PFT: Bill's one player loss away from 3rd round comp pick

Incorrect. They can't be traded

They just changed the rule last year.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/11/19/compensatory-picks-can-be-traded-in-next-years-draft/

I don't understand the craziness about comp draft picks. We have to lose players to get the additional picks. I mean we can push it over the edge if need be by not signing someone until after a certain point or whatever but the fans thinking we should base free agency around it is ridiculous.

Edited by What a Tuel

The NFL compensates teams for losing high profile FA if you sign less FA's than you lose

For some reason Bills fans don't want this picks

That is a head scratcher

Yes, we are currently negative one

To get that potential 3rd 2 of our FA's must sign with other teams before the draft

To get that potential 3rd and a 4th 3 of our FA's must sign with other teams before the draft

And we have to stop signing marginal backup depth players

Though I agree if we sign a substantial player that is worth losing a 3rd

I can't name one we have signed this off season worth losing a 3rd round pick over

jc

Who gives a **** about comp picks? They don't mean anything

It's this exact kind of backwards thinking that has kept this organization from competing with the best teams in the league for years. We had a chance to get in on the ground floor of the comp pick stratagem, but screwed the pooch. Now look at us.

It's this exact kind of backwards thinking that has kept this organization from competing with the best teams in the league for years. We had a chance to get in on the ground floor of the comp pick stratagem, but screwed the pooch. Now look at us.

Comp picks, mail in rebates, and clipping proof of purchase from cereal boxes are all keys to success in the NFL.

Comp picks, mail in rebates, and clipping proof of purchase from cereal boxes are all keys to success in the NFL.

Wait, WHAT?!?!?!?! You mean like Box Tops or just the barcode? Cause if its the Box Tops, my @#$% kid has been taking them into school for years, clearly holding the Bills back. Should I wake him up and punish him or just wait until the am and see if he has any saved up, maybe get us a few more comp picks? Also, what is your thought about building a team through recycled newspapers?

And shot out to the Ghost of Jamie for bringing up this little discussed topic!

Edited by Tenhigh

I think this chart clearly shows the value of comp picks relative to a player's age. Since comp picks were first awarded in 1960, there has been a steady increase in their relative importance and value, especially for NFL teams competing in odd numbered years.

My hope is that people can stop this incessant back and forth on the subject and put the issue to rest now that it's been broken down scientifically and in a format we can all relate to.

healy-1.png

If you don't think comp picks are significant and want to mock them, you clearly don't understand them.

What people are mocking is the silly idea that comp picks are an end unto themselves, that you should strategize to get at the expense of your upcoming season.