Running backs expected to be taken between Rounds 4-7

Looks like running back is a need now. So let's take a look at the large number of talented backs that will be available in the mid-to-late rounds.

Ordered by overall class ranking according to CBSSports NFL Draft team. The grade in parantheses after the ranking indicate the NFL.com rating. The players' programs that the Bills visited on Pro Day is indicated.

116. (5.5) Marlon Mack, RB, USF, 5-11, 215, 4.50 40

123. (5.5) Kareem Hunt, RB, Toledo, 5-10, 215, 4.62 - Pro Day

125. (5.6) Samaje Perine, RB, Oklahoma, 5-11, 235, 4.65 - Pro Day

129. (5.4) Wayne Gallman, RB, Clemson, 6-0, 215, 4.60 - Pro Day

140. (5.7) D'Onta Foreman, RB, Texas, 6-0, 235, 4.46 - Pro Day

144. (5.3) Jamal Williams, RB, BYU, 6-0, 210, 4.59

148. (5.6) Jeremy McNichols, RB, Boise State, 5-9, 215, 4.49 - Pro Day

156. (5.2) Corey Clement, RB, Wisconsin, 5-10, 220, 4.68 - Pro Day

160. (5.4) Brian Hill, RB, Wyoming, 6-1, 220, 4.54

162. (5.4) James Conner, RB, Pittsburgh, 6-1, 235, 4.65

174. (5.3) Donnel Pumphrey, RB, San Diego State, 5-8, 175, 4.48

180. (5.4) Matthew Dayes, RB, NC State, 5-9, 205, 4.66

194. (5.3) De'Angelo Henderson, RB, Coastal Carolina, 5-7, 210, 4.48

196. (5.3) TJ Logan, RB, North Carolina, 5-9, 195, 4.37 - Pro Day

203. (5.0) Elijah McGuire, RB, Lafayette, 5-10, 215, 4.53

217. (5.4) Tarik Cohen, RB, NC A&T, 5-6, 180, 4.42

225. (5.0) Aaron Jones, RB, UTEP, 5-9, 210, 4.56

261. (4.9) De'Veon Smith, RB, Michigan, 5-11, 225, 4.85 - Pro Day

279. (5.4) Joe Williams, RB, Utah, 5-11, 210, 4.41

A lot of these guys fit the bill for big running back that would compliment Shady. D'Onta Foreman and James Conner intrigue me the most.

post-17182-0-54384900-1492619813.jpg

running back is not a need now. not saying they won't take a flier on one, but we don't 'need' to draft one. we have a good stable already.

I think for the Patriots, 2017 is all about redeeming 2007.

They're going undefeated.

after what Goodell did to Tommy last year, you can bet your ass that this is what they have in mind for the coming year. they want to shove it down Goodell's throat.

Edited by Foxx

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

running back is not a need now. not saying they won't take a flier on one, but we don't 'need' to draft one. we have a good stable already.

after what Goodell did to Tommy last year, you can bet your ass that this is what they have in mind for the coming year. they want to shove it down Goodell's throat.

Your boy "Tommy" did it to himself. Should change name to Fixx as games determined by cheating are called.

Your boy "Tommy" did it to himself. Should change name to Fixx as games determined by cheating are called.

lol.

he's not my boy. i hate the Patriots almost as much as i hate the Dolphins. what i said about them wanting to shove it down Goodell's throat stands, as that is what they are wanting to do, count on it.

Fixx, really? lol.

Edited by Foxx

I hope we take one in the fifth. Let's really spin those tires.

Careful. Spinning wheels isn't popular in here.

RB is very much a need since we lost a very good one.

Jamaal Williams out of BYU, Joe Williams from Utah or Stanley "Boom" Williams from Kentucky.

They are starting to run low on players named Williams, Kyle won't be around forever and I just read that Jonathan Williams is officially a bust in another thread.

It's shortsightedness like this that has led to years of failure, you can't just wait till the last minute or after the effect and end up having to sign some guy named Williams off the street.

I wouldnt be surprised if Buffalo drafted a RB, but don't forget, we had Karlos a late round pick before we picked Mike up off the street. So we could go late round, or FA route.

Williams who we drafted two years back could climb the depth chart, or buffalo could wait and see if there are cuts and possibly land a spell back that way.

