Character & Jordan Matthews

Doesn't matter. Matthews, Gaines, Boldin are the kind of character guys this admin is bringing in.

All 3 in the final year of their contracts. If we have another mediocre season, why would someone like Matthews, who will likely be in demand, stay in Buffalo?

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sick of hearing about character. This is football.....can't have 53 really nice guys on the team

But you can win with a guy who leads by example....

The example of being on the field, producing and roughing it out through the inevitable injuries that this game brings.

Something SW couldn't do

sick of hearing about character. This is football.....can't have 53 really nice guys on the team

You are misunderstanding the character that they are talking about. They are talking about dedicated, smart, hard working team oriented players that do have talent - maybe not quite as much talent as some less dedicated players, but not a wide gap. Nobody said anything about nice.

I like the type of team that they are trying to establish - it should set them up well if they finally can find a top 1/3 of the league QB.

Jauron's 7-9 finishes might look better after this season.

Those teams had very little talent. Rex and McBeane have inherited talented teams and are destroying them.

Or you could look at the 7-9 Jauron years from a different angle. We were able to go 7-9 with a team complete void of talent. During the Whaley years we went 7-9 with teams loaded up on talent. Jauron's teams could be viewed as overachievers while Whaley's teams could be viewed as talented yet lazy teams.

We have a difference in approach. My character team is jacked and nasty. They are fit. They will wreck your hungover, club-going, suspended and preening prima donnas.

Read an article about Zay Jones' Dad Robert - jacked and nasty, but of the highest character. A gamer.

Talent trumps character when talent wants to.

The only way character wins is if talent decides it doesn't matter to them.

Sammy wasn't of bad character in that regard...he wanted to ball out and get paid. He was a hard worker and was with TT working together in the offseason.

All 3 in the final year of their contracts. If we have another mediocre season, why would someone like Matthews, who will likely be in demand, stay in Buffalo?

Because he thinks the coaches, GM, & players are nice guys.

Or you could look at the 7-9 Jauron years from a different angle. We were able to go 7-9 with a team complete void of talent. During the Whaley years we went 7-9 with teams loaded up on talent. Jauron's teams could be viewed as overachievers while Whaley's teams could be viewed as talented yet lazy teams.

Fair but I would counter that the last 2 years were on Rex, who Whaley didn't hire. We had a 9-7 team on the cusp of the playoffs with a ton of talent. And then the Pegulas bought Rex's BS (I did too).

Whaley was completely handcuffed here and he wasn't perfect. But we had as much talent as the Bills have had in a long time. I feel like we are going backwards. I like the picks of White and Jones but they seem more like solid players than gamechangers. Gamechangers aren't easy to find and we just traded one away.

This is how a lot of Eagles fans felt when they trade us Shady. They hate the move and I hate this move.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

But you can win with a guy who leads by example....

The example of being on the field, producing and roughing it out through the inevitable injuries that this game brings.

Something SW couldn't do

Sammy played through injuries. He fractured his foot...you don't "rough it out" through something like that.

Sammy Watkins makes Matthews look like a scrub in comparison. His example brings squat to the table...ask the Eagles how much he was worth. They had to toss in a third rounder to unload him for an average DB in Darby.

You and others are desperately trying to justify a horrible move by this regime, but it will be indefensible when Watkins goes on to a have a brilliant career and Matthews has a pedestrian one.

Sammy played through injuries. He fractured his foot...you don't "rough it out" through something like that.

Sammy Watkins makes Matthews look like a scrub in comparison. His example brings squat to the table...ask the Eagles how much he was worth. They had to toss in a third rounder to unload him for an average DB in Darby.

You and others are desperately trying to justify a horrible move by this regime, but it will be indefensible when Watkins goes on to a have a brilliant career and Matthews has a pedestrian one.

It's such a joke. A bunch of dudes who has never played a sport in their life questioning Sammy's toughness. He rushed back too early with a foot injury (you need your feet as a receiver) and hurt it worse. But he was so tough!

You are misunderstanding the character that they are talking about. They are talking about dedicated, smart, hard working team oriented players that do have talent - maybe not quite as much talent as some less dedicated players, but not a wide gap. Nobody said anything about nice.

I like the type of team that they are trying to establish - it should set them up well if they finally can find a top 1/3 of the league QB.

I get it...how did Watkins and Darby not have football character and how do Matthews and Gaines have more?

I get it...how did Watkins and Darby not have football character and how do Matthews and Gaines have more?

It's BS...plain and simple.

This is all about the new regime choosing their guys and jettisoning more talent in order to have more control of players and the roster.

I would be mortified if we went 7-9 this year.

I had us at 6-10 before these trades and I feel we are about the same.

Rex destroyed a top tier defense.

Last years running game was good but how far did it get us?

Are you one of those guys who accuse others of wanting TT to fail to be right?

Because we moved on a Prima Donna , got something for him, and it remains to be seen if he EVER achieves his " potential". Something you take as a given.

