Sal: Bills were going to draft Lattimore at 10

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not; you let Gilmore walk over $2 million and spend the 10th pick to replace him is the definition of being stupid. If you value CB that much keep your guy and draft a player for another position, not replace him. It's called spinning the wheels

No , it's called free agency. You don't pay an elite second contract to a guy that isn't a difference maker. You pick up his expensive 5th year option so you get a total of 5 seasons for reasonable money. Then you draft his replacement and get 5 years from him . If he's elite then maybe you pay him. You can't pay elite dollars at all positions. So you have a value chart and stick to it. Now I would hate to spend pick ten on a corner in this DB rich draft. Pick 27 is more palatable. But the real win was move down, get Reuben Foster and then a good DB to replace a good DB that left in Gilmore. They blew that opportunity.

It was a bad night for the Bills. They got too cute instead of just taking game changing talent like Lattimore they got the 7th best CB to start in 2017 and the Chiefs pick in the 20s in 2018. This is how you go 7-9 forever.

Not; you let Gilmore walk over $2 million and spend the 10th pick to replace him is the definition of being stupid. If you value CB that much keep your guy and draft a player for another position, not replace him. It's called spinning the wheels

They did just that.

They used the #10 overall pick to draft the 7th ranked DB in the 2017 draft to replace Gilmore.

7-9 forever.

Jerry Sullivan‏ @ByJerrySullivan

Andy Reid is 12th all-time in NFL coaching wins. But we're supposed to believe he just got fleeced by the Buffalo Bills.

Jerry's right more than he's wrong, but he's off-target here.

It isn't a matter of being fleeced. The two teams had different needs. Maybe both did well here.

But this was a very smart move by the Bills. I'm not generally extremely excited by much they've done for quite a while. This is a terrific move for the Bills.

It was a bad night for the Bills. They got too cute instead of just taking game changing talent like Lattimore they got the 7th best CB to start in 2017 and the Chiefs pick in the 20s in 2018. This is how you go 7-9 forever.

They did just that.

They used the #10 overall pick to draft the 7th ranked DB in the 2017 draft to replace Gilmore.

7-9 forever.

If that was all they'd done, move from Gilmore to the #7, it'd be bad news. But they got two extra picks including a first rounder. This was very good.

Yeah, it'd have been better to keep Gilmore. But you can't do that when you're in such poor cap shape, and we were. What I love about what they've done this year is that they took the hits, they lost some guys they'd probably rather have kept, but didn't do tons of re-negotiations to move their cap problems on into the future. I hated how they handled the cap the last few years. But this year they took the hits the past moves have forced on them and improved their cap future.

I'm more optimistic than I've been in quite a while. The front office has been smart. We haven't been able to say that in quite a while.

I would've been very frustrated if letting Gilmore walk because we don't value it as a premium position to turn around and use 10 on one

That's not what McDermott ever said, that we didn't value CB as a premium position. It's the spin we've heard from posters.

They likely would've kept Gilmore if they'd been in good cap shape. They weren't.

They did just that.

7-9 forever.

Except a few people had him as the most pro ready corner, is he going to be all pro? Who knows, but if he can play the position well and the trade helps us land a franchise QB next year we're laughing.

First off, if you use the traditional point system, and use the Chiefs current 2nd round as point value for next years 1st, KC won the trade by 171 points, and if they draft 27th or higher next year, if its 20th, its an even trade

And Sully is right, Andy Reid and the Chiefs absolutely know what they are doing, he has more more drafting exp than DW and SM combined

Next, I disagree that White was the 7-9th best CB, he was in the top 5, and was expected to go late 1st round, top of 2nd, not a reach at all, a value pick

That being said, I'm also pretty sure Lattimore would have been the pick had they not made the trade, so you have to ask yourself, would you have preferred our Bills have stood pat, drafted Lattimore, the best CB in the draft, or get the 4th or 5th best CB, plus a free 3rd rounder, and a free 2018 1st rounder?