Edited by BillsFan17

If Shady goes down, we would be left with Williams (who has shown nothing to convince me he will even make the team) and Tolbert. Maybe a rookie if we draft one late. We would be in the same position as last year with the WR's. Y ou need depth in the NFL. MG is great depth. We lose him, it will hurt the team.

The Bills haven't believed in depth in a very long time.

Looks like running back is a need now. So let's take a look at the large number of talented backs that will be available in the mid-to-late rounds.

Ordered by overall class ranking according to CBSSports NFL Draft team. The grade in parantheses after the ranking indicate the NFL.com rating. The players' programs that the Bills visited on Pro Day is indicated.

A lot of these guys fit the bill for big running back that would compliment Shady. D'Onta Foreman and James Conner intrigue me the most.

Oh they should try to get a RB this year one way or another. There is value there and if they don't have a stud #1 RB developed to replace McCoy by this time next year it's back to projecting a RB in round 1 for the Billsy Bills.

If they are smart they will load up on DB's, get 1-2 TE's and get a RB........gotta' take BPA's and there are guys in this draft that they might be able to get in the 4th-6th rounds that they would need to reach up into rounds 2 or 3 to get most years.

Next years need list is going to be extensive when the majority of Incognito, Wood, Kujo, Henderson, McCoy, Clay, Kyle Wiliams.....maybe even Lorax and Hughes......are gone.......but you still gotta' stick with BPA and use the draft as a roster building process rather than a ill conceived attempt to patch holes that are going to keep forming.

I'm all in on Saquan Barkley next year. He is McCoy's eventual replacement imo.

Like I said......there will be gluttons for punishment who will be projecting and hoping the Bills take a RB in Rd1 next year. :doh:

Even without Gillislee we don't need to draft a RB. We have Shady, Williams and Tolbert. How many touches are there to go around? Don't waste a pick, just sign a Udfa incase of injuries or to fill out the preseason and camp

Williams doesn't have it, imo. Tolbert is slow and over-the-hill.

This is a good Group, I really Like James Connor out of that group being the best of bunch.

Can't be a small dude .. we need the goal line banger / short yardage pile mover ... opposite of what Shady brings .. the Thunder/Lightning we've done in years past ... Foreman and McNichols is intriguing given other skills .. but if not 210 lbs or above ... no thanks

Can't be a small dude .. we need the goal line banger / short yardage pile mover ... opposite of what Shady brings .. the Thunder/Lightning we've done in years past ... Foreman and McNichols is intriguing given other skills .. but if not 210 lbs or above ... no thanks

Jwill is 6' 223 and Tolbert is even bigger. I would just draft the best RB regardless of size whenever the time comes, because it seems the biggest worry for this season is who will start if Shady is hurt,not who will pair best with him from a size/change of pace standpoint. Jmo. Edited by YoloinOhio

Tolbert is on social security .. .he played down here for the Panthers (I live in NC) .. the tread is way old .. I think McDermott pulled him for character and since he was in the program .. I'm with you on J Will . . but with his ankle issue in the past .. I prefer to have someone who can take the rock if we have a long term injury .. he didn't show a ton last year when given the chance .. so throw a 5th rounder out there ... we already see what happens when you have no WR's. Let's not make the same mistake at RB.

Tolbert is on social security .. .he played down here for the Panthers (I live in NC) .. the tread is way old .. I think McDermott pulled him for character and since he was in the program .. I'm with you on J Will . . but with his ankle issue in the past .. I prefer to have someone who can take the rock if we have a long term injury .. he didn't show a ton last year when given the chance .. so throw a 5th rounder out there ... we already see what happens when you have no WR's. Let's not make the same mistake at RB.

i definitely want to draft one with this group coming out. Bills always seem to draft one every year regardless so getting the extra 5th is perfect. I have no conclusions about Jwill yet. He got very few carries and RBs need to get into a rhythm. Maybe he's no good but I think he has a lot of potential, big camp for him coming up. Agree that Tolbert is mainly here to carry over culture and how he wants his locker room run but they are paying him nothing, I like his running style for how he's used.

The key to it all is our OL and blocking scheme. Great situation for a rookie RB.

Here's my narrowed down list if I had any say:

Joe Williams has some character issues, but the talent is undeniable. Might be a top 2 round type talent. He gets my vote.

