ESPN hires Rex Ryan

papazoid

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe they'll give him and Rob their own show, The Lazy, Sloppy Fat Assed Idiots Hour. They can bring in Dennis Thurman, IK, and all the hangers-on that follow Wrecks from free lunch to free lunch.

....pretty sure Rob has been hired for "Cupcake Wars" but I'm probably wrong......

Host: "Well, we were looking forward to this cupcake competition but somehow they've all gone missing."

Rob: (face lit with contentment, slumps down in his chair... removes sprinkles from beard) "It wasn't me!"

....also has a lucrative endorsement pending for lap band surgery......guy has it made.... :thumbsup:

i hope one day to run across rex ryan so i can give him a few words. the fat blowhard (*^*&%^$^#is such a lazy hack talentless moron piece of scum.

I'm disappointed by the anti-Rex sentiment here. He was a bad fit for our personnel but I can't fault him for taking the gig. I wish him nothing but the best.

it is what he did and said afterwards that did it for me. i didn't care when he came, didn't care when he was here, thought he was washed up and apathetic towards winning and all in all just didn't care.

i dislike him. but, chances are i won't have to care about rex ryan anymore and i'm happy.

I'm disappointed by the anti-Rex sentiment here. He was a bad fit for our personnel but I can't fault him for taking the gig. I wish him nothing but the best.

I ageee fully. It didn't work out. That isn't a reason to trash the man relentlessly.

I did find one comment appropos

I won't wish him ill will but I won't wish him well either

i hope one day to run across rex ryan so i can give him a few words. the fat blowhard (*^*&%^$^#is such a lazy hack talentless moron piece of scum.

it is what he did and said afterwards that did it for me. i didn't care when he came, didn't care when he was here, thought he was washed up and apathetic towards winning and all in all just didn't care.

i dislike him. but, chances are i won't have to care about rex ryan anymore and i'm happy.

so. Tell us how you really feel.

sick. this lump should not be allowed to make money from football. he needs to bag groceries.

...he pulled off a bigger heist of Pegula than Willie Sutton could have ever dreamed of.......hell, I'd bet he traded that wrapped Ford pickup on a Brinks truck to get outta Buffalo.................

Due to offset language in his Bills contract, Rex will be working for free at ESPN

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/20/rex-ryan-likely-will-be-working-for-free-at-espn/

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Ryans contract with the Bills has offset language that applies not only to other coaching jobs but also to broadcasting jobs. Thus, with $5.5 million due to Ryan for each of the next three years, the biggest winners in light of Ryans employment at ESPN are owners Terry and Kim Pegula, who will be getting credit for every dollar Ryan earns at ESPN, up to $5.5 million per year.

ESPN has so much garbage and so little sports, it has gone from being my favorite channel to the only channel I feel guilty about giving a view. Long gone are the glory days of Sportscenter, NFL Primetime, etc. Rex's addition won't get my view either, just another side show clown.

Nice!

You gotta give some credit to whoever wrote Rex's contract (Overdorf?). It was smart putting that offset language in there about broadcasting jobs.

Rex tried to defend against that clause but it got through anyway.

I can see it now. Rex leading a 10 person panel show where only half the guys are in the right chair before coming back from commercial break, cameramen struggling to stay focused on the speaker. We'll hear all about how its the most complicated sports show on the air today. After 2 years of losing the ratings battle to the local show in the New England area, Rex gets canned and spends the summer talking about how he and his brother are teaming up to take radio by storm.

Due to offset language in his Bills contract, Rex will be working for free at ESPN

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/20/rex-ryan-likely-will-be-working-for-free-at-espn/

Who are the idiots who write PFT stories?

The first paragraph is 100% factually incorrect. Rex will get paid from ESPN as per his contract, and Pegulas won't have to pay him whatever ESPN pays him.

So how much will former Jets and Bills coach Rex Ryan make over the next three years as an employee of ESPN? Probably not a dime.

Morons.

