Gambling everything on 2018 QB Draft Class

mjt328

I mentioned this in another thread, but I think it bears repeating.

The only way anyone can support the Watkins/Darby trades is by assuming the plan is to go after a 2018 QB prospect.

One of the big problems though... None of the top QB prospects are going to be seniors.

Sam Darnold is a Sophomore. Josh Allen, Josh Rosen and Lamar Jackson are Juniors.

This means some or all of them could return to school, even if they turn out to be fantastic prospects.

Not to mention, the Bills are going to have plenty of competition for draft position, even if they are loaded with picks.

The Jets have a terrible roster and seem to be purposely tanking for the #1 pick. The Browns are awful and also loaded with picks. The 49ers will certainly be in the mix. Another terrible season and the Jags could move on from Bortles. The Chargers could be ready to find a replacement for Rivers. Could the Rams dump Goff after 2 seasons? If the next Andrew Luck is poised to come out and these guys are sitting in the Top 1-2-3 spots, why would they trade to Buffalo?

There are so many ways this whole plan could backfire, it just depresses me.

What is so depressing? I didn't like the Sammy trade but I get their logic. Don't necessarily agree but I see it. They are going to have 6 picks in the first 3 rounds to add talent. If they use them on a QB great. If not they add a lot of talent or trade for even more picks than can be used as ammunition in upcoming years.

Beane has put them in position to grab one of the top QB's. We're live and player. At worst we'll have six and maybe seven picks in the top three rounds of a solid draft. Just a few years ago we had no first pick and no playoff roster. This feels different to me and trust me, as a follower of the team since 1963 I finally feel like the FO has a damn clue about the NFL today. These guys are realistic and don't believe in band aids. So I'm not sure there will be a top QB in the draft - lot's of things can happen in a year. But for once, we're in a position to be a player. It feels good.

The only way anyone can support the Watkins/Darby trades is by assuming the plan is to go after a 2018 QB prospect.

One of the big problems though... None of the top QB prospects are going to be seniors.

Sam Darnold is a Sophomore. Josh Allen, Josh Rosen and Lamar Jackson are Juniors.

This means some or all of them could return to school, even if they turn out to be fantastic prospects.

Not to mention, the Bills are going to have plenty of competition for draft position, even if they are loaded with picks.

The Jets have a terrible roster and seem to be purposely tanking for the #1 pick. The Browns are awful and also loaded with picks. The 49ers will certainly be in the mix. Another terrible season and the Jags could move on from Bortles. The Chargers could be ready to find a replacement for Rivers. Could the Rams dump Goff after 2 seasons? If the next Andrew Luck is poised to come out and these guys are sitting in the Top 1-2-3 spots, why would they trade to Buffalo?

Glad you caught the fact that none of the QB prospects are seniors.

I'm sure the Bills FO and scouting staff failed to take that into account before the deals on Friday.

False. I support the trades and think going after a QB in 2018 would be the worst decision we could make. We're set up for draft day success. Let's not ruin that by trading a boatload of top picks for a QB prospect. Let's stockpile talent with this picks in the top 50.

And what if they don't draft one at all?

It is absolutely the right decision to not draft one. Not sure why most seem to think this is the plan. We're set up to get half a dozen top prospects. I think the plan is to do this, and not draft a QB high in 2018. It takes more than a QB to win and I think our new GM and coach understand this

It is absolutely the right decision to not draft one. Not sure why most seem to think this is the plan. We're set up to get half a dozen top prospects. I think the plan is to do this, and not draft a QB high in 2018. It takes more than a QB to win and I think our new GM and coach understand this

It really depends on who's there at draft time.

When you don't have a QB, why is it the right answer to not draft a QB?

It really depends on who's there at draft time.

When you don't have a QB, why is it the right answer to not draft a QB?