I'm taking the latter considering that we lost a number of solid starters this off season, so I like the trade, I like the pick, though I personally preferred one of the tackles or Foster, but I can see why folks don't think its a sexy pick, and or are not excited, on the other hand they guy is considered a superb nickel slot corner, and one hell of a punt returner

jc

Edited by wilcoam

11:17 p.m. ET, April 27

Buffalo Bills

Round 1, pick No. 27: TreDavious White, CB, LSU

Bills steal PFFs No. 2 CB late in Round 1 after trade down

The Bills took a calculated risk earlier in the evening by moving down 17 spots with the Chiefs, and by our standards, that gamble paid off handsomely. White earned the highest overall and coverage grades in the draft class, as he gave up a completion percentage of just 42.6 into his primary coverage and defended a total of 14 passes. With the Bills losing Stephon Gilmore to the Patriots in free agency, cornerback was a huge need, and they locked up our second-highest rated prospect at the position. Josh Liskiewitz, @PFF_Josh

Jerry Sullivan @ByJerrySullivan

Andy Reid is 12th all-time in NFL coaching wins. But we're supposed to believe he just got fleeced by the Buffalo Bills.

This is why I refuse to use facebook or twitter.

I'd end up responding to idiocy, and I'd have to do it in 140 characters

No. When I take somebody down, I make sure they can't get up. I write long posts for 1 reason alone: to cut off all escape routes, so that they have to just stand there when the bombs fall. I know damn well Sullivan criticized the Sammy trade...which is why I posted in the shout and in the thread that "if you hated the Sammy Trade, you don't get to b!tch about this trade"

As per normal Sullivan pretends we forgot what he wrote about "Giving up 2 #1s for Sammy". Beyond being inaccurate, as, we were going to spend 1 #1 anyway, the clown suggested that it was going to cost us for years.

OK. By that logic, we are going to benefit, for years, by trading down for a #1.

This isn't just "Fake News" this is "Hypocrisy News".

The truth is Andy Reid is a good coach, but his team is in a position where they can afford to make a high risk move on a potential future they still have their current starter who is one of the most winningest QBs in the NFL behind brady and rodgers.

Its not like mahomes has to come in on day 1 and pressure to perform. He can actually develop him in KC and maybe it works out.

Bills have already tried reaching recently (EJ) and it didnt pan out. They cant really afford to reach again when they've already made a commitment on Taylor and have many needs to field a solid team.

McDermott made the (smart) right move. There is such a thing as "Mutually Beneficial".

Also Andy Reid, like the rest of us, never won the one that counts.

Jerry's right more than he's wrong, but he's off-target here.

It isn't a matter of being fleeced. The two teams had different needs. Maybe both did well here.

But this was a very smart move by the Bills. I'm not generally extremely excited by much they've done for quite a while. This is a terrific move for the Bills.

I see your point, but I disagree. he is 10000% on target here. We both had needs at QB. If you don't believe that, why did we wait until the very end with Tyrod to commit? Why did we ask for a paycut? Why did he agree? He isn't good enough. He is very close to Alex Smith, won't lose a game for you, but can't win it for you. Andy Reid has been around Favre & McNabb, he fixed Alex Smith - he knows QBs. If you knew this and still passed on Mahomes you (not you personally, the team) are a moron.

The Chiefs were in the playoffs because they built a very strong team with an average QB, much like TT. They couldn't and won't advance in the playoffs with Smith; they have a chance to break through in a couple years now. They may not because Mahomes could bust, but they took the chance to move forward based on what they felt his potential is and he may not bust. It was/is a smart move by them...14 of the last 16 QBs to play for the AFC in the superbowl are Brady, Ben and Manning. If that doesn't tell you how important this position is, I don't know what will.

By nature the Bills rarely draft Qbs in the first round. This is where Pegs and Co piss me off; we only look at this is year 3 and those were different people at a different time. That all may be true but the organizational patterns and thought process is identical. After 17 years it is known that they have a bad process that does not yield the desired the results; it doesn't work. Fine the QB busts, go back and learn about what you were wrong with. Look at your drafts notes and see if you missed something, learn from it. Just don't stick your head in the sand (or up your A$s) and not take a first round QB again.

