Who will be our OC?

YoloinOhio

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not inspired at all by the retreads. There are some very bright young minds out there. No one knew who Sean McVay was when he was promoted from a tight ends coach to OC for Washington. I would not mind at all if McDermott tapped someone who we have not heard of yet.

I watched him run the worst offense that I have ever seen at LSU. He did less with more than any coach that I have ever seen (combined with Miles).

None of these guys left do much for me. What about Sonny Dykes? Any interest from the masses? These retreads that weren't good (outside of Musgrave) aren't all that inspiring.

Les Miles was the problem. Their offense always underachieved. Edited by TheTruthHurts

Les Miles was the problem. Their offense always underachieved.

Don't disagree but Cameron was the OC of that abysmal offense. He certainly isn't blameless. Cameron does nothing for me.

I think that I want outside the box here. Originally I was hoping for McCoy but now give me someone with upside. It may blow up in our face or it may pay dividends. That's a better option to me than below average.

Don't disagree but Cameron was the OC of that abysmal offense. He certainly isn't blameless. Cameron does nothing for me.

I think that I want outside the box here. Originally I was hoping for McCoy but now give me someone with upside. It may blow up in our face or it may pay dividends. That's a better option to me than below average.

His track record is not below average. Research his history.

I'd like to see some fresh blood in at coordinator rather than an older cat. There's a guy over in KC that was hired on by Andy Reid around the same time as McDermott. He also just so happens to be the guy that has developed Travis Kelce into the beast that he is today.

Additionally, it looks like McDermott it hiring all of Andy Reid's 2002 Eagles staff, and this guy is one of the assistants on the team.

So, if we're gonna go in that direction, I'd like to take a look at Tom Melvin.

I'd like to see some fresh blood in at coordinator rather than an older cat. There's a guy over in KC that was hired on by Andy Reid around the same time as McDermott. He also just so happens to be the guy that has developed Travis Kelce into the beast that he is today.

Additionally, it looks like McDermott it hiring all of Andy Reid's 2002 Eagles staff, and this guy is one of the assistants on the team.

Good find...

I know he got fired midseason, but I liked the idea of Mark Trestman. I don't know what happened in Baltimore, but he was a great offensive mind.

but he really hasn't been successful as a coach...a decent year in Chicago but also had Forte, Brandon Marshall and Jeffrey

I'll throw out the 10,000,000 - 1 long shot - Lane Kiffin. He just took the FAU job but he has low enough character to bolt immediately. He may see an NFL OC job as a quicker path to a power 5 job or NFL HC job than FAU. Again, not at all likely but thinking outside the box.

I'd be ok with this.

Really...cuz it was the Defense that held this team back this year, not the offense

amazing how so many ignore this

Still not seeing anything that says McCoy ways hired by Denver. 1 tweet from some guy at 7pm saying "finalizing". Then crickets. On top of that, thatbtweet didnt get any momentum till almost 10pm. Unless I missed something McCoy to Denver isnt official yet. Most reports of finalizing dont go into the next day before you here of the hiring especially for an OC. It may look like its happening but it hasnt yet

http://www.9news.com/sports/nfl/denver-broncos/mike-mccoy-will-return-as-broncos-offensive-coordinator/385665043

Yea that still doenst say hes been hired. Its just a report from the guy who tweeted that they were finalizing at 7pm. I find it strange there hasnt been an official announcement from Denver a full 13 hrs later. For a coordinator. These things tend to get done much quicker than that.

Bill Musgrave was Frazier's OC in Minnesota. Both Childress and Nagy (co-OC for the Chiefs) were with the Eagles with McDermott. Per Sal Capaccio, Duce Staley is the RB coach in Philly but has been rising through the ranks so he could be a possibility as an up-and-comer.

I know he got fired midseason, but I liked the idea of Mark Trestman. I don't know what happened in Baltimore, but he was a great offensive mind.

Marc Trestman - has an unusual backstory as I recall. After graduating from law school he worked in football for a while but then left to be a stockbroker for 3 or 4 years. Then Bill Walsh asked him if he wanted to return to the NFL.

Smart guy.

Musgrave?

Bill Musgrave did a decent job with the Raiders and no idea why they allowed his contract to expire and not re-up. That Raider offense really carried the team this year.

Someone mentioned Cam Cameron who did develop Joe Flacco and runs an offense just like Anthony Lynn, Greg Roman.

Edited by Nihilarian

I want someone who will be passing game oriented. Someone who will look to spread things out and attack early and often. Get a balanced attack by throwing it around and opening up space for the runners. We need more athleticism and speed on offense. Get 3-4 playmakers outside with McCoy and TT?.

Edited by horned dogs

wa075.035055.27.jpg

That's kind of funny....but rather than a picture, could you elaborate as to why?

The narrative is Oakland let him move on 'cuz he's an out of touch dufus.

Not sure I buy that

EDIT: I didn't see the quotation mark and misread your statement, my bad...I deleted my initial response...hey, Friday morning - bar of expectations should be set pretty low.

Edited by BigBuff423

Bill Musgrave did a decent job with the Raiders and no idea why they allowed his contract to expire and not re-up. That Raider offense really carried the team this year.

Someone mentioned Cam Cameron who did develop Joe Flacco and runs an offense just like Anthony Lynn, Greg Roman.

I think its because they really like Downing and were afraid another team was going to poach him for their OC.

There's an interesting name. Does he have any connections to the staff? I know some people were advocating for Kyle Shanahan and La Fleur a couple weeks back.

The only tie he has with Buffalo,would be working with Bill Kollar in Houston.

Maybe we should just roll the dice and see what Sanjay Lal can do. Don't want scraps that have been picked over.

I'm not sure what "scraps that have been picked over"

Just like the HC search, there are typically two kinds of OCs in the league:

1) previous OCs who are currently unemployed, either because they got the boot as OC, or were given a shot at HC and fired

2) offensive assistants promoted to OC

Just like the HC search, either way you may get a stud or a dud - from promoted offensive assistant, you don't know how capable they are to craft an offense and make creative and game-aware calls until they do. From previous OCs, you know something about their offense, but you may not know how much was them and how much their HC, how much was the personnel they had and can they adapt.

There are plenty of both still around. Wait and see.

I'm not sure what "scraps that have been picked over"

Just like the HC search, there are typically two kinds of OCs in the league:

1) previous OCs who are currently unemployed, either because they got the boot as OC, or were given a shot at HC and fired

2) offensive assistants promoted to OC

Just like the HC search, either way you may get a stud or a dud - from promoted offensive assistant, you don't know how capable they are to craft an offense and make creative and game-aware calls until they do. From previous OCs, you know something about their offense, but you may not know how much was them and how much their HC, how much was the personnel they had and can they adapt.

There are plenty of both still around. Wait and see.

Unfortunately category 2 is very limited. Many NFL teams are blocking their QB gurus from moving on. See Oakland and Philadelphia. So this category you can can't grab the next diamond as easily.

Edited by jeffismagic