Report: "Tyrod unwilling to take less to remain with bills"

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno - why should he? If he walks he'll still get paid pretty handsomely. He'd be the top option on the open market, and is still young.

Cousins probably isn't available. Romo requires a trade - so pieces have to move. Brees/Rivers aren't likely to happen. And there are many teams looking for upgrades.

SF

BUF

LAR

JAX

HOU

NYJ

DEN

CLE

ZONA

CHI

Edited by dneveu

The fact that there are so many "potential" suitors could help us in the trade avenue. A team may be willing to part with a mid round pick for Tyrod if it meant eliminating competition with other teams

Is there an option for a sign and trade?

When you trade a player you are hit with a cap penalty equal to the remaining guaranteed money on their deal. So, unless you get him to restructure for little to no guaranteed money (which he would never do), the Bills would not be able to absorb the cap penalty of trading him.

When you trade a player you are hit with a cap penalty equal to the remaining guaranteed money on their deal. So, unless you get him to restructure for little to no guaranteed money (which he would never do), the Bills would not be able to absorb the cap penalty of trading him.

We'd be on the hook for the option bonus but it'd accelerate to this years cap. We would not be responsible for the 2017 base salary guarantee however.

With what TT has done as far as stats & all he is worth what the "Bills" agree'd to in the contract, if you didn't think he was worth it then why put that amount on the table ?

TT is the best QB the Bills have had since shoot i can't remember Flutie let's say & with the proper coaching can get the Bills into the play offs so pay the man !!

So it's like well Buffalo you made your bed now lay in it !!

What i would like to know is WHO agree'd to this contract & signed it if they weren't going to go through with it ? The Bills have a history of coming up with these great idea's of signing contracts then in some way voiding them, that person or persons need to be fired !!

They did it with Fitz, now Rex if your going to agree to these things then stay the course you can't be changing your mind every couple years or less . Or make the person that agree's to these contracts accountable for them .

You sure don't see the Pats, Green bay, Steelers making stupid moves like this & once every 10 years wouldn't be bad but like i referenced earlier if you go back further you can come up with a lot more contracts the Bills had to pay for after these folks were gone .

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/02/10/report-tyrod-taylor-unwilling-to-take-less-to-stay-with-bills/

Dick Juaron, Chan Gailey, Marrone, Fitz, Rex, & now maybe Tyrod WTF some one needs to knock this crap off ! If it was in my wheel house some heads would be rolling just saying !!!

Edited by T master

Lot of TT talk on Sirius NFL today - Ross Tucker said that if TT hits FA he'll be the best option out there this year and that he's far better than any QB coming out of college (said they all need a year on the bench). His co-host (not quite sure who that was today) completely agreed...

Interesting that he's such a great option to everyone. But the Bills.

Bye-rod!

Remember when Doug Marrone thought he was a hot commodity? Good luck, backup.

First of all, we don't know if Marrone thought he was a hot commodity. In fact, he says he did NOT expect to get another HC job right away and that's not why he left.

Second of all, it's entirely different. Marrone had the opportunity to walk out of a contract and still get paid. Marrone had to act and by his actions made it clear he didn't want to be in Buffalo. Taylor wants to stay and - in any case - has no choice. This time it's the team, not the player, who has to choose.

The two situations are not analogous.

As he shouldn't. It's a great deal and he can easily get more on the open market. I don't blame him at all.

I tried to tell everyone who thought the Bills had Taylor over a barrel that it wasn't the case. Taylor has a big fat payday waiting in free agency and zero reason to cut the Bills any slack. You wouldn't listen to me.

The fact that there are so many "potential" suitors could help us in the trade avenue. A team may be willing to part with a mid round pick for Tyrod if it meant eliminating competition with other teams

There is a very narrow window - three days - to pull that off. And it would require multiple suitors to pull off.

Except the Bills are under no obligation until March 12. If he's traded before then, the Bills owe him nothing. We won't have a QB either. :doh:

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I would start to have concerns about him if he did. TT will be snatched up quickly in FA if we are silly enough to let that happen. Looking at the decision making process of the Bills organization makes Buffalo a hard sell for players. The Lorax says that his decision on whether to stay in Buffalo or not will be influenced on whether TT comes back.

He isn't taking less money to stay. The Bills and Tyrod both know that he can get $30M plus guaranteed on the open market. This isn't a situation where the Bills have been so good to him that he owes them one. They signed him for dirt cheap, put him on a prove-it deal in 2016 and the market says that he is absolutely a $15M + AAV QB. If the Bills choose to restructure, that may be an option but a pay cut isn't.

Lot of TT talk on Sirius NFL today - Ross Tucker said that if TT hits FA he'll be the best option out there this year and that he's far better than any QB coming out of college (said they all need a year on the bench). His co-host (not quite sure who that was today) completely agreed...

Interesting that he's such a great option to everyone. But the Bills fans like Gugny.

I would prefer to keep him as a bridge qb. However, it seems that the people who are the most torn about keeping him reside in the organization. Many people make the argument that he is by far our best qb since Kelly. Without question that is a fair judgment. But he being our best option at qb right now isn't the bigger issue facing this front office. The crucial issue for them is whether TT as our franchise qb beyond the next couple of years is our best option at qb to compete on a bigger stage. The next sequential question becomes if you commit to him are you foreclosing other better options at that position? This is not a simple issue and there are merits on both sides of the argument.