Edited by Buffalo Boy

I'm so sick of the phrase "Buffalo guy." My group of friends want talented players. Talent helps you win. This isn't pop warner or high school football.

I liked Matthews in the draft. He is a solid type of player. I thought he had a good rookie year. But he was bad last year. The Eagles and their fans couldn't wait to upgrade at receiver. He is a #2 at best.

Let's bury the "Buffalo guy" term. Because the "Buffalo guy" loses more often than not at pro sports.

And "Buffalo Guys" often move away for better opportunities, so why should Bills players be any different?

The difference is that Levy had no clue how to run a front office and Jauron knew nothing about offense. The FO and coaching staff that we have now are veteran FO guys and veteran coordinators. World of difference.

Huh? McDermott and Beane are first timers.

I did not say that those players lacked that kind of character. The Watkin's trade is simple to explain: they were not willing to commit to the money that it would take to re-sign him after this season. That is why the trade was made.

The Darby trade is a little harder for me to explain. I don't think that they had a reason to want to ship Darby out. I guess that they wanted Mathews and the 3rd round pick.

The Rams will be smart enough to retain him via extension or tag as the #1 WR for Goff.

How smart would that be if say he plays 12 or 13 games this season?

Edited by Binghamton Beast

There was nothing wrong with Sammy's character. It's an excuse for those who felt his injuries were an insult to them.

" You're making me look bad."

Pouting and crappy body language/ borderline quiting on routes when EJ was there.

Not insulted but he wasn't a high character guy.

Disagree; no doubt the bickering Bills was a thing at one point in time, but those teams were FILLED with guys who would rather break their arm than lose a football game. You can't teach that and I don't think it "develops" over time. You have it or you don't.

All sports are filled with guys like that, and guys not like that.

I agree talent trumps "character" but only when talent realizes its full potential.

Character and team cohesiveness is almost always at its best, and that is often good enough to beat raw talent if the raw talent decides it is not interested in playing on a given day.

So Bruce getting himself suspended was an example of his desire to win at all costs?

Kelly blasting Buffalo coming out of college was an example of his winning attitude. Or his throwing his teammates under the bus, that was a character of winning?

These guys were selfish and self-centered. If Two Bills Drive were around back in the 80s, the board would have been filled with threads calling for the heads of all of the future HOFers.

Wilson, Polian, and Levy stood behind those guys during their bouts of foolishness. Levy taught them to be a team and showed them how to win.

I have a feeling that that team never would have gotten the chance to mature under Pegula, Beane, and McDermott.

8 games

28 receptions

430 yards

????

The same injury forced Kevin Durant to miss seven weeks. Shut down Dez Bryant in 2015 (9 games, 31 receptions, 401 yards, 3 TDs). Took out Edelman after nine games in 2015. Also forced Julio Jones to miss most of the 2013 season.

"The example of being on the field, producing and roughing it out through the inevitable injuries that this game brings.

Something SW couldn't do"

You understand Sammy was playing through the pain, right? The same injury that forced those guys to miss time.

Gimme an entire team full of talented thugs. The league can't suspend them all. Meanwhile we'll mop the floor with your character team.

They would be to hung over or too stoned to play ;)

Edited by JMF2006

Wasn't Jauron/Levy preaching the same thing?

How'd that work out?

Yes. McDurmutt is the anti Rex. More in the Coach Moron style of my way or the highway coaching school.

I hope it works.

For what it's worth, the D did look good Thursday night.

Sadly, I was only good enough to play this great game through high school. But even then -- you knew who the gamers were in the huddle. Sometimes they were the among the most skilled on the team and sometimes they were not. I want a team full of gamers. It is why we loved Fred. And they need not all be choirboys. LeSean is a gamer. I think Randy Moss was a gamer - his teammates loved him. And a team full of character is a team that is easy to love, which is what I want in my Bills (playoff birth would not suck either).

Sammy was a huge "gamer" when on the field.

Nobody ever said Sammy didn't have a good work ethic. In fact being the nations #1 WR prospect in high school and then backing it with great play in college and then being a top 5 pick would almost show the opposite. He has a very good work ethic. #1 bench press out of WRs at the combine. Shows work ethic

And think Dareus has bad character because he smoked pot? Cmon man Dareus is a young man who has been immature but he is a gentle giant

The dancing panda

There are murderers in the league... that would be bad character

He is a good kid and we need him on our team. He is our last all pro

I get part of that. But their two WRs were a midget and Robert Woods. That's not good. Now, they have a very good wr core.

Hopefully, they won't pull him if he struggles after 4 games and replace him with a bearded coward like the Bills.

You pay talent. There's a risk in anything. But getting ba young player with top 5 talent for a pretty average cb and a 2nd round pick is a good risk.

Imagine the reaction here if we got Amari Cooper for the same price? We'd be having a parade for Beane.

Yup -- a quality but limited late rounder like our former cb NRC and a second next year would be a huge celebration for netting any of the young impact WRs.