas and Atlanta......none are built on tank jobs.

I call it like I see it but I got the Sammy news Friday and didn't think about it again until my vacation was over Monday.........this is entertainment we pay for folks........you don't need to make apologies for the sh*tclowns that run the product.

I think if you can look at the Bills objectively you understand that they may never win a Super Bowl........or if they do maybe it will only be one.......over the course of 70-100 years.

They are a very bad pro sports organization......always have been a mess at heart......mainly due to a lack of understanding of the sport.......which I think is what Ralph Wilson saw and liked/related to so much in Terrence Pegula. :lol:

But the journey is the real reward.......and that's what got lost with this trade........they deprived Bills fans that enjoy exciting football of a potentially dynamic playmaker with a long career in front of him in Sammy Watkins.

The concept........maybe using that modest little second round pick as part of an enormous grouping of picks to trade up for a QB........makes sense to those that can't simply understand that the Bills are entertainment........and not just a win-one-eventually-so-I-can-die operation.

Tanking doesn't work any better than building from mediocrity.......the best, most consistently competitive teams in the league got where they are now from levels very much like where the Bills have been.......mediocrity.

NE, Pittsburgh, GB, Seattle, Baltimore......even new arrivals like Dallas and Atlanta......none are built on tank jobs.

I call it like I see it but I got the Sammy news Friday and didn't think about it again until my vacation was over Monday.........this is entertainment we pay for folks........you don't need to make apologies for the sh*tclowns that run the product.

Yup!. People miss the fact that we're going to have a lousier entertainment product this year. "Wait 'til next year" is a meaningless (and indeed pernicious) philosophy w/regard to this organization. I always joke that if the Bills win the SB, I will never have to watch another sporting event again in my lifetime (and I'm not even really joking). Of course, I fully expect to hooked up to a respirator in 2050 watching them lose to the Jets and complaining on a message board about some stupid trade the team made.

That's the part that is still getting to me, 3 days later, and will probably continue to eat at me for quite awhile. The Bills don't seem to be in the business of winning games, fine, I've learned to live with that. But at the very least it was a joy to watch an elite athlete like Sammy on otherwise miserable Sunday afternoons during otherwise miserable seasons. BUT NOW THEY WON'T EVEN LET ME HAVE THAT.

And you well know that most of the folks around here who are defending the moves will be bitching and moaning in high throttle after the first few games of watching a flaccid offense featuring 4-yard rollout passes to a fullback.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

Yup!. People miss the fact that we're going to have a lousier entertainment product this year. "Wait 'til next year" is a meaningless (and indeed pernicious) philosophy w/regard to this organization. I always joke that if the Bills win the SB, I will never have to watch another sporting event again in my lifetime (and I'm not even really joking). Of course, I fully expect to hooked up to a respirator in 2050 watching them lose to the Jets and complaining on a message board about some stupid trade the team made.

I think there is definitely an element of fans that would digest that SB trophy and then give the organization the middle finger and not come back.

Being a Bills fan has become a battle of attrition and I think a lot of people are just too stubborn to quit......but they are only staying to see the job completed.

By contrast.......I am a Yankees fan and I ONLY watch the games if they are entertaining.

And the Yankees know that they need to remain entertaining thru whatever stage of winning they are in.

The Bills don't..........there has always been an element of selfishness from Wilson now on to the Pegula's where they think the fans are here to watch them experiment in whatever way and for however long as they please.

The new generation of fans ain't down with that.........they are all about entertainment........which is why they aren't all about the Bills.

I think there is definitely an element of fans that would digest that SB trophy and then give the organization the middle finger and not come back.

Being a Bills fan has become a battle of attrition and I think a lot of people are just too stubborn to quit......but they are only staying to see the job completed.

By contrast.......I am a Yankees fan and I ONLY watch the games if they are entertaining.

And the Yankees know that they need to remain entertaining thru whatever stage of winning they are in.

The Bills don't..........there has always been an element of selfishness from Wilson now on to the Pegula's where they think the fans are here to watch them experiment in whatever way and for however long as they please.

The new generation of fans ain't down with that.........they are all about entertainment........which is why they aren't all about the Bills.

How much more entertaining does it get than hiring an Oklahoma loudmouth and his feeble brother Fredo?