Some people will say well he isn't going to play this year and that is not the point. It is for longer term building and not for this upcoming year. The Bills draft for the upcoming year and really do not have a long term plan at all. We lose players and replace them in the draft and scour the FA wire for value role players. We don't have studs in positions that get you wins. This DB is not going to help us win any more games than Gilmore did.

Well we get their 27th pick and a 3rd this year and their 1 next year. Their 1 next year is likely to be in the same range. The value/caliber of the player you will get is much different. Next year's QB class always looks much better, yes Darnold/Rosen look really strong right now. I don't see Cleveland willing to move away and miss on a QB again. The Jets may every well have a worse record than us as well. You can't make those assumptions that you have the ammo to move up; you can have all the ammo in the world, but if that team needs a QB to you are screwed. BADOL has posted a few times a great rule of thumb for positions to draft by round and draft position and it is correct.

You could have taken a shot on Mahomes and still had your picks next year. Now if TT stinks, you will be trading assets (if possible) to try to grab someone. It's not about Mahomes specifically, it is about ignoring the most important position on this team that will directly get you more wins and trying to improve it; not filling a hole.

Edited by Reed83HOF

They did make a commitment to Taylor, perhaps you didnt think they did but this pick should solidify in your mind that for the short term, its taylor.

Perhaps next year with their newly acquired number 1 pick they will reach for someone they think is truly worth it.

They did make a commitment to Taylor, perhaps you didnt think they did but this pick should solidify in your mind that for the short term, its taylor.

Perhaps next year with their newly acquired number 1 pick they will reach for someone they think is truly worth it.

Anyone who would pass on a franchise QB because of TT is not fit to wash the windows for an NFL team.

No , it's called free agency. You don't pay an elite second contract to a guy that isn't a difference maker. You pick up his expensive 5th year option so you get a total of 5 seasons for reasonable money. Then you draft his replacement and get 5 years from him . If he's elite then maybe you pay him. You can't pay elite dollars at all positions. So you have a value chart and stick to it. Now I would hate to spend pick ten on a corner in this DB rich draft. Pick 27 is more palatable. But the real win was move down, get Reuben Foster and then a good DB to replace a good DB that left in Gilmore. They blew that opportunity.

Neither of those positions will lead to more wins and that is what is missed. If you are in the top 10 you have a chance to get players that will lead to more wins. DBs are not good value that high and unless it is a pass rushing linebacker; it is a bad spot for LBs.

It is not about Mahomes; it is about honestly passing on one of the 2 positions (dominant pass rusher & QB) that is directly related to success and winning more than any other position in the modern NFL. QBs are drafted for potential and you pay a premium for them if you have to trade to get one. it is the hardest position to scout and honestly is more important than a pass rusher.

What you are explaining ab a Cb for instance is true, but only if your team can afford it. Ours cannot; that is how you spin your wheels. No body spins the wheels like the Buffalo Bills. This is exactly how you miss the playoffs and having any shot for 17+ years in a league designed for parity.

And that is the problem it is the short term!

Who do you think we will get next year? The best 2 QBs will most likely go 1 & 2; As of now the Browns and Jets will be drafting in those positions. We will then have to give up our high first, KCs late first, and another one of our picks to take a QB.

and NFL network grades on the top 2 QBS taken this year are:

The skinny: Patrick Mahomes has all of the tools to be a great quarterback. Chiefs GM John Dorsey and head coach Andy Reid saw Brett Favre in Green Bay, and they have to see some of that gunslinger attitude in Mahomes. There is a risk factor here given his penchant for throwing the ball anywhere and from any arm angle (which will turn into interceptions in the NFL), and they have up a future first-round pick to get him. But if anyone can get Mahomes to adjust and succeed, it's Reid.

The skinny: The Bears weren't satisfied with Mike Glennon as their quarterback of the future, so they picked up Mitchell Trubisky. They have up a second-rounder, third-rounder, and a 2018 third-round pick to get him. That's not terrible in terms of what other teams have given up to get their quarterback of the future; other teams have given up first-round picks to pick their guy. They had to move up one spot to get him, though, because other teams were looking at that pick -- or at least that's what San Francisco told them.

