Is there a way to get Sammy in space?

I'm convinced we haven't used all of Sammy's talents as a WR.

One thing we've seen is how well he plays "after the catch" when he's in the open field. He has burners and world class speed when he is moving straight ahead. His stress fractures (in my opinion) have a lot to do with his propensity to "start, stop and plant" plant his foot on quick out patterns. He is so good at selling his pattern that he typically shakes off a CB to make himself open.

That being said - there is one part of our game where I think Sammy could really help and it mirrors the bubble screens from college (i.e. it gets him in space):

Special teams:

1) He has the ability to catch a kickoff or punt. Check

2) He is elusive when approaching tacklers. Check

3) World class speed. Check

4) Ability to break tackles if applicable. Check

5) Running straight ahead doesn't put stress on that injured foot or ankle. Check.

Adding Sammy as a punt returner and kick off returner would put him in space and we'd be able to see his talents on full display. Certainly, if he wants that "big contract" he'd gonna need to contribute in other ways.

Thoughts?

Lol. Nice

I'm sure they'll try and have been trying for that matter. The good thing about Sammy though is that he can create the space himself and can even make tough catches when there is no space. He just needs to stay on the field and get some decent QB play from Taylor.

You don't need to be able to play special teams to earn a big contract if you're a WR. Most of the ones with big contracts don't do both.

Running straight won't put stress on the foot? You don't just run straight on kickoffs or punts. Those holes don't just open up in the middle. You have to make very quick change of direction because you have 10 special teamers running at you.

If you're concerned about the stress on his foot, why put him on special teams?

One thing we've seen is how well he plays "after the catch" when he's in the open field. He has burners and world class speed when he is moving straight ahead. His stress fractures (in my opinion) have a lot to do with his propensity to "start, stop and plant" plant his foot on quick out patterns. He is so good at selling his pattern that he typically shakes off a CB to make himself open.

That being said - there is one part of our game where I think Sammy could really help and it mirrors the bubble screens from college (i.e. it gets him in space):

Special teams:

5) Running straight ahead doesn't put stress on that injured foot or ankle. Check.

Adding Sammy as a punt returner and kick off returner would put him in space and we'd be able to see his talents on full display. Certainly, if he wants that "big contract" he'd gonna need to contribute in other ways.

Thoughts?

I don't think the reward would outweigh the risk. The Bills have been pretty good on returns recently. Replacing Tate with Watkins might yield a TD or 2, but it also puts Sammy at higher risk of injury. Losing him to injury would cripple our passing attack. We need him on the field for those 25-35 passes per game much more than we need him for 5-6 returns.

I don't think it's a terrible idea, but I personally wouldn't want to put him at risk of getting clobbered by someone running at him full speed. I would have Jones return over Watkins.

I'm not really sure putting your number one injury prone WR on special teams is the answer.

Bills ranked 19th in kickoff return yards per attempt with 21.3

Bills ranked 6th in punt return yardage with an 11.2 average.

So how much do we improve from 19th/6th by moving Sammy to special teams? No way would I take that risk/reward.

I'm not really sure putting your number one injury prone WR on special teams is the answer.

Bills ranked 19th in kickoff return yards per attempt with 21.3

Bills ranked 6th in punt return yardage with an 11.2 average.

So how much do we improve from 19th/6th by moving Sammy to special teams? No way would I take that risk/reward.

You put your best players on the field as much as possible.

Lorenzo Alexander was probably our best defensive player last year and he loves special teams and played it in addition to his linebacker duties.

Why not put our best offensive playmaker out there to receive punts or kicks? If you worry about injuries all the time we'll never see a player's best work.

Is it that Sammy refuses to play Special Teams? If so, that's a risk/reward that applies to our team (i.e. whether he's willing to play any position to help the team at all costs).

He's a sturdy fellow...he can handle being tackled when he runs up the middle on a kick return.

Special teams:

Thoughts?