That's the part that is still getting to me, 3 days later, and will probably continue to eat at me for quite awhile. The Bills don't seem to be in the business of winning games, fine, I've learned to live with that. But at the very least it was a joy to watch an elite athlete like Sammy on otherwise miserable Sunday afternoons during otherwise miserable seasons. BUT NOW THEY WON'T EVEN LET ME HAVE THAT.

And you well know that most of the folks around here who are defending the moves will be bitching and moaning in high throttle after the first few games of watching a flaccid offense featuring 4-yard rollout passes to a fullback.

Yeah here's the thing about Sammy:

He was probably the best freshman WR in NCAA football history.........just incredible.........and for good reason many people felt he was the best football player in his draft class.

He was drafted into a very bad organization that was just trying to stack talent without regard to development and as a result we've been waiting for him to teach himself how to reach his potential............and just as it appears he's ready to turn the corner.......they deal him for chump change.

The Bills just seem to have no real understanding of the limits of fandom.

I don't blame the folks who think Sammy sucked or that want the second round pick instead..........they just don't know what they were missing.

But it's inexcusable for these two first year nobodies to come in here and not take note of past history repeat the mistakes of the past.........as Peter King said........that HAS TO STOP.

Ralph Wilson was not selfish and we were the million dollar bills at one point.

He spent money on the wrong players in the later half of his life. Derrick Dockery 7 year 49 million. 3rd Biggest guard contract of all time at that point.

Ralph was never selfish , he kept us where we belong. He made bad football decisions later in his life but that's all they were

He spent money on the wrong players in the later half of his life. Derrick Dockery 7 year 49 million. 3rd Biggest guard contract of all time at that point.

Ralph was never selfish , he kept us where we belong. He made bad football decisions later in his life but that's all they were

Nonsense. Ralph authorized a few splash signings and then shed salaries in August (Langston Walker) when he decided that the team wasn't going to win the Super Bowl, so why spend the money. And he was notoriously stingy with his coaches and staff.

Are Bills fans so freakin' stupid that they fall for this stuff over and over again? Seriously this fanbase seems to be more prone to circus barking than any consumer group in the universe.

In fact - my first reaction to these trades was that this is Ralph all over again - shedding talent on the eve of the season, after the season ticket sales are all sewn up. It's cruel and unusual punishment that Bills fans seem to sign up for year after year.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

Agree 100% on the tanking comment.

The NFL isn't like other sports leagues. There are too many roster spots, too much risk on draft selections, too much fluctuation with injuries, too many outside factors with salary cap, coaching changes, scheme switches, etc. The idea that our best avenue was to purge talent, stockpile draft picks and rebuild a successful roster from scratch is nonsense.

I'm highly skeptical of this front office, until they start proving they can properly scout and make smart draft picks.

Thank you for stating better than I could my point. Now I'm here agreeing with you and Badol. What have the Bills done to me. :thumbsup:

I knew the Bills weren't challenging the Patriots. I gave up on that a few years ago. However I enjoy TT and McCoy because they are entertaining players. They make the highlight plays. Sammy was one of those guys too. Talking football might be more enjoyable than any other part for me. Now I don't want to talk football. I haven't gotten to talk friendly trash in almost 20 years! In the back of my mind is Colin Cowherd saying bad teams are bad because their fans allow it. We continue to support a sub par entertainment product and for what? Which leads me to...

Ralph held the fans hostage for the last many years he owned the team. The Toronto series, the low spending on coaches, not re-signing talented players, etc. were moves designed to help the bottom line. The Bills of the 2000s are a direct result of his ownership. He constantly hung the threat of moving over the fans head to get them to fork over for a subpar product. I'm glad he did what he did to keep the Bills in Buffalo but we can't pretend it was all done with the best of intentions.

How much more entertaining does it get than hiring an Oklahoma loudmouth and his feeble brother Fredo?

Rex Ryan had gone to AFC Championships from within the division......including THRU the Patriots once.

He was a bad hire because they ignored why he was fired in NY in the first place......he got lazy.

Pegulas gonna' Pegul.

McDermott and Beane are just two nobodies with clean slates......an overreaction to their initial poor judgement with the Ryan hire.

How about letting these two nobodies prove something before letting them gut the roster?

Edited by #BADOL

shedding talent on the eve of the season, after the season ticket sales are all sewn up. It's cruel and unusual punishment that Bills fans seem to sign up for year after year.