The skinny: Deshaun Watson was an excellent college quarterback, and the Texans are hoping he becomes a great NFL quarterback. I'm with Bill O'Brien on this one, even though Houston parted with a 2018 first-round pick in trade up to get him. With Houston's defense playing well, they needed a leader and playmaker to get the offense rolling.

Its refreshing to know what we are walking into next years draft with two number ones instead of zero number ones, which has happened on many occasions. A few drafts of trading down and accumulating high draft picks while still picking solid players will turn out negative reputation around.

But for now it's way to early to know whether the difference between Lattimore and White is worth what the Bills got.

But so far from I'm reading about White it's a good start. But it's only one round of one draft.

We haven't done anything yet.

Remind me what Andy Reid has won again? Oh yeah, nothing. Unless you count the junior league version of the Bills where they went to 4 straight NFC Champ Games, and lost 3 of them and the one SB he made.

Furthermore...your comment is absurd. NOBODY knows who fleeced who right now...why...because NONE of these players has played a single down in the NFL yet. We got a great value in compensation, but nobody will know who benefits the most until the players play on the field...not to mention, we wont know the extent of what we got in exchange until we see what we get not only get out of White, but also out of the extra picks.

But keep whining like you are in every single thread about how we didn't draft a QB who wasn't even listed on most boards in the top 40 of the prospects in this draft due to his funky mechanics and poor foot work. Who knows, Mahomes may go on to great things...White may be a HOF DB...both could bust...whoever we get with those extras picks could lead us to a SB or get us nothing...but sit here and whine like you know the future is pretty silly at this point.

Anyone who would pass on a franchise QB because of TT is not fit to wash the windows for an NFL team.

LMAO...so a guy who wasn't even regarded as the best player at his position, normally not any higher than 3rd at his position, has a ton of question marks, most often ranked outside the top 40 in this draft is now somehow a lock to be a franchise QB? If that was the case he would have went #1 overall to Cleveland. Or to the Jets. Or to the Jags. Or to SF. You know, all those guys ahead of us who desperately needed a QB and didn't draft him either.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Remind me what Andy Reid has won again? Oh yeah, nothing. Unless you count the junior league version of the Bills where they went to 4 straight NFC Champ Games, and lost 3 of them and the one SB he made.

Furthermore...your comment is absurd. NOBODY knows who fleeced who right now...why...because NONE of these players has played a single down in the NFL yet. We got a great value in compensation, but nobody will know who benefits the most until the players play on the field...not to mention, we wont know the extent of what we got in exchange until we see what we get not only get out of White, but also out of the extra picks.

But keep whining like you are in every single thread about how we didn't draft a QB who wasn't even listed on most boards in the top 40 of the prospects in this draft due to his funky mechanics and poor foot work. Who knows, Mahomes may go on to great things...White may be a HOF DB...both could bust...whoever we get with those extras picks could lead us to a SB or get us nothing...but sit here and whine like you know the future is pretty silly at this point.

LMAO...so a guy who wasn't even regarded as the best player at his position, normally not any higher than 3rd at his position, has a ton of question marks, most often ranked outside the top 40 in this draft is now somehow a lock to be a franchise QB? If that was the case he would have went #1 overall to Cleveland. Or to the Jets. Or to the Jags. Or to SF. You know, all those guys ahead of us who desperately needed a QB and didn't draft him either.

This guy gets it.

Well Lattimore would have been the BPA at a position of need so it would have been a win- win, I'm actually starting to like the Tre'Davious White pick, not that I can do anything about it but the more you read about him and watch vids he looks like a solid all around corner who brings positive character and doubles down as a kick returner so the versatility is an added bonus.