Because this team isn't a QB away from being a playoff threat on an annual basis. Put Tom Brady or Aaron Rogers on this team, does that make us a perennial threat to go deep in the playoffs? No. We need more. We need 6 top 50 prospects, then 3 or 4 more the following year. With the right team, we already have our QB. Guys like Joe Flacco win championships because they have the right team.

From one of Beane's pres conferences....

"It's a quarterback league. I mean, who are we kidding?" Beane said. "If you look at the playoffs teams, the consistent guys that at least qualify for the playoffs or are close every year, most of them have QBs, most of them have a legit quarterback. If you want to use the word franchise, whatever word you want to use, so I understand that. Cam in Carolina was, is, a franchise quarterback. If you're a GM, you have to find a franchise quarterback. It obviously helps keep you on a consistent playing field if you have one, so I get that."

Because this team isn't a QB away from being a playoff threat on an annual basis. Put Tom Brady or Aaron Rogers on this team, does that make us a perennial threat to go deep in the playoffs? No. We need more. We need 6 top 50 prospects, then 3 or 4 more the following year. With the right team, we already have our QB. Guys like Joe Flacco win championships because they have the right team.

Are you serious???

I'm pretty sure the Bills also have enough ammo to trade back and possibly pick up another 2019 1st......even if we get our QB in April.

Really, no worries at all.

You need to follow a different sport.

Yes, it absolutely does. Especially Brady. That's the whole point.

For years, us fans have watched this organization under-value the QB position. Now that they are finally getting it, folks want to complain.

There is NOTHING MORE IMPORTANT than finding a QB. And you have to take shots, and work to get the best shots possible.

I highly doubt that Sammy and Darby were traded solely to go after a 2018 QB. I can almost guarantee that there was a lot more to it. Honestly, I don't think going after a 2018 QB was even one of the reasons Sammy & Darby were traded, and if it was it was way down on the list of reasons IMO.

With all these high draft picks next year, I wonder if the 2019 #1 is also in play to get the guy they want.

I believe it always has been.

That, and the possibility of trading out of one of our 1sts to acquire an extra 2019 1st if a bunch of the younger QBs stay in school, and pushing our QB pick to the following year.

Plain and simple, everything has to be an option so we're ready when the time comes.

The 1983 NFL draft had six QBs taken in the first round. This draft is considered to be greatest QB class ever. Three HOF QBs Elway Kelly and Marino. The other three are Blackledge, second QB taken, a bust, Eason take with the pick after Kelly, a bust and O'Brien, taken before Marino, okay career. The Chiefs, Patriots and Jets all blew it. My point is odds are that some of the 2018 QB class are going to be mediocre or busts. I know teams have to take the chance but it is not a guarantee that you get the right guy. Which is why it is dangerous to trade good players.

I highly doubt that Sammy and Darby were traded solely to go after a 2018 QB. I can almost guarantee that there was a lot more to it. Honestly, I don't think going after a 2018 QB was even one of the reasons Sammy & Darby were traded, and if it was it was way down on the list of reasons IMO.

I agree. There was something behind the scenes we don't know about. Possibly they simply know already they had no plans on giving Watkins a high dollar contract, so they got something for him instead of nothing.

I disagree wholeheartedly...while the QB positions is one of the most important on the team, there are other positions that carry significant weight as well.

Six picks in the first three rounds allows the team to build an unbelievable defense and a rock solid offensive line.

We'll use our two 1st rounders on a WR and a CB.

Thank you, I don't know why people don't get this. Maybe not the two first round picks but two of the first three round picks. They do not have a number one WR and I'm guessing they are going to have to address CB. It's like a hamster wheel.

We actually dont know this is how it is going to play out

All we know is that we are accumulating high picks in this next draft......what if Tyrod actually has a good year? What if Peterman keeps progressing?

Bean has already stated they intend to biuld through the draft.....the team has very little depth at key positions....and players like Glenn who are showing to have lingering injury issues......

Think about what those picks could do at LB, QB, OT?

