Chris Brown: Whaley doesn't get enough cred from Bills fans

Isn't Jim Monos on the pro personnel side? How much is this really Whaley. However, regarding this past draft I highly suspect Rex had major influence in the draft room resulting in picking Lawson and Ragland. So I believe the owners gave a pass to Whaley and reason he has managed to hang around this long. With the Bills it is hard to know who is in charge of what. It is difficult to assign blame when you have a GM who appears to just be a glorified scout.

Edited by billieve420

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Whaley has been one of the better Bills GMs. He's made many good moves. But people needs scapegoats. The Bills would have made the playoffs last year if the D wasn't mishandled by Rex and Co.

Kyle Orton has been one of the better Bills QB's as well. He made many good plays.

Edited by FireChan

My take is you can't have your cake and eat it too. You can't say Rex sucks and Whaley sucks. It's one or the other.

The Bills have been a middle-of-the-pack franchise the last couple years.

Either Rex was a good coach with a bad roster. Or Rex was a bad coach with a good roster. That's how you get to .500.

If Rex was a bad coach as most assert, well, we still won nearly half our games which means he must have had a good roster.

So, thank you, Doug Whaley.

Edited by hondo in seattle

Bottom line: Wether right or wrong, fair or unfair, will Whaley be ultimately judged the hero or the goat based on wether he brought a franchise QB to Buffalo? He struck out with EJ Manuel and a lot of Bills fans call for his firing, . But on the other side of the equation you look at some guys he DID bring here and you have to think dang Great job! (Lorenzo and Zach Brown amongst others) So.....IMO he shouldn't be able to rest on his "from the Pittsburgh Steelers" laurels and I think HE knows he has 1 year or 2 TOPS before he too feels the axe if the Bills don't get to a playoff game MINIMUM

According to Chris Brown on the John Murphy Show yesterday, Bills GM Doug Whaley has exceeded expectations "in spades" with regard to personnel. He especially cited the Justin Hunter pickup last season as strong evidence of this. Lorenzo Alexander and Zach Brown also mentioned.

What say you, Bills fan? Do we need to give more credit to Whaley for what he's accomplished during his career with the Bills? Is this roster stacked with talent and we just haven't received good enough coaching to get the appropriate production?

Does the sad fact that this franchise only has two players on the current roster drafted by the Bills between 2010 and 2013 not apply to Whaley?

That says it all

Kyle Orton has been one of the better Bills QB's as well. He made many good plays.

You always did have some unholy man love for Orton. Tyrod is at least as good as Orton. Maybe not quite as good a passer, stat wise, but Tyrod is a much more dynamic player. Tyrod with that 2014 defense would have had us in the playoffs.

As well it should be. DW has done some good things (including the Tyrod restructure) and some bad things like failures to find a franchise qb. The team has failed to reach the playoffs during his watch. And we've seen recently that Terry believes in Sean. Let's not kid ourselves, Whaley needs a dynamic year to solidify his position with the Bills.

Whaley has always been good at pro personnel evaluation. His drafting and QB evaluations are a different story.

Drafting looks good on the injury reports.

You always did have some unholy man love for Orton. Tyrod is at least as good as Orton. Maybe not quite as good a passer, stat wise, but Tyrod is a much more dynamic player. Tyrod with that 2014 defense would have had us in the playoffs.

TT + The running game + that 2014 defense = YES, we'd have been 11-5 and in the playoffs

I think Whaley has been one of the better Bills GMs. He's made many good moves. But people needs scapegoats. The Bills would have made the playoffs last year if the D wasn't mishandled by Rex and Co.

What cap problem?

Don't know what planet you live on. but the Bills cap situation the last couple years hasn't been the greatest for a team with no big expenditure at QB and no playoff success.

Also love how you fault people for needing scapegoats and then blame Rex for all the team's problems in the very next sentence.

The point of the post was that being "one of the better Bills X" doesn't mean all that much.

Orton playing all 16 games in 2014 makes the playoffs, IMO.

Edited by FireChan

According to Chris Brown on the John Murphy Show yesterday, Bills GM Doug Whaley has exceeded expectations "in spades" with regard to personnel. He especially cited the Justin Hunter pickup last season as strong evidence of this. Lorenzo Alexander and Zach Brown also mentioned.

What say you, Bills fan? Do we need to give more credit to Whaley for what he's accomplished during his career with the Bills? Is this roster stacked with talent and we just haven't received good enough coaching to get the appropriate production?

Exceeded expectations? Good grief.

Poor cap management. Above average trades and FAs but not tremendously far above average. Below average drafting. Poor coach selection.

He's lucky to have retained his job this year.

Does the sad fact that this franchise only has two players on the current roster drafted by the Bills between 2010 and 2013 not apply to Whaley?

May 13, 2013. That's the day he became GM, so of course he can't be held responsible for GM moves before that.
But did the constant scheme switches on both sides of the ball ramp up the speed of turnover? Almost certainly.

Edited by Thurman#1

The point of the post was that being "one of the better Bills X" doesn't mean all that much.

Orton playing all 16 games in 2014 makes the playoffs, IMO.

I suppose thats possible. That would mean we would have at least beat Houston or San diego, or both for a 3-1 or a 4-0 start. EJ was pretty bad in both those games. I cant say Orton would have won that Houston game though. As bad as EJ was, JJ Watt was an uncaged beast in that game. And Orton wasnt the most mobile, or courageous QB ive ever seen.

He hasn't been bad enough to warrant being fired, but "exceeding expectations" ?!.. that's a bit of a stretch.

I evaluate my employees multiple times a year and most everyone gets a "meets expectations" rating. There are those who feel like they deserve higher. I'm like... you do your job, and are pretty good at it, but if you want to see a higher rating, then you're going to need to do something extraordinary.