I agree with you on Mahomes, I wasn't a fan of his but time will tell. I totally disagree with you on Andy Reid and your whole point about him is one big contradiction. You state "what has Andy Reid ever won" and then go on to say he has made it to 4 straight NFC championship games, oh and a SB but they lost so it doesn't count? You also failed to mention that he pretty much took a broken Alex Smith and turned him into a game managing playoff caliber starter. I get that you may not like Mahomes or Reid but to down play him like he's some sort of garbage coach is laughable.

Well Lattimore would have been the BPA at a position of need so it would have been a win- win, I'm actually starting to like the Tre'Davious White pick, not that I can do anything about it but the more you read about him and watch vids he looks like a solid all around corner who brings positive character and doubles down as a kick returner so the versatility is an added bonus.

I agree with you on Mahomes, I wasn't a fan of his but time will tell. I totally disagree with you on Andy Reid and your whole point about him is one big contradiction. You state "what has Andy Reid ever won" and then go on to say he has made it to 4 straight NFC championship games, oh and a SB but they lost so it doesn't count? You also failed to mention that he pretty much took a broken Alex Smith and turned him into a game managing playoff caliber starter. I get that you may not like Mahomes or Reid but to down play him like he's some sort of garbage coach is laughable.

Only winning in the NFL that matters is the SB was the point. And look, I am not trying to hate on Andy Reid, I don't dislike him by any means...the point is that people are anointing him some kind of genius and QB guru because he took Mahomes.

In regards to Alex Smith, not trying to be argumentative, but you are wrong, it was Harbaugh in SF that turned his career around and made him into what he is now, and he hasn't been much more than that with Reid. One season with Reid he didn't throw a single TD to a WR over a 594 day span, I mean who would think that is even possible. And in Philly, Reid's GM drafted McNabb who was one of the top QB prospects coming out and the best one available when the desperate for a QB Eagles were on the board...that doesn't make him a QB guru because one draft pick his GM made worked out.

Anything other than sticking with Taylor, whether it's $, talent, or potential?

Is a reach.

Mike Glennon: $45 M/3 years...and the Bears go draft his replacement by trading up?

WTF is that? The entire Tyrod issue revolves around the word "should". Unfortunately for those people making that argument? Should means nothing. Should is a cop out for those who have identified(or deluded themselves into identifying) a problem.

Yet, they have no rational solution. So, they go around saying things like "the Bills should get rid of Tyrod" and "The world should strive for peace via the UN". :rolleyes: This isn't an argument for Tyrod. No. This is an argument against the non-solutions to Tyrod: see Glennon/Bears fiasco.

People can B word about Tyrod, but, whenever they get done with that? Unless they have a superior solution, they are simply talking for talking's sake.

And no, throwing away draft value on a QB, because the "Bills should draft a QB, because...I said so. I have a crystal ball, that I used to predict the RG3 trade as awesome(which caused us, not the Rams or the Redskins, to get a pro-bowl player in McCoy), and, that Andrew Luck would win 10 SBS in a row!".

:rolleyes:

I remember the "Who cares, draft a young QB because the game has changed" idiot arguments from 3-5 years ago. FAIL!.

Colin Kaepernick says hello.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Only winning in the NFL that matters is the SB was the point. And look, I am not trying to hate on Andy Reid, I don't dislike him by any means...the point is that people are anointing him some kind of genius and QB guru because he took Mahomes.

In regards to Alex Smith, not trying to be argumentative, but you are wrong, it was Harbaugh in SF that turned his career around and made him into what he is now, and he hasn't been much more than that with Reid. One season with Reid he didn't throw a single TD to a WR over a 594 day span, I mean who would think that is even possible. And in Philly, Reid's GM drafted McNabb who was one of the top QB prospects coming out and the best one available when the desperate for a QB Eagles were on the board...that doesn't make him a QB guru because one draft pick his GM made worked out.

He was successfull with Donovan Mcnabb, made Michael Vick look like a stud right after getting out of prison, Ok Harbaugh started molding SMith and Reid continued him in his own scheme fit for Smith... How can you not call him a QB guru?

It's not being argumentative, I see it as healthy football discussion :D and I gave Harbaugh the initial credit because I forgot about him as the HC already.

