Wild Idea for GM

Although this seems extremely unlikely to happen, what would you guys think about the Bills going after someone who is widely believed by many around the NFL to be a great football mind, and has been mentioned before as a potential GM, should he ever decide to take that route...Peyton Manning.

I don't expect this to happen, but it seems like many people believe he would make a fantastic head coach or GM some day. How would you feel if the Bills were to go after Peyton Manning for their open GM position?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although this seems extremely unlikely to happen, what would you guys think about the Bills going after someone who is widely believed by many around the NFL to be a great football mind, and has been mentioned before as a potential GM, should he ever decide to take that route...Peyton Manning.

I don't expect this to happen, but it seems like many people believe he would make a fantastic head coach or GM some day. How would you feel if the Bills were to go after Peyton Manning for their open GM position?

No thanks. Its one thing to be a smart football player, but player evaluation and making business decisions around personnel is a whole other animal. Doesn't mean Peyton can't be a good GM, but we need someone who has shown the ability to evaluate, discover, and compile talent rather than take a chance on a retired player with no FO experience. There are just too many other good, more established, and proven options...many of which we are in talks with, to go with the unknown.

I know John Elway has had some success, but this idea would make me nervous.

What does Manning know about organizing, mentoring and leading a staff of football scouts, let alone evaluating college talent?

Edited by hondo in seattle

No thanks. Its one thing to be a smart football player, but player evaluation and making business decisions around personnel is a whole other animal. Doesn't mean Peyton can't be a good GM, but we need someone who has shown the ability to evaluate, discover, and compile talent rather than take a chance on a retired player with no FO experience. There are just too many other good, more established, and proven options...many of which we are in talks with, to go with the unknown.

Tell that to Elway

I know John Elway has had some success, but this idea would make me nervous.

What does Manning know about organizing, mentoring and leading a staff of football scouts, let alone evaluating college talent?

Elway also ran an arena team before he joined the Broncos iirc

put the blunt down.Interesting idea, unlikely it will happen

Why do we assume McD wants full control? Is it because he didn't let a guy that was about to be fired make all the decisions?

Why would we not? Every act, to this point has indicated control. I've never seen a guy willingly relinquish power in the NFL. He is currently buying the groceries and cooking the meal. He isn't going to give up the grocery buying if he doesn't have to.

No. Excelling at QB doesn't necessarily mean you'll be good at evaluating talent. I'm all for getting a creative mind in there but they have to have some sort of GM or assistance GM experience. I'm a bit apprehensive thus far about the search for both teams. The Sabres seem bent on picking off more people with or formerly with Pittsburgh while the Bills might be doing the same with Carolina, if rumors are true.