Character & Jordan Matthews

quite honestly i dont expect Mathews to replace Watkins.....I think that is gonna be Zay Jones Job...that is going to leave Mathews the flexibility to just come in here and make plays (like bolden)

We dont have a bonofied elite WR anymore.....we have a group of pretty good ones

Bonofied is great. Permission to use?

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So here is my question: What is wrong with Jordan Matthews that the Eagles would not only trade him for a DB coming off a bad year, but also give away a 3rd round pick?

Eagles have a young QB who needs weapons. Jordan is young.

Whats wrong with him then? Why are the Eagles so eager to get rid of him if he is such a well liked and talented WR? My Eagle fan friends don't share the same affection for Jordan as many here seem to. I mean the Eagles brought in one of the most fragile WR's in the NFL in Alshon to take the #1 job over.

Think about it...not only did they trade him for Darby, a young DB who is hard to know how good he is given he's had a good and a bad year. But they also gave up a 3rd rounder in the process, further showing how little they valued Jordan.

So again, all this talk about how good he is and how good his character is doesn't add up to what just transpired. They packaged all that "talent and character" WITH a 3rd round pick, to get a DB coming off a bad year.

It's just the anti Sammy lap dogs gobbling up whatever bones and scraps are tossed their way by McBeaner. I expected nothing less.

Yes, well the fans have bigger jobs in LA.

Man, was just about everybody on this board one of those nut jobs who hassled Sammy on his Instagram or had " a problem " with him being injured ? Because that was who he was talking to. And they deserved every word of it and then some. Seriously, it was get off my social media and go out and purchase a life type of stuff. A really bad look for Bills fans.

Jesus give it a rest dude

I'm entitled to my opinion as you are yours . Thank you and enjoy!

Man, was just about everybody on this board one of those nut jobs who hassled Sammy on his Instagram or had " a problem " with him being injured ? Because that was who he was talking to. And they deserved every word of it and then some. Seriously, it was get off my social media and go out and purchase a life type of stuff. A really bad look for Bills fans.

ok let me know when your done crying....he isnt coming back

If you think Buffaloians are the only people who would have had issues with Sammy, you are mistaken. If OBJ said that as a player in NY it would have been a huge national story. New Yorkers wouldn't have appreciated it either.

You are either all in on Sammy who will end up being the next Julio Jones or you are an "Anti Sammy lap dog"

There is no middle ground!!!

It's part of the grieving process. Isn't that how it works with former loves? We did get ourselves in deep with that guy. We gave up everything to get him. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

If you think Buffaloians are the only people who would have had issues with Sammy, you are mistaken. If OBJ said that as a player in NY it would have been a huge national story. New Yorkers wouldn't have appreciated it either.

I'm not so sure. I think it may have been laughed off as A 21 year old athlete putting a few morons in their rightful place. Amazing how few seem to comprehend that he wasn't talking to them. He was talking to a few choads harassing him on social media and that had a problem with him getting an injury. Not even people critical of his play, just those criticizing an injury which is obviously ridiculous. Perhaps just far more posters on here actually fit one of those descriptions, which is sad commentary indeed.

I'm not so sure. I think it may have been laughed off as A 21 year old athlete putting a few morons in their rightful place. Amazing how few seem to comprehend that he wasn't talking to them. He was talking to a few choads harassing him on social media and that had a problem with him getting an injury. Not even people critical of his play, just those criticizing an injury which is obviously ridiculous. Perhaps just far more posters on here actually fit one of those descriptions, which is sad commentary indeed.

No I'll agree to disagree. It would have been a huge story anywhere. Yes, I do fit that description. I have a little job that I will work the rest of my life, just like Sammy said. You don't insult an entire group of people just because someone you don't like someone belongs to that group. Sammy is a somewhat arrogant person. He could have just called them losers who are unhappy with lives taking their anger out on others. That would be a comment I could get behind. Instead a man who has never worked a standard paying job a day in his life insults the idea of working for ones entire life. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

No I'll agree to disagree. It would have been a huge story anywhere. Yes, I do fit that description. I have a little job that I will work the rest of my life, just like Sammy said. You don't insult an entire group of people just because someone you don't like someone belongs to that group. Sammy is a somewhat arrogant person. He could have just called them losers who are unhappy with lives taking their anger out on others. That would be a comment I could get behind. Instead a man who has never worked a standard paying job a day in his life insults the idea of working for ones entire life.

That's taking it a bit too personally and out of context, though I will not work the rest of my life I don't think he said anything about that. But lumping anyone else into a group of people that included " all y'all who have a problem with me being injured " is a total stretch. It's very specific. One can always better themselves and get a better job if they are unhappy with theirs. Turning a retort at a specific group into a much larger group that has no relation to that group and making it into some sort of larger comment on society or class is actually way out of context. Why lump oneself or anyone else into a group of people who have so little to do that they are harassing an athlete for having an injury? I'd also venture that prior to becoming an NFL draftee SW childhood experience was likely worse off than the majority of those who frequent this board.

then there are those of us who loved Sammy...arent partiular happy about this.....but understand the team has a plan?

That's all well and good, but this " plan" isn't readily apparent and it's ok to question it. The issue is how exactly would keeping SW for 2017 and 2018 have impeded this implementation of this plan. If the plan is to get an NFL caliber QB ( as it doesn't appear that QB is Taylor) outdoor the team not be better with a healthy SW at WR than without him? Logic would say that it would , and Watkins was already on the Bills so no further assets would have to be given up to keep him. At least that decision wouldn't need to be made for awhile, giving plenty of time to plan. Outwardly this doesn't appear to be the best move to facilitate winning , which should always be the main goal in any plan. So what's this plan, if it is so obvious? Edited by Boatdrinks

then there are those of us who loved Sammy...arent partiular happy about this.....but understand the team has a plan?

Just because a plan exists doesn't mean we all trust it or it's execution

Simply having a plan is a pretty low bar, John.

That's taking it a bit too personally and out of context, though I will not work the rest of my life I don't think he said anything about that. But lumping anyone else into a group of people that included " all y'all who have a problem with me being injured " is a total stretch. It's very specific. One can always better themselves and get a better job if they are unhappy with theirs. Turning a retort at a specific group into a much larger group that has no relation to that group and making it into some sort of larger comment on society or class is actually way out of context. Why lump oneself or anyone else into a group of people who have so little to do that they are harassing an athlete for having an injury? I'd also venture that prior to becoming an NFL draftee SW childhood experience was likely worse off than the majority of those who frequent this board.

That's all well and good, but this " plan" isn't readily apparent and it's ok to question it. The issue is how exactly would keeping SW for 2017 and 2018 have impeded this implementation of this plan. If the plan is to get an NFL caliber QB ( as it doesn't appear that QB is Taylor) outdoor the team not be better with a healthy SW at WR than without him? Logic would say that it would , and Watkins was already on the Bills so no further assets would have to be given up to keep him. At least that decision wouldn't need to be made for awhile, giving plenty of time to plan. Outwardly this doesn't appear to be the best move to facilitate winning , which should always be the main goal in any plan. So what's this plan, if it is so obvious?

Here is the quote "continue working y'all little jobs for the rest of y'all lives". It wasn't about "getting a better job" as you say. It was the idea that everything is a "little job" to a guy who makes millions. I'm happy with my job so that's not the issue. Football is an escape from reality. Myself and many others probably did take it too "personally" because arrogance abounds in our society (intentional or unintentional), even in your quote "I will not be working the rest of my life". People need to get over themselves. The last thing anyone wants to hear are athletes running their mouths in such a manner. His upbringing that you assume was terrible should be all the more reason for him to know better. I'll agree to disagree. It's just one of those issues that everyone sees differently.

Honestly I'm just ready to move on from Sammy. I'm as guilty as everyone for posting a ton on this topic. I've been caught up in this huge trade as much as everyone else. We are Buffalo Bills fans first and foremost. We need to get over Sammy, and watch out team win some games this season. That's all I really care about.

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

Here is the quote "continue working y'all little jobs for the rest of y'all lives". It wasn't about "getting a better job" as you say. It was the idea that everything is a "little job" to a guy who makes millions. I'm happy with my job so that's not the issue. Football is an escape from reality. Myself and many others probably did take it too "personally" because arrogance abounds in our society. People need to get over themselves. The last thing anyone wants to hear are athletes running their mouths in such a manner. His upbringing that you assume was terrible should be all the more reason for him to know better.

I know I read a news article that described his neighborhood as a very rough place. Again he was only talking to that specific group who were harassing him over an injury . I never implied he said anything about a better job. That was my own comment about something altogether different more about your assumptions about what he meant. Also he may think that if someone from such a bad neighborhood as his can make it so can anyone else who tries to better themselves. I have nothing to base it on , just as you have nothing to base your opinion that he must think " everything " is a little job to him. I'd say that's unlikely as many people he probably knows well or his family members are not making millions. It's a big assumption to believe he thinks that from an Instagram retaliation to a few knuckleheads. Some may look at football as an escape from reality, butvfor these guys it is their reality and their job. They are human and very young when they enter the league. I think anyone who projects those comments into something much greater than they were is just taking it way out of context.

I know I read a news article that described his neighborhood as a very rough place. Again he was only talking to that specific group who were harassing him over an injury . I never implied he said anything about a better job. That was my own comment about something altogether different more about your assumptions about what he meant. Also he may think that if someone from such a bad neighborhood as his can make it so can anyone else who tries to better themselves. I have nothing to base it on , just as you have nothing to base your opinion that he must think " everything " is a little job to him. I'd say that's unlikely as many people he probably knows well or his family members are not making millions. It's a big assumption to believe he thinks that from an Instagram retaliation to a few knuckleheads. Some may look at football as an escape from reality, butvfor these guys it is their reality and their job. They are human and very young when they enter the league. I think anyone who projects those comments into something much greater than they were is just taking it way out of context.

Good points, I just see it differently. It also sounds like you assume that those people really did have "lil jobs". I'm sure that none of them were brain surgeons, but I can promise you a few of them were probably college aged guys computer tough guys. Many of whom will probably go on to have decent careers. Being a jerk or an idiot doesn't necessarily disqualify one from decent employment. I just don't see it as something you'd hear from a high character guy. These kind of shenanigans don't seem to mesh with the McBean philosophy.

That's all well and good, but this " plan" isn't readily apparent and it's ok to question it. The issue is how exactly would keeping SW for 2017 and 2018 have impeded this implementation of this plan. If the plan is to get an NFL caliber QB ( as it doesn't appear that QB is Taylor) outdoor the team not be better with a healthy SW at WR than without him? Logic would say that it would , and Watkins was already on the Bills so no further assets would have to be given up to keep him. At least that decision wouldn't need to be made for awhile, giving plenty of time to plan. Outwardly this doesn't appear to be the best move to facilitate winning , which should always be the main goal in any plan. So what's this plan, if it is so obvious?

It seems to me that they are doing exactly what they said they were gonna do from the start......biuld through the draft....I fully expect them to cut players to get that 3rd comp pick as well.

They are (in my opinion) giving themselves both a bunch of draft picks AND cap flexibility. They are probably waiting to see if TT is the answer or not and then we probably position for a qb next year

OR.....if TT shows that he can play the system we will be selecting a LOT of players high in needed positions........

Just because a plan exists doesn't mean we all trust it or it's execution

Simply having a plan is a pretty low bar, John.

Its not gonna happen overnight Saint...having a plan means actually sticking to it

The Rams will be smart enough to retain him via extension or tag as the #1 WR for Goff.

The sammy hate was out of control here, but there is no way he is a top receiver in the league. If they pay him as such then I wouldn't say it's smart to pay a top 30 guy like a top 5.

Some of the "talent wins" rubbish in this thread I just can't believe. Same with the "Sammy was a hard-worker and more talented" defensiveness. As the OP, did not even suggest anything bad about Sammy or suggest one should accept lesser talent to get a hard worker.

What was said was Jordan Matthews is in fact and exceptionally hard worker, and a great teammate. An accomplished pro. That says nothing bad about Sammy or accepting lesser talent for a "character guy." Those cannot be bad traits in any world I know of.

And we didn't trade Sammy for Mathews anyhow, we traded Darby for Mathews. And Darby - by my eye test - was quite poor last year and is not a scheme fit. He is not physical. He does not seem a powerful tackler. That we got a solid, professional, hard-working WR and a 3rd for a corner we didn't really want is fantastic.

Jordan Matthews is not Sammy, never said he was. But they traded Sammy because either (i) they did not want to pay up for as-yet significantly unrealized potential and have another albatross contract, or (ii) they knew Sammy did not want to be here. Getting a pro like Matthews to fill that hole is a positive, as is his stellar character, as is his size and ability to work a zone. And as one poster above is - he is the kind of guy this admin wants to bring in. Which we should cheer. That says nothing bad about Sammy.

And there ARE number 1 wideouts in 2018 FA I would rather give "Sammy money" to than Sammy given this injury history. That has nothing to do with the fact that Jordan Matthews is a nice add to our team. And as I said, I liked Sammy, had a Watkins jersey - wishing him well. But Jordan Matthews and his "high character," lunch-bucket, Buffalo guy (perhaps old Buffalo) work ethic are a valuable addition independent of Sammy.

So here is my question: What is wrong with Jordan Matthews that the Eagles would not only trade him for a DB coming off a bad year, but also give away a 3rd round pick?

Eagles have a young QB who needs weapons. Jordan is young.

Whats wrong with him then? Why are the Eagles so eager to get rid of him if he is such a well liked and talented WR? My Eagle fan friends don't share the same affection for Jordan as many here seem to. I mean the Eagles brought in one of the most fragile WR's in the NFL in Alshon to take the #1 job over.

Think about it...not only did they trade him for Darby, a young DB who is hard to know how good he is given he's had a good and a bad year. But they also gave up a 3rd rounder in the process, further showing how little they valued Jordan.

So again, all this talk about how good he is and how good his character is doesn't add up to what just transpired. They packaged all that "talent and character" WITH a 3rd round pick, to get a DB coming off a bad year.

There's not necessarily anything wrong with him. It's just that they want a DB more than they want a WR. They probably see Darby as a good fit in their D, however he performed under Rex.

The added 3rd rounder was simply market value. If you want something as much as they wanted Darby, you have to pay the price.

Whats wrong with him then? Why are the Eagles so eager to get rid of him if he is such a well liked and talented WR?

Interesting question. Let's try it this way;

here is my question: What is wrong with Sammy Watkins that the Bills would not only trade him for a DB coming off a bad year, and only get a 2nd round pick?

Whats wrong with him then? Why are the Bills so eager to get rid of him if he is such a well liked and talented WR?

People still hold Gilmore not smiling at the draft against him.

Some people need to move on. He's not a Bill anymore.

Guy comes into BUF keeping it low key..... a sign of good character, some might say.🤔

Edited by Buffalo Boy

There's not necessarily anything wrong with him. It's just that they want a DB more than they want a WR. They probably see Darby as a good fit in their D, however he performed under Rex.

The added 3rd rounder was simply market value. If you want something as much as they wanted Darby, you have to pay the price.

This all makes sense to me given what the Eagles have at WR and the huge need they had at CB.

I couldn't care less what anyone says on Fakebook or social media. I certainly hope Beane isn't making personnel decisions based on it.

Edited by reddogblitz

Goff < ej is mine. Wentz is real deal goff is not

Agreed. I've watched Wentz more than Goff <disclaimer> but it isn't remotely close. Wentz has better understanding of NFL offenses and Goff always appeared lost with no poise. Wentz has quicker release too.

Agreed. I've watched Wentz more than Goff <disclaimer> but it isn't remotely close. Wentz has better understanding of NFL offenses and Goff always appeared lost with no poise. Wentz has quicker release too.

Root I'm in the weeds here when I find myself agreeing with you and hemet lol

Should be an interesting season

:beer:

Wentz has quite a bit of growing to do as he regressed in 16 as the season went on. Goff wasn't ready at all and his problems were exacerbated by weak OL play and no run game.

Wentz has quite a bit of growing to do as he regressed in 16 as the season went on. Goff wasn't ready at all and his problems were exacerbated by weak OL play and no run game.

If Wentz doesn't start throwing downfield more his career will paralell Trent Edwards'. He didn't "regress" as much as teams figured out he wasn't going down field and adjusted likewise as Defenses did to Trent.

Goff also wasn't ready to get his clock cleaned by Richard Sherman.

It seems to me that they are doing exactly what they said they were gonna do from the start......biuld through the draft....I fully expect them to cut players to get that 3rd comp pick as well.

They are (in my opinion) giving themselves both a bunch of draft picks AND cap flexibility. They are probably waiting to see if TT is the answer or not and then we probably position for a qb next year

OR.....if TT shows that he can play the system we will be selecting a LOT of players high in needed positions........

Its not gonna happen overnight Saint...having a plan means actually sticking to it

are we going to hear about the plan no matter how the next few years go? Is this the new catch phrase defense of any decision that the fan base questions?

Hopefully the plans great but you do realize every leader in this 20 year debacle has had a plan? At some point you have to defend the merits of it and it's execution if you are going to point at it.

We have a difference in approach. My character team is jacked and nasty. They are fit. They will wreck your hungover, club-going, suspended and preening prima donnas.

Read an article about Zay Jones' Dad Robert - jacked and nasty, but of the highest character. A gamer.

New England says they are not your team but they fit the description.

are we going to hear about the plan no matter how the next few years go? Is this the new catch phrase defense of any decision that the fan base questions?

Hopefully the plans great but you do realize every leader in this 20 year debacle has had a plan? At some point you have to defend the merits of it and it's execution if you are going to point at it.

They all didn't have plans and they all weren't leaders.

G. Williams wasn't a leader, he was a boss/ bully.

Jerkron? Plan????

Yep.

Fans will already be tired of McDermotts plan when they win 6 games each of the next two seasons.

He will be a dead man walking, like every other coach was throughout the drought.

He ain't getting 5 years.

Ah, That beautiful TBD optimism 😂😂😂