gjv001

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Losing Gilmore is a big loss....

Sure he is... there's no argument there. Every move has to be evaluated based on performance (notice that I didn't say talent... cuz how much and how well you play is really what matters) AND compensation. We simply could not pay Gilmore $14M per year based upon the team's cap situation and the player's history of performance. It's only my opinion I guess... but my eyes saw a very good cornerback... certainly not a great one. No doubt we'll likely be worse on that side of the field this season... probably using a player with much less experience in that role. Perhaps the defense can still be better overall through improving communication and coordination between all of the moving parts.

Sure he is... there's no argument there. Every move has to be evaluated based on performance (notice that I didn't say talent... cuz how much and how well you play is really what matters) AND compensation. We simply could not pay Gilmore $14M per year based upon the team's cap situation and the player's history of performance. It's only my opinion I guess... but my eyes saw a very good cornerback... certainly not a great one. No doubt we'll likely be worse on that side of the field this season... probably using a player with much less experience in that role. Perhaps the defense can still be better overall through improving communication and coordination between all of the moving parts.

Maybe we can even put the right number of men on the field

If the guys they added (Hyde, Poyer) and the guys they will add are even average tacklers, the defense will be much improved. Gilmore, Blanton, Roby and Corey Graham

were terrible run defenders last year. Throw in the injured A. Williams and Zach Brown who overran every play the second part of the season and the group could only improve.

The nightmare of Jay Ajaya looking like Jim Brown and Leveon Bell walking into the endzone cannot be repeated.

Appears? It is a tire fire

However be ready to be flamed. The Rose color glasses of "no matter who the Bills sign it is an awesome signing" are out in full force last two days

I think you miss the point.

We lost A. Williams and Gilmore. So we're all nervous about the defensive backfield. Any news is good news at this point.

We know the backfield isn't good. We're just happy the Bills have signed somebody - anybody - so we won't have to line you up back there.

I think you miss the point.

We lost A. Williams and Gilmore. So we're all nervous about the defensive backfield. Any news is good news at this point.

We know the backfield isn't good. We're just happy the Bills have signed somebody - anybody - so we won't have to line you up back there.

I feel like Darby/Seymour/draft pick or vet FA at CB and Graham/Hyde/draft pick at S is sufficient

Don't know if it was Rex, his contract or what, but it got hard to watch Gilmore get torched in multiple games last year, call out teammates on the field and generally look like he would rather be anywhere but here. "I'm just happy to be a Buuufffalo Bill". Next.

I feel like Darby/Seymour/draft pick or vet FA at CB and Graham/Hyde/draft pick at S is sufficient

How can you forget Poyer as depth at S? I mean have you seen the thread on him??..... :lol:

Edited by Bray Wyatt

The only loss is Gilmore and there's no way we were going to pay him $15 million! Sucks that he's going to the Pats, but it's good to see they're tying up that much cap space on him.

Williams really didn't play last year and his neck injury was tragic, but at least he can walk away. But make no mistake, he was not really part of the secondary last year - and by the way - the secondary sucked w/Gilmore (as did the whole defense). So as I see it, any additions are good. Best of luck to the new coach and remember, Whaley is pretty adept at recognizing pro talent and has a very good track record w/FA's (see Zac Brown and LorAx).

And yet, there is almost no way the overall D can be worse than last year.

How was Rex so bad with such an awesome secondary?

I hate to say it, it might have been the change in secondary coach. I as much as I respect his game as a player and him being one of the all-time greats in the position, it was his first time coaching, and our corners paid the price.

However be ready to be flamed. The Rose color glasses of "no matter who the Bills sign it is an awesome signing" are out in full force last two days

so it's about the glasses and nothing to do with the present can turn out better in the future?

got it.

I don't predict the future or wallow in the doom and gloom. it's evident there are those, in every bunch, that want to throw around there doom and gloom as fact showing how narrow minded they are and really has nothing to do with those pretty glasses you speak of and everything to do with just remaining negative.

oh, I know, 17 years, it can never change, the past will always determine the future so no sense in trying to be positive or optimistic because after all, it's all about those pretty rose colored glasses.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

It was going to look like that no matter what if Gilmore left....you dont lose a player of that caliber and not have question marks.

I do really like Mika Hyde....dont know anything about the Poyer....thought Darby outplayed Gilmore in his first year....and had a bad second year.

Wild cards are the young players they aquired last year.....and free agency is far from over.

I am glad that if they made the decision to let Gilmore go....they did not panic and sign the Texans corner for practically the same money.