Maybe what they really intend to do is stick with their board and draft best available players (I am not betting on this....I think they are gonna draft their qb)

Unless they take 6 quarterbacks in next year's draft, I don't believe they are pushing all their chips in. OBD is just setting up to stock the team with talent at whatever positions they need. Considering the youth movement already on this team and six high picks next year the Bills should have a great nucleus going forward.

You are right about the Bills being more than a QB away from being a playoff threat. Even when the Bills draft their new first round QB in 2018, they will still not playoff contenders for the foreseeable future.

With all these high draft picks next year, I wonder if the 2019 #1 is also in play to get the guy they want.

Yeah, and if they don't get him in 2019, then they can trade away whatever little remaining talent they have left on the team to try again in the 2020 draft. That sounds like a plan!

Of course there "was a lot more to it". Matthews is a whole lot cheaper than Watkins in current, real salary for 2017, future draft picks don't cost any $$$ until they're actually used, and fans will accept the crappy offensive production because they'll be dreaming of the Bills drafting the next Peyton Manning. When the Bills send Taylor packing early on next year, they'll save his bonus $$$ and salary in 2018, too ... just like they did with Fitzpatrick in 2013 when they drafted EJ Manuel.

The 1983 NFL draft had six QBs taken in the first round. This draft is considered to be greatest QB class ever. Three HOF QBs Elway Kelly and Marino. The other three are Blackledge, second QB taken, a bust, Eason take with the pick after Kelly, a bust and O'Brien, taken before Marino, okay career. The Chiefs, Patriots and Jets all blew it. My point is odds are that some of the 2018 QB class are going to be mediocre or busts. I know teams have to take the chance but it is not a guarantee that you get the right guy. Which is why it is dangerous to trade good players.

The second greatest QB draft was in 2004, which likely will produce 2 HOFers (Roethlisberger and E Manning) which saw 4 QBs taken in the first round (#1, #4, #11, and #22). The first three QBs were successful as was 3rd rounder Matt Schaub who was a decent starter for several years. The Bills, of course, traded away their 2005 first rounder to move back into the first round and take the fourth first round QB, JP Losman, thus losing all chance of drafting Aaron Rodgers in 2005.

BTW, all of the QBs taken in the first rounds of the 2002 (3), 2006 (3), 2007(2), 2010(3), and 2013(1) drafts were busts with the exception of Jay Cutler who went #11 in 2006. That's 1 hit in 12 (about an 8% success rate).

Of course, the Bills, in their infinite and unerring wisdom, decided to trade up to grab TJ Graham in the third round of the 2012 draft rather than take Russell Wilson, but they traded back in 2013 to get another draft pick that eventually resulted in Sean McCoy coming to Buffalo, so I guess they really do know what they're doing.

Edited by SoTier

We actually dont know this is how it is going to play out

All we know is that we are accumulating high picks in this next draft......what if Tyrod actually has a good year? What if Peterman keeps progressing?

Bean has already stated they intend to biuld through the draft.....the team has very little depth at key positions....and players like Glenn who are showing to have lingering injury issues......

Think about what those picks could do at LB, QB, OT?

Maybe what they really intend to do is stick with their board and draft best available players (I am not betting on this....I think they are gonna draft their qb)

It's obvious they'll take a QB next year, but what if Taylor or Peterman light it up and the pressure to pick one high goes away. Trying to crystal ball the draft is an exercise in futility. Stockpiled picks are never bad and neither Watkins nor Darby were going to carry this team to the playoffs.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

I love when posters completely lose all credibility with one post.

I would like to have tom Brady and take my chances. as for 2018 draft, you know they can always move some assets to the 2019 draft if they need to. They are not locked into 2018 only

Yes, they could keep trading and getting draft picks out to to 2030.

If they are fantastic prospects, they'd be taking a huge risk in not coming out as more chance they'd regress than have another great year. Players always say how they are stayting until around Jan 10th or so. Then when reality hits, they leave. Will they all come out, maybe not, but doubt they'd all return too.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch