Bills trade #10 for #27, a 3rd, and 2018 1st

It's pretty standard.

It is math. It is not some type of opinion you can debate.

Run the actual numbers in the 2016 draft.

Run the actual numbers in the 9ers trade.

Oh - wow actual GMs in 2017 use the chart. shocker!

Its not math when subjective values are placed on these things. Jeez. Read a book for me one time!

I have an idea. I love you're 2014 Toyota Corolla that's worth 150 bucks. So I'll give you 150 for it. Sound good? When can I pick up.

Edited by dubs

It's pretty standard.

I could be wrong but doesn't the Bears/49ers trade blow the trade value chart away?

I could be wrong but doesn't the Bears/49ers trade blow the trade value chart away?

You are wrong. The delta is 400 on the chart and the Bears gave up about exactly 400

But it's math! Whaley sucks. Ralph is cheap!!!!

You're a clown.

Bears 2600

49ers 2200+255+104+41= 2600

It's right using the rough rule of thumb method of devaluing future picks by 1 round.

Something I'll never understand: all you guys who know more than the Bills and could have done better...why are you all sitting here on a Thursday night posting on a random message board for a bad football team?

Why aren't you in the War Room in Philly? We need you geniuses, dammit!

Bears 2600

49ers 2200+255+104+41= 2600

It's right using the rough rule of thumb method of devaluing future picks by 1 round.

So going by this idea, a 3rd round pick in 2018 is worth less than a 5th round pick right now? I mean it adds up, but that seems like silly logic. You get the guy for 5 years either way. I understand the "make an impact now" idea, but the Bears, Browns, 49ers, and maybe even the Bills aren't contending anytime soon for this to be considered.

So going by this idea, a 3rd round pick in 2018 is worth less than a 5th round pick right now? I mean it adds up, but that seems like silly logic. You get the guy for 5 years either way. I understand the "make an impact now" idea, but the Bears, Browns, 49ers, and maybe even the Bills aren't contending anytime soon for this to be considered.

Don't do any independent thinking. It's all about math and the chart.

It's pretty standard.

Run the numbers on how many future #1 overall picks you would have to trade to get this year's #1 overall pick using the "1-round deduction" for future drafts. Never gonna happen. These are guidelines, not straight math.

Also, everyone already knows the Bears got fleeced hard, so the fact that the numbers line up almost exactly should tell you how inaccurate they are.

Edited by MPT

With the rough rule of thumb, the 3rd in 2018 would be worth a 4th this year. From what I understand, most teams use their own internal chart that vary slightly from the one posted here.

Also, it's very important to understand that each draft is different and results can vary wildly depending on who is available. For example, there is no way you were trading into the #2 spot for the Luck/RG3 draft like Chicago did today. It took a king's ransom to get that pick because of the players involved.

The naysayers can point out the aberrations, but for the most part the draft chart is still very much alive.

I guess, but you still get 5 years out of both players.

But the person who makes that trade is more likely to be gone because of unmet expectations. Delayed gratification amounts to career suicide in a short term business like the nfl. If mcdermott has two losing seasons, he will be gone. Bank on it.

Because you won't get the benefit of having that player play this season, he's not worth the same amount today as the player who will play this year

I don't dispute the concept but I have issues with the discount rate being applied, especially when it's a first round pick.

p.s. when's your next SF trip?

Edited by KD in CA

Something I'll never understand: all you guys who know more than the Bills and could have done better...why are you all sitting here on a Thursday night posting on a random message board for a bad football team?

Why aren't you in the War Room in Philly? We need you geniuses, dammit!

:)

Run the numbers on how many future #1 overall picks you would have to trade to get this year's #1 overall pick using the "1-round deduction" for future drafts. Never gonna happen. These are guidelines, not straight math.

Also, everyone already knows the Bears got fleeced hard, so the fact that the numbers line up almost exactly should tell you how inaccurate they are.

"Everyone knows" Really?

This is your statement: Actual NFL GMs used the chart to conduct an actual NFL trade.

However "Everyone" (non NFL GMs) know the Bears got fleeced, therefore the chart that is used to conduct the trade is inaccurate.

That is a spectacular post you got there budy. Really amazing logic.

Edited by 1B4IDie

Here's another way to look at the Chiefs trade. They spent 4 picks, including next year's 1st, on a player who is expected to do nothing for a year, maybe two. How would you grade it if it were the Bills? Probably not well.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I don't dispute the concept but I have issues with the discount rate being applied, especially when it's a first round pick.

I like dropping one round as the discount for next yrs pick.

Heading left soon, but unfortunately won't have any time to play.

#10 is 1300 points.

#27 is 680

#91 is 136.

So that's a difference of 484. That's between the 41st and 42nd picks, a 2nd round pick and a better one than average.

We didn't take any discount whatsoever, we got a slight premium.

I absolutely love this, and I don't absolutely love much the Bills have done for a lot of years. Smart move.

Here's another way to look at the Chiefs trade. They spent 4 picks, including next year's 1st, on a player who is expected to do nothing for a year, maybe two. How would grade it if it were the Bills? Probably not well.

I would hate it if I was the Bills. But the Chiefs are in better position to bench Mahomes and develop him. Not so bad for them, though I personally think Mahomes will never be a franchise QB, which would mean the trade will eventually be deemed a bomb on KC's side.

But if anyone can mold Mahomes, it would be Andy Reid. The Bills don't have anyone I'd be as happy to see teaching a young QB.

Edited by Thurman#1

Here's another way to look at the Chiefs trade. They spent 4 picks, including next year's 1st, on a player who is expected to do nothing for a year, maybe two. How would grade it if it were the Bills? Probably not well.

Here's another way: the Chiefs, who have a far better record than the Bills over the last decade, were willing to spend four picks to ensure themselves a succession plan at the most important position. The Chiefs now have an established, experienced starter and a high-ceiling prospect to groom at the QB position. The Bills have a low-upside starter, TJ Yates, and Cardale Jones. But hey, at least we beat them in trade value points.

Here's another way: the Chiefs, who have a far better record than the Bills over the last decade, were willing to spend four picks to ensure themselves a succession plan at the most important position. The Chiefs now have an established, experienced starter and a high-ceiling prospect to groom at the QB position. The Bills have a low-upside starter, TJ Yates, and Cardale Jones. But hey, at least we beat them in trade value points.

This. Also, the bills are guaranteed to overdraft some RB with that pick

Omg 2 first round picks in 2018 with a great QB class. This is epic.

We have no idea yet what next year's QB class will look like. Guys can easily stay in school or have down years. It can easily turn into a very mediocre class of QBs. Then next year people will be saying to wait until 2019 to draft a guy.

We have no idea yet what next year's QB class will look like. Guys can easily stay in school or have down years. It can easily turn into a very mediocre class of QBs. Then next year people will be saying to wait until 2019 to draft a guy.

Rosen is interesting. He throws the ball so beautifully. But he is a California QB that doesn't like to get hit. If you draft him and give him a great line he can be insanely good. The issue is if you ever let him take hits he will give up.

Rosen is interesting. He throws the ball so beautifully. But he is a California QB that doesn't like to get hit. If you draft him and give him a great line he can be insanely good. The issue is if you ever let him take hits he will give up.

Yeah Im not big on Rosen from what Ive seen. Hope to see better from him this season.