This sentence. Anyone with a season ticket should be outraged that they dog and ponied until they got their money. I think I would be less mad if Watkins was traded months ago. They are just killing loyal blue collar fans. Who then line up and say please sir may I have another.

I moved at the start of the month and found my certificate for 5 years of seasons from 2009. I originally got tickets in 04 because I thought they would be good again soon and it would be fun. 5 years later I couldn't convince people to make the 2.5 hour trek each way and waste a Sunday on what is probably my favorite activity. In 09 we gave up our 4 tickets and said we would get them again after they made the playoffs. Almost a decade later and it still hasn't happened. We still got together every Sunday no matter what up until 2-3 years ago. Now I'm lucky if we catch 4 games together. I hope these trades work out for the team because I think the Bills are about all out of goodwill.

This sentence. Anyone with a season ticket should be outraged that they dog and ponied until they got their money. I think I would be less mad if Watkins was traded months ago. They are just killing loyal blue collar fans. Who then line up and say please sir may I have another.

I moved at the start of the month and found my certificate for 5 years of seasons from 2009. I originally got tickets in 04 because I thought they would be good again soon and it would be fun. 5 years later I couldn't convince people to make the 2.5 hour trek each way and waste a Sunday on what is probably my favorite activity. In 09 we gave up our 4 tickets and said we would get them again after they made the playoffs. Almost a decade later and it still hasn't happened. We still got together every Sunday no matter what up until 2-3 years ago. Now I'm lucky if we catch 4 games together. I hope these trades work out for the team because I think the Bills are about all out of goodwill.

They play the offseason so well for this fanbase: sell hope beginning in February, ratchet up the enthusiasm leading up to the draft, market the new faces like crazy to maximize ticket sales, then start cutting losses in July and August. Folks are so drunk on game day and so used to the losing that they barely care or notice being separated from their wallets, and they climb right back in line as soon as the playoffs are over.

Rex Ryan had gone to AFC Championships from within the division......including THRU the Patriots once.

He was a bad hire because they ignored why he was fired in NY in the first place......he got lazy.

Pegulas gonna' Pegul.

McDermott and Beane are just two nobodies with clean slates......an overreaction to their initial poor judgement with the Ryan hire.

I just don't get why they get the benefit of the doubt? Why should we trust that they are making the correct decisions? AND WHY GET RID OF YOUNG TALENT?!?!

That's the part that upsets me the most. Young, proven talent and they dump it for draft picks. And spare me on the injuries, ODB missed 28 of his first 32 games, Sammy missed 29 of 32. Its football, injuries happen. Look around the league.

It's funny but fans like to point to the Pats and how they get rid of players, what I find hilarious is, they have actually changed how they view the draft. Read an article a while ago about how Belichick now prefers to obtain known talent. With the new CBA there just aren't enough reps to go around and it's hard to determine what you have with some draft picks. So he just goes after players have proven themselves in the league.

Pegulas gonna' Pegul.

How about letting these two nobodies prove something before letting them gut the roster?

Then by your standard nobody outside Belichick was worthy of a hire, because everyone else is a nobody or an over-hyped retread.

Pegulas gonna' Pegul.

....they shoulda just hired you instead.....good Lord, the comedy starts and it's only Monday......where is parental control when it is MOST needed?...............

Thank you for stating better than I could my point. Now I'm here agreeing with you and Badol. What have the Bills done to me. :thumbsup:

I knew the Bills weren't challenging the Patriots. I gave up on that a few years ago. However I enjoy TT and McCoy because they are entertaining players. They make the highlight plays. Sammy was one of those guys too. Talking football might be more enjoyable than any other part for me. Now I don't want to talk football. I haven't gotten to talk friendly trash in almost 20 years! In the back of my mind is Colin Cowherd saying bad teams are bad because their fans allow it. We continue to support a sub par entertainment product and for what? Which leads me to...

Ralph held the fans hostage for the last many years he owned the team. The Toronto series, the low spending on coaches, not re-signing talented players, etc. were moves designed to help the bottom line. The Bills of the 2000s are a direct result of his ownership. He constantly hung the threat of moving over the fans head to get them to fork over for a subpar product. I'm glad he did what he did to keep the Bills in Buffalo but we can't pretend it was all done with the best of intentions.