Wow I just looked at his highlight video and I am impressed, must be some big red flags? The guy has decent size, very good speed and watch his video, good cutbacks and uses his blockers well! Edited by billrooter

Here's my narrowed down list if I had any say:

Just curious why you omit James Conner from this. A copy/paste job from my closed thread:

then draft this guy........

http://www.nfl.com/v...es-James-Conner

He is complementary to Shady. Great at short yardage/goal line and at blitz pickup which are not McCoy's strengths.

His personal story makes for a unique lockeroom presence. He oozes "accountability" out his pores, you won't need to sell him on it. Coming back to practice and play months away from an ACL tear and during chemotherapy treatments is a huge + in my view.

He's from Erie, Pa which is in the heart of the Buffalo, Cleveland, Pittsburgh triangle. This buys the Bills some extra credibility there which is a nice side benefit.

He patterns his running style after Marshawn Lynch. I see him as a 232 lb. version of Robb Riddick, who is one of my all time favorites.

Maybe I'm just in the minority of people who aren't too concerned if MG leaves. I certainly wouldn't call RB a need at that point.

Bang have you lost your marbles. We're the number one running team in the NFL and I'm sure we plan on continuing that scenario. If Shady goes down and we don't resign Gillislee, Tolbert or some unproven rookie will be anchoring our number one running offense. For god sakes just pay TD Mike and be done with it, he's worth every penny. And it will still leave us a little cap space to maneuver the draft picks. Let's not get sucked into New England's plan every year by forcing us and a corner. And frankly Gillislee is worth more than a 5th round pick considering his production the last two years

Just curious why you omit James Conner from this. A copy/paste job from my closed thread:

then draft this guy........

http://www.nfl.com/v...es-James-Conner

He is complementary to Shady. Great at short yardage/goal line and at blitz pickup which are not McCoy's strengths.

His personal story makes for a unique lockeroom presence. He oozes "accountability" out his pores, you won't need to sell him on it. Coming back to practice and play months away from an ACL tear and during chemotherapy treatments is a huge + in my view.

He's from Erie, Pa which is in the heart of the Buffalo, Cleveland, Pittsburgh triangle. This buys the Bills some extra credibility there which is a nice side benefit.

He patterns his running style after Marshawn Lynch. I see him as a 232 lb. version of Robb Riddick, who is one of my all time favorites.

Not a fan of what I see. Simple as that. I could be wrong, clearly, I just don't see him producing much at the next level based on some of his tendencies.

I think if they were to draft a runningback late, Corey Clement would be a good fit. Already is accustom to running out of power sets, and looks to be a one cut / downhill runner with a bit of speed combined with power. Not sure we'll go with Connor because he's a battering ram similar to Tolbert

Edited by jdonley1180

I think if they were to draft a runningback late, Corey Clement would be a good fit. Already is accustom to running out of power sets, and looks to be a one cut / downhill runner with a bit of speed combined with power. Not sure we'll go with Connor because he's a battering ram similar to Tolbert

Big 10 RBs. :wub:

have you looked at the track record for big ten runningbacks though? aside from a handful Leveon Bell, Eddie George, Tyrone Wheatley, and Elliot the ones that put up good numbers in college really haven't fared well in the NFL. Or i'm completely off my rocker

have you looked at the track record for big ten runningbacks though? aside from a handful Leveon Bell, Eddie George, Tyrone Wheatley, and Elliot the ones that put up good numbers in college really haven't fared well in the NFL. Or i'm completely off my rocker

Jordan Howard, Melvin Gordon, Carlos Hyde, and i know I'm projecting but Saquan Barkley is going to be the absolute truth next year

3 of the top 5 and 5 of the top 15 rushers from last year were B1G

Edited by YoloinOhio

Not a fan of what I see. Simple as that. I could be wrong, clearly, I just don't see him producing much at the next level based on some of his tendencies.

I see him as outperforming his draft position, wherever that may be. Here is an interesting read from the player himself:

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/james-conner-pitt-letter-to-nfl-gms/

I would love to have him on my team.

What are those numbers? Mike Tolberts YPC.

One touchdown in the last three seasons.

His signing rivals the Ducasse signing for stoooopidness.

LOL Tolbert was not signed to tote the rock. He was signed to be a "McD" guy in the locker room, and he's tough as nails.