Wild Idea for GM

Although this seems extremely unlikely to happen, what would you guys think about the Bills going after someone who is widely believed by many around the NFL to be a great football mind, and has been mentioned before as a potential GM, should he ever decide to take that route...Peyton Manning.

I don't expect this to happen, but it seems like many people believe he would make a fantastic head coach or GM some day. How would you feel if the Bills were to go after Peyton Manning for their open GM position?

Although this seems extremely unlikely to happen, what would you guys think about the Bills going after someone who is widely believed by many around the NFL to be a great football mind, and has been mentioned before as a potential GM, should he ever decide to take that route...Peyton Manning.

I don't expect this to happen, but it seems like many people believe he would make a fantastic head coach or GM some day. How would you feel if the Bills were to go after Peyton Manning for their open GM position?

No thanks. Its one thing to be a smart football player, but player evaluation and making business decisions around personnel is a whole other animal. Doesn't mean Peyton can't be a good GM, but we need someone who has shown the ability to evaluate, discover, and compile talent rather than take a chance on a retired player with no FO experience. There are just too many other good, more established, and proven options...many of which we are in talks with, to go with the unknown.

I know John Elway has had some success, but this idea would make me nervous.

What does Manning know about organizing, mentoring and leading a staff of football scouts, let alone evaluating college talent?

Edited by hondo in seattle

No thanks. Its one thing to be a smart football player, but player evaluation and making business decisions around personnel is a whole other animal. Doesn't mean Peyton can't be a good GM, but we need someone who has shown the ability to evaluate, discover, and compile talent rather than take a chance on a retired player with no FO experience. There are just too many other good, more established, and proven options...many of which we are in talks with, to go with the unknown.

Tell that to Elway

I know John Elway has had some success, but this idea would make me nervous.

What does Manning know about organizing, mentoring and leading a staff of football scouts, let alone evaluating college talent?

Elway also ran an arena team before he joined the Broncos iirc

put the blunt down.Interesting idea, unlikely it will happen

Why do we assume McD wants full control? Is it because he didn't let a guy that was about to be fired make all the decisions?

Why would we not? Every act, to this point has indicated control. I've never seen a guy willingly relinquish power in the NFL. He is currently buying the groceries and cooking the meal. He isn't going to give up the grocery buying if he doesn't have to.

No. Excelling at QB doesn't necessarily mean you'll be good at evaluating talent. I'm all for getting a creative mind in there but they have to have some sort of GM or assistance GM experience. I'm a bit apprehensive thus far about the search for both teams. The Sabres seem bent on picking off more people with or formerly with Pittsburgh while the Bills might be doing the same with Carolina, if rumors are true.

Guest NeckBeard

I think it's a wilder idea to tie the HC and GM together at the hip, and if things go south, then fire them both and start again. I've come to the line of thinking that a GM does not transcend the organization, and that a good HC knows the talent he has, and the missing pieces he needs for the roster. So, the HC states his needs, and the GM figures out how to fill them in a cap-sane way. The GM has a full plate, so it's not like giving roster control to the HC is some kind of castration. The HC has a full plate, so setting the board will not be within his responsibilities. Plus in this model, both can report directly to the owner, because their fates are both sealed by way of success or failure.

I'm good with manning getting his shot someday. But I would prefer Buffalo not to be the guinea pig. Too huge of a gamble for a franchise that's been a disaster IMO. I like the idea of proven up and comers which seems to be the route they're going

Why would we not? Every act, to this point has indicated control. I've never seen a guy willingly relinquish power in the NFL. He is currently buying the groceries and cooking the meal. He isn't going to give up the grocery buying if he doesn't have to.

I don't think he wants full control. He took control this offseason because he needed the roster to move towards his vision for the team instead of Whaley's. Our current search is for someone who can continue taking the team in that direction so he can focus on coaching.

Why would you give that critical job to someone who has zero front office experience?

Why would Whaley have any kind of control when he was going to be fired? I see why you're making that assumption but I'm not quite ready to agree just yet.

All I've heard and read is McD is running the show.

I don't doubt McD was running the show. All I'm saying is that why wouldn't he if he knew Whaley was about to be fired?

jacknicholsonblink.gif

Elway also ran an arena team before he joined the Broncos iirc

Exactly right. While it wasn't at the same level, I'm sure Elway learned a lot from the process. At the same time, Pat Bowlen could see Elway had an aptitude for this kind of work.

Matt Millen says hello.

An example from the other end of the spectrum. Being a good player in no way, shape, or form makes you a good evaluator of players.

Would Manning be another Elway? Or another Millen?

I don't think he wants full control. He took control this offseason because he needed the roster to move towards his vision for the team instead of Whaley's. Our current search is for someone who can continue taking the team in that direction so he can focus on coaching.

kinda deep thinker aren't you ?

:beer:

good call imho

I always saw Manning as a coach after he retired. He was like his own OC on the field.

I see him having a role in the NFL again/ after a season of golfing and relaxing he likely will want back in.

Good fun thread starter Chuck ! well Done.

I think GM is to highly specialized for Peyton. But I am sure he fits in there somewhere. and yes i would be glad to have him working with the Bills.

QB whisperer at the very least

An example from the other end of the spectrum. Being a good player in no way, shape, or form makes you a good evaluator of players.

Would Manning be another Elway? Or another Millen?

I think Manning could do well, but it would be a mistake to give him the keys, without first getting him front office experience.

I always saw Manning as a coach after he retired. He was like his own OC on the field.

He should be an OC and then move onto HC. And he'll likely be great at both.

No way would I take a chance on him as GM. Totally different skill set.