Yes that was the later part of his life. We struggled in the 2000s , look at our QB depth chart. That's why we were very bad.

But when we had talent, he was never cheap.

When the salary cap first started our team was already old and Ralph still had pretty good teams Up til 04 when we were 9-7. He ponied up because we still were close

05-12 on the other hand was very hard to watch.

No body hated him when we had the juice and the electric company or when we had AFL titles. Football goes in ebbs and flows

How many playoff games with Hughes? How many times has this clown basically sabotaged a game with his hot head? Your not talking JJ Watt talent here.

You know, I am not going to assign the bulk of the blame for the lack for the lack of playoff appearances on Hughes, but I readily admit that you do raise an interesting point.

Good post.

I just don't get why they get the benefit of the doubt? Why should we trust that they are making the correct decisions? AND WHY GET RID OF YOUNG TALENT?!?!

That's the part that upsets me the most. Young, proven talent and they dump it for draft picks. And spare me on the injuries, ODB missed 28 of his first 32 games, Sammy missed 29 of 32. Its football, injuries happen. Look around the league.

It's funny but fans like to point to the Pats and how they get rid of players, what I find hilarious is, they have actually changed how they view the draft. Read an article a while ago about how Belichick now prefers to obtain known talent. With the new CBA there just aren't enough reps to go around and it's hard to determine what you have with some draft picks. So he just goes after players have proven themselves in the league.

Huh. Pats had 9 draft picks in 2014, 11 in 2015, 9 in 2016 after the loss of a 1st round. That's a lot o' stockpiling draft picks for a team that "now prefers known talent" to draftees.

Me, I think the Hoodie goes for value always. Draft picks are always the best value if they pan out, but the Pats drafts haven't been all that great recently. Second best is sniping up "undervalued" players from other teams or the FA scrap heap.

Hoodie can hire all the coaching assistants he wants to evaluate those picks.

I do agree with you on the "why get rid of young talent?" thing. I especially hate all the "Darby not a fit for scheme" talk (see other post about SonOfBum's take on that)

Yes that was the later part of his life. We struggled in the 2000s , look at our QB depth chart. That's why we were very bad.

But when we had talent, he was never cheap.

When the salary cap first started our team was already old and Ralph still had pretty good teams Up til 04 when we were 9-7. He ponied up because we still were close

05-12 on the other hand was very hard to watch.

No body hated him when we had the juice and the electric company or when we had AFL titles. Football goes in ebbs and flows

My first year watching was Ronnie Harmon dropping the ball in the end zone. I don't remember anything before that so I won't speak on it but what about 0 for the 70s against the Fins? The Bills historically are 414-475. If you take out the 1 time the team was successful in the NFL from 88-93 they are 344-449. 10 times in the history of the Bills have they finished in 1st place and 6 of them happened in 8 seasons. That isn't ebb and flow that is toilet bowl.

Huh. Pats had 9 draft picks in 2014, 11 in 2015, 9 in 2016 after the loss of a 1st round. That's a lot o' stockpiling draft picks for a team that "now prefers known talent" to draftees.

Me, I think the Hoodie goes for value always. Draft picks are always the best value if they pan out, but the Pats drafts haven't been all that great recently. Second best is sniping up "undervalued" players from other teams or the FA scrap heap.

Hoodie can hire all the coaching assistants he wants to evaluate those picks.

I do agree with you on the "why get rid of young talent?" thing. I especially hate all the "Darby not a fit for scheme" talk (see other post about SonOfBum's take on that)

I'm just relaying what I read. But if I had to guess its about depth. They use the draft to fill out depth positions and if they find players that's a bonus.

Note to self: This isn't fan bashing. :lol:

I have my things with Badol, but honesty compels me to point out that context matters, and you edited out the "inability to understand the value of talent" part, and he kind of has a point there - how many "why don't we trade (unsigned pending FA Byrd) for a first round pick and two thirds?" or posts proposing we cut a player that would cause us to take a humondulous accelerated cap hit, have you read in times past?

I'm just relaying what I read. But if I had to guess its about depth. They use the draft to fill out depth positions and if they find players that's a bonus.

That'd be any winning team, Wayne^3. Winning teams typically have an established roster (that's how they win) and use the draftees/FA fill in just a couple holes and to challenge for the occasional roster spot.

