Rex Ryan on his NFL future: "I'm tired of getting !@#&#036

YoloinOhio

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing is going to work. Wait until Brady retires in 5-6 years and then give it a run.

Ralph knew what he was doing. Pay the least amount possible for the coaching staff knowing in advance it wasn't going to work out.

That is one of the greatest strategies ever. Admit defeat and throw as much trash on the fire as possible. Oh that's right the NFL is just show me the money, which Pegs did. He certainly showed him the money.

Edited by iinii

As I have said since day 1, this was a bad hire and Rex is a f'kin clown. Now he goes and proves it. Just wish I had the clownlike ability to grab 15 mil for not working.

The joke's on Wrecks...when he goes to file for unemployment benefits, that 15 million will bite him on the backside. :nana:

I said it two year ago and I'll say it again now.

Why the !@#$ did we hire this guy?

Its obvious Kim and Terry don't know very much about the NFL and didn't watch prior to becoming owners.

There were a lot of knowledgeable players and coaches who believed in Rex back then. The narrative went something like this. When Rex was a DC in Baltimore, he was spectacularly successful. When he first went to the Jets, he was successful but not having a franchise QB hurt him. Later on with a new GM in NY, not having enough talent anywhere made any hope of winning futile.

I'm sure that's still the narrative that plays in Rex's mind. But now there's a new chapter. Injuries plagued his 2016 season. Injuries cost him the playoffs and that cost him his job. That's what he seems to be saying.

I think the Pegulas saw a coach who took over a middling team and kept it a middling team. Worse, they lost faith. They didn't see him leading the team in a way that was likely to produce playoff and Super Bowl appearances. So they did the right thing and fired him.

Rex is not a bad coach. His record says he's a roughly average coach (he's only barely under .500). In other words, he's about the same as the typical NFL coach hired by the typical NFL owner. In hindsight, it's clear the Pegulas made a bad decision hiring Rex. Of course, many posters here predicted it wouldn't work out well. Even a broken clock is right twice a day. There's nothing here to make an intelligent observer conclude that the Pegulas are clueless owners who don't know football as well as the average owner. If the Pegulas hadn't hired Rex, some other team would have. His reputation in some NFL circles was still solid back then.

Nothing is going to work. Wait until Brady retires in 5-6 years and then give it a run.

Ralph knew what he was doing. Pay the least amount possible for the coaching staff knowing in advance it wasn't going to work out.

How about 5-6 weeks?

Assuming they win the Super Bowl (which they will).

There were a lot of knowledgeable players and coaches who believed in Rex back then. The narrative went something like this. When Rex was a DC in Baltimore, he was spectacularly successful. When he first went to the Jets, he was successful but not having a franchise QB hurt him. Later on with a new GM in NY, not having enough talent anywhere made any hope of winning futile.

I'm sure that's still the narrative that plays in Rex's mind. But now there's a new chapter. Injuries plagued his 2016 season. Injuries cost him the playoffs and that cost him his job. That's what he seems to be saying.

I think the Pegulas saw a coach who took over a middling team and kept it a middling team. Worse, they lost faith. They didn't see him leading the team in a way that was likely to produce playoff and Super Bowl appearances. So they did the right thing and fired him.

Rex is not a bad coach. His record says he's a roughly average coach (he's only barely under .500). In other words, he's about the same as the typical NFL coach hired by the typical NFL owner. In hindsight, it's clear the Pegulas made a bad decision hiring Rex. Of course, many posters here predicted it wouldn't work out well. Even a broken clock is right twice a day. There's nothing here to make an intelligent observer conclude that the Pegulas are clueless owners who don't know football as well as the average owner. If the Pegulas hadn't hired Rex, some other team would have. His reputation in some NFL circles was still solid back then.

The loss of talent in NY was overblown. He sucked there for the most part. The defense didn't just suck in Buffalo because of injuries.

He's a bad HC who had a couple lightning in a bottle seasons. His career is over and he knows it.

As far as Rex, I like his personality and how he embraced the city. But as a coach, I thought he was below average from not putting in the time (being last to arrive and first to leave everyday (as reported by Sal C. from WGR550) and not tailoring the defense based on the strengths of his players.

I said it two year ago and I'll say it again now.

Why the !@#$ did we hire this guy?

Its obvious Kim and Terry don't know very much about the NFL and didn't watch prior to becoming owners.

First-time owners who made a mistake and didn't have a GM with the wherewithal or guts to tell them before it was done.

