most mocks have bills taking williams

buffuct

I don't think Williams is as good as either Jeffrey or Evans coming out...And those two were my favorite players in their respective Drafts...I'm the one that would have Drafted Jeffrey at #10 overall (over Gilmore), and Evans instead of Watkins (though I loved Sammy too)...So I feel like I have a good gauge on this comparison...

I like Williams and I'm OK with the Bills Drafting him (though I think #10 is too high and I do not see much logic in using a top 10 pick on a #2 WR)...But he's not on the level of Jeffrey and Evans as the complete package coming out IMHO...Williams has areas of strength that are REAL strong, but the rest is a mixed bag...I agree Williams will be a good Red Zone target, and his ability on 50/50 balls is undeniable...

I'm not really anti-Williams...But I do like Corey Davis more...And I'm pretty much anti-WR or TE at #10 for the Bills...I'd MUCH rather have Reuben Foster and JuJu...or Hooker and Zay Jones than a WR at #10 and what you can get elsewhere in the 2nd...But that may be just me... B-)

I agree with your assessment. IMHO, Williams just doesn't scream elite and isn't great value at 10. I am hoping the Bills can find a trade partner and trade down for more picks.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Trubisky is gone at 10 , and Zach Brown is not here , trade down and restock D early. Chad in late 5th rd

I think Andre Holmes signing is the tall #2 WR that Taylor can find .

Corey Washington is the other fast , 6'4'' WR the Bills signed.

Taylor needs to keep throwing to Sammy and Clay primary.

Edited by ALF

if this happens i would feel like i did when they took cj spilier . i couldn't believe it , then i came around to being pissed. i know we need a wr but at 10 ? NO ! to many holes on defense that has lost alot of players and were not good anyways

the media spend about 10 seconds analyzing the Bills. no one cares about the Bills. they look at the roster and go , yeah, whatever, a receiver will do ... next..

So where is the line drawn? A lot of you in this thread are advocating that you can't really know a wide receiver's potential because we don't know if and how he will "separate" from NFL DBs. Apparently that half-argument is enough to justify passing on 2 elite wide outs who the bills are in a great position to draft. Sorry i aint buying that brandy.

The defense needs to be improved. Luckily this draft is deep with defensive backs. Unless the safety from OSU falls to us, i say take williams or davis and be happy.

Edited by Zulu Cthulhu

I honestly don't know enough about the draft class to speculate -that's why I come here. But I don't like a WR @ 10 because we're paying a solid TE a hefty amount for 35 catches a year as our QB just doesn't have good field vision. Add in that we're a Run 1St offense which has led the League 2 years running (pun) and a primo pick in what is considered a very deep draft would be much better spent on defense or OL, imo.

Until we have "the guy" at QB I say build this roster to be as good as it can be without him. To me it's obvious we need another WR that can either step in and replace Sammy because he's not healthy or no longer here (see leaving after his rookie contract). Williams to me is a Dez Bryant type in that he's not super fast but can be a guy who can win one on one matchups and a true difference maker. I'd take him at 10 so long as one of the top two Safeties is gone. Otherwise I'd consider OJ Howard or a trade down.

Draft good players at premium positions; worrying about needs is a fool's errand IMO

That said, Williams isn't a tier 1 NFL WR threat IMO. Nice player, but there will probably be better investments available at 10.

So you're saying we'll probably draft Williams then, maybe even move up to get him.

Corey Davis has to be the pick and there's no LB anywhere near Keuchly in this draft. We may have to pick Davis if for no other reason than Watkins injury insurance.

If you want injury insurance why not take a WR in the 2nd round? I don't want us to spend precious capital on insurance. I'm very ambivalent on this pick, but I would not make the call based on insurance. I'd make it on BPA and ability to scheme around the person I brought in.

I have no idea who they will take, and I tend to prefer that they take the best player at an elite position -- d-line, cb, qb, wr, maybe TE. But WR is DEFINITELY a need. They have precisely one good receiver and last I checked, the NFL is a passing league. The Bills need to improve their passing game if they want to take the next step. They of course need help on defense, but getting another receiver is just as important. They can't go into the season with Watkins (who recently had surgery again) and a bunch of nobodies.

This idea that drafting a particular player at a core position is a "bad investment" of resources is nonsense. Get the best players you can.

Edited by dave mcbride

I have no idea who they will take, and I tend to prefer that they take the best player at an elite position -- d-line, cb, qb, wr, maybe TE. But WR is DEFINITELY a need. They have precisely one good receiver and last I checked, the NFL is a passing league. The Bills need to improve their passing game if they want to take the next step. They of course need help on defense, but getting another receiver is just as important. They can't go into the season with Watkins (who recently had surgery again) and a bunch of nobodies.

This idea that drafting a particular player at a core position is a "bad investment" of resources is nonsense. Get the best players you can.

I agree, that being said I'm still intrigued by Howard. He seems to be kind of a hybrid TE WR.

Voice of reason once again.

There's a lot of holes; we all know that. All of you mentioning our "run first" offense seemed to have forgot we fired all our coaches. Who knows what dennison wants to do with this personnel? If M. Williams or C. Davis is there at 10 and they take either of them, you're going to seriously say that pick doesn't help the team???

Edited by Zulu Cthulhu

There's a lot of holes; we all know that. All of you mentioning our "run first" offense seemed to have forgot we fired all our coaches. Who knows what dennison wants to do with this personnel? If M. Williams or C. Davis is there at 10 and they take either of them, you're going to seriously say that pick doesn't help the team???

McD & Dennison are on record as saying the run 1st approach is what we'll be doing -because we're good at it.. Why do think there's 10 FB's signed?

Corey Davis at 10 is who I want. I don't think Sammy stays healthy and probably leaves after his rookie deal is up. Davis is the most complete WR on the board. Use the rest of the draft on defense. We just spent 3 high picks on D last year.

We're a Watkins injury from again having the worst WR core in the league.

Edited by HeHateMe

McD & Dennison are on record as saying the run 1st approach is what we'll be doing -because we're good at it.. Why do think there's 10 FB's signed #*!

chandler#81 is right on . i do not understand all the confusion with this . tt has his top three targets in sam , clay, and shady and would like oj howard for run and pass game in draft then all def after that a wr does not help this team that much and getting one just in case is foolish

Corey Davis at 10 is who I want. I don't think Sammy stays healthy and probably leaves after his rookie deal is up. Davis is the most complete WR on the board. Use the rest of the draft on defense. We just spent 3 high picks on D last year.

We're a Watkins injury from again having the (We have the) worst WR core in the league.

The only 1st round guys that have been successfully predicted in the last 30 years are Bruce and Dareus.

Every single year the mocks are wrong about who we are going to take. The only certainty is Garrett to browns, Adams to Titans and hooker to chargers. Other than that nobody has a clue.

By who? Mike Williams was kind of a consensus pick I feel like. McKelvin was a pretty standard pick. I'd have to go back and look but I'm not sure I agree with that statement.

Agree on everything you said. Except that we might have the worst WR core in the league even with a healthy Watkins. WR is a desperate position of need. I'd run to the podium and take Davis at 10 and then go defense the next three picks.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

I have no idea why so many people hate the idea of Williams.

For one, we need a #2 receiver. Desperately. We saw a year of "making do" last year and I didn't like it. Say what you will about TT, but with Sammy hurt we might have had the single worst WR corps in the league.

Pretty much every evaluation I've seen of Williams has him as a top 15 prospect (at worst). He has the bigger build to be the contrast to Sammy and has a great catch radius.

I get trading down since this is a deep draft but the quality of WR looks like it falls off a cliff after Williams and Davis. Maybe some decent pieces, but not some who is going to replace Sammy of he goes down again.

...just don't see more investment in the receiving corps (WR & TE) until TT can consistently demonstrate ability to process the entire field and find open guys.....you're retraining the "gray matter " to speed up if possible....film rats could probably go back and find numerous times guys broke off routes or coasted because they had zero confidence of seeing the ball......this kid's wheels cannot be the sole dependency factor to supplement an inconsistent passing component to this offense,,,,,,there is NO balance and "run or done" will NOT work IMO.....that's why we are "backfilling" the corps via FA with hopes somebody breaks out, either a new signing or an existing roster guy....would be nice if Listenbee or Logan Thomas broke through............

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

I have no idea why so many people hate the idea of Williams.

For one, we need a #2 receiver. Desperately. We saw a year of "making do" last year and I didn't like it. Say what you will about TT, but with Sammy hurt we might have had the single worst WR corps in the league.

Pretty much every evaluation I've seen of Williams has him as a top 15 prospect (at worst). He has the bigger build to be the contrast to Sammy and has a great catch radius.

I get trading down since this is a deep draft but the quality of WR looks like it falls off a cliff after Williams and Davis. Maybe some decent pieces, but not some who is going to replace Sammy of he goes down again.

Because he is a very limited route runner who couldn't get any separation in college and made a bunch of contested catches. Know what happens in the NFL? Those contested catches become knockdowns and interceptions because the CB's are stuck to him like glue. One trick ponies who do a single thing well typically do not succeed at the NFL level. At best this guy probably will be a red zone target. This is what happens when people don't understand the differences between college and the NFL. if the guy cannot get open against guys who aren't even good enough to play in the CFL, how the heck is he gonna get open against elite college QB's who now are better players?

The obvious answer? He won't.

You don't draft players 10th overall to be a red zone option. Let's use some sense.

Edited by matter2003

Davis injury worries me as he done no offseason tests. I favor Mike Williams as he plays bigger. His size and red zone/speed numbers remind me a little of Dez Bryant.

I hate this pick so much. What happened last time we picked WR high with a limited QB?

We got a Pro Bowl talent at WR who'd likely been in a few if he could avoid the injury bug?

...just don't see more investment in the receiving corps (WR & TE) until TT can consistently demonstrate ability to process the entire field and find open guys.....you're retraining the "gray matter " to speed up if possible....film rats could probably go back and find numerous times guys broke off routes or coasted because they had zero confidence of seeing the ball......this kid's wheels cannot be the sole dependency factor to supplement an inconsistent passing component to this offense,,,,,,there is NO balance and "run or done" will NOT work IMO.....that's why we are "backfilling" the corps via FA with hopes somebody breaks out, either a new signing or an existing roster guy....would be nice if Listenbee or Logan Thomas broke through............

Problem with this, there are plenty that will show you stats of how well TT played with guys like Watkins and Woods in the lineup at the same time.

I love williams and davis. However, the stats haven't been in the favor of taking WRs early.

I can't envision Dennison being as ground and pound as Rex. I could absolutely see it being a focal point with the talent we have and have signed.

However, their is an argument to be made by the Tyrod support crowd that he needs better weapons and someone like Williams or Davis would go a long way.

I think Hooker, Adams, Lattimore, Allen are going to be off the board. So it's going to be between Foster & Howard an McDermott goes defense with his first pick to find his next Luke Kuechly.

The issue may be Foster's learning disability, which might cause some teams to be uncomfortable taking him high. Apparently Foster has considerable difficulty charting x's and o'x on the white board, but excels on the field when he can visualize what is in front of him. I suspect he slips into the 20s.

After looking at the Bills depth for all positions, I believe the most glairing need based on depth is at OLB, with CB coming in at a close second, and DE coming in at a distant third. WR, Safety, and RT have a lot of depth, but still have question marks.

Within the draft, I really don't see a lot of depth at LB in the later rounds that would produce a possible day 1 starter. That would be my # 1 need since we have two starting OLBs that are career special teams aces. DB is stacked this year, and I believe we can find a day 1 starter / contributor in the later rounds. DE is set with their two starters, but lack serious depth in a scheme that requires a lot of subbing in and out. Fortunately there is some solid depth here as well that we can address in the later rounds as well. We have projected starters, and projected backups for WR, S, and RT, but seriously lack the guy we truly desire so I could see us making a play on either one of these positions early in the draft. With this being said, here is my prediction for the upcoming draft.

1-10: Trade to Browns for 1-12, 4-108, 5-175 (Browns take Deshaun Watson)

1-12: Bills take OLB Ha'ason Reddick (With his athleticism, he'll fit any scheme. I project him to play the "Will" but will rush the passer often)

2-44: Bills take TE Evan Engram (Will be primarily a move TE with Clay / O'Leary filling most blocking duties)

3-75: Bills take CB Shaquill Griffin (Could start day 1. Physical, long armed, tackling CB)

4-108: Bills take DE Dawuane Smoot (More of a run defending DE, but would be thrown in rotation immediately)

5-156: Bills take WR Robert Davis (Had a great combine, but lacked production in college. Will play a role on special teams)

5-171 Bills take CB Brian Allen (Another combine freak. Could push for playing time, but needs a lot of work)

5-175 Bills take WR Levonte "Kermit" Whitfield (Kermit provides insurance to Listenbee, and is also a great return man)

6-195 Bills take OL Jerry Ugokwe (McDermott likes this kids potential as well as the school he comes from)

Well there you have it. As you can see there are no QBs taken this year, but the Bills will surely add one via free agency after the draft. The Bills will also sign a few more pass rushers and LBs as well.

