So far Bills Secondary appears to be weaker for 2017

gjv001

That's not how it works.

AW saved us $1.7M, not $6.

Gilmore didn't save us $14M, that's not an addition.

isn't this a comparison of if Gilmore & Williams stayed on team vs replacement ?

had we kept gilmore , he would likely ave $14 mil on the cap

had we kept AW , he would have a cap hit of + $6 mil

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think many GM's or coaches in the NFL would trade Stephon Gilmore and Aaron Williams for Micah Hyde and Jordan Poyer.

Lately I've been pretty pessimistic on the Bills, however the secondary I actually am more optimistic on this year for 2 reasons.

1. Consistency. Last year the moment Aaron Williams went down the whole secondary became a massive tire fire because they could be beat regularly deep. He really was instrumental in keeping things going well. Darby seemed to be kinda wrecked by the coaching staff's communication issues so I would be willing to give him a bit of a shot that his play was partially hurt just by coaching. Additionally while I thought Gilmore is a good player he was a tire fire himself the first half of last year and even when he improved he had zero safety help the back half of the year. Last year the secondary just wasn't dependable when you needed it and the lack of consistency killed the Bills.

2. Scheme. McDerms scheme puts the emphasis on the front 7 and less on the back end. It also is a scheme that plays to his players strengths and is far less confusing compared to Rex/Robs which players were ripping on its confusion regularly.

I think the team still needs to draft another SAF/CB in rnd 1 or 2 and sign a guy like Alteneer Verner. But while this years secondary may not have the sexy names like A Williams or Gilmore, I think it will be a bit more dependable and better against big plays then last year. My prediction is the pass defense ends up still being in the top half of the league.

What I am down big time on is our LBs with Zach Brown likely gone. Ragland is unknown so I won't assume him to be great and Preston Brown has stunk the last 2 years and I am not convinced he can get back to his play as a rookie even back in a 4-3 defense.

Edited by corta765

My brehs.....I totally agree....our secondary is a mess... everything else im ok with even WR if we can grab Britt, keep Hunter, and a good rookie in the 2nd or 3rd

I don't think many GM's or coaches in the NFL would trade Stephon Gilmore and Aaron Williams for Micah Hyde and Jordan Poyer.

Appears? It is a tire fire

However be ready to be flamed. The Rose color glasses of "no matter who the Bills sign it is an awesome signing" are out in full force last two days

For the amount of $$ Gilmore was asking for he should have been gone he's not as good as he thinks he is & he probably gave the Pats a discount but wouldn't give the Bills one .

As far as Williams goes i hate to see him go he is a team guy a Bills type player not the all about me thing but for the Bills to give him a roster spot like they have for the past 2 years & for him a huge part of the secondary to sit & the team pay the price literally & figuratively didn't make sense !

I think they almost had to make this decision for the team & ultimately to not have to bare the blunt of if Williams got hurt & it change the rest of his life in a bad way !!

I'm not sure about the backfield but it seems the fan base is getting more and more annoying.

Yeah both Sabres and Bills fans.. but when you've been this inept for so long there isn't much left to agree upon.

We made the right moves for salary cap reasons. Williams for sure was done, and this team could not afford to tie up $15m in a better than average CB when we will most likely get one of the top CB's in this draft as a replacement. Now we move that money over into multiple holes....

Edited by ddaryl

Unfortunately Aaron Williams was not even an option for us because of the serious injury. We don't know if he plays again. Micha Hyde is a great player and replacement. Very similar play to AW. Happy Gilmore is gone. He's not a competitor. Let's use that money on football players and draft one of the young CBs in the draft. Many good ones to choose from. Also K. Seymore is going to surprise many in McDermotts scheme. I'm happy how things have tuned out.

Hey guys. The bills will suck forever and ever. How do unknown this? Because I read MAJBobbys posts. #wah

We all knew we weren't a contender and had a multitude of free agents while not having much cap room or draft picks. It's going to be a rebuilding ear without completely tanking. Hopefully we can ad some good young players in FA and the draft that can help us this year and that we can build around. That's thets reality. Get used to it.

Edited by NewEra

Oooo yeah this Carolina Fan knows but another fan doesnt. Nice. Got it you dont like what i say. Cool and i could also be wrong. But i also onow what i have watched and i know the way i have seen something. And i stand by my watching and looking at a player.

Try it sometime instead of just taking other peoples word for it. It is kinda fun in life to be out there on your own

So since you got clowned on your constant Tyrod assessments last year, Darby is going to be your target this year?

I think Hyde is a good replacement at Safety. Losing Gilmore will hurt but lets see who else the Bills bring in. Gilmore is a good corner but not worth the money he is getting from the Pats. Lets see how the Bills secondary plays with the new scheme before passing judgement.

The secondary doesn't appear to be weaker. It is and the dropoff is Huuuuuge.

For,those that don't think the team will miss Gilmore (and others) they are in for a surprise.

Darby is now their top DB. How was his play last year?

I sure hope they are ready to play tomorrow, oh wait. They don't play for 6 months and have plenty of time to continue to build the roster.