That said, in 2016 the Pats** started a rookie LG and 2 2nd year OLmen/1 2nd year DLman - 1 of them UDFA who started in 2015 as a rookie. Then there's Malcolm Butler. I would say based on their roster, they have a lot of homegrown talent so the draft is still important to the Pats talent pipeline.

My first year watching was Ronnie Harmon dropping the ball in the end zone. I don't remember anything before that so I won't speak on it but what about 0 for the 70s against the Fins? The Bills historically are 414-475. If you take out the 1 time the team was successful in the NFL from 88-93 they are 344-449. 10 times in the history of the Bills have they finished in 1st place and 6 of them happened in 8 seasons. That isn't ebb and flow that is toilet bowl.

We were very good in the afl and when it merged we were past prime. We had OJ and the electric company. The Phins were phenomenal and it was rough in the 70s. But we werent like the browns. Then when we got another QB we were solid for pretty much a decade

The worst era was the 70s by far and we still had some 9 win teams. We are just stuck in mediocrity this century

Edited by Buffalo716

I have my things with Badol, but honesty compels me to point out that context matters, and you edited out the "inability to understand the value of talent" part, and he kind of has a point there - how many "why don't we trade (unsigned pending FA Byrd) for a first round pick and two thirds?" or posts proposing we cut a player that would cause us to take a humondulous accelerated cap hit, have you read in times past?

That'd be any winning team, Wayne^3. Winning teams typically have an established roster (that's how they win) and use the draftees/FA fill in just a couple holes and to challenge for the occasional roster spot.

That said, in 2016 the Pats** started a rookie LG and 2 2nd year OLmen/1 2nd year DLman - 1 of them UDFA who started in 2015 as a rookie. Then there's Malcolm Butler. I would say based on their roster, they have a lot of homegrown talent so the draft is still important to the Pats talent pipeline.

It is good to see you and others acknowledge that BADOL really does know what he is talking about. I don't always agree with him.....in fact I was furious when Whaley gave away the store for Sammy. Still, he doesn't just say s@#t. His posts are all intelligent and well thought.

....they shoulda just hired you instead.....good Lord, the comedy starts and it's only Monday......where is parental control when it is MOST needed?...............

A word of advice for you, a new poster.....why don't you jot down each instance in which you disagree with Badol. Then, get back to that list later on and see who was correct.

You would be much more informed if you engaged him in constructive dialogue. Up to you Bro.

We were very good in the afl and when it merged we were past prime. We had OJ and the electric company. The Phins were phenomenal and it was rough in the 70s. But we werent like the browns. Then when we got another QB we were solid for pretty much a decade

The worst era was the 70s by far and we still had some 9 win teams. We are just stuck in mediocrity this century

...I probably should go back and review the actual history before going from memory......but I think the Lou Saban exodus really soured RW and he tried to coast through the 70's and 80's as the "absentee owner from Detroit" which drew mucho ire...sat back and watched his 25K investment grow instead and got the "cheapskate moniker"....he evolved in the 90's, spent $$$ which yielded four consecutive SB trips.....sure, all for naught....but I think he began to enjoy ownership more and saw the club as more than an investment...just a thought..........

It is good to see you and others acknowledge that BADOL really does know what he is talking about. I don't always agree with him.....in fact I was furious when Whaley gave away the store for Sammy. Still, he doesn't just say s@#t. His posts are all intelligent and well thought.

A word of advice for you, a new poster.....why don't you jot down each instance in which you disagree with Badol. Then, get back to that list later on and see who was correct.

You would be much more informed if you engaged him in constructive dialogue. Up to you Bro.

....can't....WELL beyond my pay grade and intelligence level......will anoint you as my surrogate.....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

...I probably should go back and review the actual history before going from memory......but I think the Lou Saban exodus really soured RW and he tried to coast through the 70's and 80's as the "absentee owner from Detroit" which drew mucho ire...sat back and watched his 25K investment grow instead and got the "cheapskate moniker"....he evolved in the 90's, spent $$$ which yielded four consecutive SB trips.....sure, all for naught....but I think he began to enjoy ownership more and saw the club as more than an investment...just a thought..........

That was a long time ago for sure!

And I agree that he got better as time went by... him and Lou definitely had their problems

Rarely does Badol want to engage in constructive dialogue.

He may know football, but interpersonal communication is far more important, and on this site he's woefully ignorant in that regard.