Bills trade Sammy Watkins to Rams for CB Gaines, 2nd rd pick

Roundybout

I hated it because I think that 24 year-olds with his talent are the guys that are crucial in a rebuild. I could have understood trading Shady for example. By the time you are ready to win he will be on his last legs. By the time that you are ready to win Watkins might be a top 3 receiver.

And, I still think they sold low. This reminds me of the Lynch trade, I'm sure they could have gotten more for him, if that was the plan.

I hated it because I think that 24 year-olds with his talent are the guys that are crucial in a rebuild. I could have understood trading Shady for example. By the time you are ready to win he will be on his last legs. By the time that you are ready to win Watkins might be a top 3 receiver.

Troooooffff!!

And, I still think they sold low. This reminds me of the Lynch trade, I'm sure they could have gotten more for him, if that was the plan.

the thing about the Lynch trade, the whole league knew Lynch didnt want to be here, Lynch was an off-field problem on multiple occasions. Bills had very little leverage in dealing Lynch. Lucky we got what we did.

the thing about the Lynch trade, the whole league knew Lynch didnt want to be here, Lynch was an off-field problem on multiple occasions. Bills had very little leverage in dealing Lynch. Lucky we got what we did.

But it was reported Green Bay was interested and was going to offer more. But they just took the first offer.

That's because they knew he was out before. He impacts every single play.

http://walterfootball.com/nflpicks2016_03early.php

Week 3 of 2016, news came out late that Sammy would not be playing. The spread went from +4 to +5. So that's actually more than I was expecting but still low. That's the value Vegas puts on Sammy, a single point. Which is still really high for one player that isn't a QB! But it puts things in perspective.

But it was reported Green Bay was interested and was going to offer more. But they just took the first offer.

That was Buddy Nix either being senile or more likely vindictive by sending ML to a bad team instead of to GB. He wasn't very good at predicting the future, obviously.

Sammy and Woods back together again. I hope they do well.

I like Matthews.

and I like Gaines in zone.

Darby doesn't fit scheme and Watkins? well that is a calculated risk.

I like the boldness, i don't feel tank. I feel a plan is emerging and changing the status quo with a hard right that nearly sets the airbags off, is just a riot.

I love this amazing feeling of insanity for minute. When i first read it I too was WTF F!!!!!!!
But i am more interested in the season now than i was before honestly.

Crazy f'rs Beane, Sean and Pegulas !

Sammy and Woods back together again. I hope they do well.

I like Matthews.

and I like Gaines in zone.

Darby doesn't fit scheme and Watkins? well that is a calculated risk.

I like the boldness, i don't feel tank. I feel a plan is emerging and changing the status quo with a hard right that nearly sets the airbags off, is just a riot.

I love this amazing feeling of insanity for minute. When i first read it I too was WTF F!!!!!!!

But i am more interested in the season now than i was before honestly.

Crazy f'rs Beane, Sean and Pegulas !

Why do you like Gaines over Darby in zone?

Cheers!

Thanks Common sense !

and to you as well.

I am not one for stats. I and even worse at defending a position I might take.

I have too many numbers in my head already.

And i do not care to secure my reasoning for another.

How do your perceive Gaines ?

Cheers!

BTW I meant no insult towards you Commonsense.

....according to the Buffalo News, popcorn sales are up 66.7% in WNY since 5:08PM......fine WHINE is up 66.6% as well.......

2 1st 2 2nds 2thrds

Hope the Popcorn don't get stale while waiting for next season. It might.

way to turn the fan base upon it's head ! wow.

Thanks Common sense !

and to you as well.

I am not one for stats. I and even worse at defending a position I might take.

I have too many numbers in my head already.

And i do not care to secure my reasoning for another.

How do your perceive Gaines ?

Haven't seen a ton of him TBH but from what I have read he is a tackler, I like corners that can tackle. He is shorter than an ideal zone CB and according to various scouting reports he is tight in the hips. Not the kind of guy I'd go home with but I'm sure he play CB in a pinch.

From reading up on him he is another "good attitude" "proffesional" player, I have been begging for an attitude change in the locker room but I am concerned he is doing it in exchange for talent.

Haven't seen a ton of him TBH but from what I have read he is a tackler, I like corners that can tackle. He is shorter than an ideal zone CB and according to various scouting reports he is tight in the hips. Not the kind of guy I'd go home with but I'm sure he play CB in a pinch.

From reading up on him he is another "good attitude" "proffesional" player, I have been begging for an attitude change in the locker room but I am concerned he is doing it in exchange for talent.

I have read both good and bad. Have not watched him play. Just trying to catch up on him.

Lets us hope the secondary is a sum of it's parts and not about the individual as much. The Poyer Hyde experiment worries me enough already

Pray for good Coaching is what i do.

Thanks for the good note back

Perhaps, but Darby was not very good last year and the defense was virtually unchanged from the year before. The two trades go hand-in-hand, essentially we traded a WR and a CB for another WR and CB + draft picks. We are taking a downgrade this year to improve long term and I think that's OK, and the reality is that Matthews is a productive NFL receiver and Gaines has potential (though he needs to regain his 2014 form which may not happen). Our forte is still in the run game and we've added two productive receivers in Boldin and Matthews plus a solid prospect in Jones as our top three. No reason to think we can't be competitive this year. Sammy missed a ton of time last year and we still could have made the playoffs if Rex and Rob's defense wasn't so pathetic.

This is where I am at. I've been asking for smarter good attitude guys for a long time, but you still need a soild talent base. It reminds me of the Pats assistants who failed as head coaches. They tried to follow BB's character guy philosophy, but didn't have any talent (Brady).

SI is calling this a tank job:

https://www.si.com/mmqb/2017/08/11/sammy-watkins-trade-los-angeles-rams-buffalo-bills-jordan-matthews-philadelphia-eagles?utm_campaign=themmqb&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social

Watkins was the most purely talented player on Buffalo’s roster, and obviously more valuable than Gaines, a starter for the Rams who struggled in his return from the Lisfranc injury

That's where I'm at now. I'd trade Shady, Tyrod and maybe even Hughes. Let Kyle retire and Wood walk. If you've decided not to compete for the playoffs you shouldn't try to win 7 games.

trading shady would be hard but I would

This is a good day. Taking the long view with a new and, seemingly, more sane FO is a sign that the future is planned. I like that.

While Sammy is a game changing player, the FO is the one who has access to the medical records. There may have been something there. Conversely, it may simply be a case of stack the draft. Either way, I trust this FO until they give me a reason not to.

If we were tanking then Peterman would be our starting QB. We're going to do what we always do and be bad enough to not make the playoffs but good enough to not have a top pick. Get ready for a 6-10 or 7-9 season with the 9th pick in the draft. We'll get to watch other teams take QBs while we draft a CB to replace Darby. Or maybe we'll take another WR in the top 10. That'd be fun.

This is a good day. Taking the long view with a new and, seemingly, more sane FO is a sign that the future is planned. I like that.

While Sammy is a game changing player, the FO is the one who has access to the medical records. There may have been something there. Conversely, it may simply be a case of stack the draft. Either way, I trust this FO until they give me a reason not to.

Nonsense. The Rams team physician will get SWs medical records. This was about not being able to resign SW after they blew off his 5th year option.

"In the long run, we'll all be dead."--John Maynard Keynes

Perhaps, but Darby was not very good last year and the defense was virtually unchanged from the year before. The two trades go hand-in-hand, essentially we traded a WR and a CB for another WR and CB + draft picks. We are taking a downgrade this year to improve long term and I think that's OK, and the reality is that Matthews is a productive NFL receiver and Gaines has potential (though he needs to regain his 2014 form which may not happen). Our forte is still in the run game and we've added two productive receivers in Boldin and Matthews plus a solid prospect in Jones as our top three. No reason to think we can't be competitive this year. Sammy missed a ton of time last year and we still could have made the playoffs if Rex and Rob's defense wasn't so pathetic.

Makes sense !

Sammy is a free agent next year and will be asking for a big payday , so at least we got a 2nd round pick for him , and I guess Darby was not a good fit for what we're trying to do on defense , the good thing is that will have some fire power at the next year's draft

I'm still not too happy about seeing Watkins go, but let's be real here. We have zero shot at winning the division this year, and a very small chance at best at a wild card birth. Tom Brady is 40 and has maybe a few good years left (we hope). This trade is about the future.

From what I've read/heard, the 2018 draft is supposed to be very strong and deep. We now have 6 picks in the top 90,maybe more when all is said and done. This team has tried the bandaid approach for way too long. They haven't legitimately built through the draft in a long time. Beane hired what looks to be a top end front office and scouting/personnel staff. So let's allow them to build this team from the ground up through the draft and see what happens.

It doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense to pay Watkins $15-$20M per season when Tyrod could very likely be gone after this year and they would be starting over at QB. How willing would Sammy Watkins be to re-sign here if the Bills start from scratch yet again at QB (or even if TT stays if he's not consistently able to get Watkins the ball)? That would be the 3rd time in his 4 years here.

Until the Bills become a legitimate threat as a passing offense, it doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense to employ a $17+M WR...

This trade is basically just correcting a previous mistake. The Watkins trade made no sense with EJ Manuel as your #1 QB. It was trying to prop up a bad 1st round pick by trading away multiple 1sts and a 4th for a WR they were basically incapable of getting the ball to in the first place. I feel like LA might be doing a similar thing to what the Bills did - trying to fix a bad QB pick. Maybe Goff breaks out though, who knows. But If he plays anything like he did last year, Sammy ain't signing an extension there.

It sucks giving up on the potential Sammy Watkins has. But I'm willing to let this play out and see what type of team theee new guys build. From what I've read on Matthews, he does seem to fit the new culture better. Super hard worker, outstanding teammate and total team first guy. Fits the scheme well too. That's a somewhat similar approach to what the Patriots have used for years for team building. Let's hope it works...