There really isn't a lot of 'space' on special teams. Punts often are fair caught because there is no 'space' to run. Kickoffs are usually touchbacks or the players get hit pretty hard by a lot of fast running , hard hitting linebackers. Not a good idea, or were you just joking?

There really isn't a lot of 'space' on special teams. Punts often are fair caught because there is no 'space' to run. Kickoffs are usually touchbacks or the players get hit pretty hard by a lot of fast running , hard hitting linebackers. Not a good idea, or were you just joking?

Read above: Put your best players on the field as much as possible.

(For example: Patrick Peterson for the Cardinals. Star CB and kick returner.)

Lorenzo Alexander was probably our best defensive player last year and he loves special teams and played it in addition to his linebacker duties.

Why not put our best offensive playmaker out there to receive punts or kicks? If you worry about injuries all the time we'll never see a player's best work.

Is it that Sammy refuses to play Special Teams? If so, that's a risk/reward that applies to our team (i.e. whether he's willing to play any position to help the team at all costs).

He's a sturdy fellow...he can handle being tackled when he runs up the middle on a kick return.

But you don't be careless about it.

Read above: Put your best players on the field as much as possible.

(For example: Patrick Peterson for the Cardinals. Star CB and kick returner.)

Yeah, I 'Read above' - that's how I came to comment on your post.

TT is faster than Sammy, how about have him return kicks?

Watch Clemson Tape. Incorporate into your offense.

There Easy

And no that doesnt include putting him on ST

Pretty much... watch miami tape with landry too. Move him around - throw him quick passes if they line up off him. His speed and strength make it hard to bump him at the line without basically shading a safety to play over the top. If they're bumping, then its likely that there will be space. Unfortunately it's probably in the middle of the field :lol::lol:

I've always found this widely accepted idea of "getting players into space" to be a myth. Aside from a rocket ship, the only way to get a player into space is by using them on punt/kickoff returns. That is a risk which most coaches aren't willing to take with their star players. Elite players have the ability to get themselves into space. A receiver who is a good route runner with elite speed should be able to win battles with defenders. Winning such battles allows the receiver to get into space. I'm not convinced that you can always game plan "space" in the pros. Players like Rice and Moss created their own space.

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

Jailbreak screens, quick slants, endarounds, etc. etc.

Those each have a place, but I'd prefer we just get the ball to Sammy on "standard" routes.

Guys like Reggie Bush, Percy Harvin and Cordarelle Patterson that need the ball in a certain way to succeed aren't worth the trouble.

Edited by TheElectricCompany

Jailbreak screens, quick slants, endarounds, etc. etc.

Those each have a place, but I'd prefer we just get the ball to Sammy on "standard" routes.

Guys like Reggie Bush, Percy Harvin and Cordarelle Patterson that need the ball in a certain way to succeed aren't worth the trouble.

I agree. Elite players make their own space. You gave great examples of players who needed "space" to be part of the game plan. They were all gadget players who didn't have great all around games. Many of these type of play calls aren't very successful in the pros either. College offenses can dominate calling only "space" plays. Those types of plays usually get shutdown in the pros. Only the Pats* succeed with them consistently. Apparently the NFL has decided that holding doesn't apply when they run a screen.

Lorenzo Alexander came here to play Special Teams and got his opportunity after an injury.

Sammy is and has been our #1 WR.

Why isn't Julio Jones or AJ Green returning kicks?

Isn't the best ability availability? that's my point about why risk further injury.

Also your acting like Sammy will be an upgrade in our return game.

In college Sammy averaged 22.9 yards per kick off return with 1 TD over three seasons.

He averaged 3.8 yards on his 6 punt returns over three years. These are college stats that are average.

Lorenzo Alexander came here to play Special Teams and got his opportunity after an injury.

Sammy is and has been our #1 WR.

Why isn't Julio Jones or AJ Green returning kicks?

Jones and Green have talented QB's throwing them the ball. By returning kicks and/or punts, we are taking our QB's shortcomings out of the equation.

Not to mention, we now have Boldin...there's even more reason to have Sammy work on another part of his game after his ankle heals.