While they deserve blame for the hire, I applaud Terry and Kim for pulling the plug quickly after recognizing they screwed up rather than rationalizing it in their brains and prolonging the inevitable.

I don't know why Rex did this interview. It did not serve him or his future interests well, IMO.

The article makes Rex Ryan sound far more erratic and babbling than I thought he was as a person. The emotions and the thought process are all over the place.

Ill help ya out rex. Our defense went from 4th to 19th. You had a sub five hundred record here with owners who want to win championships. You instill zero discipline in your players and your game day management sucks. Nice job having ten guys on the field vs Miami. Thats why you got fired. MORON!!!!!

I don't know why Rex did this interview. It did not serve him or his future interests well, IMO.

The article makes Rex Ryan sound far more erratic and babbling than I thought he was as a person. The emotions and the thought process are all over the place.

He knows his coaching career is over.

I thought Rex was a clown in NJ but gave him the benefit of the doubt that he learned from his first HC stint, had some success, knew the division, and I still believe Idzik stripped him of talent with the Jets. I supported him until about halfway through this year when it appeared to me he was mailing it in and shirking accountability. I strongly dislike how he decided to go out with this interview. Classless and shrugging his shoulders.

My feelings on Rex pretty much followed the exact same pattern. Agree with every word of your post.

Typical rich kid spoiled brat mentality. When he's actually held accountable- its everyone else's fault and screw them.

Poor Rex, an unfortunate victim of wrongful employment due to nepotism. No business being an NFL head coach.

Without his daddy's name he'd be some sort of mid level sales manager having to work for a living instead of an independently wealthy walking talking sound byte...

$25M for two seasons of head coaching is a good deal for Pegula how?

$25M for two seasons of head coaching is a good deal for Pegula how?

conventional wisdom suggests you wait it out and give rr time to build it. problem was, the issues that plagued him in ny continued to plague him in year two in wny. big mouth, big promises, and a consistently incomplete package on the field. he brought his brother in to help coach and it seemed at times to go from bad to worse.

in that sense, I respect the Pegula's decision to eat the remaining contract and rip the band aid off. when I read this story--and seeing how rr really looks at the world, I wonder what cracks there were in the façade behind the scenes.

for what it's worth, had he stayed, I'd have supported him. when he left, I wished him well. when I read this, I thought "what a small-minded, petty and bitter man.".

now I'm going to get a g-d snack.

I like how it talks about 'if he has a chance, a real chance he'll be back'. So basically he wants a super bowl team handed to him. I liked and supported him when he was here but man, f him now.

If he hadn't destroyed a great defense with a gimmick scheme, he may have had that.

Not sure why Rex feels like he got a bad deal? He was a self-proclaimed defensive guru that took a good defense and made it bad. He made some indefensible in game decisions (punting in OT vs. Miami) and couldn't get the right packages (or even right number of guys) on the field. I'm not sure where he thinks the blame for all of that should fall?

Not sure why Rex feels like he got a bad deal? He was a self-proclaimed defensive guru that took a good defense and made it bad. He made some indefensible in game decisions (punting in OT vs. Miami) and couldn't get the right packages (or even right number of guys) on the field. I'm not sure where he thinks the blame for all of that should fall?

Rex never had the locker room behind him. He probably blames them because he was so used to having them in NY. The difference was, Rex never bothered to win them over. It's still his fault, but I bet that's his delusion. That he was never fully supported as HC.

When Rex came into Buffalo, it seemed that he clearly understood the Bills fan base. We've endured 17 years without a playoff game and yet don't walk away from out team. We're behind our coach and our players no matter what, almost to a fault. He is the one that dismantled the defense. Let's fire the DC of the 2nd best defense in the NFL so that he can ultimately hand the job to his brother. Ryan turned a $95 million pass rushing defensive tackle into a run stuffing nose tackle. As for the quarterback, Orton didn't quit, he retired. Irrelevant anyway, as Taylor is better than him. I didn't care about any of these changes, until his last statement. "He'll root for the Jets". I have to wonder what he has to gain by saying thisw. That final statement is pretty much giving Bills fans the middle finger. It makes him no better than "cash out" Marrone. It's crystal clear that he never understood this team or the fans at all. Good riddance.

Rex never had the locker room behind him. He probably blames them because he was so used to having them in NY. The difference was, Rex never bothered to win them over. It's still his fault, but I bet that's his delusion. That he was never fully supported as HC.

That, as well as injuries and not having those lost picks to use from the Watkins trade.

All happened because he didn't feel wanted :(