I haven't seen extraordinary from Whaley.

Chris Brown is not for those without a brain. He always bring a great point of view to Sals show or Murphys

Whaley took over drafting in 2014 drafted 20 players 15 are currently on the roster

This is likely as good or better than most NFL teams.

As an example I randomly picked Seattle since 2014, 27 draft picks 14 on team

Whaley wasnt picking players prior to 2014

DW has built a top heavy roster with major holes at WR, CB, RT and possibly LB. Whaley has sold out the last few years by putting the Bills to the cap and trading up in drafts only to get to .500. His cap management is atrocious. His drafts have been mediocre at best, has trouble getting along with coaches, and lacks leadership and communication skills. Compared to Marv Levy and Russ Brandon, DW looks pretty good, but that is setting the bar low. Whaley is a good scout especially on the defensive side of the ball, but is simply overmatched as a GM. Pegula should have made a change when Rex was fired.

People are never happy. When Ralph was owner, people complained we didn't spend money. Now cap management is atrocious. Overdorf used to be the scapegoat. Now you're blaming Whaley.

2013 draft comments crack me up. We got LeSean McCoy for Kiko. EJ didn't pan out. Most QB's don't. Seeing Robert Woods go is sad, but we haven't seen who the replacement will be yet. Marquis is a FA who hopefully we'll end up positive for a comp pick if we sign less than we lose. Meeks and Duke WIlliams contributed for a number of years. Chriss Gragg was a 7th rounder who was our #2 TE until he got hurt. We just had a coaching change (again). You can't put all that crap on WHaley. Oi. Some of you [people need to move out of Buffalo and get some warmer weather. I think it's starting to make some of you folk miserable.

Chris Brown is not for those without a brain. He always bring a great point of view to Sals show or Murphys

Whaley took over drafting in 2014 drafted 20 players 15 are currently on the roster

This is likely as good or better than most NFL teams.

As an example I randomly picked Seattle since 2014, 27 draft picks 14 on team

Whaley wasnt picking players prior to 2014

Well that's just not true.

He picked 1 wrong QB, he traded back and did that... Plenty of coaches pick multiple bad QBs.

Hell Broncos haven't gotten one yet they had to lure Peyton over.

Other then that it is what it says and he is our GM, he NEEDS to have the best draft of his career right here to stay.

I like DW and I think overall he is trying his hardest to build a winning team in Buffalo

However I'd love to ask Chris Brown a point blank question

How much credit should a young GM get for continuing 7-9 consecutive win seasons where the team never makes the playoffs?

I guess if you're criteria is we competed and we were never a bottom feeder team DW deserves more credit than he is getting

However if your criteria is making the playoffs then unfort DW has failed miserably

If your criteria is going out and getting talent I see mixed results

Some nice hints on FA's especially last year but its been a while since he's gone out and brought an exciting top player here

I guess I would like to know Brown's expectations and or criteria

jc

People are never happy. When Ralph was owner, people complained we didn't spend money. Now cap management is atrocious. Overdorf used to be the scapegoat. Now you're blaming Whaley.

2013 draft comments crack me up. We got LeSean McCoy for Kiko. EJ didn't pan out. Most QB's don't. Seeing Robert Woods go is sad, but we haven't seen who the replacement will be yet. Marquis is a FA who hopefully we'll end up positive for a comp pick if we sign less than we lose. Meeks and Duke WIlliams contributed for a number of years. Chriss Gragg was a 7th rounder who was our #2 TE until he got hurt. We just had a coaching change (again). You can't put all that crap on WHaley. Oi. Some of you [people need to move out of Buffalo and get some warmer weather. I think it's starting to make some of you folk miserable.

What do you expect him to say?

"He's done a great job for a team that hasn't made the playoffs since forever!"

What does a bad job look like?

Come on...even if you love the job Whaley is doing, saying he has exceeded expectations is laughable.

It is laughable.

It reminds me of the old saying, "Keep your expectations low and you'll never be disappointed!"

After watching prior generations of GMs of Bills blow it year after year draft after draft picking players even CFL won't use, this team is *somewhat* relevant again with very good talent spread across the depth chart. You can't tell me that we have at least one good talent in secondary, LB, D line, O line, WR, RB, TE, etc. I don't think most of the teams that didn't make the playoffs last year can say that bout their team.

For years Bills had jack SQUAT. Zilch. Nada. The only player of any note was Kyle Williams. Every one else was GARBAGE! Not even recyclable! There are good pieces, keep building on this. Stability will be key in terms of coaching and schemes and personnel types you need along with good talent evaluators. Flip flopping rosters coz of coaching changes does your program Jack.

Chris Brown is obviously trolling the fanbase, not bad!

Whaley has always been good at pro personnel evaluation. His drafting and QB evaluations are a different story.

Whaley came in and knew QB was the problem, told everyone he would address it with urgency. Many years later, staffs fired we still need a franchise worthy QB. In my opinion he will be fired and will never find one, Whaley legacy is his own words that he stated when hired, "QB purgatory".

Maybe someday when he is a scout again he will see using other teams backups is not how to address it with urgency.

Edited by xRUSHx

Yeah it's hard to argue with that. Sad part, out of the three areas pro personnel is the least important

By the way.... I can't stand Chris Brown. Tim Graham and some of the BN news guys were taking some indirect shots at Brown and John Murphy. So he responded by saying Bucky and Sully were unprofessional at the Rex press conference on the John Murphy Show. So when I called Brown on it, he blocked me.

Brown's work benefits no one, and it's a great example of the "state radio" the Bills want to administer