It has to be remembered that what brought on this hot contested issue is that TT's play last year didn't indicate a progression from his first year here. If he would have made more progress in last year there would not be an issue surrounding the qb position. It's what happened on the field that made the organization re-visit the qb issue. That point has to be remembered.

I would start to have concerns about him if he did. TT will be snatched up quickly in FA if we are silly enough to let that happen. Looking at the decision making process of the Bills organization makes Buffalo a hard sell for players. The Lorax says that his decision on whether to stay in Buffalo or not will be influenced on whether TT comes back.

It will absolutely be a black eye on the Bills. Outsiders (agents, players, etc...) are going to look at the situation and say that the Bills did not treat him well. I don't think that is even debatable. The contract that he was offered is certainly on the low end of the market for his production. Even still, they pulled the plug on him. Whether or not moving on is the right decision, that will be the perception. In general, the Bills have had a pretty good reputation for how they treat players recently but that is starting to change.

I would prefer to keep him as a bridge qb. However, it seems that the people who are the most torn about keeping him reside in the organization. Many people make the argument that he is by far our best qb since Kelly. Without question that is a fair judgment. But he being our best option at qb right now isn't the bigger issue facing this front office. The crucial issue for them is whether TT as our franchise qb beyond the next couple of years is our best option at qb to compete on a bigger stage. The next sequential question becomes if you commit to him are you foreclosing other better options at that position? This is not a simple issue and there are merits on both sides of the argument.

It has to be remembered that what brought on this hot contested issue is that TT's play last year didn't indicate a progression from his first year here. If he would have made more progress in last year there would not be an issue surrounding the qb position. It's what happened on the field that made the organization re-visit the qb issue. That point has to be remembered.

Most people can't see that. Bravo. Yes, committing 30 million to Tyrod Taylor does change the options you have at QB. The Bills themselves said that they would pick up the option if TT was in their LONG TERM PLANS. So if we pick up TT then you are selling us on paying a QB 30 million who can't hit receivers in stride, who can only throw 2 main routes, and depends on running to get first downs.

You also will then not pick a QB in the first 3 rounds for at least 2 years. That would be horrible just to sell fans on false hope who still think this group is a playoff team.

Most people can't see that. Bravo. Yes, committing 30 million to Tyrod Taylor does change the options you have at QB. The Bills themselves said that they would pick up the option if TT was in their LONG TERM PLANS. So if we pick up TT then you are selling us on paying a QB 30 million who can't hit receivers in stride, who can only throw 2 main routes, and depends on running to get first downs.

You also will then not pick a QB in the first 3 rounds for at least 2 years. That would be horrible just to sell fans on false hope who still think this group is a playoff team.

Why can't you pick up a QB in the first 3 rounds for at least 2 years?

Not having Sammy last year made it tough for this guy. I say keep him. He is not making top tier money. Get some guys to throw it to. The Bills had to pull in Percy freaking Harvin last year for crying out loud. Get some receivers and keep the guy who is being talked up as "the best FA to hit the market if the Bills cut him."

That's the big questions John and a good one. My guess is that you are certainly married to him for AT LEAST 2 years. You are probably out on a QB (at least early this year), next year would be dependent on his play. If they are going to cut ties after 2018 then I could see a guy in the 2018 draft.

I think just 2017. The Bills can walk away from Tyrod after 2018. If they like a guy in 2018 they can certainly pull the trigger.

So Bills fans and Bills analysts hate Tyrod, everyone else in the league thinks he's the best QB option if he becomes available.

Sounds about right.

Fully.

The funny part about the Sirius argument, is that they agree with Bills fans, saying that Tyrod is likely a bridge QB for the next 2 - 3 years while you get a rook ready. But they added that he's going to get at least what the Bills are offering on the open market and that his salary is the going rate for a middle-of-pack QB with potential (or at least that hasn't completely flamed out).

Will definitely be interesting to see what happens over the next few weeks... :beer:

Marrone hurt himself the way he left the Bills. I think that was a big reason why teams began to look at him as a quitter. The TT case at hand is completely different.

That part of it is different, I agree.

What is the same is that Marrone thought he was more in demand than what reality proved. He thought it was imminent that he'd be hired as a HC elsewhere.

TT thinks it's imminent that he'll be signed on as an undisputed starter elsewhere.

I didn't see it with Marrone; and I don't see it with Taylor.

Such an in-demand QB will surely net the Bills some nice draft picks. Taylors agent doing a nice job of stirring things up. Time for Whaley to leak that Taylor is available for trade. Bidding starts at a 1st and a 4th.

Not if everybody knows you will be forced to let him go, for financial reasons.

DO NOT re-sign him. Take that money give it to Romo. When Tony gets here, all of our troubles will go away. He can see the middle of the field and he will hit Walter Powell in STRIDE. Tony will also fill the gap at strong safety. We can pay Tony a little more to help us install a 4-3 defense and keep Kyle Williams from retiring. It's a steal when you do the math.