The issue is the mgmt. performance which got us to White

We gave a fortune to a waste of a person in Dareus, so we have no cap space to find a way to keep another first round choice in Gilmore, That brings us to spend this yrs first on a CB rather than building up other weak positions. We will need a stud DT as Kyle is getting older and Dareus cannot be trusted to be available.

We are still the hamster on the wheel.

You'll be eating crow come September. Dareus was horribly miscast in Rex's defense as the nose tackle. Not that he couldn't hand that to me adequately, but you don't pay $100 million to a nose.

McDermott's defense relies on disruptive, penetrating players at the DT spots, which is where both Dated and KW made their money, especially in Schwartz's defense. This should be a dream come true for us Bills fans and instead we're still crying over spilled milk

We gave a fortune to a waste of a person in Dareus, so we have no cap space to find a way to keep another first round choice in Gilmore, That brings us to spend this yrs first on a CB rather than building up other weak positions. We will need a stud DT as Kyle is getting older and Dareus cannot be trusted to be available.

Explain why they would want to spend nearly 15 million on Gilmore - when they drafted a replacement last year and a got extra picks and a leader out of this draft.

They drafted Kyle's replacement last year and Gilly's replacement last year.

Heck they even drafted a replacement WR last year to be prepared for 2017.

It feels to me like this is a hot take - fire Whaley position rather than looking at the actual roster and plan.

I do not see wheels spinning - I see them doing what every other team does - making choices on where to spend money and I would take Dareus all day over Gilmore - especially in this defense.

Waste of a person is very harsh for a young man. He smoked weed,or whatever. That dont make him a waste. For the record,he's very generous in his charity work. Yeah...what a waste of breathe that young man is👎

You'll be eating crow come September. Dareus was horribly miscast in Rex's defense as the nose tackle. Not that he couldn't hand that to me adequately, but you don't pay $100 million to a nose.

McDermott's defense relies on disruptive, penetrating players at the DT spots, which is where both Dated and KW made their money, especially in Schwartz's defense. This should be a dream come true for us Bills fans and instead we're still crying over spilled milk

Seriously, suspensions have nothing to do with coaching unless you think Rex sold him the drugs.

Waste of a person is very harsh for a young man. He smoked weed,or whatever. That dont make him a waste. For the record,he's very generous in his charity work. Yeah...what a waste of breathe that young man is

This is the same guy who told everyone he was going to rehab and then didn't go.

weed or not the Bills pay him millions not to smoke weed.

So what got us to White?

Explain the miss management ?

If we did not make the Dareus mistake, Gilmore may still be here (maybe for the same Dareus money) and we could be addressing other needs rather than

re- addressing the same need,. Dareus is a hole that had to be filled as he is not trustworthy even to be available.

We could've signed Gilmore or a variety of free agents

we didn't just get a few freeagents we actually used a 1 st round pick to replace another first round pick. That is spinning your wheels

Relatively speaking, White is a much lower cost asset who'll be under control for the next 5 years.

this is the only logical way to consider the wheel spinning,

Maybe the Bills chose not to keep Gilmore because they realized CB is typically among the easiest transitions from college to pro and they can get similar production for a fraction of the cost? You know, like lots of other teams do? But you are right...your story is more fun Edited by matter2003

Maybe the Bills chose not to keep Gilmore because they realized CB is typically among the easiest transitions from college to pro and they can get similar production for a fraction of the cost? You know, like lots of other teams do? But you are right...your story is more fun

Except the Patriots who thought Gilmore was worth the investment and we think Dareus (who the Pats would have thrown out long ago) was more value.

Oh yeh, we missed the playoffs again (and again) and we all know what they have done.

And don't say Tom Brady....we cannot find a Tom Brady because we keep spinning wheels replacing quality first round picks. It is one thing to blow the pick, it is bad management to hit a good one and then not be able to sustain it. Shame on the Bills

They replaced Gilmore, who either doesn't know how to tackle or doesn't want to, with some one that hopefully can.

Consider who signed this bad corner who cannot tackle....

With all due respect to you I was not that big a fan of Gilmore as you are but I was not happy to him go. The NFL is business first league and money talks and bull :censored: walks. I really didn't think that Gilmore wanted to be in Buffalo to begin with so he left for greener pastures in New England. As far as Darius is concerned I don't think you have the right to say he is a waste of a person. He may well be a waste of a football player but I was raised not to judge people because we are Human beings and we all make mistakes.

Except the Patriots who thought Gilmore was worth the investment and we think Dareus (who the Pats would have thrown out long ago) was more value.

Oh yeh, we missed the playoffs again (and again) and we all know what they have done.

And don't say Tom Brady....we cannot find a Tom Brady because we keep spinning wheels replacing quality first round picks. It is one thing to blow the pick, it is bad management to hit a good one and then not be able to sustain it. Shame on the Bills

We need to draft more QBs in round 6 to find another Brady

Consider who signed this bad corner who cannot tackle....

Seriously, suspensions have nothing to do with coaching unless you think Rex sold him the drugs.

This is the same guy who told everyone he was going to rehab and then didn't go.

weed or not the Bills pay him millions not to smoke weed.

Ok...waste of a person?????

They replaced Gilmore, who either doesn't know how to tackle or doesn't want to, with some one that hopefully can.

Here Here

With all due respect to you I was not that big a fan of Gilmore as you are but I was not happy to him go. The NFL is business first league and money talks and bull :censored: walks. I really didn't think that Gilmore wanted to be in Buffalo to begin with so he left for greener pastures in New England. As far as Darius is concerned I don't think you have the right to say he is a waste of a person. He may well be a waste of a football player but I was raised not to judge people because we are Human beings and we all make mistakes.

got it that you are not a fan of Gilmore., but Belicheat is and he has a marginally better judgement than most.