They did just that.

7-9 forever.

I disagree and feel it was a great night, grabbed valuable assets for the future and got a fantastic FIT for McD's scheme! Look at his scouting report, watch the film.

He's a 4 year starter, playing against some of the toughest competition in the country. Being a LEADER ,a main leader on a big time school like LSU is no small feat.

He may be ranked here or there but he's a helluva fit in this scheme. Just cause he wasn't projected that way, doesn't mean he can't perform at an elite level.

Darby White Seymour could turn out to be one really talented trio of Cbs

He was successfull with Donovan Mcnabb, made Michael Vick look like a stud right after getting out of prison, Ok Harbaugh started molding SMith and Reid continued him in his own scheme fit for Smith... How can you not call him a QB guru?

It's not being argumentative, I see it as healthy football discussion :D and I gave Harbaugh the initial credit because I forgot about him as the HC already.

No worries, and yes good discussion. As far as Reid goes...McNabb was a top QB prospect and they were in position to grab him. Him working out doesn't by default make Reid a guru. So then you look at what he has done...Vick was Vick long before Reid, and all he did was come in and be Vick. Its not like Reid changed his game and he got better, you don't lose your talent sitting out of football in your prime for a little bit, so not sure why Reid is being given credit for Vick. Smith has also done nothing more than he had already done, in fact, his worst season since having his career saved by Harbaugh was under Reid where he failed to throw a single TD to a WR in more than a season which spanned 594 days which before that happened most people would think it was impossible to achieve.

So, having one QB workout that was a slam dunk obvious pick doesn't make a coach a "guru" in my book. You need more than 1 QB to succeed before you can be a "guru". And Vick fizzled quick, Smith has been nothing more than he was before Reid, and actually had a his worst recent season under Reid as discussed above.

Again, I don't hate Reid by any means, I was just addressing all the crazy comments in multiple threads now basically saying KC fleeced us because Reid is now allegedly some kind of QB whisperer or guru and that somehow makes Mahomes a lock to be a franchise guy now. None of which is actually true...Mahomes could be great, but he is far from a lock otherwise 4 teams picking before KC desperate for a QB would have taken him. And Reid really has no claim to being some kind of QB guru IMO just because a top 10 QB draft pick 20 years ago worked out ok.

And nobody spins their wheels better than our Buffalo Bills. Although, for the RB position, they had it going for awhile where they drafted RBs when they already had a good one, then got rid of the incumbent. I guess that was spinning the wheel in reverse.

But we're supposed to believe Jerry Sullivan is a journalist?

The Bills have 4 picks in the top 91 in a very deep defensive draft.

Nobody got fleeced. But the Bills need those pick badly.

I'm glad they didn't overpay for Gilmore, I think many Bills fans are.

They did just that.

7-9 forever.

Boy - I just disagree with this all the way around. I think they got a guy in White that was considered very pro style ready, played 4 years, and was a true leader. He was considered by some as high as the 2nd best CB and the most versatile and a great fit for this Defense.

The Bills also picked a up a 3rd and a first next year. More ammo to get what they need this year and perhaps ensure they get a top QB next year.

Love It!

They did just that.

7-9 forever.

Who cares what you or anyone else "ranked" him...I'm sure by rankings tons of teams made "reach" picks. We will find out when he steps on the field. So much is dependant on how they fit in a scheme and how they are going to be used. McD values versatility and White has it in spades with the ability to play inside or outside and be a really good punt returner as well.

Boy - I just disagree with this all the way around. I think they got a guy in White that was considered very pro style ready, played 4 years, and was a true leader. He was considered by some as high as the 2nd best CB and the most versatile and a great fit for this Defense.

The Bills also picked a up a 3rd and a first next year. More ammo to get what they need this year and perhaps ensure they get a top QB next year.

Love It!