GO BILLS!

After looking at the Bills depth for all positions, I believe the most glairing need based on depth is at OLB, with CB coming in at a close second, and DE coming in at a distant third. WR, Safety, and RT have a lot of depth, but still have question marks.

Within the draft, I really don't see a lot of depth at LB in the later rounds that would produce a possible day 1 starter. That would be my # 1 need since we have two starting OLBs that are career special teams aces. DB is stacked this year, and I believe we can find a day 1 starter / contributor in the later rounds. DE is set with their two starters, but lack serious depth in a scheme that requires a lot of subbing in and out. Fortunately there is some solid depth here as well that we can address in the later rounds as well. We have projected starters, and projected backups for WR, S, and RT, but seriously lack the guy we truly desire so I could see us making a play on either one of these positions early in the draft. With this being said, here is my prediction for the upcoming draft.

1-10: Trade to Browns for 1-12, 4-108, 5-175 (Browns take Deshaun Watson)

1-12: Bills take OLB Ha'ason Reddick (With his athleticism, he'll fit any scheme. I project him to play the "Will" but will rush the passer often)

2-44: Bills take TE Evan Engram (Will be primarily a move TE with Clay / O'Leary filling most blocking duties)

3-75: Bills take CB Shaquill Griffin (Could start day 1. Physical, long armed, tackling CB)

4-108: Bills take DE Dawuane Smoot (More of a run defending DE, but would be thrown in rotation immediately)

5-156: Bills take WR Robert Davis (Had a great combine, but lacked production in college. Will play a role on special teams)

5-171 Bills take CB Brian Allen (Another combine freak. Could push for playing time, but needs a lot of work)

5-175 Bills take WR Levonte "Kermit" Whitfield (Kermit provides insurance to Listenbee, and is also a great return man)

6-195 Bills take OL Jerry Ugokwe (McDermott likes this kids potential as well as the school he comes from)

Well there you have it. As you can see there are no QBs taken this year, but the Bills will surely add one via free agency after the draft. The Bills will also sign a few more pass rushers and LBs as well.

GO BILLS!

i think i just read this on another topic like two minutes ago good job though

Edited by buffuct

i think i just read this on another topic like two minutes ago good job though

LMAO!! Yeah I got yelled at yesterday on the "Shout" board, but damn man there are like 10 draft boards going on at once. Someone needs to centralize them.

I hate this pick so much. What happened last time we picked WR high with a limited QB?

Big difference in using two 1sts and a 4th on a WR with EJ Manuel as your QB in what was thought to be one of the best WR drafts in history (it was) and....

Using the 10th pick to grab one of the two eilite WRs in the draft when your WR corp is arguably the worst in the NFL and you have a competent QB in Taylor.

Edited by Billy Zabka

Kiper vs McShay latest dueling mock draft:

Kiper: O.J. Howard, TE, Alabama | Watch highlights
Buffalo badly needs pass-catchers, and Howard is the best tight end in the draft. He has all of the athletic attributes (4.51 40 at 6-6, 251) of a top-tier all-around player. Charles Clay has underperformed the five-year deal he signed in 2015.

McShay: Marshon Lattimore, CB, Ohio State | Watch highlights
If Lattimore fell this far, his history of hamstring injuries would probably be the biggest reason. Durability issues aside, the Bills would be thrilled to see Lattimore available here. He has elite coverage ability and good ball skills. Plus, cornerback is suddenly a much bigger need in Buffalo after it lost Stephon Gilmore in free agency.

I honestly don't know enough about the draft class to speculate -that's why I come here. But I don't like a WR @ 10 because we're paying a solid TE a hefty amount for 35 catches a year as our QB just doesn't have good field vision. Add in that we're a Run 1St offense which has led the League 2 years running (pun) and a primo pick in what is considered a very deep draft would be much better spent on defense or OL, imo.

He seems to find Sammy Watkins pretty well

First time I've seen him mocked to us

Josh Norris of Rotoworld

10. Buffalo Bills - LB Haason Reddick, Temple - Linebacker is a pivotal position in Sean McDermott’s defense, and athleticism is a critical factor for linebackers to star in the system.

Neither Preston Brown or Reggie Ragland scream “range” like Luke Kuechly and Thomas Davis. Reddick offers that athleticism (93rd percentile) as well as possible blitzing or pass rushing possibilities.

Edited by CNY315