Who are the idiots who write PFT stories?

The first paragraph is 100% factually incorrect. Rex will get paid from ESPN as per his contract, and Pegulas won't have to pay him whatever ESPN pays him.

Morons.

Isn't that what they're saying? He makes zero because it offsets from what the Pegulas would already be paying him. AKA working for free.

Isn't that what they're saying? He makes zero because it offsets from what the Pegulas would already be paying him. AKA working for free.

Working for free indicates that he's not getting a penny from his employer.

That is wrong.

He's going to get a paycheck from ESPN, and that paycheck from ESPN will reduce the amount he's set to receive from Pegulas on a dollar for dollar basis.

To recap - He won't be working for free, he will get paid by ESPN, but he won't be getting paid by Pegulas.

Working for free indicates that he's not getting a penny from his employer.

That is wrong.

He's going to get a paycheck from ESPN, and that paycheck from ESPN will reduce the amount he's set to receive from Pegulas on a dollar for dollar basis.

To recap - He won't be working for free, he will get paid by ESPN, but he won't be getting paid by Pegulas.

I think what they were trying to say was whether he's working or not, he was still getting paid. So he's not making anything extra by working at ESPN or staying at home.

"Thus, with $5.5 million due to Ryan for each of the next three years, the biggest winners in light of Ryan’s employment at ESPN are owners Terry and Kim Pegula, who will be getting credit for every dollar Ryan earns at ESPN, up to $5.5 million per year."

I think what they were trying to say was whether he's working or not, he was still getting paid. So he's not making anything extra by working at ESPN or staying at home.

"Thus, with $5.5 million due to Ryan for each of the next three years, the biggest winners in light of Ryan’s employment at ESPN are owners Terry and Kim Pegula, who will be getting credit for every dollar Ryan earns at ESPN, up to $5.5 million per year."

I know what they were trying to say. But it's not what they actually said. Hence, idiots.

• 2 weeks later...

Well this is different than previously reported

@profootballtalk

How does ESPN justify adding Rex Ryan when it's shedding millions? Per source, he's getting $300,000 per year. Buffalo pays another $5.2M.

@profootballtalk

I hope I'm wrong, but I think TV Rex Ryan will be not nearly as entertaining as Head Coach Rex Ryan.

@profootballtalk

How does ESPN justify adding Rex Ryan when it's shedding millions? Per source, he's getting $300,000 per year. Buffalo pays another $5.2M.

@profootballtalk

I hope I'm wrong, but I think TV Rex Ryan will be not nearly as entertaining as Head Coach Rex Ryan.

Terry and Kim get back financially what is akin to buying a Snickers bar for them ($300K a year).

ESPN gains a blowhard who will spend more time talking about how great he was than he does working to provide critical analysis.

Coach Ryan--I have met John Madden and you are no John Madden.

Terry and Kim get back financially what is akin to buying a Snickers bar for them ($300K a year).

ESPN gains a blowhard who will spend more time talking about how great he was than he does working to provide critical analysis.

Coach Ryan--I have met John Madden and you are no John Madden.

Eh I think that that's a little unfair. He wasn't a great head coach, but by all accounts he was much less bluster than in his early Jets days, and genuinely a good guy. He took a couple years away that's could have spent towards building a better team, with another coach, but I don't wish him bad, and think he will be good at his new role.

Eh I think that that's a little unfair. He wasn't a great head coach, but by all accounts he was much less bluster than in his early Jets days, and genuinely a good guy. He took a couple years away that's could have spent towards building a better team, with another coach, but I don't wish him bad, and think he will be good at his new role.

Totally concur that he will do fine and I don't wish him ill will.

However, he will be doing a lot more talking about himself and his "achievements" than he will be providing critical analysis. His analysis will almost always lead back to him rather than about the specific situation. That was my main point.

@profootballtalk

@profootballtalk

Not surprising.

I bet he will get a huge raise in a few years when the Pegula money dries up... (assuming he lasts that long).