A 3rd that will get them a quality of player in this deep draft that you would get in the 2nd round most years. Edited by matter2003

I see your point, but I disagree. he is 10000% on target here. We both had needs at QB. If you don't believe that, why did we wait until the very end with Tyrod to commit? Why did we ask for a paycut? Why did he agree? He isn't good enough. He is very close to Alex Smith, won't lose a game for you, but can't win it for you. Andy Reid has been around Favre & McNabb, he fixed Alex Smith - he knows QBs. If you knew this and still passed on Mahomes you (not you personally, the team) are a moron.

The Chiefs were in the playoffs because they built a very strong team with an average QB, much like TT. They couldn't and won't advance in the playoffs with Smith; they have a chance to break through in a couple years now. They may not because Mahomes could bust, but they took the chance to move forward based on what they felt his potential is and he may not bust. It was/is a smart move by them...14 of the last 16 QBs to play for the AFC in the superbowl are Brady, Ben and Manning. If that doesn't tell you how important this position is, I don't know what will.

By nature the Bills rarely draft Qbs in the first round. This is where Pegs and Co piss me off; we only look at this is year 3 and those were different people at a different time. That all may be true but the organizational patterns and thought process is identical. After 17 years it is known that they have a bad process that does not yield the desired the results; it doesn't work. Fine the QB busts, go back and learn about what you were wrong with. Look at your drafts notes and see if you missed something, learn from it. Just don't stick your head in the sand (or up your A$s) and not take a first round QB again.

Some people will say well he isn't going to play this year and that is not the point. It is for longer term building and not for this upcoming year. The Bills draft for the upcoming year and really do not have a long term plan at all. We lose players and replace them in the draft and scour the FA wire for value role players. We don't have studs in positions that get you wins. This DB is not going to help us win any more games than Gilmore did.

Well we get their 27th pick and a 3rd this year and their 1 next year. Their 1 next year is likely to be in the same range. The value/caliber of the player you will get is much different. Next year's QB class always looks much better, yes Darnold/Rosen look really strong right now. I don't see Cleveland willing to move away and miss on a QB again. The Jets may every well have a worse record than us as well. You can't make those assumptions that you have the ammo to move up; you can have all the ammo in the world, but if that team needs a QB to you are screwed. BADOL has posted a few times a great rule of thumb for positions to draft by round and draft position and it is correct.

You could have taken a shot on Mahomes and still had your picks next year. Now if TT stinks, you will be trading assets (if possible) to try to grab someone. It's not about Mahomes specifically, it is about ignoring the most important position on this team that will directly get you more wins and trying to improve it; not filling a hole.

So let's follow kc's lead, build a team that gets to the playoffs with a decent veteran qb then blow picks on possible franchise qb's. We can start with keeping the same coaching staff for more than two years. IF Rex was still here I think the chances of taking a qb high in this draft would have been greater. Instead we have self inflicted holes again, just like we will next year when darby or Ragland or whoever doesn't get it done under these coaches.

The point of building a team before developing a franchise qb is taking the pressure off the kid so he can, you know, develop. TT and Cardale are going to take a step back this year with the new system. And Cardale might not be the right guy now for Dennison and McDermott so we may need to get another guy using up more resources.

In the end I would rather "tank" with a crappy coach for an additional year to add talent than constantly changing schemes and having to cut players because they don't fit. For me, that is why we always pick db's and rb's and don't have any depth.

So let's follow kc's lead, build a team that gets to the playoffs with a decent veteran qb then blow picks on possible franchise qb's. We can start with keeping the same coaching staff for more than two years. IF Rex was still here I think the chances of taking a qb high in this draft would have been greater. Instead we have self inflicted holes again, just like we will next year when darby or Ragland or whoever doesn't get it done under these coaches.

The point of building a team before developing a franchise qb is taking the pressure off the kid so he can, you know, develop. TT and Cardale are going to take a step back this year with the new system. And Cardale might not be the right guy now for Dennison and McDermott so we may need to get another guy using up more resources.

In the end I would rather "tank" with a crappy coach for an additional year to add talent than constantly changing schemes and having to cut players because they don't fit. For me, that is why we always pick db's and rb's and don't have any depth.

I'm not so sure that TT takes a step backward in Dennison's system.