The fact he does not want to be in Buffalo is exactly the point of bad management , constantly spinning wheels to replace good players not allowing us to get to filling other holes and thus the events since 1999. You have to have a management that creates scenario where good players want to stay and bad types like Dareus are rejected.

Clay's contract is much worse than Dareus's. At Dareus's peak performance, he might be the best DT in all of football. At Clay's best, he's a borderline Pro Bowler. We badly overpaid him to "steal" him from a division rival, meanwhile Miami has made the playoffs and just got Julius Thomas (a better player than Clay) for a guy they had no long term plans for in Albert.

The real reason they walked from Gilmore is because they believe they have a #1 in Darby. THis same situation played out before with Winfield and Clements, they both walked. But the Bills will pay now. Im not worried about Darby walking, unless White turns out to be a #1.

This just in: Gilmore had a really good season last year overall. It's not even really debatable.

I am not so sure Gilmore had a real good year last year. He got flat out lit up by the Fitz & the jets in the first matchup, he got embarrassed by Hogan last year in the home game against the Pats. He wasn't really a difference maker out there & for a defense that pretty much flat out sucked last year, Gilmore had to take a least a bit of responsibility for that, no?

Edited by Gordio

I am not so sure Gilmore had a real good year last year. He got flat out lit up by the Fitz & the jets in the first matchup, he got embarrassed by Hogan last year in the home game against the Pats. He wasn't really a difference maker out there & for a defense that pretty much flat out sucked last year, Gilmore had to take a least a bit of responsibility for that, no?

The Jets game was weird - he was in position on a lot of those plays and simply lost jump balls to tall receivers. It happens.

Re that Hogan play, c'mon. That was all Meeks. He blew the coverage.

Anyway, all CBs get beat from time to time. QBs had a 70.6 rating against him last season, and he came up big against Pitt and AZ, both teams that have good QBs.

Edited by dave mcbride

Think about that cornerback you like. There's a chance that Gilmore's coverage stats didn't come out too badly in comparison.

class, real class. didn't waste my time reading on from there...

The Jets game was weird - he was in position on a lot of those plays and simply lost jump balls to tall receivers. It happens.

Re that Hogan play, c'mon. That was all Meeks. He blew the coverage.

Anyway, all CBs get beat from time to time. QBs had a 70.6 rating against him last season, and he came up big against Pitt and AZ, both teams that have good QBs.

That's what I like about drafting White. We needed a tall CB to match up against the big receivers who are dominating the NFL know. HOLD THE PRESSES! I just noticed White is one inch shorter than Gilmore. Oops.

The real reason they walked from Gilmore is because they believe they have a #1 in Darby. THis same situation played out before with Winfield and Clements, they both walked. But the Bills will pay now. Im not worried about Darby walking, unless White turns out to be a #1.

but why walk from Gilmore when you have a great pair of corners, and then waste a 1st rounder to fill the position. White may be great, BUT we need multiple other positions and now we have to HOPE White is capable.

I just realized the OP is complaining about letting Gilmore walk but at the same time wanted to let a 1st team all-pro former #3 overall pick walk.

This place makes no sense.

an over all 3rd pick who is a druggie that does not respect the team and is not available for a huge part of the season. If history teaches us anything he may do it again.

but why walk from Gilmore when you have a great pair of corners, and then waste a 1st rounder to fill the position. White may be great, BUT we need multiple other positions and now we have to HOPE White is capable.

an over all 3rd pick who is a druggie that does not respect the team and is not available for a huge part of the season. If history teaches us anything he may do it again.

That is why they traded the #10 pick for.......more picks.

This just in: Gilmore had a really good season last year overall. It's not even really debatable.

amen and now we have to pray that White can be ready for opening day and can be good enough...and we still have Dareus potentially, until he has to pee in a cup.

And Hughes AND Preston Brown by the way....

Here's what NFL.COM has on White.....

Draft Projection

Rounds 1-2

Sources Tell Us "He's kind of soft, but he can cover. He's not really what our team looks for because we play so much sub packages and he would have to be a better tackler to be on the field that much. He's a fit for what some teams do though. Like I said, he can cover." -- Regional scout with NFC team

NFL Comparison Tracy Porter

Bottom Line

Full-time starter for better part of four years and one of the premier mirror-and-match cornerbacks in the game. Has the feet, athleticism and instincts for prolonged coverage responsibilities and his twitch will always have him near the throw. Best suited for all forms of man coverage. Should compete as special teams performer. Lacks run-support physicality to be an every-down corner, but he's talented enough to challenge for slot duties right away.

Sounds like a young Gilmore to be honest.....at a fraction of the price.....

Edited by Iron Maiden

If they had cap to keep Gilmore they would have. They can't pay 2 #1 CBs, so they made a decision to walk from Gilmore. It will come down to how Darby turns out. He may be the best tackling CB in the NFL already. Should fit well in this defense. Had a down year cover wise, everyone did.

Dareus was coming off a 1st team all pro year. There was no way they don't extend him. I still believe Dareus will be fine. Rex didn't get the most out of the defense.

If they had cap to keep Gilmore they would have. They can't pay 2 #1 CBs, so they made a decision to walk from Gilmore. It will come down to how Darby turns out. He may be the best tackling CB in the NFL already. Should fit well in this defense. Had a down year cover wise, everyone did.

Dareus was coming off a 1st team all pro year. There was no way they don't extend him. I still believe Dareus will be fine. Rex didn't get the most out of the defense.

Dareus was really misused. I expect a huge season from him provided he stays healthy.