Bills interested in TE Jared Cook, Update Signed by Raiders

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cook and Bennett are definitely more receiver type players than Clay

I think Cook and Bennett have had more thrown to them. When given the opportunity Clay has shown ball skills, and elusiveness in the open field. But he runs blocks as well.

If we don't no playoffs. No matter what, its a PASSING LEAGUE!

If we had a defense like Denver's, our #10 scoring offense may have won a super bowl. I'm not saying it would have or not, but It kills me when we stick to cliches as fact of matter.

The thing that most of these Super Bowl contending teams have in common is defense. The better of them have offense as well, or at a minimum a QB. But I think was actually shown in the last 10 or 15 years is defense wins championships. I'm not saying the offense was good the last two years, but our defense was absolutely horrible.

Edited by JaxBills

If we plan on having 2 TE's (that we don't throw to) then I hope their plan is to get some shorter OL guys so Tyrod can see over the middle. How about those lifts they have for shoes? Otherwise this makes no sense

I think Cook and Bennett have had more thrown to them. When given the opportunity Clay has shown ball skills, and elusiveness in the open field. But he runs blocks as well.

Cook is faster and 6'5

Bennett is 6'6

I have no issue with Clay's versatility, but he is a much smaller than those other guys.

All of the focus is on getting Dennison his offensive pieces so far. Once they get a TE and WR, then they better start working on their defensive holes--WLB, CB, and S.

Edited by TPS

This would be a very nice move by the Bills. Cook is one of the more versatile TEs in the league. Definitely a good receiver. We haven't had TWO very good, proven, veteran TEs on the roster at the same time in a long time.

Pairing Cook up with Clay would make the Bills much less predictable. I happen to think that the two TE offense is one of the more difficult sets to stop because the defense is forced to contend with TEs who block in the running game and also sneak out into the passing game. This is one of the reasons why the Patriots' offense is so effective. The Pats now have Gronk and D. Allen at TE BTW.

I don't think that it necessarily means that the Bills won't seek to draft a WR.

Since they have some real holes defense at LB, S, and CB I see them trying to trade down in R1 so that they can acquire extra picks in order to adequately fill those holes. That is unless they are infatuated with QB D. Watson and the Clemson star QB s available at #10 overall. In that case, they may feel the need to forego their plan to trade down and select Watson instead, who some think is the next Dak Prescott.

Cook's hands are excellent and, when healthy, he makes a big difference in the passing game. He came up big for the Pack late last year and that will help his value. The only questions are health and the rationale for the Pack to let him go if the Bills and their limited cap space can afford him.

In such a deep draft TE class how about a WR or two.

You could easily reverse your question if the interest in WR's was being more publicized. It's a deep WR draft too and I'd fully expect our 1-2 to be WR-defence or defence-WR. Cook and Bennett are proven commodities, so the interest is logical

I am not buying that Tyrod does not like (or is incapable of) throwing to his tight ends.

While Clay was certainly under-utilized most of the season, I wonder how much of that had to do with health (he had nagging injuries early on), and the absence of Watkins from the lineup. Notice that once Sammy made it back on the field late in the season, Clay's production stepped up dramatically. In fact, he was one of the most productive TEs in the NFL during the final few weeks of the season.

Pairing him with another versatile TE has to be a good thing.

If we got Cook, adding a WR becomes a bit less necessary.

We really were just hit pretty bad w/ injuries last year. Watkins is back, & Hunter looked like he was developing nicely. Salas was actually a pretty good WR before he got hurt - definitely a decent #3 guy. Listenbee should be able to finally play. If they find a way to keep Woods, they could really stand pat. If not, they'd still be okay w/ a later round draft pick or inexpensive FA.

deep WR class as well. I'd rather get Cook. Focus on OT, WR, and safety and take a TE that falls to us (since it's a deep draft)

We really were just hit pretty bad w/ injuries last year. Watkins is back, & Hunter looked like he was developing nicely. Salas was actually a pretty good WR before he got hurt - definitely a decent #3 guy. Listenbee should be able to finally play. If they find a way to keep Woods, they could really stand pat. If not, they'd still be okay w/ a later round draft pick or inexpensive FA.

I am liking the idea of getting Cook, going with Watkins, Hunter, Salas, and drafting Goodwin (from PSU) in the later rounds. Then, get a game-changing safety or top OT in the first round. (unless Solomon Thomas falls to us, like he did in my fanspeak mock last week).

Salas is a FA

Salas is a FA

I was not aware of that. Still, can't imagine that the market for him will be too competitive.

Regardless, I think we're more okay at WR than most. If we can't re-sign Salas, I'm sure they'll move to get someone else - but I don't see us needing to spend a high-round pick on a guy.

Look for the kid from East Carolina in the 3rd....

Zay Jones might be there at the Bills pick in the 2nd (not taking a WR in the 1st would make him a logical pick in the 2nd), him being available in the 3rd would be shocking IMO at this point.

This would be a very nice move by the Bills. Cook is one of the more versatile TEs in the league. Definitely a good receiver. We haven't had TWO very good, proven, veteran TEs on the roster at the same time in a long time.

Pairing Cook up with Clay would make the Bills much less predictable. I happen to think that the two TE offense is one of the more difficult sets to stop because the defense is forced to contend with TEs who block in the running game and also sneak out into the passing game. This is one of the reasons why the Patriots' offense is so effective. The Pats now have Gronk and D. Allen at TE BTW.

I don't think that it necessarily means that the Bills won't seek to draft a WR.

Since they have some real holes defense at LB, S, and CB I see them trying to trade down in R1 so that they can acquire extra picks in order to adequately fill those holes. That is unless they are infatuated with QB D. Watson and the Clemson star QB s available at #10 overall. In that case, they may feel the need to forego their plan to trade down and select Watson instead, who some think is the next Dak Prescott.

Good post !

probably means they don't think Gragg or O'Leary are that good.

I think they are keeping one of them. Likely O'Leary and not signing Gragg

I was not aware of that. Still, can't imagine that the market for him will be too competitive.

Regardless, I think we're more okay at WR than most. If we can't re-sign Salas, I'm sure they'll move to get someone else - but I don't see us needing to spend a high-round pick on a guy.

Powell is a low buck signing